Mission: Z (IC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interactions: @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5 @JinxMonster @VengefulPeanut

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero was instantly on alert when Riley gave the command, sitting erect at his young mistress's heel, ears forward, amber eyes alert and watching. His attention, mostly, was on Otto, the stranger, the one who was the source of the tension he felt ebbing between his three people. The three people he knew. But Dexter, the alpha, had for now accepted this man into their pack, and that was good enough for him. Still, though, he watched. He could sense that Riley was not accepting of this new revelation, but Riley was a beta and therefore had no say. It was just the way things were.

As the humans exchanged words he cared not about, for they weren't commands nor praise, nostrils flared at the introduction of a new scent. This scent was normal. Not the Bad Scent he'd come to associate with the infected, but still strange. A stranger. And strangers were bad when he had been given the command to guard.

Danger.

Hero gave a low growl, the fur on his spine prickling with unease. Blocky head swiveled around nose working the air, eyes working the surroundings, and there, the scuff of a shoe on concrete. But despite the noises it was the scent that gave away the location. Fear, unease, these were scents hardwired into his brain. They weren't the Bad Scent but they were bad scents. Fear meant weakness, fear meant unpredictability. Another low growl but the humans paid no mind, and so he was galvanized into action by instinct and training combined. Instantly on all fours and seconds later at full speed, headed directly towards the car that the shielded the stranger.

"Hero? Lass es! Platz!"

The commands for "leave it" and "down" came rapidly and much to his frustration he obeyed, sinking to his belly with ears flat and legs coiled tightly under him, preparing for the command that should come next - get the danger, eliminate the danger, protect. Short, frustrated whines pierced the air as his masters gathered behind him, speaking again with words he didn't understand.

Danger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (HERO):
Items: 0

Otto Williams
Interaction: Dexter
Mentioned: Hero, Lauren and Evie Summers
-

"Take pleasure in that you are still alive and with family, it is more then I have at the moment but all in all it is nice to make all of your acquaintances. I agree that we should move to a more sheltered area and I have food I am willing to share though I don't know how far it will go, a pound of smoked deer meat can go pretty far for one person but for four people and one dog it may not be much though I am sure we will find a way to make it go farther." He said as he relaxed his posture now that he was sure he wasn't about to be shot, mauled, beat, stabbed or a combination of the four. He didn't pull his rifle out yet as while they had agreed to let him into their group he was still cautious of spooking any of them especially the one with the guns, his cousin Lauren. Otto noticed their dog had started to become agitated before taking off towards a car, Dexter told the dog to stop in what sounded like German though Otto hadn't spoke that language since his twenties he could still recognize certain words. Otto was on alert himself now as noting good came of dogs acting that way especially if they are trained, he looked to Dexter again. "Dexter I don't know how well that dog of yours is trained but he is alerted to something back there, if it is hiding it is probably a person. I was not followed as far as I know and I doubt you got someone waiting that would make that dog go on alert, I would say we confront the issue now but if this turns into a fight then gunshots are sure to bring the infected. Instead I think all of us should move and create an ambush to take who ever is watching us alive and find out what they are doing." Otto said in a low voice as not to alert who ever had tipped the dog hero off. "We could also call out to them and hope they are friendly, it's up to you but I need to know so I can act accordingly." Otto finished as he kept his relaxed posture so he himself did not alert this new presence.
-
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
Machete x1
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full)
30-06 rounds x20 (Five in rifle, 15 ready to load)
1903A3 Springfield

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Riley, Hero, Dexter, Otto

"Hero? Lass es, platz!"

Germans? Evie thought to herself, hearing the call-out. What the bloody hell are Germans doing here? Taking a moment to try peer over the top of the car, her eyes fixed solely on the canine that was focused on her hiding spot. For a moment, her whole body froze in fear, her already-hyper heart rate accelerating even further. "Shit!" she cursed, her tone sharp yet quiet as she slammed herself back into cover. Come on Evie, think, think, think, think... Seeing a nearby shrubbery, she crawled on her belly over towards it, hoping to avoid detection and slip away from the group further into the town. There seemed to be a few of them... and the dog. The big, scary, looks like it could rip you in two with one bite dog.

Rolling into the shrubbery and beyond it, she laid on her back, slowly knocking an arrow onto her bow in preparation should she need to defend herself. A thin veil of sweat formed on her brow and a sickly feeling swelled in her stomach. Oh god... Evie, don't vomit now. Not cool! Not cool at all, body! Shit! Focus. She raised into a crouched position, low enough that she couldn't be seen but nor could she see them. Her whole body compelled her to run but her brain told her to hold. The dog would probably run her down with ease anyway. Maybe she should kill the dog, then run. No, that would start a skirmish. The gunfire would draw the infected. What if they were friendly? That would be a first. Her previous encounters with other survivors hadn't been confidence-inducing. No, she had to hold fast, be ready and prepare to fight for her life if she need to. Please move on... please move on... please move on... please move on...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (6 arrows, 1 knocked)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Reactions: Dakota K5

Dex turned at the sound of Riley's voice, happy to hear her speaking even if it was only to Hero. The fiery young girl was rarely quiet, and it worried him, though given the current circumstances he had to admit that mental health was kind of on the backburner for all of them. But his worry was alleviated when Riley met his eyes with a familiar mutinous stare, one he assumed was the result of his acceptance of Otto into their group. Get over it, kiddo. He thought. The more people we have, the better chance we have of staying alive. Still, he wasn't able to supress the smirk that played at his lips, eyes softening at the sight of her. If he had to recruit a million more people to keep her safe, he'd do so. Regardless of whether she liked it or not.

The rise in mood was etched on his face when he turned back to face Otto, nodding once in affirmation. "Your food is yours alone, Otto, I wouldn't ask you to give up anything you weren't willing." But Dexter appreciated the fact that the man seemed willing to be a team player. Hooking his thumbs into his belt and leaning back on his heels a bit, Dexter took a breath. "Riley has the right idea, the Sci-Port seems like a good place to gather our bearings, and I'm sure the cafeteria probably has some canned or dehydrated food in a storeroom somewhere - most people wouldn't think to look for supplies in a museum so it's likely untouched." He reached out to ruffle Riley's hair as she stood, glancing into the sky. "Good work Ry. Let's start heading... Hero?"

The dog had instantly sprung up and bolted across the street, something that was so incredibly out of character it had him dumbfounded into silence for a moment. Until he recalled Riley giving Hero the guard command, and realized that he'd seen, or heard, something that had managed to evade their attention. Cursing under his breath, he immediately called out the commands for "leave it" and "down" in rapid succession. If it was an infected, he didn't want Hero facing it alone. And if it was an uninfected human, well... he could count on one finger the number of strangers who hadn't tried to kill him yet. For a long moment they stood in the silence permeated only by Hero's frustrated whines, Dexter unconsciously fingering the split lip that was just beginning to heal. What to do, what to do.

Both Otto's suggestions were equally appealing. An ambush would ensure that they, for the most part, had the upper hand. However, Dexter was out of ammo - something that he didn't really want to confide to Otto just yet - and he had a feeling if he went into an ambush armed only with the knife, questions would be raised. The peaceful approach was more strategically plausible, but if the stranger had no intention of being peaceful, they were sitting ducks.

His voice was quiet, aimed at Otto though his eyes were searching for movement in the vicinity of Hero's attentions. "Whoever it is... if they were looking to outright attack us, they could have. We were distracted by each other, standing right out in the open. Prime sniper targets for anyone with even the slightest bit of skill with a firearm. And there's tons of cover here for someone to hide behind. We could be surrounded and not know it." He grunted, motioning to Riley. "Get behind them, keep your eyes peeled, and don't go running off." He left the "again" unspoken, fixing her with a steely gaze that provided no room for argument. To Otto and Lauren, "Cover me but don't shoot unless I give the order. I'm going to try and solve this peacefully."

Flipping open the sheath at his hip, Dexter withdrew the knife and held it down, crouching as he made his way slowly, cautiously, across the street. He relaxed a bit when, by the time he'd made it alongside Hero, he hadn't been shot. "Zu Riley." He whispered, and Hero crept to join his young mistress once more. Continuing across, Dex pressed himself against the other side of the car, pausing a moment to listen for movement. Surely someone who intended harm would have made that clear by now, right? Hell, maybe it wasn't even a person. Hero could have mistakenly alerted to a raccoon or something. Possible, not probable, but still.

Moving around the left side of the car, he made a wide circle, careful that his feet made no noise on the debris that surrounded the vehicle. And when he came around it finally, still crouched, what did he see but a girl about his age crouched there in some shrubbery, looking just about as panicked as he'd imagine was warranted. Letting his armed hand fall against his hip, as it looked like she only had the bow, which he was reasonably sure he could dodge if given the chance, he stood to his full height, cleared his throat, and said, "You know, it's not polite to spy on people."

BACKPACK (DEXTER):
Items: 3
.50 Cal Desert Eagle (no rounds)
Hunting Knife, with sheath
Bottle of Meperidine (13 pills)
Food: none
Water: none

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Riley, Hero, Dexter, Otto, Lauren
Please move on, please move on, please move on... shit.

Seeing that she had been discovered, Evie shot to a standing position, her eyes immediately fixing on Dexter's gun before looking back to his eyes. Drawing her bowstring back fully, she prepared to loose the arrow straight at his heart if needed. Her whole frame shook, in particular her hands. These weren't most ideal shooting conditions. Still, she managed to hold the arrow firm.

"You know, it's not polite to spy on people."

"Drop the gun!" she commanded, though her tone was anything but authoritative - more desperate really. "Drop the gun and... and... erm... tell the dog not to attack. Or the others for that matter!" Despite her best efforts to contain them, tears began to form on the corners of her eyes as the adrenaline in her system fired into overdrive. "I don't want to have to hurt anyone. I'm just here to scavenge," she continued, her tone pleading.

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (6 arrows, 1 knocked)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Otto Williams
Interactions: Dexter and Evie Summers
Mentioned: Lauren
-
Otto nodded to Dexter as he took his rifle from his back and pulled it to his shoulder but kept it low and to the ground as he turned to face the direction Dexter was crawling to, it was times like this that he was glad he had his iron sighted M1903A3 Springfield and was able to operate in these short range situations. His body started to coil, in the event he needed to move. Dexter had a point in that who ever had been watching them could of shot them at any moment if they had the attention to it didn't do anything to ease Otto's mind so he prepared himself to make a move.

-
He saw Dexter confront someone when a woman popped up from her hiding spot, Dexter had his hand at his side with his blade when he spoke. The woman or at least what Otto could see of her pointed to her being in Dexter's age range, she told him to drop his gun but her voice held an edge of panic to it something that made this situation much more deadly if the woman fired at Dexter in panic Otto also noted the British accent to her voice but he filled that away for latter. Dexter's face pointed to him feeling like he had the situation under control but Otto was ever the pessimist in situations involving people freaking out, Otto moved minding Lauren and her rifle's muzzle as to not be in the line of fire, his point of aim was now at an angle so if he had to fire the round exiting the woman's body wouldn't be able to hit Dexter. The blade of his front sight was lined up with the bow woman's torso and a jacketed soft point round of 30-06 was ready to be loosed and shred the woman's torso should she feel the need to fire that arrow she had pointed at Dexter. Otto would see if this groups leader could defuse the situation.
-
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
Machete x1
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full)
1903A3 Springfield

Eyes hardened, mouth pressing down into a frown as she turned around and aimed the bow at him. He had to admit that it was a ballsy move, and it kind of impressed him, but she didn't follow through with the pitch at all. Hands shaking, voice quivering, she was a spook away from either pissing herself or killing him, possibly both. "That wasn't the smart thing to do." He told her calmly, tossing the knife at her feet where it landed with a clatter that made him wince. That thing was damn near brand new and now it was gonna be all scratched up. Damn. He watched her face, noting the tears that sprung up as she commanded him to do several things that were by no means in her best interest. How had she managed to survive this long on her own?

Making sure his hands were visible at all times, and moving slowly so as not to spook her, he unhooked the holster from his belt and held it out. "Now listen here. This is a very expensive gun. And it has a lot of personal meaning. Under no circumstances am I going to drop it on the ground. So, you have two choices. You can either shoot me, or you can come get it yourself."

He offered the gun, butt first, to the girl. All he needed her to do was close the gap a little bit, and a tactical takedown would be too easy. He didn't plan on hurting her, quite the opposite in fact, but he also didn't plan on continuing with this little game until he didn't have a weapon aimed at his chest. The hand that wasn't holding the gun he gestured to Otto to move closer but hold fire.

"You gonna take it or not? This thing's heavy and my arm is getting tired." The lie came smoothly, an attempt at trying to lighten the mood, put her guard down, anything that would enable him to solve this without violence. "Just know that if you shoot me, I'm fairly certain you wouldn't be able to nock another arrow before my people gunned you down. And that wouldn't get us anywhere now would it?" That probably ruined the mood, but he liked to be honest.

BACKPACK (DEXTER):
Items: 2

Reactions: VengefulPeanut
Interactions: @JJ @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5 @VengefulPeanut

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley had wanted nothing more then to smack Dex's hand away when he ruffled her hair. She was still mad at her brother and she was going to make it very clear that she was. Though those thoughts were quickly wiped away when Hero had took off. Riley's eyes quickly took in the canine's restless, agitated body language and knew he had seen something. The thought of something or someone being so close without them noticing unnerved the teen.

It didn't take long before Dexter had quickly given Hero the 'leave it' and 'down' commands. Riley watched as hero dropped to the ground but that didn't stop him from giving off frustrated whines. She wanted nothing more then to call him back to her side so she could comfort him. But since she knew Hero was just doing his job. Riley would have to wait till Dex handled the situation.

Riley watched Dexter and Otto talk for a minute before her brother motioned towards her. "Get behind them, keep your eyes peeled, and don't go running off." Riley just rolled her eyes to him before crossing her arms. Like always Ri wanted to argue but decided it would just be easier not to. She was already familiar with Dexter extreme trait to be overprotective. So for now Riley would watch quietly and see how everything panned out. Once Hero was sent over to her, Ri dropped down to pet him. "You did very well. Good boy." Riley praised.

"Drop the gun!"
Riley's eyes shot up away from Hero and to where Dexter had been. Though now she wasn't able to get a good look at him because of the car he had went around. "Drop the gun and... and... erm... tell the dog not to attack. Or the others for that matter!" Riley became very uncomfortable with this situation. She knew Dex hadn't drawn his gun so the fact that the hysteric woman's voice was telling him to really worried her. This also meant that the woman had a weapon somehow pointed on her brother to be able to call the shots. "I don't want to have to hurt anyone. I'm just here to scavenge,"

This wasn't good! Whoever this woman was, was clearly armed and scared which was never a good combination. Riley dropped her baseball bat next to Lauren before she quickly made her way to the car. Now she was aware this could be a terrible idea but she doubted if the grisly Otto or the fully armed Lauren were to approach it would only make it worst. "Hero, Bleib." She quickly ordered the dog to stay before he could follow her around the car. Riley could hear that Dexter was trying to pacify the stranger but Riley also knew her brother was probably plotting something that could get him hurt.

"Stop!" Riley called out once she noticed the woman with a bow drawn on her brother. Her emerald green eyes were locked on the woman, hands raised as she made her way to Dexter. Riley was then standing between the two with her hands on her hips. "Look lady! I know this whole situation is terrifying and fucked up but i'm going need you to calm down. Before you seriously hurt someone." Riley said as she took another step closer to the woman. "We're not planing to hurt you. We're not the enemies, the infected are and if we all just turn against each other there is no way we'll survive this mess." Now Riley knew she was being very ballsy but the teen couldn't just stand around when there was a chance Dexter could get hurt. She had already lost everyone else and she refused to lose her brother to.

"Please, just put the bow down. I promise as long as you don't mean us any harm we wont either. Isn't it bad enough were being hunted down by monsters. Let alone our own kind as well now?" Riley stood only about a foot away from the woman with the bow directly pointed on her. "I'm Riley, that's my brother Dexter behind me and we have two friends on the other side of the car with our dog Hero. What's your name?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (Riley):
Items:
Lighter x 2
Toilet Paper x 1 roll
Food:

Granola bar x 2
Skittles x 1 packs
Water:

Bottles x 2 (filled)

4nAuzQs.jpg

"That wasn't the smart thing to do..." Dexter said as he knife clattered to the ground, her eyes flicking to it for a moment before locking back onto the gun that was still by his side. "Now listen here. This is a very expensive gun and it has a lot of personal meaning. Under no circumstances am I going to drop it on the ground. So, you have two choices. You can either shoot me or come get it yourself." Evie didn't like the sound of that. It reeked of danger. Biting into the inside of her lip, she shook her head, sniffling as she tried to hold back the tears that now began to paint paths down her cheeks. "You gonna take it or not? This thing's heavy and my arm's getting tired," he continued. There was something about the tone of his voice that lulled her into a false sense of security. Despite her mind screaming at her legs to stop, her body slowly carried her forward, though her arrow remained trained on him. As she approached, Riley jumped into her line of sight causing Evie to panic. Shuffling backwards, she narrowed her eyes at the girl as her body shook even more now, the pressure mounting.

"Please, please... just move!" Evie pleaded. "Just go!" As Riley began speaking, Evie scanned her surroundings, looking out for any of the others that might be looking to shoot her or sneak up on her. With Riley creeping closer, it was now or never. She had to shoot. She needed to do something. If she didn't then...

"Please, just put the bow down. I promise as long as you don't mean us any harm we wont either. Isn't it bad enough were being hunted down by monsters. Let alone our own kind as well now? I'm Riley, that's my brother Dexter behind me and we have two friends on the other side of the car with our dog Hero. What's your name?"

Slowly lowering her bow, Evie shoulder's hunched up as she couldn't choke back the tears any longer. She broke down sobbing as the wasted adrenaline in her system rampaged through her veins. It took her a moment to recompose herself, relieving the arrow of its restraint and replacing it in her quiver. "I'm Evie," she spoke. "Evie Summers. Please don't hurt me."

Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

Last edited by a moderator:

She had been so close to reaching for the proffered gun. Thirty seconds longer and she'd have taken the bait, leaving herself wide open to be instantly disarmed and in a very vulnerable position. In hindsight, it probably would not have inspired confidence if he'd attacked her right after insisting he meant no harm, but, ah well.

As Riley passed, he made a grab for her and missed, but not wanting to look like he, too, was rushing at Evie, and risk getting one (or both, depending on the drawstrength) of them shot clean through, he halted, taking a step back and letting Riley speak. Even though he knew that the stranger would be statistically less likely to harm Riley, someone of the same gender and of relative age, it made him incredibly uneasy for his younger sister to be in between him and a weapon-wielding stranger. So, as soon as Evie lowered the bow, he covered the distance between himself and Riley and seized her by the upper arm, yanking her towards him and away from the girl. He stared down at his sister, the fury evident in his eyes and the set of his jaw, and then released her, giving a not-so-gentle shove back towards Lauren with a look that said "we'll talk about this later" hanging unspoken in the air between them.

Now that that was over (which, not cool Riley!), he stepped closer to Evie, now too close for her to be a danger with the bow. "No one is going to hurt you." He said, though his tone was rather icy despite her tears. "But I'm going to need you to give me that bow."

He used the same tone he used with Riley often. The one that gave no room for argument. Because, truly, there wasn't. He was close enough now that he could use his body as a weapon rather than a knife or gun, and if she refused to give him the bow he'd just take it. There was a true dilemma here., though. He knew that the girl would not take kindly to him disarming her. But he also couldn't trust her with the weapon with as... emotionally compromised as she obviously was. True, they could go their seperate ways right here and now, and she would no longer be a threat, but that made him uneasy, too. With as quickly as she'd broken down, he figured it was a damned miracle that she'd lasted this long by herself. He didn't imagine that he'd be comfortable with leaving her here unless she absolutely insisted... his self enforced code of honor wouldn't allow it.

"Now, please." He continued, kneeling to pick up the knife he'd tossed over to her and resheathing it at his other hip. "We really need to get out of the open."

BACKPACK (DEXTER):

In many ways, Wyatt felt homeless. Although Impact Point offered him protection from the horrors of the new world, provided food, halfway reliable shelter and gave him a place to rest a night, the camp wasn't home. Impact Point wasn't where he was from, it was just where he was. Attempting to explain that, waxing poetic about the things he'd left behind, everything he missed, was stupid and Wyatt wasn't about to waste anyone's time. He nodded at the Brit instead, noticing that some of the hostility and venom had receded from his voice. "Yeah, that's where I'm staying," he said, "bunch of people are."

It wasn't surprising to hear that neither Finch or Cecilio had any real idea of where they were going, but where one sounded, the other was skeptical. Wyatt couldn't blame the man for that either—the road was an unforgiving place, full of people who were ready to do what was necessary to get by. Obviously, Cecilio had been tricked before, but there were plenty of people back at Impact Point who were the same type of wary. Wyatt knew that he was the exception, probably a little stupid to still expect to see the good in people.

"I'm not trying to trick you," he assured with a shake of his head, "but I get it. What do you want to know?" There was always a chance that they wouldn't be interested in coming back, that Impact Point might sound too good to be true and one or both would decide to take their chances out in the open. Wyatt hoped not, of course, figuring they would both die in some horrific way and if it was preventable, it just wasn't fair. He glanced over to Finch, who seemed content with the dog, and offered a half smile. "Where you coming from anyway?"

Backpack:
12 Gauge Double Barrel Sawed Off Shotgun (1, carrying)
12 Gauge Shotgun Ammunition, 2-3/4 (20 Shotshells)
Hunting/Boning Knife (1)
30oz Water/Water Bottle
Basic First Aid Kit (1)
Tinned Fish (2)
Soda Crackers (2 packages)

Interactions:
@Derp @Mysty

(Sorry I wasn't around for the post hurricane here, glad you made it without me, though!)

The sudden aggression from Hero had put Lauren on alert immediately. She shouldered her M16a4 immediately and took stance to aim down the sights and fire if and when it hit the fan. As Dexter left, she was already zeroing in on the general direction of the car in question, and as the mystery figure rose armed with a bow, her finger flexed around the trigger, about to fire. If this bitch was ready to kill her cousin, she'd be ready to kill her right back.

Dexter seemed to have a strategy, however, so while her finger stayed tight, she was ready to fire or even stand down at his command, although her younger cousin Riley came running towards the situation. While she certainly had a diplomatic touch in this immediate instance, Lauren couldn't help but curse the brashness she displayed approaching an armed stranger.

"Riley, get back here!"

She chased after her cousin whilst keeping the gun shouldered and sighted, fearing that her cousin might get impaled if she doesn't get to safety.

BACKPACK
Total Items: 11
Walther PPK/S x2 (8+1 rounds in left, 8 rounds in right)
Box of .32 ACP rounds (32 remaining)
M16A4 (30+1 rounds)
Box of 5.56x45mm rounds (30 remaining)
Survival Ax
Canned fish x2
Tupperware Container (dirty)
Small MP3 Player (dead)
Homemade Medkit (Contains Levofloxacin, Gentamicin, and bandages)​

Otto Williams
Interaction: Dexter
Mentioned: Evie Summers, Riley, Hero and Lauren
-

While his face still had a look of stoicism on it inside a sense of humor was forming as he found the situation very odd indeed, from his point of view Dexter had a good head on his shoulders though he could use a lesson or two on dealing with someone who was distressed like the young woman with the bow. Dexter's sister seemed to have a death wish though in how openly she approached the bow woman as for all they knew this woman was faking all of this to lull them into a sense of easiness before they were all ambushed, Lauren followed her younger cousin which Otto understood he would be very protective of any family he met out in this hellscape that had become home for them all.
-
While they were all making a fuss over the woman who had popped up with the bow and Otto saw Dexter was close enough that if the girl tried something he would be able to stop her and incapacitate her with his hands, he took to scanning the area around them looking for threats be they people or otherwise. He saw that large buildings surrounded them and would make for a good sniper's nest should someone be so inclined but as they hadn't been shot at yet Otto felt safe in assuming they were not being watched...well watched by hostiles entities anyway, along the roads sat many abandoned cars that would probably yield some results should they try and scavenge from them but that ran the risk of setting off a car alarm and drawing a hoard to them. Speaking of the hoards, Otto saw many areas that they could be ambushed by a zombie or a group of them mostly along the alleyways. The wind shifted so that it started to blow from the north, the air carried the stench of the infected a smell of rot crossed with filth. They had been drawing a large amount of attention to anyone that could hear them and Otto was sure that the infected would be able to hear their little powwow that was going on.
-
He made his way to Dexter, he walked with his back to the man and his front and eyes facing the city. He got to Dexter's side and turned his head to look at the man. "I know we just met and all but the wind just shifted and I can smell a large group of infected. I know it sounds far fetched but before all this I lived as a hermit in the forests, living outside any major population centers made my sense of smell really sensitive to really pungent odor and the infected got that funky rot and filth smell going on, i'm sure you have smelt it yourself. If you concentrate you will smell it to, it's coming from the north farther into the city the way the wind just started blowing from so if you are going to do something with the Brit with the bow then I would suggest doing it soon." Otto spoke so only Dexter could hear him, he'd rather not freak the man's younger sister or their cousin out and he especially didn't want the bow woman to go into hysterics plus he figured Dexter would be willing to actually listen to what he had to say about what was happening and not dismiss him out of turn, though if he didn't believe him Otto knew he would believe that dog of theirs who also seemed to be getting the scent though much stronger then Otto could ever smell.

4nAuzQs.jpg

As he approached, demanding that she hand over the bow, Evie shuffled backwards slightly, watching him intensely as he picked up his knife. Truthfully, the sense of panic she'd fallen under was starting to disperse, her brain becoming more of a voice in her decision making. She couldn't hand over the bow, nor could she hold Dexter back should he try to take it. She parted her lips to speak, though she held her tongue as Otto approached Dex. What was he saying? Why were the others not privy to the discussion? There was only one logical conclusion - it had to be related to the infected in some shape or form. Otto seemed like the kind of man who didn't want to "frighten the little girls". Or maybe she was just being judgmental. As Otto finished, Evie straightened her posture, trying to look a little less meek than she had done previously as she slung her bow over her back. Either this would work, or it would get her mugged, killed or worse.

"Look," she said, firmly wiping the tear marks from her cheeks. "Just like your gun, this bow has a lot of sentimental value. So I'm not going to hand it over." Despite her newfound confidence, her voice still had a little shake to it as the thought of how this could go wrong sat tormenting her at the back of her mind. "Now, your friend there probably just told you something about infected in the area I'm guessing - or if not infected, bandits. So, we do need to get out of the open." She swept her foot across the floor, kicking a load of dust to the side as she bit her lip, mulling over what to say next. "It's... it's been a while since I've last seen people who are still... people. I don't just mean the infected, either. If you're sincere in what you all say... I guess... I guess I'd like to tag along. At least for now... if you'll have me, that is." When she finished, she leaned back to rest on her hind leg, fingers idly fidgeting with the sakura pendant that hung round her neck. Her sky blue eyes were soft and pleading, yet determined and focused for once, as they beamed up at Dex's. "What do you say?" she asked, holding her out her hand. "Team?"
Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

As he waited for the bow to be handed over, growing increasingly agitated with each passing second, Dexter couldn't help but ponder on what had led them here in the first place. He and Riley had gone days without seeing another living... well... uninfected... human being, and now all of a sudden in a span of thirty minutes, he was the apparent leader of a group five strong. I didn't ask for this responsibility. He griped internally. But, realistically, he knew he wouldn't be comfortable placing his life, and certainly not Riley's or Lauren's, under the command of someone less qualified than himself. When Otto walked up behind him, leaning in to talk about a group of Infected moving supposedly moving towards them, he nodded with an annoyed grunt, lowering his voice to reply. "Alright, I believe you. We've gone too long already without being noticed by any Infected, it was only a matter of time."

Turning away from Otto, he faced Evie again, who had foregone the tears for a new, more confident attitude. But before he could speak she beat him to it, hashing out a new deal that was far more in her favor than Dexter had been willing to consider initially. He still didn't want to give her her way, but they did have more pressing concerns at the moment. So he let her finish, giving her a stare that was probably far too hostile to be warranted. "You can come with us to the Sci-Port." He said finally. "Anything further than that, we'll have to discuss when we get there." Gaze flicked to Lauren, who had finally crossed the street to join them in pursuit of Riley. Hero trailed after her, tail low and ears back as he couldn't quite tell what he was supposed to be doing.

When Evie held out her hand, Dexter looked back, but ignored it, stepping aside and pointing to Otto. "You walk behind him, and in front of me. And so help me if you so much as twitch towards that bow I will not hesitate to shoot you."

Raising his voice, he called out to Riley and Lauren. "You two lead the way to the Sci-Port. Keep your eyes open and stay quiet, if we can avoid any Infected on the way there, that's fantastic. If not, do not shoot your guns. They're slower than us and not as smart, but guns will draw more, and we won't stand a chance against a horde of them. Make adjustments to the path as necessary to go around them but the sooner we get there, the better. I'll take up the rear - get going."

He stepped behind Evie, waiting for the others to move forward and simultaneously questioning his life decisions. Maybe he'd been a little too harsh, but he figured as long as his people were safe, being known as an asshole wasn't too bad a thing. And he'd rather be a respected asshole than a disrespected gentlemen, right? Right.

BACKPACK (DEXTER):

4nAuzQs.jpg

Evie couldn't help but retreat slightly under Dexter's hostile gaze. However, any suspicions she had about her being unwelcome among them was confirmed when he refused to shake her hand. Hmm, rude... she thought to herself, a slight scowl on her face.

"You walk behind him, and in front of me. And so help me if you so much as twitch towards that bow I will not hesitate to shoot you."

The slight scowl on her face wasn't so slight anymore. This idea she had of scavenging in greater numbers being more pleasant and safer was soon seeming more stupid by the second. This is why you avoid people, Evie. They're arseholes. The lot of them. As she took her position in the formation, the burning feeling of Dex's gaze in her back, she sighed deeply. "You know, a bow is good for killing infected silently," she offered, a slight rebellious sarcasm to her tone. "But... I guess a deal's a deal." Preparing to move, she thumbed at her pendant once more, muttering words under her breath as if she were saying some sort of prayer. Let's just hope this "sci-port" is worth it, she grumbled internally, looking across the other members of the group to try and gauge how they were reacting to her presence.
Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

Otto Williams
Interaction: Evie Summers
Mentioned: Dexter, Lauren and Riley
-

He nodded to Dexter's words and took up the middle spot in their little formation in front of the new member. "Nice to see a new face, though I wish it were under better circumstances." Otto said to the British woman, his southern draw showing itself a little as he spoke. "Name's Otto Williams by the way and I didn't catch your name." He again spoke trying to make some form of chat, while he knew that Dexter's, Lauren's and Riley's attention was now on this new woman he was just as new as her and it probably wouldn't be to long before he was in the same spot as she was even if Dexter had agreed to let his join their group so he thought it behoove him to be friendly. His head was on a swivel along with his eyes, the wind had died down and the smell from before had died away a little but it was still there and moving nearer Otto hoped that this Sci-Port that Dexter had mentioned would be able to give them cover from the hoard moving through the city.
-
Backpack:
30-06 x 180 (18 boxes)
First aid x1
Smoked meat x1 pound
Machete x1
On person:
Canteen x1 (4/4 full)
1903A3 Springfield

Interactions: @JJ @VerbalAbuse @Dakota K5 @VengefulPeanut

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Riley stood away from Dexter and Evie as the two seemed to be trying to come to terms. Though Ri really wasn't in the mood to care, she was actually quite pissed that Dexter had pulled her so harshly. She didn't care if she was his 'baby sister' she wasn't an actual baby! It pissed Riley off so much when Dexter treated her like she was a child. So what if she was the youngest, Riley would never learn how to keep herself safe if he didn't let her. If Dex kept enabling her, Riley would never last on her own if he was gone. It's not like he could protect her forever...and if he tried he probably die trying to.

Riley groaned as she tried to shake the unpleasant thoughts away from her mind. She didn't have time to sulk or argue with her brother. What she needed to do was focus and make sure she could take care of herself so Dex wouldn't have to. Riley looked over to Lauren as her cousin and Hero came running up to her. "Good boy Hero. It's ok." Riley to the canine as she saw his uneasy stance. She leaned down to scratch behind the dog's ear when she noticed Otto making his way to Dexter.

What were they whispering about? Whatever it was it made Riley uneasy and she found herself looking around. Had Otto spotted something that they had missed in the middle of all the crazy that had been going on? Riley wanted to call out to Dexter and ask what it was but decided against it. Instead Riley signaled for Hero to stay close to her before she made her way back over to her baseball bat. It might not be a gun but it was still better then nothing.

Riley had been scanning the area before Dex's voice jarred her from her mind. "You two lead the way to the Sci-Port. Keep your eyes open and stay quiet, if we can avoid any Infected on the way there, that's fantastic. If not, do not shoot your guns. They're slower than us and not as smart, but guns will draw more, and we won't stand a chance against a horde of them. Make adjustments to the path as necessary to go around them but the sooner we get there, the better. I'll take up the rear - get going." She gave a small nodded before she made her way over to Lauren. Once they started making their way towards the Sci-Port Riley could feel Hero on guard next to her. The canine's body was rigged, nostrils flared and eyes swishing around them quickly as he moved forward. Riley wanted nothing more then to sooth her companion but she knew that if he was alert she should be to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKPACK (Riley):
Items:
Baseball Bat
Lighter x 2
Toilet Paper x 1 roll
Food:

Granola bar x 2
Skittles x 1 packs
Water:

Bottles x 2 (filled)

4nAuzQs.jpg

As they started moving, Evie wiped away a final tear with the pads of her fingers, sniffling slightly as she did so. Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly as her eyes carefully scanned the terrain. She watched the alleyways, the windows, the rooftops. Regardless of Dex's threat, she knew that should it come to it she might need to defend herself. Her fingers twitched slightly, her muscles preparing to rip the hunting knife from the holster on her lower back should it come to a point that desperate. It may have been overthinking and thinking too far ahead, but in truth, thinking that way in combination with a lot of luck is what had got her this far.

Evie audibly hummed, cocking her head to the side as Otto spoke to her. She didn't quite expect him to be the one to break the silence, of all people. Riley maybe, or the punk-looking Lauren. Not Otto. Still, it was a nice gesture that she appreciated. A warm smile etched its way slowly onto her face.

"Evie," she responded, sweetly. "Evie Summers." Letting the silence hang for a moment, she looked back momentarily at Dexter to see if he'd relaxed his posture or stance slightly, or if he was still hellbent on blowing her brains out if she even scratched an itch on her back. Turning her attention back to Otto, she chuckled slightly. "It's kinda funny. The end of the world and I'm still as bad with first impressions as I always have been. Pretty ridiculous, right?"
Backpack (Evie):
Items (3):

- Hunting Knife
- Blanket
- Bow (7 arrows)

Water (1):
- Canteen (Almost Empty)

Food (0):

Outfit:
[spoili]

LV5rtu9.jpg

[/spoili]​

At her cousin's instruction, Lauren began making her way towards the Sci-Port, back the way she came. They were only a couple of blocks away, and on the way here she'd seen no one despite Hero's barking, but they could have been drawn here in all the time it had taken them to meet up, and then be intercepted by both Otto and the girl whose name she didn't know. What were the odds that in such a short period of time she'd gone from being alone, to in a group of five. Where two of the others were her family members, no less. If there was a God, it sure seemed like he was on their side right now. She slowed a bit to let Riley pull beside her, looking over to her younger cousin and reaching over to pat her on the shoulder. "Don't look so sulky, Ry, that was a pretty dangerous thing to do. Maybe Dex got a little overzealous but it's only because he cares." She bumped Riley gently with her shoulder. "But we'll get him back for it later, okay? Just like old times." She gave a conspiritorial grin, adjusting her rifle so that it was more comfortable against her shoulder and pointed upwards, though the safety was still off and she could be ready to fire at any moment.

They rounded the corner, the Sci-Port just ahead of them now and about half a block away. She slowed, calling back. "I was here not too long ago - I did a quick sweep of the place and grabbed what I could but it could def do with a more thorough look. With five of us now it will be easier to share the weight."

BACKPACK (LAUREN):
Items: 11
Walther PPK/S x2 (8+1 rounds in left, 8 rounds in right)
Box of .32 ACP rounds (32 remaining)
M16A4 (30+1 rounds)
Box of 5.56x45mm rounds (30 remaining)
Survival Ax
Tupperware Container (dirty)
Small MP3 Player (dead)
Homemade Medkit

(Contains Levofloxacin, Gentamicin, and bandages)
Food: Canned fish x2

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.