MAFIA

Basically, the consignglire is a detective that finds out the exact role of a person. So imagine an evil detective who can find out the exact role. @Elle Joyner

OH XD Haha gotcha. I mean.. I think it's fair -but maybe with limitations? Like they can only use it once or twice in the game? Just cause I feel like if they're using it every night, it's TOO great an advantage. I kinda feel the same about detective, tho - it seems like unless they get hit, they generally wind up with answers every single time.

Or maybe you make it like...detective can choose to investigate one person at a time - the first night they get like... a breadcrumb of info (maybe if the player has a role or not) ... the next time they investigate, they get a little more info - faction (town/neutral/maf). That way it's sort of more of an investigation idea than just straight up "Here's that person's role" ??? Could work the same for the maf detective.

Early on in the game, I noticed a couple of things in the mechanics/roles that may need some tweaking, which I jotted down to bring up once the game concluded. Said notes gradually grew and grew through the game, and this is the condensed version that's come out of that. I've included a TL;DR spoiler for anyone who doesn't have the time to wade through the whole thing XD

-The Executioner role needs to be updated to include: a) the fact that they cannot have the Mayor as a target, b) that they can win after they die, c) that they are not required to kill if they are lynched as the jester.

-There's currently no plan b for if a scum role goes inactive; my proposed solution is to clarify that even scum roles can fall to a vanilla townie.

-Role descriptions in general should probably include that role's win conditions for the sake of easy reference.

-The rule about discussing the game outside the day thread and in-game PM's should probably be presented differently, as it seems to be somewhat unclear and non-specific in it's current form.

-It's time to pick our next GM baby. Speak up now or forever hold your peace if you're interested!

-The only role suggestion I currently have in mind is a mafia member who would appear as town if investigated by the detective.

1) The Executioner role description should be updated to include that they cannot have the Mayor as their target. When I originally generated J's target, he got RJS; I got lucky with timezones and changed it before he ever read the message, but if I hadn't caught it in time, that would've been a mighty disaster.

2) There's currently no fall back for a member of the mafia going inactive. The first night phase it took @7.39 a bit longer than the others to reply, which got me wondering what the heck I would do if they went inactive. If everyone is fine with going the route of vanilla townies being allowed to change their alignment when a neutral/scum role goes inactive, I think that should be specified for the sake of transparency.

3) Role descriptions may benefit from having their win conditions included. As of right now, it's not currently stated anywhere that the Executioner can still win after they die, for example. Also speaking of the Executioner, that role should probably be updated to include that if they are lynched as the Jester, they are not required to kill.

4) Currently, my only role suggestion would be the addition of a Godfather to the mafia. They would show as town if investigated by the Detective, allowing the mafia something of an investigative safety net. But I spy Elle and Lucky tossing around other ideas that would tackle this just as well if not better XD

5) Lastly, and most importantly, this game moreso than any other there seemed to be a great deal of confusion over the 'do not discuss the game outside of the day thread & in-game PM's' rule. Personally, I feel that due to just how widespread of an issue this turned out to be there's no point in picking on certain people or specific instances. Ultimately I believe it's my fault, since if that many people were unclear on the sentiment behind the rule, clearly I should have presented it in a different manner. For that, I sincerely apologize to everyone who had to deal with me breathing down their neck about this. In future, it's something that needs to be taken into account so that we can avoid the headache on both sides - cuz lemme tell ya, the number of times I had to get on people's case wasn't even funny, and that's no fun for anybody :(

Also, before we get too far, we'll need to choose our next GM. If anyone is interested in taking on that position just say so, and I'll throw up a poll in much the same way we did last time.

I freakin' love the idea of Godfather. That is so sneaky and juicy and beautiful....

I don't see why you couldn't include that along with the idea of tweaking detective to involve more investigating, tbh. Sometimes, investigations IRL don't go to the detective's favor and this might be a neat way to include that idea -- Though I would say IF the idea of investigations being made more difficult is involved, it should be possible that if the detective chooses to continue to investigate the Godfather (despite them coming up town) they could potentially uncover the real role...

For instance... Say I'm detective and Dipper comes up town when I investigate him. But later down the line, Dipper starts to look REAL shady. I choose to reinvestigate... and find that my previous evidence was somehow tampered with. Thus showing that potentially, Dipper's role ISN'T town, at all...

If that makes sense???

OH XD Haha gotcha. I mean.. I think it's fair -but maybe with limitations? Like they can only use it once or twice in the game? Just cause I feel like if they're using it every night, it's TOO great an advantage. I kinda feel the same about detective, tho - it seems like unless they get hit, they generally wind up with answers every single time.

Or maybe you make it like...detective can choose to investigate one person at a time - the first night they get like... a breadcrumb of info (maybe if the player has a role or not) ... the next time they investigate, they get a little more info - faction (town/neutral/maf). That way it's sort of more of an investigation idea than just straight up "Here's that person's role" ??? Could work the same for the maf detective.

I freakin' love the idea of Godfather. That is so sneaky and juicy and beautiful....

I don't see why you couldn't include that along with the idea of tweaking detective to involve more investigating, tbh. Sometimes, investigations IRL don't go to the detective's favor and this might be a neat way to include that idea -- Though I would say IF the idea of investigations being made more difficult is involved, it should be possible that if the detective chooses to continue to investigate the Godfather (despite them coming up town) they could potentially uncover the real role...

For instance... Say I'm detective and Dipper comes up town when I investigate him. But later down the line, Dipper starts to look REAL shady. I choose to reinvestigate... and find that my previous evidence was somehow tampered with. Thus showing that potentially, Dipper's role ISN'T town, at all...

If that makes sense???
This may be how it works in real life, but it doesn't make any sense for a game like this. Yes, it's a little OP right now if the detective doesn't die. But this kind of thing would render the detective effectively useless in practice, and it is never the way it works in Mafia games.
In more complicated games like Town of Salem, there are ways to counter this, like a role that can turn up as town, or a role that can disguise themselves, and I think Godfather would be a decent way to counter that. But I don't think the breadcrumb idea would work in-game.

I dunno that useless is the right word for it? It would essentially just mean they didn't get instantaneous information, right? So instead of info right away, they'd have to investigate twice, is all. And the first time would still afford them SOME information - just not a straight up "This is who this person is". I'm just trying to propose something that's less OP, without cutting or altering roles altogether - cause while I don't agree that it should be exceedingly difficult for town, it does make sense to wanna make things a little more challenging (without dragging out the game 10000 more rounds).

I dunno that useless is the right word for it? It would essentially just mean they didn't get instantaneous information, right? So instead of info right away, they'd have to investigate twice, is all. And the first time would still afford them SOME information - just not a straight up "This is who this person is". I'm just trying to propose something that's less OP, without cutting or altering roles altogether - cause while I don't agree that it should be exceedingly difficult for town, it does make sense to wanna make things a little more challenging (without dragging out the game 10000 more rounds).
It would be fundamentally useless in game. We would have finished the game before the detective could find anything useful out. Games in the past have only lasted a few in-game days (the average, from what I recall, is four or five days). Judging by our track record in games without an active or living detective, I honestly do not see how the detective could hope to find anything of substance before we've lynched and moved on. Plus, we often have to lynch faster than the detective would be able to do anything--being in LYLO (lynch or lose) is quite common.

Also, I'd be willing to GM again.

Reactions: Starlighter
Leave detective alone.

That's all I have to contribute.

I know I shouldn't, but I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I wouldn't mind the Godfather or Consig ( or my suggestion earlier of transporter) to help give the mafia a little edge. Of course, Godfather might prove to be too OP, but I imagine if the dead start piecing things together, it might work in the favorite of town.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for GMing too. A bit new to it but I think I've got a handle on things.

I'd like to actually try to be a part of this one. Never got a notification and then I got busy and completely forgot to comeback and check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Starlighter
I wouldn't mind the Godfather or Consig ( or my suggestion earlier of transporter) to help give the mafia a little edge. Of course, Godfather might prove to be too OP, but I imagine if the dead start piecing things together, it might work in the favorite of town.

I agree that mafia needs some sort of power role. I suggested consig, personally, because there's really not an ability for anyone to counterclaim roles like detective. Everyone and their mother can claim vanilla townie, but there needs to be more mistrust in the process.

Perhaps we could substitute in godfather in for next game and maybe consig for consort? It would be a visiting role for the tracker/lookout duo to see without someone saying 'I've been roleblocked'

@Anguissette how did you feel about the consort role?

Also, if I may make a suggestion, I was a big fan of the Halloween games everyone having a role. As someone who plays a vanilla townie almost every time, it can come off as bland and is indeed the hardest role to prove and easiest to claim. Maybe give us something to do, all we can really do is swing votes ( even if our roles are minor in the grand scheme)

Also, if I may make a suggestion, I was a big fan of the Halloween games everyone having a role. As someone who plays a vanilla townie almost every time, it can come off as bland and is indeed the hardest role to prove and easiest to claim. Maybe give us something to do, all we can really do is swing votes ( even if our roles are minor in the grand scheme)
See, I can see both sides of it, but I think the vanilla townie is actually quite a useful role.

You're free to hunt mafia in the discussion as aggressively as you want, since you being killed by the mafia is preferable to a power role.

That hunting is also really good for town character reads - while you can't prove it you can demonstrate it. You don't have to fade into the background like town power roles would like to do.

Basically as a vanilla town you have nothing to lose and so can take a much more active role in steering discussion and pressuring people.

I kind of see Lucky's point tho. I feel like even just giving the townies more purpose would help make things less dull for them.

I kind of see Lucky's point tho. I feel like even just giving the townies more purpose would help make things less dull for them.
The townies have plenty of purpose...in most games I've played in the majority of mafia have been caught not because they got hit by a power role, but because someone watched their behaviour in the discussion, the voting patterns...and worked out they were mafia without any help of a power role.

It's always good to be careful of a mislynch, but that doesn't mean a power role has to confirm that every lynch target is mafia.

Yeah... But when you're in that role constantly I can see it getting dull fast...

Maybe we could just make it so repeat roles don't happen?

Yeah... But when you're in that role constantly I can see it getting dull fast... Maybe we could just make it so repeat roles don't happen?

I'm all for this. It also would make the game much more interesting. I think outside of my brief stint as survivor, vampire and Ret, I have been town for every one of the other games, that's four time in a row and then now an added fifth time. If we had some sort of check in place where the RNG doesn't make it so the same people are town, it would be better.

And the moment people work out a role rotation it becomes a real problem. I get that it is kinda frustrating to get the same role repeatedly, and if you wanted to run an all powers game a la Town of Salem I'd definitely be down...but the fact you've been unlucky with role allocations doesn't mean that the Villager role is an inherently bad role that needs fixing.

Reactions: The_J