My daughter wants to join the site.....

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like jewelry, so I don't bother buying that stuff anyway. XD

Something somewhere, got slightly off topic.

I say, wait for her to mature, then let her join the site.
Roleplaying is hard work, you know.

I mean, from what I noticed, a fair amount of the younger members tend not to stay long. >.>

Then come back, or not, or something...

But then again we have threads like charizarding all over the place.​
AND ALOT of cursing.​
And a fair amount of unacceptable behaviour is done in roleplays... Soooooooooo...​
[rainbow]You probably shouldn't let her join right now.[/rainbow]​
Ser K+©​
The Internet​
IwakuRoleplay® March 2014​

I mean, from what I noticed, a fair amount of the younger members tend not to stay long. >.>

AND ALOT of cursing.​
And a fair amount of unacceptable behaviour is done in roleplays... Soooooooooo...​
Ser K+©​
The Internet​
IwakuRoleplay® March 2014​
Lol!

Yeah, she asked if she could read one of my roleplays, and I had to change the subject. As of right now I have one PG rated roleplay that I could let her read, the rest are either extremely twisted, or full of adult situations that I'd rather not expose her to.

Thank goodness for the 18+ section. I wouldn't want anyone her age reading my twisted ideas for roleplays....o.o

Reactions: Lysander
But then again we have threads like charizarding all over the place.
AND ALOT of cursing.​
Ser K+​The Internet​IwakuRoleplay® March 2014​
That makes such good roasting material though.

• Love
I'm not gonna lie. I skipped most of this thread after the first couple pages. There have been many valid points regarding your situation. My take on everything breaks down to a few items.

First, she will be exposed to the types of things that some of the members have been warning you about regardless if its here or elsewhere. If your daughter is on this site with you, it gives you a chance to put it into context. Next, if you could be involved in an RP together that would simply be epic. Parents spend so much time trying to think of ways to reach and bond with their kids and you're being spoon-fed a great opportunity. Finally, with the age restrictions of Libertine and Liberteen and PMs, I see no reason why you would feel like your safe haven has been compromised. Ultimately, you have to trust yourself and be able to find comfort in your decision.

Someone may have already said these things but I wasn't about to read all 14 pages.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I wouldn't want anyone her age reading my twisted ideas for roleplays
I'm honestly too afraid to even touch the liberteen section, let alone see what you adults are doing in your steam-thread.

That makes such good roasting material though.
Noted. But I'd rather boil it.

---
@WarriorHeart makes some good points, being in an RP with your child would be like playing a co-operative game or skill that you could easily teach them how to perform , and watch then grow better at.
Which would be awesome.

Maybe not the best comparison, but you get the point. ^^;

Reactions: WarriorHeart
14 Pages? Oh geez. I'm going to rehash some shit I'm sure.

#1: Unless you block her from the Internet, she'll join another RP site. With hookers, and blackjack. Only it might be a site where the moderators are completely insane and don't care about her age or protecting her from otherwise avariciously vicious villainous fiends.

#2: It's a good way to bond, but it's also a good way to just step back and let her learn, and only offer suggestions on the side as a wise sagely parent. Maybe over breakfast you can talk about a role play and help her figure out what to do next if she feels stumped. It always feels better to figure something out than to have someone tell you what to do! I've learned this from teaching others. :bsmile:

#3: Don't be surprised if this ends up being a temporary phase. Lots of people think they'll stay with role playing forever, only to burn out on it after a couple months and leave. It's just the nature of the beast, it's not meant for everyone like many other things out there in life.

#4: Prepare to cringe at what she writes. It'll be some pretty tripe teenage angsty shit. It'll be like that for a while (read: months) if she chooses to stick with role playing. Don't try to correct it, it's self expression & exploration at its healthiest since it's in a fantasy environment.

#5: Since she's underaged, I'd imagine she can't see what you do in the libertine section anyway. If she does somehow stumble on it, it just makes for an amazing segway into the "Birds and the Bees" speech you'll have to do at some point anyway.

That's my two cents as sensei ferret. Hope it's helpful. :ferret:

Don't try to correct it, it's self expression & exploration at its healthiest since it's in a fantasy environment.
Yet go right ahead in roasting it and criticizing/reviewing it among others. :P

Have you read this thread? This thread has been more off-topic then on topic. I know; I CHECKED!

AND ALOT of cursing.​
Honestly Iwaku is pretty tame compared to lots of places on the Internet; plus you can know that most people on here are just joking around, caring, and can-be-when-they-want-to-be mature. So basically if she is going to be exposed to the Internet, better to do it in a community like this one.

Roleplaying is as much work as you make it be. Its purpose is entertainment and learning. If people don't want to RP here they don't have too. Plus if the daughter find's out she doesn't want to RP on this site and leaves the whole point of this thread is pretty much invalid.

Reactions: Ser K+
Why do I get the feeling that half the people following this thread are going to be checking the new people to see if one of them is my daughter? o.O

@Nydanna: If they weren't going to do it before; now they will.

Also the fact we have a fucking 14 page long thread about her makes us too damn curious to meet her.

Rofl! Yeah, she's in school and I'm on her laptop at the moment, so she hasn't joined yet. :P I don't think I'm going to broadcast when, and if she joins. I'll let her be some anonymous member.

Why do I get the feeling that half the people following this thread are going to be checking the new people to see if one of them is my daughter? o.O
I'm not. I have a feeling I'll get word of who she is by someone in General chat sooner or later.

Rofl! Yeah, she's in school and I'm on her laptop at the moment, so she hasn't joined yet. :P I don't think I'm going to broadcast when, and if she joins. I'll let her be some anonymous member.
Good, this is the way to go about it me thinks.

Yeah in all truth. That much attention would be way too scary for a newbie; especially a girl in her early teens; who hasn't been on a roleplay forum before. So even if she does join, and I do accidentally find out I promise not to smother her and to protect her from smothering. Personally I'm just thinking about how I would react if my first experience with roleplying forums had been smothering....

....I probably would have ran.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Yeah in all truth. That much attention would be way too scary for a newbie; especially a girl in her early teens; who hasn't been on a roleplay forum before. So even if she does join, and I do accidentally find out I promise not to smother her and to protect her from smothering. Personally I'm just thinking about how I would react if my first experience with roleplying forums had been smothering....

....I probably would have ran.
My first was rather big hate from one of the Mods.
Community liked me, enough I eventually followed me to a new site where I was an admin. XD
But yea, at the start I had the anti-smothering welcome. :P

My first was rather big hate from one of the Mods.
Community liked me, enough I eventually followed me to a new site where I was an admin. XD
But yea, at the start I had the anti-smothering welcome. :P
A mod also spewed hate on me on my first week on a roleplay forum, but that actually fuelled me to go somewhere else and into having fun and good roleplay just to spite them.... so that worked out well. I think. Maybe I'm filled with spite. Maybe I need to see a therapist. What I do need is; I need to stop just writing whatever comes into my head.

Edit: Well it worked out well until I figured out the mods of my new forum where just subtle tyrant's who liked to manipulate people in order to control them. Then they harassed me with insults which were just... bad insults and honestly most offensive part about it was how bad the insults where, because if your a mod of a writing site and can't come up with pithy insults; why do you even try? Then I left and came here; which has been great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.