• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"Mom always says I get sick when I eat the batter, but it's real nice, and... and maybe I won't be sick 'cos I've eaten before it, so sure," he agreed eagerly, smiling quietly to himself at the lengths his brother was going to. He realised he was often heavily dependent on him and sometimes required his brother to defend him when he couldn't defend himself (which was often), but he never once was unappreciative of Cain's efforts. He always thanked him for it, whether that was verbally or through a few hugs and pieces of affection.

Gabriel had intended to hand his mother the cupcakes made for her when she stepped through the door, assuming she would stick to her prediction and arrive home at about midnight. What he failed to realise was that things could spring up suddenly at work and cause her to stay longer than she thought, which was why it was around 2 in the morning before she got in the door, and by that time, Gabe had crashed out on the couch tiredly. By the time he woke up in the morning, covered in blankets his mother had put around him, the first thing he noticed was the smell of pancakes wafting through the house, which had been their Monday morning breakfast for the past few years, and it was the signal that Pearl was finally home.

"Why-- You were gone way too long, Mom! A-And we were scared and it was dark 'cos there was a powercut for a few minutes a-and... and we made you cupcakes." Gabriel began in a hurry once bursting into the kitchen, his words only stopping after pressing in for a hug. "...I like pancakes. It's our favourite, right Cain? A-And you can have the cupcake, Mom. You can have cake for breakfast."

While Gabriel was able to eventually drift off to sleep, Cain's anxiety kept him up late into the night, Sure, he easily rested against Gabriel to calm his brother down, but the first minute past midnight, he began to quickly bite his nails to the point of bleed. Once he was sure his twin had fallen asleep, he began to pace through the house anxiously. He had finished Felix's homework, along with Gabriel, and even cleaned up the kitchen until it was spotless. When his mother came home, his eyes were red from crying and his hand was clutching the third cup of coffee he had within the two hours. When she stepped into the house, he immediately pulled his mother into a hug and immediately began to cry.

He knew his mother was tired, and probably didn't want to deal with his problems, so he didn't hold her too long. Instead, he did pull away and wiped the tears from his eyes before sniffling and quietly apologizing. Not long after, he was able to climb to his room and pass out properly, only to wake up from his brother's squealing downstairs. He immediately felt the pain from the punch in his stomach, and was reluctant to roll out of bed, but he knew it was inevitable. So, with bags under his eyes and his robe tightly wrapped around himself, he took a heavy seat at the dining-room table, only smiling at the smell of pancakes.

"... Good morning," he greeted to the two as he rested his head on his hand, his exhaustion far from subtle. "I'm glad you got home safe."

"...Do you want to stay off school today? I don't need to work, they've assigned one of the young examiners on the case to test them out, so I'll be here all day, and... and you look far too tired to go and learn things," said Pearl worriedly, pressing the back of her hand to her son's forehead to ensure he was just tired, and not getting sick. She knew well enough by now to know that when Cain stayed up too late, he tended to get pretty sick the following day. While she really couldn't have stopped him staying up, she did feel guilty about it-- but that was just part of having such a demanding job. As time consuming as it could be, the benefits of being able to feed her sons without killing someone outweighed the negatives.

"Sweetheart, I... you should have gotten some sleep," she continued softly, ushering both the twins to sit down while she continued to work on the pancakes in the pan. "Both of you look exhausted, and... and well, you don't have to go to school. We could go into town, do some shopping. Wouldn't you both like some new art supplies~?"

"...We can't. We have to go to school, we made cupcakes for some friends of ours." Gabriel began with a now emotional pout. On one hand, he really wanted to rush into school and hand Tyrone the specially made cupcake... but on the other, of course he wanted to go with his mother and his brother and spend some quality time with them.

"I have to give Felix his homework," Cain explained, his exhaustion overpowering his ability to lie. Cain pressed his forehead on the cool table, taking it in to counteract his sudden warmth, along with tugging off his robe to expose the clothes he had worn that night. He promised himself to take a shower in the morning before school, hoping it would wake him up a tad, but just as his mother often predicted, Cain almost immediately grew ill within the span of hours.

"I... I hit him really hard yesterday when we were coming back home from McDonald's. He was picking on us, a-and I just - I lashed out. I broke his nose, Mom. He... He'll probably tell everyone that I'm some monster if I don't give him his homework, y'know?" He murmured shamefully, fully expecting some scolding from the woman as he wiped his tearful eyes. "I didn't mean to hurt him that bad, I promise! I-I just... I panicked."

"...Is he the one bullying you both? I... of course, you probably shouldn't have broke his nose, but I don't blame you for defending yourself or your brother. Don't get teary, Cain! Goodness, I... what did he say about you, that's what I care about the most. You aren't going to school, I'm not allowing it. If that boy dares spread vicious rumours, I'll take it up with the principal and have him reprimanded. You're my baby, right? And I'm going to take care of you all of today. I'll make your favourite soup-- I have some kidneys in the fridge I managed to grab last night, so I'll make you some soup and use them as croutons or something," she laughed, reaching across the kitchen island to take his cheeks in her hands, just to comfort him before the tears overflowed. "That boy's nose will heal, and from what you're saying, he fully deserved a little punch. I don't want you getting violent, of course not, but... but I'll let it slide this time."

"I gotta go to school, Mom. I-I gotta give them the cupcakes, but... but Cain's sick, and I can't go without him, a-and... and I dunno what to do." Gabriel began suddenly, nervously eyeing his brother. He could tell straight away that the boy was sick, and that he probably ought to stay off school... though it only created more problems for the younger twin. "...I... If I go to school, I can give Felix the homework so he doesn't get mad at you, and... and I'll be fine! I'm 16, I-I can cope for a day without you."

"Y-You're not going alone!" Blurted Cain, though immediately held his stomach with the urge to vomit seconds later. "Gabe, you're going to get pummeled and I don't want you to get hurt... It's my job to make sure you're safe, and I wouldn't be doing that if you just went and got beat up. He'll put all of his anger on you, not on me, and I'm the one who deserves it."

Wiping his running nose on the sleeve of his sweater, he then locked eyes with the pancakes and reluctantly began to cut a slice, even if he wanted to just drink some juice and take a shower. He took a bite anyway, if only to make their mother happy.

Nervously glancing at his mother, Gabe did then shoot his brother, as subtly as he could, a glare. They had always promised one another that they would hide the physical violence from their bullies, and never tell their mother it went on, knowing just how badly she'd panic. And yet now, it was all in the open, with the woman predictably growing loud and panicked at the comments.

"What do you mean pummelled, Cain?! Do they-- Do those awful boys hurt you? O-Oh my... When? When did they hurt you? I-I can't believe you've never told me, I... I would never have sent you to that school if you were bullied, I'd have sorted out the situation and put you somewhere else," she frantically began, staring at the two in hopes they would at least explain... though she wasn't too surprised when Gabriel fell silent and began staring tearfully at his lap. "...Oh my god, b-boys, I... I'm going to the principal, this isn't continuing. Or I'll put you in a new school. It'll mean you can't walk to school then, I'd have to drive you, but... but I'll do that, of course I will. No way are you going back there--"

"B-But we like it there! I-I have a... a real good friend called Tyrone and he's nice and he likes me a-and Felix isn't that bad, h-he's just troubled. I-I don't wanna go anywhere else..."

Shooting a glare right back, Cain didn't hide his anger, though chose to remain silent. Instead, he grabbed his plate of pancakes and stormed to his room - though didn't slam the door. He knew that the loud noise would scare his brother and, while he was fuming, he wanted to at least be an okay brother. So, once up in his room, he went as far as to lock the door to be left alone and slumped into his bed.

It wasn't fair that his mother would just do whatever Gabriel wanted, just because he was overly sensitive. Maybe it was because of him being sick, but his patience was pretty fucking thin as he curled up under the blankets and took small nibbles of the pancake. It wasn't what he wanted, and he'd much rather have some proper, warm meat. Alas.

Pearl was smart enough to know she needed to let Cain simmer down before she went up to check on him-- though she could only last ten minutes before wandering up to the door and knocking lightly. She always knew that the older twin bottled things up to himself, in contrast to Gabriel who blurted almost everything off his chest. It did worry her that he was only going to let things build up and she would much rather he be open with her and talk through things, but if that wasn't who he was, she had to accept that. Similarly, she wanted Gabe to be less sensitive sometimes, but that was hardly likely to happen either.

"...Sweetheart? Open up, please? I... I have some of those kidneys right here on a plate for you. Raw. I... I heated them in the microwave, but they're not cooked, and... and your brother said you could have his share. Obviously I couldn't leave him go without, but you have a little more, considering you haven't eaten those pancakes," she began softly, biting on her lip at just how quiet it was inside the bedroom. "You don't have to talk, I can leave the food right here-- and I'll make that soup for us and we can snuggle up and watch that movie you like?"

There was a long moment of silence, one that reached nearly a minute, before Cain creaked the door open just enough to carefully grab the plate of food. It would be another half a minute before he would open the door up more for his mother, though intentionally avoided eye contact in embarrassment. Cutting off a small slice of the meat, he remained silent as he took a seat on his bed and tugged his knees to his chest.

"It's... It's just not fair, mama. I'm so tired, and... Gabe refuses to realize that they're hurting us. I don't want him to have to move if he likes it here, but I get beat up or teased every day. That's... It's not fair, right? Or am I being selfish? B-Because I don't want Gabe to be upset if we leave," he finally explained, his voice quiet as he set his chin on his knees and cut another small bite.

"You know what Gabe's like, he... he's too trusting and he's not quite as aware of the world. That's not a reason for you both to continue going to that school, of course. I'm not allowing you to go back there, so just you relax. I don't care if Gabe likes it there. This is one of those occasions where I need to put my foot down as your mother. I'll do anything for you boys, but I'm not letting you go to a school where you're bullied and hurt, no way. Gabe will get over it soon enough. I'll bribe him with some chocolate," she chuckled as she calmly wandered into the room and took a seat right besides the boy, running her fingers gently through his hair in her typically motherly, affectionate manner.

"...I'll go into your school and tell them that I'm pulling you boys out, I'm sure your principal will understand when I explain to him. I wish you'd have told me, Cain. I... I'm your mother. I feel like I've failed you. You've been getting hurt and I haven't noticed, and it makes me feel inadequate-- but it's not my fault, it's not your fault or Gabe's. It's those silly bullies' fault. You've done nothing wrong. You're sweet and funny and it's their loss they can't see that."

"They'll just be embarrassed and come after us. That's always what happens, ma. It's just - I'm just so frustrated. I'm supposed to be the one who has to shelter him from everything, but he just puts himself in dangerous situations then gets angry when I try and tell him that it isn't a good idea. I mean, I always look like the bad guy. I just - I have to make sure he stays away from dangerous stuff, but he refuses to do things that I like to do. I just want to do my classes, go to the library, and come home. People don't like us, ma. No one likes us, a-and that's just how it'll always be."

At that point, Cain was full-on crying, much like that night. "I just want him to be safe, a-and he won't listen to me, ever. I-I..." he continued, though stopped when he realized he began to sound .incoherent. He, instead, simply looked away as he wiped his nose on his sleeve once again. "I'm sorry. I just..."

Pearl often made sure never to cry in front of her sons. Her life was far from easy, and she frequently had her own breakdowns, but she made sure they took place at night when her sons were asleep. Seeing Cain tuck into a plate of raw kidneys she'd harvested from a few of the victims last night was hardly... settling for her, but she always managed to smile and act as if it didn't bother her.

Except, now, she broke that rule when Cain effectively broke down in front of her. Her own eyes glassed up with tears and she wasted no time in pulling him into a firm hug. Unlike her sons, she was mostly always liked wherever she went. Men wanted to date her, and women tended to want to be her friend just because of the male attention she garnered, figuring they could ride her coattails and get some attention themselves. What she did get criticised for was how close and dependent her sons were with her-- but she constantly shut them down whenever someone attempted to bring it up. She didn't care if her sons were 'unnaturally close' to her. She liked it that way, they liked it that way, so it was really nobody's business.

"...I like you. I know it isn't much, Cain, but I adore the person you are. I'm your mother, so maybe I'm biased, but I'd love to be your friend if I were in your class at school. You're so smart and just... my pride and joy. Gabriel too, of course. He's completely different but I'm just as proud of him-- I know he's... a little... difficult sometimes, but he doesn't mean anything by it. Maybe I ought to sit him down, have a word with him so he realises he's being selfish sometimes by not doing what you want to do."

"I know he doesn't mean it," he whispered into his mother's shoulder, while fully accepting the close embrace. It was rare to be able to hold his mother like this, without Gabriel shoving him out of the way for attention, so he took it in with a soft sniffle. "I know he can't help it, I just... I'm so tired, mom." He repeated, that seeming to be the only understandable think he could say to not only explain the situation but to say whatsoever amongst his babbling.

Pulling away from his mother eventually, he offered a smile to the woman, even if it was incredibly fake. Getting to his feet with a shaky breath, he exhaled hard and glanced over at her. "I think I'm going to take a shower and take a nap. Please... P-Please don't send Gabriel to school, he'll get beat up."

"I have no intention of letting him go to school, not at all. Not today, not tomorrow, not next week. What sort of mother would I be if I allowed you to go and get beaten up?" She pointed out, quietly reaching for the empty plate and managing not to cringe at the bloody remnants left dirtying it. She'd been at plenty of murder and crime scenes over the years, so blood wasn't too big of an issue for her... but it was different when there was blood left on a plate after her son ate some human kidneys.

"Wipe your face, go have a nice hot shower, and then come downstairs to watch some movies with me and Gabe. He adores you, you love him, you need to make up. I'll have a word and hopefully he'll apologise, if he understands that he's been a little selfish."

"Mom, you don't... You don't need to do that," he reassured, albeit weakly as he shyly fiddled with his sweater. "I don't want him to be upset at me, really. I know he will be, and I don't want that, so just... um... I dunno..." he murmured meekly to his mother, unable to really come up with something to say. After all. he wanted her to tell Gabriel off, but it just sounded so harsh - at least, the way he thought of it.

"He mentioned... dad... to Felix. It was hard not to full on blurt out the truth," he eventually admitted, wanting to change the subject. "You're going to tell him someday, right? I mean, he has to know, ma. It's not right for him to be in the dark forever." He insisted, albeit quietly in hopes to keep the topic down. For all he knew, Gabriel could have his ear pressed to the door.

There weren't many things that Pearl froze up at. Even when she had to literally cook up human flesh for her sons, she always managed to hold herself together and never once show discomfort in doing it for them - she often psyched herself up and convinced herself it wasn't human. Any mention of the cult or the twins' father, however, never failed to make her stiffen and grow uncomfortable, which usually showed itself in her pacing back and for in an effort to seem perfectly okay. Clearly, as she wandered to the window overlooking the back garden and began her pacing, she was far from being okay.

"He... I can't tell him, Cain. I... I told you because I needed to tell someone, I wanted you to understand why we move and why you have these cravings and... and you deserved to know. Gabriel deserves to know, I know that, but not now. Not now, darling. He'll react terribly. Don't you remember the incident with that poor boy's ear when you and Gabriel were younger? I don't want that repeated, so... so no, I can't tell him. What would I even say? He... He won't understand."

Stiffening himself from his mother's reaction, Cain awkwardly looked away as the other spoke and immediately cringed. He knew it was a sesitive topic, and he knew his mother would just make up some excuse. He remained quiet, though, and sank a tad into his bed. Eventually, though, he got to his feet and wandered towards the door with pursed lips.

"Please don't take us out of school, ma. This has been all my fault. I mean, I... I need to make Gabe toughen up, or something. He likes it here, and if that means dealing with being bullied, I don't want to take that away from him. He's... He's got enough problems, a-aha..."

"So I send you back and have you come home each day with bruises and bloody noses and emotional scarring? What... no, I'm not doing that, Cain! You'll withdraw into yourself more, Gabriel will end up breaking down-- and I'll hate myself for putting you in that situation. I like that school, I really do. They have superb results and good teachers, but... but I won't let you back there," she decided firmly, though the wariness in her voice did suggest she could be convinced otherwise. It was hard for her to say no to what her sons wanted, and while it was possible for her to say no to one of them, it was nigh-on impossible when both the boys complained.

"...Let me at least have a word with your principal. He can bring in the boy's parents and we can talk through it all, maybe he'll stop his bullying once he's confronted with the principal and the threat of suspension," she finally sighed, moving to quietly make his bed, as she always did. He was 16 and should be able to do it himself, but she didn't really want him to. She liked doing things for the twins, which really only enhanced their dependence on her-- but again, she rather liked feeling useful and being close to her sons like that. "What's he like, this bully? I suppose he's very insecure. You don't bully others just for the hell of it. He's probably jealous of you and your brother. You boys are so lovely and kind. You don't let him tear you down, okay? I'm going to sort this out."

"I mean, he's got some family issues..." Cain admitted quietly, his eyes avoiding hers. "I've heard that his parents aren't very good, not like you. They do drugs and drink and stuff, a-aha... I feel bad for him. I think he'd be a really good person if he had been raised better," he explained slowly, though his cheeks grew red nonetheless.

"That's no excuse. I can't keep having my brother threatened, ma. If I need to beat him up, I-I will." He declared as confidently as he could, though his soft voice affected that just a tad

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: potassiumboron