Mission: Z (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Hero, Dexter, Otto, Lauren, Riley

Evie had become completely embroiled in petting Hero, a warm, beaming grin on her face as she giggled at the dog's excitability. Not noticing Dex moving off inside, she continued to coo at the dog, scratching his chin, ruffling his head, rubbing behind his ears.

"Who's a good boy?" she fawned. However, the pattering of intermittent rain on the back of her neck soon caused her to change her tone. At first, a couple of droplets. Then, the heavens opened. With quite a shrill squeak of surprise, she darted into the cover of the sci-port, pushing her now-dampened fringe to the side. One moment later and the room had fallen to silence. They'd had one near miss already, now they were back in danger again.

Scavenging old buildings was always the most dangerous part of the apocalypse - it was also the most necessary. The dangers didn't end with lurking infected, there was always a chance of tripping an old security system, cutting yourself on shattered glass and jagged objects; the concept of health and safety no longer applied.

"Weapons up," Dex ordered, an air of hesitation about him. Evie frowned lightly. Was he hesitant about the dangers ahead or, what he saw as, the potential dangers around him. She'd have to take him at his word that he was sincere in his order, so, unslinging her bow from her back, she rested an arrow on the string just in case she had to fire in an emergency. "And keep an eye out for any keys that could belong to that truck outside. It's not opened, so it's likely still full of food," Dex added.

"Maybe we should look for offices of some kind. Y'know, shipping and manifesting and the like," Evie offered, her tone low and hushed. Not waiting for a response to her suggestion, she followed in close behind Dex. She got two feelings from the man: firstly that he'd probably feel a lot more comfortable knowing where she was and what she was doing, secondly that he was probably dependable and the safest to stick with out of the group.

Moving into the next room, the signs on the wall indicated the direction of the kitchen. She hadn't been privy to the earlier discussion that that was their destination, but the delicate rumbling and gurgling of her stomach was indicative enough that that's where she wanted to be. Tapping Dex lightly on the shoulder, she gestured to the sign which pointed further down the corridor, right to the end.​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (2):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)
- Otto's Canteen

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

Otto Williams
Interaction: Dexter
Mentioned: Lauren, Hero, Evie and Riley
-

He had already been in the door when the rain had started and almost got bowled over by Hero, Evie and Dexter when they rabbited inside with himself and the other two. He stepped to the side and gave one last look outside before the door was shut. "I hope that wasn't the beginning of something worse." He thought to himself, he knew it was hurricane season but with not radar to tell what was happening out in the ocean none of them would be able to know if that was a small storm outside or the beginning of a monster of a storm. He listened to Dexter and Evie's response before he made his voice known. "Dexter we are kinda handicapped here, the only person with close quarters weapons that would be ideal is your cousin Lauren there." Otto pointed to the woman, she had a ar15 with a stock that could be shortened or extended as needed this coupled with her weapon's shorter barrel length made her able to clear rooms much easier. Plus her Walther PPKs would be ideal for taking small rooms as well. "I got a large rifle, you got a knife, Evie has a bow and your sister has a bat. Out of all of us your sister has the best weapon excluding your cousin of course but even then a bat may be a bit unwieldy in any tight corridors we go through, your knife wouldn't be best as it may get stuck in a body of an infected and gun shots would bring more to us. Look I know you probably still don't fully trust Evie or myself but you have shown that you are willing to trust me a bit and I am asking you to trust me again, I think we should look for some smaller blunt weapons to arm ourselves with just for the time being until we are sure the building is completely safe." Otto wouldn't say he was paranoid but he had suffered before for not taking the proper steps to ensure he had the best chances in any given situation and fortunately none of those times he had put his life on the line but this was different, this was life or death. "Look I think we should find some blunt weapons for all of us and have your cousin be the primarily armed person here in the event we need to go weapons hot but as it stands you are the defacto leader of this group so the final decision is up to you." Otto finished before looking around the room they were in, still needed to remain watchful after all.
-
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
Machete x1
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full) ((In Evie's position))
30-06 rounds x20 (Five in rifle, 15 ready to load)
1903A3 Springfield

Interaction: @VengefulPeanut

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natalia couldn't help but smile as Jack bit into his food happily. She understood completely, with everything happening being able to sit down and enjoy a meal could feel magical sometimes. "Old police station wasn't as great as we were hoping. Most of the guns were already looted, all the good supplies were too. Got a couple of Glock 17's, 9 magazines in accompaniment and an MP7 machine pistol - god knows how it got there - with 3 magazines." Natalia nodded as she listed the items in her head. She took a bite of her own sandwich as she started to already plan what to do with all of the new weapons. "Like I said, not the biggest haul but the place wasn't exactly a gold mine, anyway. Still, should serve well to give the perimeter guards a couple of more toys to play with, huh?" Natalia smiled as she took a quick drink from her water bottle.

"It's not what we hoped it would be but anything is better then nothing. Plus you were able to come back with no trouble and that alone is all we can ask for. I'll make sure to switch out the guards older equipment for what you were able to bring back. And we'll add their old equipment to the training group. So they will have something new to practice with." Natalia stated before taking another bite of her food. "Good job Jack. Make sure to eat and get some rest you look like you need it. Also later on there going out on a fuel run. If you feel up to it, I'd like you to go with." Grabbing her plate, Natalia stood up from her seat. She would finish her meal in her office, there were a few things she still needed to handle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backpack (Natalia):
*Currently doesn't have it*

Interactions: @VerbalAbuse

Mentions: @JJ @Dakota K5 @VengefulPeanut
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley let out a breath of relief when she saw Dexter open the dumpster. A huge part of her wanted to run up and hug her brother but he was just in a dumpster. Anyway Ry was just happy that Dex and the others were okay. In honesty Riley wasn't sure what she would do if she lost Dexter...No! Riley shook her head to push the thoughts away. It didn't matter cause he was fine and that's all that mattered. "Let's get inside." Riley nodded before she ran over to Dexter to take her bag from him. "We'll clear room by room as we go, and head to the kitchen first." Once inside Riley looked back outside as a storm started to rage on. Wow, talk about mood swings. It was completely clear minutes ago and now this. "Weapons up." Those two words were enough to shake Riley out of her peaceful train of thought and remind her that they weren't out of danger yet. Riley gripped her baseball bat in her hand nervously, before she felt Hero rub up against her. Riley gave a smile to
the canine before petting his head. "Good boy."

Lauren was glad everyone was okay but they really didn't have time to celebrate on it. Dexter knew this to it seemed. They might have been able to get into the Sci-Port safely but that didn't mean that it was safe. Lauren pulled out one of her Walther PPKs and was about to follow Dexter when Otto spoke up. "Dexter we are kinda handicapped here, the only person with close quarters weapons that would be ideal is your cousin Lauren there." Lauren looked toward Otto and listened to what the man had to say.

Lauren hated to admit it but Otto was correct. Riley's bat was one of the most suitable weapons since unlike her guns it wouldn't draw more infected. Lauren wouldn't mind taking lead or even giving one of her PPKs to her cousin for the time being. But the guns could still bring the possibility of drawing more infected to them. "I agree with Otto. In least we have to absolutely use our guns I think it's best to find more suitable weapons. It's shouldn't be to hard, anything could really do pipes, broken table or chair legs."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (Riley):
Items:

Baseball Bat
Lighter x 2
Toilet Paper x 1 roll
Food:
Granola bar x 2
Skittles x 1 packs
Water:
Bottles x 2 (filled)

BACKPACK (LAUREN):
Items: 11
Walther PPK/S x2 (8+1 rounds in left, 8 rounds in right)
Box of .32 ACP rounds (32 remaining)
M16A4 (30+1 rounds)
Box of 5.56x45mm rounds (30 remaining)
Survival Ax
Tupperware Container (dirty)
Small MP3 Player (dead)
Homemade Medkit
(Contains Levofloxacin, Gentamicin, and bandages)
Food: Canned fish x2
Water: none

Reactions: Dakota K5
Interactions: @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5 @JinxMonster @VengefulPeanut

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Otto's right." Dexter conceded. "Guns are too risky to use unless absolutely necessary. Especially in such an enclosed area. All we need is someone to get hit by a ricochet." He turned and gave the man a nod of thanks. So far, he had no regrets about allowing Otto to travel with them. He seemed savvy, full of useful advice. Dexter liked him. He was, however, confident with his knife skills. He'd been trained to use one, and knew where and where not to stab. He took a few steps, looking for a map. Most buildings had maps at least to the exits, and that would help them get their bearings at least a little bit. Feeling the warmth of another person right behind him, he assumed it was Riley until they tapped him on the shoulder and he turned to see that it was Evie. He squinted in confusion and surprise until a pointed finger directed him to a map on the wall that indicated the kitchen was at the end of the hallway. "Thanks." He said quietly, addressing everyone.

"If you see a weapon that will be useful in close quarters, pick it up. We're gonna head to the end of the hallway, that's where the kitchen is." He dropped his gaze to Evie. "I'm going to assume that you're a relatively decent shot with that thing. So I need you beside me. We're going to clear rooms as we go and if things go south, that bow might be very useful."

Without waiting for a reply, he pushed open the door that led to the hallway. And he stood there for a moment, listening for sounds that would indicate they were not alone. When he heard nothing, he dragged a trash can over and placed it in the door track so that it couldn't close behind them and possibly lock them out, and then continued down the hallway. There were only three doors in the hallway that they had to pass. One of them was a janitor's closet, one was empty save for folded up tables and chairs, and the third was locked. They made it to the kitchen without any trouble at all, Dex pushing open the double doors and walking inside. When everyone had followed him through, he paused to look around. It was a huge kitchen, and just past the kitchen was the dining room, filled with a hundred or so tables. "Alright. We'll split up. Lauren, Riley, Otto, take Hero with you and go that way-" he pointed to the left "-Evie and I are going to go this way." He pointed to the right. "Explore the dining room if you don't find anything useful. I'm sure this place has seen its fair share of ravagers but there's got to be something here we can use. And eat."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (DEXTER):
Items: 2
.50 Cal Desert Eagle (no rounds)
Hunting Knife, with sheath
Bottle of Meperidine (13 pills)
Food: none

Reactions: Dakota K5
4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Hero, Dexter, Otto, Lauren, Riley

Being thanked by Dexter for her input on the sign was alien enough, but when he seemed to trust her enough to use her bow all of a sudden she practically overwhelmed. A moment ago you didn't trust me enough to even scratch my back... now I can use my bow. You're very strange, mister, she inner-monologued to herself. Despite being with people once again, it seemed the old habits of having conversations with yourself were hard to kick. Allowing him to move away slightly, she followed behind, the arrow still knocked against the side of her bow.

As they moved into the kitchen, a sudden realization flashed to mind. "Psst, Otto," she whispered. "If you wouldn't mind..." She turned her back to him, offering up her backpack where his canteen could clearly been seen in one of the exterior pouches. If she'd have had free hands then she'd have handed it to him herself. "Thank you, again. I really appreciate it," she added, whether he decided to take it or not. With that manner of business resolved, she turned her attention to Dex who seemed to have been taking this all in his stride, surveying the room. He was very methodical about how he did this. Most definitely ex-military.

"Alright. We'll split up. Lauren, Riley, Otto, take Hero with you and go that way, Evie and I are going to go this way." Dexter pointed accordingly as he spoke. "Explore the dining room if you don't find anything useful. I'm sure this place has seen its fair share of ravagers but there's got to be something here we can use. And eat."

"Ugh, it's been so long since I last ate, mould on the walls is starting to look appealing," Evie sighed. Despite her forlorn, wishful state, she wasted no time in moving off in the direction that Dex had indicated. "I suppose making sure we're alone would be a good start, or shall we just get straight to the feasting?" she asked as she looked back to Dex, one more of those little smiles on her lips. It had always been characteristic of Evie to react almost-annoyingly upbeat to dangerous, traumatic or sad situations. Put a smile or a laugh on everything was her way of making it not seem so bad.

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (2):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)
- Otto's Canteen (Maybe)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

Otto Williams
Interaction: Evie, Lauren and Riley
Mentioned: Dexter and Hero
-

"Why thank you Evie." Otto spoke as he took his canteen back, he had heard the support he was getting with what he said from Lauren and then Dexter's own before he split them up. He was surprised that Dexter was willing to pair his sister and cousin with him along with their dog while he was going alone with Evie, he didn't like that. Stacking Otto's group like this was obviously Dexter trying to make sure his cousin and sister would be able to take him down with relative ease with them and the dog while he would be able to take down Evie should she decided to betray the group. "Either way it would be either in here or out in the storm and I doubt a reasonable person even with ill intentions would take that bet and ruin their chance at shelter, not everyone is in the right mind during this break down of society though." Otto thought to himself as he walked up to a chair in the room they were in, it was made of wood and it's legs made for a decent weapon so as quietly as he could he broke the leg off to use as a makeshift bludgeon. "Should probably invest some time into making a proper weapon out of this." He again thought as he took off the machete from his pack and slid it along the ground towards Riley where it stopped by her feet. "Take that if you want, a blade will serve you well and while it would be better if you had a knife the machete is better then nothing." He said as he readjusted things so he could throw his Springfield on his back in a cavalry carry, he had given his machete to Riley for a few reasons. One was that it was always good to have a back up weapon in the event the main weapons failed, in this case if Riley's bat broke or was lost she would be able to use the machete. Second was that the bladed weapon would allow Riley to better be able to attack a human should she need to, Riley was young and small compared to most of the group now that was not to say she was incapable but a blade would allow her to better use her own weight as where the bat might not strike hard enough the machete would find purchase in flesh no matter how hard she hit.
-
He stood up after being satisfied with the makeshift club he had and looked to the direction Dexter had wanted them to go, it was a doorway that led to a hallway next to the dinning area. He looked to Lauren. "Imma be honest here, I ain't got a clue as to what is in this place so if you want to take the lead here go ahead because otherwise we are gonna be fumbling around in the dark. Also if the situation goes sideways you, Riley and the dog hightail it back here to meet up with Evie and Dexter I will try and but you three some time before making my own way to the rest of ya all but hopefully nothing will lead us to that situation." He said as he made his way to the door, his footsteps silent as the grave, to make sure nothing was waiting for them before motioning for the others to go on through the door.
=
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full)
1903A3 Springfield
Wooden chair leg x1
-
(Machete given to Riley.
Canteen returned.)

Mitchell James Kennedy » FINCH
mentions: --
interactions: Cecilio @Derp, Wyatt @neptune.

♦ ♦ ♦

Finch was careful to stay alert, but he was slowly becoming more comfortable around these two strangers. Even when Cecilio spoke of his concerns, he seemed relaxed. Wyatt gave off the impression of being relatively calm despite the fact he was in the presence of two strangers who could very well shoot his head off. And again, the dog was nice.

Maybe the universe had decided to give Finch a break, after all.

He'd been traveling for so long, most of the time, without the presence of other people. And when he had run into other people, it more often than not, bit him in the ass. He was not too keen on being robbed again, but he wasn't favoring the idea of being alone for much longer. It was almost startling to Finch that the idea of this place seemed more tempting than walking the road alone, but he would not allow himself to be so easily tempted by not being lonely. This was his life now, he had to deal with it if he wanted to survive. It didn't mean he wanted to, though.

"Where are you coming from?" The question had left a small pang in Finch's heart. He had just been traveling away from home, he had no destination in mind. For a moment, Finch's expression fell, if only for a millisecond, before his eyes regained the cold demeanor they had before. "I'm coming from Atlanta," he admitted. The cities, of course, had caught the viruses quicker and harsher. With so many people, the virus could practically spread overnight. "I've barely stopped anywhere, unless it was to sleep, since I've left." As he spoke, he realized how relieved he was that his mother hadn't chosen New York, like she had wanted to before - Finch wouldn't of made it out of that city alive. Sure, Atlanta was crowded, but New York? The thought made him shudder. It was honestly a wonder how he made it out of Atlanta alive to begin with.

♦ ♦ ♦
inventory

* basic glock in waistband.
* switch blade in pocket.
- roughly 45 bullets.
- three granola bars.
- refillable water bottle.
- a few clothing items.
- hygiene items.
- basic medical kit. (bandages, gauze, alcohol pads, etc.)
- photo.

QxxZh4C.jpg

Interactions:
Natalia, Bennett, Clara

"Good job Jack. Make sure to eat and get some rest you look like you need it. Also later on there going out on a fuel run. If you feel up to it, I'd like you to go with." Praise from Natalia wasn't what he was expecting. It'd hardly been the most lucrative excursion but it still seemed she took the results in a semi-positive light. That was good. The talk of the fuel run caused him a little bit of joy, too, though he wouldn't dare show it. Keeping busy kept him happy. However, let people know you enjoy work and soon you'll find yourself the go-to-guy of everyone with a minor inconvenience. He wasn't about to allow that again.

"Sure. No problem," he responded, simply and obediently. He watched Natalia leave before scanning his eyes across the room once more. People sat at their tables, conversing and laughing, living their lives as if the apocalypse never happened. He had no doubt everyone there had seen their share of horrors. Still, they'd found a break from it - a sanctuary. It was still up to men and women like him to keep the place running and safe, to keep facing the horrors day in and day out for the sake of the community. In his place, from where he was sat, he wouldn't have had it any other way.

After finishing his food, he set out in search of Bennett. Last he saw, the man was on his way to see the mechanic. Strange girl. Preferred to live outside the community, something that Jack couldn't quite understand. Yet, still, she was committed to her work and good at it. That was enough for him to like her. Entering the room, he found Bennett running his typical schmoozing routine and Clara clearly not having any of it. "Girl still giving you the cold shoulder?" Jack jibed, looking to Bennett with a smirk on his face. "Look, Natalia mentioned about that fuel run. Was wondering if I could get some more details before I go grab some shut eye," he continued, returning to business. Should Clara have noted his presence, he would have offered her an informal salute and a small nodding of his head in greeting.

Backpack (Jack):
Items (6):

- Combat Knife
- Green and Red Spray Paint Cans
- M4A1 VFG, Surefire Flashlight, Eotech Holo (4 30rnd STANAG magazines)
- Atropine Auto-injector (1x)
- AN/PRC 152 Radio
- Bandages (Field Dressing 2x, Quick Clot 1x, Packing 1x)

Salvaged Items:
- G17 x2 (9 12rnd magazines)
- MP7A1 (3 30rnd magazines)

Water (1):
- Canteen (60%)

Food (2):
- Granola Bar (x2)
- Tinned Beans (x1)

Outfit:
[spoili]

F9GUlXR.jpg

[/spoili]​

Interactions: @VengefulPeanut

"Stay in earshot." He called to the others. He didn't like the idea of Riley and Lauren being out of his sight, but if they didn't split up it would take them twice as long to get anything done. He was confident that they could defend themselves, too, and though he didn't think it would be necessary, with what he knew of the man so far, he liked to be prepared. Evie, though, was another matter. He still didn't trust her, and with that bow of hers being capable of inflicting massive damage with next to no noise, he wanted her with him where he could keep an eye on her.

After they'd split up, Dex heading for the back of the kitchen where the stoves and ovens were, he listened to Evie complain about being hungry. "Tell me about it." He grunted. He and Riley had had to leave their home with no warning. Just the clothes on their backs and the empty gun that hung like dead weight on his hip. They had managed to scavenge a little food here and there. Candy bars, granola, stuff like that, but nothing of actual substance. And it was starting to take its toll. He was used to a life of rigorous exercise and high calorie diet to keep him in shape. Now that he was doing the exercise that involved keeping himself and Riley alive, and taking in a quarter of the calories that he was used to, his body was punishing him.

That, along with the constant worry, made him as cranky and tense as a bowstring. He was tired. Exhausted, really. And he was sure Riley was suffering the same. They needed food, and a lot of it. And sleep. Scrubbing a hand across his face, he turned back to Evie at her question, doing his best to shield her from the weariness in his gaze. "Clear first, then scavenge." He said quietly. But they didn't need to worry, because the kitchen seemed to be as empty of people as it was of food. That was, of course, until he swung the door of the walk-in freezer open.

The stench hit him like a ton of bricks, instantly bringing tears to his eyes and bile to his throat. A swarm of flies burst through the now-open door and headed towards the nearest light source. "What the fuck." He whispered, trying and failing to shield his nose from the scent with the sleeve of his shirt. He'd smelled some bad things before, but this took the cake, the oven, and the entire bakery. What used to be a body, but now more resembled a Halloween skeleton decoration bathing in a puddle of indeterminate goop, lay in the center of the walk-in. The scraps of clothing that remained were blue and white - a guard's uniform. "Hold this." He said to Evie, indicating to the freezer door. In no way, shape, or form did he want that thing to close behind him and shut him in the darkness. But he had to go in, because what he saw in the corpse's hand outweighed the risk. Pulling off his shirt and wadding it up into a ball, he pressed it to his nose and mouth and stepped into the freezer, taking care to place his footsteps not in the human puddle. It only took a moment before he was able to snatch the keys from the skeletal fingers, and even less time before he was out of there, slamming the freezer door shut.

He took a few steps away, dropped the shirt away from his mouth, crouched with hands on his knees and coughed for several long moments, clearing the acrid stench from his throat and nose. He was going to remember that smell for the rest of his life, and was happy that Riley hadn't been here to do the same. When finally he could take a breath without wanting to vomit, he stood, cleared his throat, and wiped his face with the shirt as he turned back to Evie. "If I never have to do anything like that ever again I will die a happy man."

It seemed like an inappropriate time for a joke, admittedly, but what else was there to do? They were already all miserable, and it wasn't doing anyone any good to add on to that. "Think these could go to that locked room in the hallway?" He wondered in Evie's general direction.

BACKPACK (DEXTER):
Guard's Keyring

Last edited by a moderator:
Interactions: @The Crimson Crow @TheTechnoVampire @VengefulPeanut

Ben half-turned upon Jack's entrance, raising brows in query until he realized what the man had said. Grin broke out over stubbly face. "Always man, always." He snorted in laughter. "These girls." Bennet waved a hand dismissively at Clara, who seemed to be pointedly ignoring him. He muttered something under his breath and then shrugged at Jack's second question. "Ah. Well, we were waiting on the tanker repairs to be finished but I'm not sure when that's gonna be." Inclined his head at Clara. "Though if we..." He paused as thunder rolled through the sky, and almost immediately after, the patter of rain on the roof of the garage. "Well then." He moved to the door, squinting up at the clouds. "Doesn't look like that's gonna pass any time soon."

Bennet sighed, giving Jack a "whattaya gonna do" look. "Go and get some sleep Jack-O, I'll shake ya up when we're ready to head out. Gonna see if this storm'll let up first."

BACKPACK (BENNET):
AR-15 (30 rounds)
Canteen
Water: 32 Oz

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter

Evie's brow softened into a concerned frown as they continued through the kitchen. With how barren it was of both food and inhabitants, reason stood that the place had been picked clean long ago. A loud growl from Evie's stomach was a clear indicator of her body's displeasure. She looked down, humming softly, deflated. She was scouring one of the shelves when she heard Dex pull at the freezer door, a groan of utter disgust following soon after.

"What's the matter? What's - ugh!" she cut herself off, cupping her mouth and nose as her face contorted in repugnance. "I think I'm gonna be sick," she groaned.

"Hold this," Dex said, an order she carried to quickly though she didn't relinquish her hand from its position over her face. Jutting her shoulder into the door, she kept her eyes off of the gory scene, not wanting to further her nausea at the sight. As he moved back, she did so in turn and just as swiftly. "If I never have to do anything like that ever again I will die a happy man."

"Let's just... forget that ever happened," she sighed, glad that the smelly ordeal was over. "I haven't smelt anything that disgusting since Freshers Week at Uni'."

"Think these could go to that locked room in the hallway?"

"It's worth a try, right? Who knows? This room might be filled with air fresheners, for a change. Or a nice, big Paella." she offered, optimistically.

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (2):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

QxxZh4C.jpg

Interactions:
Bennett, Clara

As Bennett began to speak about the upcoming excursion, the heavy pattering of rain on the roof caused both men to silence and look up momentarily.

"Go and get some sleep Jack-O, I'll shake ya up when we're ready to head out. Gonna see if this storm'll let up first."

"Sure thing," Jack acquiesced. "Give me a shout if we're rolling out. Want to see if I can pick up some more cigarettes while we're out there." Looking over to Clara who had thus far been silent, he called out, "Later!" before leaving out the door. The sounds on the roof were nothing compared to the downpour that was happening outside. By the time he made it to the living quarters, he was soaked. The living quarters were quite noisy on account of the rain, everyone huddled inside wherever they could to all meet and complain about the weather, like it was going to solve anything. Jack's 'room' was a small little hideaway in the corner of a larger room. A couple of sheets suspended on lines served as his walls. Still, it was his and his alone. Some of the residents had to share, after all. Maybe Natalia would consider expansion, pushing the walls out a little - or maybe even make a sister settlement.

He slung his backpack to the ground, stripping off his gear piece-by-piece, like a Knight removing their armour, until he was just in his boxers. Replacing his BDU bottoms with some comfortable jogging bottoms, he allowed himself to fall backwards onto the bed and, despite the noise, into a deep sleep.

Backpack (Jack - By the bedside):
Items (6):

- Combat Knife
- AN/PRC 152 Radio

Water (1):
- Canteen (100%)

Food (2):
- Granola Bar (x2)
- Tinned Beans (x1)

Outfit:
[spoili]

F9GUlXR.jpg

[/spoili]​

Interactions: @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5

Mentions: @JJ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley had been pretty shocked when Dexter hadn't put her in the same group as him. Honestly sometimes Riley really believed that she had two Hero's following her around. As if the one canine wasn't enough to make Dex feel like she was safe, he always tailed after her. Hm...maybe he was finally starting to think Riley could handle herself. Ha, Nope. It had to be some other type of plan. Whatever, Riley wasn't jarred from her thoughts till Otto was handing her something. "Take that if you want, a blade will serve you well and while it would be better if you had a knife the machete is better then nothing." Riley stared at the machete for a second before she took it.

Whoa...Now Riley knew Dexter would never be comfortable with her having the weapon. But like always Riley would didn't care and would do it anyway. "Thanks" Maybe her brother could pick up some tips from Otto and learn that she should be able to protect herself. Riley smiled at the weapon for a moment longer before she slipped it into her backpack. She was sure to keep the handle sticking out of the top of the bag but made sure their was a zipper on each side to keep it secured.

Lauren was a little surprised that Otto had been willing to offer up one of his weapons to one of them. It was even more surprising that it was Riley. "Imma be honest here, I ain't got a clue as to what is in this place so if you want to take the lead here go ahead because otherwise we are gonna be fumbling around in the dark. Also if the situation goes sideways you, Riley and the dog hightail it back here to meet up with Evie and Dexter I will try and but you three some time before making my own way to the rest of ya all but hopefully nothing will lead us to that situation." Hm, He was even willing to let them make a run for it before himself if needed she respected that.

"If anything happens Riley and Hero will make their way back to Dex and Evie. If your willing to give up one of your weapons and offer to buy us time. Then that makes you okay in my book and i'll have your back." Lauren said as she grabbed her survival Ax off of her belt. "Plus it's much more exciting to smash in some infected scum skulls." She smirked as she walked by Riley and Otto before heading into the dining area.

Riley just smiled from her spot as she watched Lauren and Otto. Her cousin was right, Riley wasn't one to trust others but so far Otto had did nothing but prove he could be trusted. She just really hoped that it would stay like that. "Hero Fuss, Pass auf" Riley made sure that Hero was on guard and following her before she followed Lauren.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (Riley):
Items:

Machete
Baseball Bat
Lighter x 2
Toilet Paper x 1 roll
Food:

Granola bar x 2
Skittles x 1 packs
Water:

Bottles x 2 (filled)

BACKPACK (LAUREN):
M16A4 (30+1 rounds)
Survival Ax
Small MP3 Player (dead)
Homemade Medkit

• Love
Reactions: VerbalAbuse
4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter (Collab Post)
Snatching a roll of dingy paper towels off of a counter across the room, Dexter toweled off the keys, and then his fingers. He'd had a lot of experience touching gross things, but decomposed human body slime was a new experience altogether, and not one he intended to replicate. He snorted, amused, at Evie's response.

"I don't even know what a paella is. But at this point I'd shank someone for a loaf of stale bread."

Now that the keys were... if not clean, at least slime-free, he tossed the paper towel on the counter. Eyes flicked to the other group, who were moving towards the dining room.

"Seems like everything is clear so far, at least..." Evie hummed, noting the direction of Dexter's attention. "Come on, let's go and check that room." She moved towards the door they had entered through, stopping as she arrived there to look back and check Dex was following. Preoccupied for the moment with the fact that Otto had just given his sister a machete, he initially didn't move. He barely trusted her not to hurt herself with a baseball bat. "Something wrong?" Evie asked.

"What?" He turned. "Oh, no. Nothing." He took a step towards the doorway, keys jingling in his hand. Hopefully one of these went to that door, and hopefully there was something worthwhile inside it. Something that would at least be worth the lingering stench in his nostrils. As he made his way down the hallway, he glanced over at Evie. "What are you doing here, anyway?" He had to assume the odds of being in a different country at the time of a zombie apocalypse were probably rather high, when you considered how many people traveled at any one given time, but it was still a rather unlucky coincidence.

"Here? Scavenging, like you," she responded, coyly.

Eyes narrowed at her. "You know what I mean. Here. Like... here." He waved a hand, gesturing to the immediate area around them. "Where are we?" Deliberated for a moment. "Louisiana? Yes, Louisiana. What are you doing in Louisiana?"

"Oh, I just love Zombies and misery! A girl like me couldn't resist," she smirked, speaking with a mock-dreamy tone. Blowing a few errant locks of hair from her face, she grimaced slightly as she considered how to explain her circumstances. "I was here with a sports team for a competition. Representing good ol' England, y'know? Not as fun and momentous of a happening as I expected it to be. Now I'm stuck here," she sighed. "Speaking of which, have you heard anything about the UK? Like... if this is happening there too or... just anything, really?" Her shoulders had slouched as she asked the question, the more fragile side of her persona breaking through once more as she stood meekly looking back at him.

Blinking at the sudden change in tone, he gave a halfhearted shrug. "Honestly I've no idea. But, it stands to reason that if this was only affecting the United States, or, even if it was only affecting North America and South America... we'd have heard from someone." He shook his head slowly. "No, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is the whole world. Even if it started here." Realizing what that probably implied, as far as her family, friends, life in general back in the UK, he let a frown play at his lips. "I'm sorry."

What was that? Sympathy? Definitely a strange emotion. He'd lost everything too, after all. Everything except Riley. But throughout that ordeal he'd only felt anger. No sadness, no sympathy, just anger. At the injustice, at the unfairness. But looking at Evie's expression he was unable to not feel sorry for her. He assumed she'd gone this long with some small ounce of hope, and he'd just crushed it. Rude. Hearing the news, Evie hadn't reacted as extreme as one might have thought. A defeated looked flashed across her expression only but for a moment before she forced a smile over it.

"Ah well, I guess the idea that I'd get some sort of British Army super rescue squad coming for me was a little silly," she said with a slight giggle. Despite her upbeat attitude, the hollowness of her words was indicative enough of how she really felt about the news. "How about you, then?" she asked, changing the topic. "What are you doing here? And don't say scavenging - I've copyrighted that joke."

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (2):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

Interactions: @VengefulPeanut [collab post]

"Well if you see any policeman about to enforce copyright rules how about you let me know?" They'd reached the door now, and he searched through the keyring until he found one that looked the relative size and shape that the lock required. "Here goes nothing." He sighed, and twisted it in the lock. Hand went instantly to his gun when the lock clicked open, until he remembered that he was out of ammo, which made him slide his hand to the other hip where the knife was. "Better safe than sorry, if there was one in the freezer, well..." He shrugged. Nodding in acquiescence, she drew the string of her bow back in anticipation, the tip of the arrow pointing straight forward. The door swung open and he stepped back, waiting for something to come snarling and stumbling out the darkness. But fortunately there was nothing. And it also didn't smell like rotting corpses so that was a plus. "Haven't got a light, have you?" He asked, though not seriously. The room was dark, and seemed rather large. He didn't like the idea of wandering around in a pitch black room.

"I have my beaming smile?" she offered.

"Not good enough, I'm afraid." He took a step into the room, where the light from the hallway could still reach. From what he could see, there were just shelves. Endless shelves, disappearing into the darkness. A storeroom? Suddenly very hopeful, he took another step in. The shelves closest to the light were all empty, a layer of dust settling over the surfaces. But he assumed most people wouldn't be bold enough to explore the rest. Maybe there was something worthwhile in here after all. Evie had followed in behind him, her bow still raised. Still, when she realised there was nothing to be seen and nothing was coming charging, slavering, out of the darkness she soon relaxed.

"So... erm... do we just draw straws on who gets to fumble about in the dark or should we try find a torch?" she asked, looking to Dex.

"A torch?" He asked, confused. "You mean a flashlight?"

"Oh right... yeah," she answered. "A flashlight," she added, jokingly forcing an American accent as she did so. "Not really sure where we'd find one, though."

Lips twitched in amusement. "Ha ha." But the problem still stood. Had it been a normal situation, he wouldn't think twice about going in blind. But, well... this was the end of the world. He had no inclination to go in when there could very well be Infected just lurking in the corners. The hairs on the back of his neck prickled in worry. He was a trained professional, an expert murderer, but this was just stupid. "Torch..." He said quietly. "Actually." He turned, a wild, excited, and very uncharactaristic look in his eyes. "That's a brilliant idea. You're a genius."

Leaving the keys hanging where they were in the door, and Evie where she was in the doorway he returned to the kitchen.

"Well, I do try..." she said, quietly, as he went speeding away.

Ripping out drawers as he went rifling through them, he finally found what he was looking for. A box of matches. Flipping a chair over, he stomped the frame until one of the legs came loose, and snatched that up as well. When he finally got back to Evie he was wrapping his flannel around the chair leg, knotting it so that it would stay. He held up the makeshift torch in one hand and the box of matches in the other. "This'll do."

"And the Lord said let there be light," she smiled. "So, shall we head in?"

"Under normal circumstances, I'd say ladies first." He said, striking the match against the wall. "But." He touched the match to the shirt, holding it until the fabric began to smolder. "In this case, I figure the professional should go first." So when the fire had really taken hold, spreading around the shirt, he stepped once more into the room. It still, admittedly, made him uneasy to have Evie at his back. But the lure that there possibly could be some hidden stash of food in this room far outweighed his discomfort. "Just keep that thing pointed away from me." He whispered as he went forward into the blackness. She nodded in acquiescence, though she couldn't help but roll her eyes when he wasn't looking. As the two proceeded in, the dim amber glow of the make-shift torch lit up the room slightly. The assumption that it was a storeroom seemed to have been bang on the money. Fortunately, it was a storeroom that still had stock - not much, but some. Abandoned tins of food sat upon some of the shelves, as if they were begging to be taken. Evie suppressed a squeal of excitement, though the loud rumbling of her stomach wasn't something she could hold back.

"This... this is good," she gasped, happily.

He could have mimicked her excited noises, but for the sake of saving face, decided not to. There was by no means a LOT of food here. The shelves had been picked over by someone, if not multiple someones, already, but things had been left nonetheless. He inspected one of the larger cans, reading the title aloud. "Shredded chicken breast in water." The next. "Sliced carrots." He moved down the line. "Green beans, fruit cocktail." His mouth watered. "This is definitely enough to hold us over." Again with the steady save-face voice when he was so excited he was practically vibrating. "Let's get back to the others."

"Sounds good to me!"

BACKPACK (DEXTER):
Guard's Keyring

Otto Williams
Interaction: Lauren and Riley
Mentioned: Dexter, Hero and Evie
-

Otto followed up the back, his footsteps silent as the grave as he moved he rolled the chair leg around in his hand to adjust his grip. "Definitely need to do something to make this a better weapon." He thought. "So what are we looking for? I understand Dexter and Evie will probably be looking for food in the kitchen area. Was there ever an aid station in this place? If so I suggest we check that area first, having any extra medical supplies will help us in the long run either for the health of the group over all or to trade should we encounter others." He finished as he peeked through a window on a door to see if the room beyond had anything useful, not seeing anything and trying the door to see it was locked he kept moving with Lauren, Riley and Hero. "So...what can you tell me about yourselves? Besides you two being related to Dexter and him not trusting me all that much me near you two I don't know anything about you two or him and I would rather not need to rely on my own assumptions about any of you." He asked to try and get a conversation going, he was normally fine with silence but he didn't feel like remaining ignorant about two members of the group he would be traveling with for the foreseeable future.
------
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full)
1903A3 Springfield
Wooden chair leg x1​

Interactions: @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5 @JinxMonster @VengefulPeanut

"I don't think there's anything specific." Lauren replied with a shrug. "Anything, really, that will help us. Now that there's five of us we can carry a lot more. When I came through here earlier, I was only grabbing what wouldn't weigh me down. But, the labs are on the other side of the building. That's where all the meds and stuff are. And the boss says we should stay in earshot." She made airquotes around the words, but only jokingly. Out of all the people here, she trusted Dex the most to keep them safe. Probably had something to do with them being related, yeah, but what can ya do?

"If Dex thought you were untrustworthy," said Lauren as she kicked an empty soda can, sending it spiraling into the dining room where it came to rest underneath one of the tables. "He would have sent you packing already." After a pause, she added. "If we'd let him, of course." She hadn't really been around Riley and Dexter's side of the family for several years. Since they moved to Texas, eat least. But even when they all lived in the same area, and were nearly always together as cousins usually are, she knew Dex had always been picky with the neighborhood kids he chose to play with. Not really a fitting comparison for an end of the world scenario, but it was as close as she could get. She gave Otto a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it too much."

Glancing around the large, cavernous dining room... well, it was more like a huge cafeteria... she had to suppress a flare of nostalgia. This place looked so different. When it was in operation, the Sci-Port had always been full of children. Laughing, playing, learning. School field trips, family vacations, a lot of good memories had been made in this place. But you couldn't tell, now. The decor was covered in a layer of thick dust, hanging off the walls and the ceiling like stalactites from a cave roof. The only light was filtered through the equally dusty, ceiling-high windows on one side of the cafeteria. "Anyway." She continued, voice noticeably more subdued. "Riley and Dexter are my cousins. Our dads are..." She paused to correct herself. "...were. Brothers. When shit hit the fan, I knew that Uncle Aaron would have something up his sleeve. He'd always been kind of, prepared that way, you know? Something to keep us safe. So I started heading there, and, well, here we are. I'm not sure if there's a higher power or not, but the odds of us running into each other, and here, of all places? Well... let's just say I wish USD still had any value, because I'd like to play the lottery."

Lauren laughed, looking to Riley who had been silent this entire time. "What about you, Ry?" She asked. "What's the end game for you two? For all of us, now, I guess."

BACKPACK (LAUREN):
M16A4 (30+1 rounds)
Survival Ax
Small MP3 Player (dead)
Homemade Medkit

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter, Lauren, Riley, Otto, Hero

Heading back towards the dining room, noticeable haste in her steps, she didn't even wait for Dex to start moving. Being reasonably certain that they wouldn't run into any trouble in the immediate area, she returned the arrow that she had held against her bow since arrival to its place in her quiver. There was quite an audible bang as she bounded through the doors back into the dining room, a spring in her step and a smile on her face.

"Guys!" she called to the others. "We found food. Food enough for us to wait out the storm for a while." Her mind drifted back to how torrential the rain was and how sudden it came along, not to mention all of those images she'd seen on the BBC of Louisiana storms prior to the outbreak. "Something tells me that might be a while." Moving further into the dining area, she placed herself down on one of the tables to sit for a moment. "Find anything useful here?" she asked, curiously. She couldn't explain why but, despite how desperate she'd acted during their first encounter and how scared she was, she was starting to feel a small level of familiarity with the others. It had probably only been about an hour since their introduction but they seemed decent people at the least. She could have found worse company to get marooned in an old museum with.

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (2):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

QxxZh4C.jpg

Interactions:
Any Impact Point Personnell (Radio), Adrian Sadler (Mentioned)
BANG!

A loud crash echoing through the living quarters woke Jack from his rest. Shooting upright, his fist clenched tightly as if he was prepared to defend himself. Yet, despite his reaction, there was no immediate danger - just some clumsy people knocking over some shelving in a nearby room. He groaned, deeply, looking over to his gear for a moment as he analysed the noises around him. Given that everyone was still talking and being generally loud, he could only surmise that the rain hadn't subsided or that he hadn't slept for too long; it was possible it was both. Pulling himself from the bed, he replaced his minimal attire with his thermal shirt and BDU bottoms once more, donning his tactical vest with his M4A1 affixed to the clip upon the front. His combat gloves hung from the side of his vest also as he bent over to snag his Eagle backpack into his hand. "I should find Bennett," he huffed to himself.

Heading back out into the rain, he looked around the town which was all but sacrificed to the elements. Everyone had scattered for cover it seemed and the storm showed no sign in relinquishing its relent. Tuning his radio to 'Channel 1' - or Home Channel - as it was better known, he pressed his thumb against the transmitter button. "ALLCON this net, this is Jack Whitley, requesting time of departure for the next excursion. Over." He didn't honestly expect anyone to answer. While Channel 1 was for the purpose of cross settlement communication of essential personnell, it was the case that a lot of time people would leave their radios lying around or that they would just switch them off altogether to avoid the hassle - sometimes they were just simply busy with other tasks.

While he awaited a response, unsure if he would even receive one, he decided to pay a visit to the local merchant. Mr.Sadler. Heading over to the man's shop, Jack decided the visit would get him out of the rain as well as give him something to do in case he had to wait a while for the excursion team to ready. Opening the door and heading inside, he looked around for a moment, trying to see if the man was in. "Hello! Anyone here? Adrian, you around?"

Backpack (Jack):
Items (6):

- Combat Knife
- AN/PRC 152 Radio

Water (1):
- Canteen (100%)

Food (2):
- Granola Bar (x2)
- Tinned Beans (x1)

Outfit:
[spoili]

F9GUlXR.jpg

[/spoili]​

Status
Not open for further replies.