Messing With Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I...I'm sorry," Lucy said. She didn't mean to get him upset or anything, though she was right. However, he did have his reasons. It made sense that he needed to get away from some things sometimes. "Maybe, you can find something else one day that will help you, instead of smoking. Something that will help you when you can't handle things. Then, you can stop smoking, maybe." Lucy took a look back at the kids. They seemed to be getting along a lot better now. It was beginning to get later, probably time to leave the park soon.

Isaac closed his eyes but turned his head so he faced her. "Don't be sorry, you're right," he said. "Considering that the sky is probably as black as the darkness of my eyelids, I think we should get to your place." He opened his eyes, shot a wink at Lucy and turned to the playground. "Maisie! Come here, please," he called.

Lucy nodded. "Come on Luke, we should head back home. Maisie and Isaac are going to come with us," Lucy said. A few minutes later, Luke came with Maisie back to Isaac and Lucy.

"She's coming over," Luke commented. He turned away to not face Maisie. "I guess she can come and all." He was just trying to hide that he was glad she would be coming along with them.

Lucy smiled. "Let's go. It's this way." Lucy started walking out of the park, leading the others back to her and Luke's house. Once they got there, Lucy opened up the door and went inside, turning on the light to see inside. She let the others come in, then closed the door behind them. "I'll start with dinner. You can just make yourself at home." The house was quite large. It was obvious that the family had a lot of money. It probably made some of her comments about her parents make sense.

The house was fancy, much better than what Isaac and Maisie were used to. "Mase, take off your shoes, you don't want to make their carpet dirty," Isaac instructed. After Maisie obliged and ran off with Luke, Isaac but his own combat boots and Maisie's tiny pink slippers onto the shoe rack beside the door and followed Lucy into the kitchen.

"Let me help," he insisted. He felt bad. He wasn't used to other people waiting on him -- Isaac was raised to be in charge and responsible for himself. Well, he wasn't raised like that, but he picked up the habit after his mother went on her downward spiral. "Please."

The only person who ever helped Lucy was Luke, but it would be kind of nice to have someone else help as well. "Alright. I guess you can help out," Lucy commented as she tried to look through the kitchen real quick to see what she had that she could make. "How about we just make some pizza tonight? Does Maisie like pizza? While it isn't the most healthy for you, it's one of Luke's favorites and since it is getting later, we should get some food in those kids stomachs."

"Pizza would be resplendent. Maisie loves pizza." He stepped forward to help her pull the ingredients out of the pantry. "So, the kids seem to like each other," he noted as he pulled his sweater off. The back of his sleeveless shirt hiked up, briefly showing his elaborate back tattoos.

"Yeah. That's good," Lucy said. "I'm glad they are getting along." She worked with him to take out what they needed, though peaked over to look at the tattoos briefly. Though, she quickly looked away when she realized that she was actually staring at him. Once the ingredients were out, Lucy began to work on making the dough and the rest of the pizza with Isaac's help. Eventually, they finished and she placed it into the oven to cook. "Now we just have to wait for some time while it cooks." Meanwhile, she began to set the table up for all of them.

Isaac sat at a stool at the bench. He was so tall, his feet still touched the ground when he sat. "So, Princess, what's next for you?" he asked. "After school I mean. Let me guess -- lawyer. Doctor. President of the United States. I don't picture you staying here after graduation."

Lucy looked over at Isaac. Why did he always say princess anyway? "How come you expect me to go into those kind of things? Just because I'm the student council president doesn't mean I want to become the president of the United States or anything like that," she commented. She finished setting the table and took a seat as well while they still waited on the pizza. "Actually, I'm supposed to follow in the foot steps of my parents and work at the family business. But, truthfully, I want to be a kindergarten teacher. I like taking care of children, and I want to be apart of their lives when they are beginning to grow up."

Isaac nodded. "Well, you should do what you want to do. Don't let your parents dictate how you live your life. You go be the best goddamn kindergarten teacher in the world, and I'm sure Luke can take control of the family business later." Isaac felt strongly about this because he had never had the options other kids had.

He was right. There was Luke to take over, so there was a possibility that she could do what she wanted. He made her smile at the thought of being able to do what she wanted. "Maybe I will," Lucy said. "Well, what about you? You can't just ask me the question and not answer for yourself as well. What are you going to do after graduation?"

"Well I graduate next year, but Maisie's still got eight years of school and I don't have the money to go to college," said Isaac. "So I'll probably stay in this town and get a job somewhere. If I can get a job, given my record, of course." He grimaced.

That was true. He probably wouldn't be able to do much since there was Maisie in the mix. "You could still try going to college part-time or something like that. There's plenty of people who work and attend classes. As for a job, maybe I can see if there's anything at the place I work. The owner of the restaurant is pretty laid back about things. So, he might be fine with you." The sound of the timer went off for the pizza and Lucy got up to take it out. She then had to let it cool for a bit before she could cut it.

"Thank you, Lucy," he said sincerely. All Isaac's life, no one had really tried for him. Not his mother, or his father. His teachers had almost completely given up on him. It felt good to have someone care. "Should I go and get the kids now?"

"You're welcome," Lucy commented. She then nodded, since the pizza was pretty much ready to eat it was best to get the kids. "Don't forget to make sure they wash their hands before they come." Meanwhile, she began to cut up the pizza so that they could get slices. Once that was done, she gave them all something to drink and waited for them to show up.

Isaac returned with the kids. When Maisie had her dinner, he pushed her chair in and sat beside Lucy at the table. He took one bite of the pizza before announcing, "This is delicious."

He felt comfortable and safe, even though the voice at the back of his head was annoyingly telling him that this would probably not happen again for a while. He didn't want to annoy Lucy and he didn't want to overstay his welcome. He watched Maisie talk to Luke while they ate. He noticed Maisie didn't have such fabulous table manners as Luke, but shrugged it off -- after all, she was nine.

"Thank you, although it's just pizza. It isn't too hard to make, and you helped out too," Lucy said when Isaac complimented the pizza. She was glad to see that Luke seemed to be enjoying Maisie's company. They were talking and laughing together, something that Lucy hadn't seen in Luke with anyone besides herself in a while. And, it seemed that Maisie was enjoying herself too. When Lucy finished all the pizza she wanted for dinner, she got up from her seat and began to clean off her plate she used.

Isaac and Maisie finished at the same time; Isaac took both of their plates and washed them off in the sink. "Thank you so much for dinner, Lucy," he said to her, smiling sincerely for once. "Maisie, what do we say to Lucy?"

"Thank you, Lucy," said Maisie, smiling.

Isaac smiled back at his sister. "So Maisie has apparently not inherited any of my evil traits. That is excellent."

"You're very welcome," Lucy said to the both of them, giving a smile back. "You're welcome to come over and have dinner again anytime you like, right Luke?"

"Yeah, I guess she can come over another time." The two comments from the boys in the room made Lucy laugh a bit. She looked over at the time and noticed that he was probably best that Isaac and Maisie head home. She didn't want them heading back when it was too late at night. Luke had picked up his plate and cleaned it off after he was done too.

Lucy put away any left over pizza into the refrigerator. "It was nice to have you two over. It made it much more lively here tonight."

"You trying to kick us out?" he accused jokingly, laughing. "I'm kidding. Maisie, say goodbye to Luke."

"Goodbye, Lucas," said Maisie in a pretend British, snobby accent, before laughing in the same way as her brother and punching Luke gently on the arm. "I'll see you at school."

"And I'll see you at school," said Isaac to Lucy. At the front door, after Isaac and Maisie had their shoes on, Isaac leaned down, kissed Lucy on the cheek and muttered, "Thank you, again."

"PIGGYBACK!" Maisie demanded. Isaac grinned and hoisted his sister onto his back, before stepping outside. He smiled, winked and said, "See you, princess," before turning around and walking away.

Status
Not open for further replies.