Military Misadventures

• Thread starter The Rainbow Cat Bandit
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
(Thanks! I quite like it and it still fits the rainbow theme of my profile. :3)

Leo also offered his input. "Rise and shine, children! After breakfast, you all get to start your training. Prepare yourselves."he called out after making his bed and vaulting down to the ground. Other veterans hooted and offered their own input to rouse the newer members. The veterans probably weren't all too keen on waking up early, but they were plenty used to it and could cope. Light filtered in through the windows as she sun began its ascension.

Kohana nearly flinched when Lea spoke, having not heard the vampire jump down from her bunk. Recovering, she maintained her proud stance and crossed her arms casually. "Morning."she replied curtly, looking over to Abby and Mark.

Fergus made his appearance, his hair damp to show that he had woken up even before the bell to bathe himself. He addressed his now awake and almost fully ready squadron. "That's right. Newbs, your training starts today. You will do your best and that is an order. Our squadron must stay strong and grow to its full potential in skill. I will tolerate little failure. You best eat a good breakfast, but be mindful not to over eat or you'll be seeing your meal again late."he announced, eliciting a few quiet chuckles from veterans that were probably remembering their first day.

"Alright, now that that's cleared up. Line up everyone."Fergus added. The veterans and new soldiers alike filed in to form two neat lines, standing so each partner was next to each other. Kohana found her place in the back next to Lea, Mark and Abby standing in front of them. They all marched out, staying in formation until they reached the mess hall and had to make one line to retrieve food.

This morning they had bowls of oatmeal, eggs, some mixed fruit, as well as water or milk to drink. Cups of blood were given to whoever was willing to take one. These cups were larger than last nights, suggesting that the cooks had showed enough pity to allow more blood this day for any of the newbies. Kohana declined the blood, taking water to drink instead. Once everyone had their food, the members of squadron 13 reached their table and sat in their respective places. Fergus and his second in command were sitting across from each other at the front end of the table and Kohana and Lea were sitting across from each other at the end with every other member seated in between.

((You're welcome :3 It looks pretty hehe. *love rainbows*))

"Rawr Leo!" Aya called out to him, snickering slightly before quieting down as she got her stuff ready, not wanting to be told off by Fergus if she was as slow as a newbie. Her tail swayed to and fro as she sat down on her fixed bed, legs swinging somewhat. She almost seemed as if she was much too young to be in the military. Lahk meanwhile was ready as well, standing next to his and Aya's bunk bed, waiting with a friendly but reserved expression on his face.

Lea meanwhile felt huffy when she was replied but not looked at. She wasn't that annoying already, was she? She'd only said one freaking thing! Gah, this is so annoying!

The voice in her head was snickering at her. Now you know how everyone else feels when you open your mouth!

She pouted somewhat before waving to Abby and Mark before looking up, seeing Fergus enter. So he had gotten up early enough to clean up? That made Lea want to do one up. She always wanted to be the best. She'd have to find a way to trump them all. For the time being though, she simply listened to him and then lined up, standing next to her partner. The schedule was definitely something she'd have to get used to, but she was sure she'd be able to quickly enough.

Seeing food made her grin properly for the first time that day. She made sure to grab the cup of blood, the scent tantalizing her. If there was free blood to be had, then Lea was not going to let it go. She didn't care much for the fruit, but she did like eggs and oatmeal. Soon enough she sat down and was eating and drinking up, licking her lips as the blood rushed down her throat. She wondered if coffee was allowed but decided not to expect too much.​

Kohana was quick to begin eating, spooning oatmeal into her mouth. She would have preferred meat of course, but she couldn't always get what she wanted. To make the oatmeal more tolerable, she stirred her fruit into it and continued to eat with the new addition. Occasionally she paused to take small sips of her water, her mind beginning to fully awaken as her senses grew sharper. She began thinking about how this day may go, actually feeling pretty hyped up about her first day of training.

Abby ate her oatmeal happily, pausing on occasion to gnaw on some fruit. Mark ate silently, chewing carefully. He seemed to be enjoying the mix of oats and apples, which wasn't surprising considering his species. "So, are you guys excited, or what?"Abby asked.

Kohana swallowed, her mood being improved with food and giving her the urge to socialize today. "I'm pretty excited. I do hope we have a bit of sword play today since I've been dying to show off Steel Kiss."she commented, glancing over her shoulder to see her sword resting within its leather sheath.

"Steel Kiss? That's a mighty cool sword name."Abby replied, seeming enthused.

"What about you, Lea? Are you pumped up, and if so, what for? Personally, I want to play capture the flag or try some archery."Abby turned to lea now, addressing the vampire. mark just watched idly, enjoying his meal and trying to ignore the cup of blood that sat in front of Lea.

Lea was quite happy to indulge in her food while listening to the others talk. She stopped drinking the blood once her cup was half empty, wanting to keep some goodness when she was done with her meal. She scarfed down the oatmeal and then worked on her eggs a little more slowly, finally looking up at the others. She was pretty surprised to hear Kohana talk, and even sound a little enthusiastic. Was it because someone else was talking with her?

She huffed inwardly before watching the werewolf momentarily, eyes falling to her lips for a second. Steel Kiss, huh... She wondered if that's what it'd feel like to actually steal a kiss from her. A smirk came over her face as she looked back at her food. Hooray for my awesome pun, I'm so punny! She wanted to say it out loud so badly but she didn't want to sour the werewolf's mood already.

"Hm?" Lea looked up when Abby spoke her name. "Erm, let's see. I'm pretty awesome at everything, so it's kinda hard t'choose, y'know?" She gave the hawk a wink before snickering slightly. "Eh, archery probably. Been a while since I've shot somethin' and my fingers are gettin' itchy." She wondered how good Abby was; maybe they could have friendly competitions! "What 'bout you, Mark?"​

Kohana snorted in response to Lea's boasting. She continued to eat, quickly finishing up her oat meal and beginning to work on her eggs. Mark was also eating quietly, soon finishing his oat meal and also moving onto eating his eggs. He seemed to take his time when eating, chewing carefully before swallowing. Kohana was more hasty and aggressive with her eating, riding the line between polite and impolite.

"Archery is pretty awesome!"Abby agreed with a nod. She gave her brown recurve bow a quick glance. Abby was a decent archer, archery having been important to the tribe she had been raised in. She had been loosely disciplined, yet she had the enthusiasm and determination to pursue the skill and do it well. She had killer accuracy and a could notch an arrow or string a bow like a pro. The thing was that she couldn't wield another weapon weapon very well, having only been trained in archery.

Mark lifted his gaze from his food when addressed. He was more of a listener than a talker, but he decided to answer. "Sparring, probably. I like using my axe."he said after swallowing a bite of food. His axe was rather short, its handle only three feet long. This was just his axe for traveling though, and he would probably acquire one fit for battle when needed.

Lea huffed a little when she heard Kohana's snort. Why'd the werewolf always have to be so negative toward her?! It had been less than a day yet she felt as if it had been months since she'd been disliked by Kohana. It just wasn't fair! What the hell did she do to her anyway? She sulked inwardly, and it showed outwardly as well, her bottom lip sticking out somewhat as she turned to look at Abby. She did smile at the hawk shifter's enthusiasm. Why couldn't she had gotten her as a partner instead?!

"Sparring, huh? Bet you'll wanna fight against her then." Lea motioned toward Kohana with a nod. She guessed the werewolf wouldn't have problem with him. Hm... she wondered what would happen if she had to fight in a spar against Kohana. Ugh... She could bet her hand that her partner would take that opportunity to pound her into the ground, literally. Blah. "I'm not into sparring... unless gotta." She downed the rest of the blood in her cup and let out a satisfied sigh.

((Would you mind if I brought in Naoki? I kinda miss her lol))

Kohana noticed the change in Lea's expression, finding that it appeared she was pouting thanks to the lip that was jutting out now. She wondered what had happened that made her partner react that way. All she had done was snort at her boasting was all. If Lea couldn't handle that then their partnership was going to be a rough ride. Well, Kohana had to admit that she herself was quick to react, but she'd never allow herself to pout. She felt as if she were above pouting, no longer being a puppy. Unknown to most, she was still capable of making puppy eyes, though she hadn't in years. The last time Kohana had done it was when she wanted her brother to let her going on a hunting trip. Yes it had worked.

Kohana and Mark exchanged looks as if assessing one another. Kohana judged that she probably had more experience thanks to her time in the arena as well as her history as a warrior, though she knew that Mark was bigger and stronger than her. A single kick could do her in. Well, if he were in his horse form. In a normal brawl though, she was pretty confident in her own odds thanks to the techniques she knew. Kohana wasn't sure how she would do against a faster opponent, someone light on their feet. She assumed she would soon find out, probably having to spar Lea at one point. Kohana was still confident in her chances of winning, but it probably wouldn't be too easy.

"Really? Sparring's fun. I bet you just don't like it because you're not good at it."Kohana replied to Lea, offering a half smile after her remark.

Abby and Mark exchanged quick looks, wondering how this confrontation would go now that Kohana openly challenged her partner and sort of insulter her.

Lea was quite happy when she saw Mark and Kohana looking at each other. It meant that her opinion had been taken somewhat seriously. When she looked at the two, it was hard for her to decide who might be the better fighter. Mark definitely looked strong, and she figured he probably had some techniques up his sleeves. They always did say, 'silent ones are the violent ones'... and there was also the fact that prey usually fought back strong enough when in a tight spot. Then again, Kohana seemed like she'd seem way too many fights, and that sword seemed to be her pride and joy; Lea was betting it was used to slice quite a few people who didn't survive to tell the tale.

She blinked when she realized Kohana was talking to her. At first she was pleased; finally a proper statement to her! But then she actually let the words process. She didn't know whether to brush it off with a snicker or take it as the insult she figured the werewolf meant. It irritated her slightly; why didn't anyone else get snorts and the snide comments? Was it just because she was a vampire? It was so unfair!

Stop acting like a baby and grow up, the voice in her head told her. You don't know her or what she may have gone through.

She doesn't know me either! Lea protested, huffing in her head this time around.

The world doesn't revolve around you, remember?

"Hey, I'm good at washing dishes but I still think it sucks a**," she finally retorted, though she had a smirk on her face. "We'll just see, won't we?" She had to make sure she beat her now!​

Kohana raised a lip slightly, showing off a fang in what appeared to be an amused gesture. She watched Lea come to the realization over what had just been said to her, finding enjoyment from the vampire's sudden revelation. She awaited a retort, soon receiving one. Kohana found it was a decent response, though she still believed herself to be a better fighter of course. Kohana suddenly had the urge to wipe that stupid smirk off of her partner's face, hating that the table had been turned on her like that.

"Yes, we'll see soon."Kohana replied, voice seeming curt. She already felt confident that she'd come out on top if they brawled. After all, she had plenty of experience. However, she did not quite know how Lea truly fought. The vampire seemed light on her feet and skilled in anything involving a lot of accuracy. Kohana was usually light upon her feet, but she didn't have vampiric speed and agility, that was for sure. She was too confident in herself to show much apprehension, though she probably should have.

Abby cleared her throat, sensing the tension in between the two. "I'm sure it will be a great fight."she commented.

Lea shrugged a second before downing the rest of the blood in her cup. She wasn't too sure herself, but she'd hella try to make it look good. She was not going to go down and see the look of smug victory on Kohana's face from beating her! She licked her lips a little before looking over to Abby and giving her a grin, lifting her thumb up. "Yeah, it will be," she said confidently, reaching over and patting the hawk shifter on the back. She wasn't going to let anything bring her spirits down. Besides, the brawl would be just one part of their training. She'd bet she was better at other things that the werewolf wasn't.

"What 'bout you, li'l Abby?" she said with a chuckle, nudging her lightly with her elbow as she pushed her tray away toward the center of the table. Her eyes were bright and inquisitive as she looked at the hawk shifter, raising an eyebrow. "How d' you think you'd do in a brawl?" She was actually a little worried about how the girl would fight back, seeing how she looked smaller and frailer than her other friends. Of course, she'd be cheering the girl, seeing how Abby got along so well with her.

"Here's a tip, go for the family jewels on a dude..." Lea snickered before continuing. "And with a girl, grab her hair. Serious. Wanna know why I got my hair cut? Easy target to grab!"

"Grabbing tails help too," Aya called from where she was sitting, leaning forward to look at the others.​

Abby didn't flinch away from Lea's touch, being one that enjoyed physical contact and praise. She smiled over at Lea, her eyes portraying all of the energy stored up inside that little body of hers. She sat on the edge of her seat, pausing her eating after she had finished up all of her oatmeal. She seemed to be avoiding consuming the eggs on her plate, leaving them untouched. It was understandable considering her species, as it wasn't cannibalism, but it still seemed peculiar to her.

Abby seemed amused by lea's question and comments, looking over to Aya when the werecat veteran made her own comment. "I'll keep those in mind, cause brawling isn't my thing. I can manage a few quick jabs, but I think Id make a pathetic melee fighter. I'm all for attacking from a distance though. The bulky people can deal with toting swords and axes, but I'm not cut out for it. Hell, I don't think I could even hold Kohana's sword. Let's test my theory."she replied.

Kohana complied, freeing Steel Kiss from its sheath. She held the long sword in one hand and handed it over the table to Abby. Abby reached out with one hand, the same hand quickly thumping to the table from the unexpected weight. She had to use two hands to lift it and it felt awkward in her nimble fingers. "I was right, this is weird. You can have your Iron Bite, was it?"she asked, trying to give it back to Kohana.

Kohana snorted at Abby's attempt to wield the sword as well as her biffing the name. "Its' Steel Kiss."she corrected as she deftly slid the weapon back into its leather sheath.

Lea slung an arm around Abby's shoulder, holding her close for a second before letting her go. "Ah, we're like sisters, you an' me. I'm the same, attack from a distance, all nice and clean." She reached back and patter her beloved bow. "This baby helps me in most of my 'adventures'. If I gotta do some close fightin', then I use my daggers." She could use a sword and axe, but she wasn't seasoned in them nor did she want to be. Her brother Sven however was different. Of course, it was pretty hard for him to wield a bow with only one hand.

She watched as Abby took hold of Kohana's sword, head tilted to the sighed, chuckling slightly when she saw it was pretty heavy for the hawk shifted. She wanted to try lifting it herself, but she figured that Kohana wouldn't want her touching her weapon. She could understand that; she wouldn't want anyone touching her bow either. Still, she was a little interested if she'd be able to handle something that size.

Before Lea could make a comment about the name of the sword, Aya had started talking from where she sat. "I couldn't lift that up, no ways! I usually keep to like a much smaller sword." She pulled her sword from its sheath at her waist. It looked slim and slightly at a curve, much like a katana. "I don't have a name for it though."​

Kohana wasn't a fan of short swords, preferring long swords any day. The power it provided was enough to make her blood hot in any battle. The damage it made was also inpressive. However, Kohana still enjoyed most blades and didn't mind short swords when used properly. After all, swords were still swords, and swords were pretty awesome. In fact, Kohana's first sword as a child had been a short one since she couldn't dream of lifting a long one at that age. It had been blunted for her saftey, but she had loved the thing all the same. She had carried it around everywhere and jokingly referred to it as Iron Nibble after her mother's, and now her own sword. Steel Kiss was Kohana's most prized possession and she wasn't sure what she would do without it.

Looking at Aya's sword, she noted it was alike to a katana of sorts, and excellent slicing weapon. "Well every sword needs a name. You should think of one. "Kohana commented with a light smile before finishing up her eggs.

Abby seemed to take a moment to think. "I know bows don't have names, but I've called mine Swift Shot before. It's cheesy, but I like the alliteration."she admitted, looking to her chesnut colored recurve bow that hung on her back.

Aya hm'd a moment, scratching her chin as she thought of what Kohana said. "A name for my sword, hm..." Since she'd never actually thought of naming her weapon, she didn't even have any potential names in stock. She tapped at the table with her free hand before giggling. "I'mma pick the name from the first words the next one of you say!" She gave a grin before looking at them all rather triumphantly. She had managed to push that onto others.

Lea snickered a little, ready to give a rather raunchy name. Lahk saw this and cleared his throat. He was a calm and placid fellow, but he had him limits too, and he was not about to let his little partner walk around with a sword named something weird. "Avenger," he said, giving her a small smile. "That's what you want to use it for, right?" He was proud of how far she had gotten by herself and with her aid. Truthfully, he felt that she helped him more than he helped her.

"Good name!" Aya said with a grin, looking over to her new friend to see if she approved. Lea simply huffed, though she was happy as well. She looked to Abby and then her bow. It wasn't so different from her bow, only a little bigger. She wondered if maybe it was time to name hers as well? Hm...

"You got a name for all your weapons?" she asked Kohana curiously.​

Kohana found it a poor idea on Aya's part to let another name such an important weapon. Especially since Lea was across the table snickering in a manner that suggested she was ready to offer a more inappropriate or generally vulgar name. Kohana wouldn't put it passed the young vampire to spout some obscenity,as she seemed to have a mischievous nature about her from Kohana's observation.

Kohana was relieved to hear Lahk offer an appropriate name and even back the suggestion up with a compelling reason. The werewolf nodded with a light smile, showing she believed the name, "Avenger," to be a rather fitting title considering Aya's desire to get revenge on those that hurt her. Kohana's sword name didn't have much of an in depth reason behind it, as it was just a fierce and almost humorous one. Her mother had explained she chose it because some executioners of her era used "Steel Kiss," as a term for killing someone using the standard great sword. "A steel kiss upon the neck," as they may say.

Kohana snorted at Aya's question. "Yes. There's Steel Kiss, but then there's Kohana."she joked, gesturing first to her sword and then to her teeth. Being a wolf shifter, she could very well use herself as a weapon. Her large wolf form had enough sharp claws and fangs to be considered lethal and through hunting and fighting, have been proved to be.

"Yikes, I think I'mma take chances with Steel Kiss rather than Kohana!" Aya gave a chuckle as before she leaned forward and finished off the rest of her meal. She tended to eat a lot for someone her stature. It was a bad habit that had come to her as a slave, afraid that someone would steal her food. The only good food was the one that was inside of her. It was something that was hard for her to stop, though thankfully she burned it off during training.

Lea stretched out at the table, hands up in the air for a moment before letting out a slight yawn. She'd have to get used to this schedule of waking up early again. The blood made up for it somewhat though, along with the food. She wished her brother was here too but Sven hadn't felt there was place for a single armed man in such a force. He would have been much better at handling changes in schedules as well as listening to authority and getting along with his teammates. She'd bet Kohana would be more accepting toward him than to her!

"So, whatcha think they got for us in trainin' today?" she asked aloud.​

Abby finished a bite of food thoughtfully as she processed Lea's question. She cast her eyes upwards and swallowed before making eye contact with Lea. "Hmm, I'm not sure. I'd assume we'd start out learning certain drills and basic maneuvers."she offered. Abby had finished eating now and rested her elbow on the table top to allow herself to hold her chin in her hand in a relaxed gesture. Mark didn't speak up as per usual, but he did appear to be listening to the current conversation.

"I hope we get to practice some swordplay. I can teach the other rookies a lesson or two about wielding steel. Well, I hope that they at least have the decency to not force us to use wooden swords or anything. We're not children."Kohana added, crossing her arms and resting her elbows on the table.

Leo now focused on the others instead of the veterans at his other side. "You guys are children now. Children in the eyes of those who have been doing this whole war thing for years. Sure you guys aren't incompetent, but trust me when I say that you have a lot to learn."he said with a casual smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hm... I'm gonna have t'side with my partner here," Lea said with a slight huff. "Yeah, sure, they're gonna have to teach us whatever, and yeah, we prob got stuff to learn." She knew she had t learn how to work with others, she was so much more a solo player, at least when it came to using her 'talents' in a violent situation. "Still, we got s*** we know, ain't like we're babies..."

She could hear the voice in her head scoffing at her. You're a brat, that's what you are. You're going to have to humble yourself if you want to learn anything new. You couldn't even help your own partner yesterday... and you think you're ready to take on a group of seasoned fighters who want to kill you? Dream on.

Shut up! she growled back. She wished the voice would just keep mum sometimes.​

(Yikes! Sorry for not responding sooner.)

Kohana rolled her eyes at Leo's comment as well, assuming she knew enough. Although she was fluent in combat from her years as a warrior and time as a slave, Kohana lacked discipline. Her fighting style was kill or be killed, although she had some decency and wouldn't pull hair unless she had to. No, Kohana would much rather use claws or steel to make her oppenents give in or to throw them off.

Leo finished the last bite of his food and swallowed with a smile. "I betcha don't know sh*t about this whole war business."he claimed. Then to alleviate any anger he added, "But don't worry, fussy fangs. You'll learn soon enough."

Then Leo and the other veterans began to clean up their trays. Kohana and others followed suit.

((It's okay :) We've all been busy afterall!))

Lea put away her her tray as well. "Fussy fangs my a**, I'm the least fussy girl you'll find." She gave them a grin before yawning some more, stretching out a little. Well, maybe Leo was right and there was some stuff she had to get used to, like this blasted schedule. Sven was probably thrilled about that, of course. He was always for organization, after all. She let out a breath of irritation, wondering why the hell she always thought of him. She was perfectly fine by herself!

Aya looked between Kohana and Lea before sidling over to Leo, nudging him some. "Hm, ya don't think it'll be that bad for 'em, do ya?" she asked, looking up at him. Her ears twitched some, her tail up and curved at the tip like a question mark. She could remember when she had first come, it had been a little strange for her as well, but since she had been a slave, she was really used to listening to orders. She hoped it would be for her new friends as well, not wanting them gone.​