MAFIA

And the moment people work out a role rotation it becomes a real problem. I get that it is kinda frustrating to get the same role repeatedly, and if you wanted to run an all powers game a la Town of Salem I'd definitely be down...but the fact you've been unlucky with role allocations doesn't mean that the Villager role is an inherently bad role that needs fixing.

Oh, it's by no stretch bad, but it gets boring after a while. I wouldn't say it should be a role rotation that should be down to a science, but maybe some adjustment. Here is an example: If doubles happen between two people ( Example from this game: Neo and I), maybe switch the role they have or something that it isn't so the same person gets the same role every time. But alas, RNG just hates me, so I doubt that will happen.

An alternative could be the miller- a person who turns up mafia to a detective but is actually town. - About the detective role being too powerful. (Up to the GM if they want the miller to know that they are a miller, or if it's hidden, (from knowing they are.) and if it will be revealed as such upon death or will be seen as a mafia upon lynched.)

As for the preventing of repeat role RNG, that defeats the purpose of RNG though.

Side note, I think the activity rules need to be fixed up a bit. In particular, the modblock thing. After all.... if you are inactive for the night phase too, then you aren't there to send in the action that would be modblocked... making it useless. (As if you send in the action during that night phase, you are thereby active and thus the modblock isn't activated) That's my perception anyways.

Reactions: Starlighter
Oh, it's by no stretch bad, but it gets boring after a while. I wouldn't say it should be a role rotation that should be down to a science, but maybe some adjustment. Here is an example: If doubles happen between two people ( Example from this game: Neo and I), maybe switch the role they have or something that it isn't so the same person gets the same role every time. But alas, RNG just hates me, so I doubt that will happen.
The problem with any kind of predictable system like that is that it invites metagaming...the moment you have a hard system like that people use knowledge of past games and lynch someone on the first day because even without doing any investigating they know that person is mafia.

Realistically, there's no need to put any sort of hard rule in to stop the situation of multiple repeats, because that actually prevents it from being fixed in a way that is not detrimental to the game itself. However, if the person running the next game decided to assign you a power role at random before randomly assigning the remaining roles then that could be done without informing anybody as it would be indistinguishable from RNG, though with multiple GMs it may be hard to keep track of. However, it's important in fact that even if this informal principle is applied it is done so in a way that is inconsistent, because if you have an unspoken rule of "Two games of Basic Townie and you get a power role" the mafia will start by hitting the person who had two townie games and is now no longer on their team.

It's hard to come up with ways to fix the consequences of RNG randomness without ruining the game that inherently relies on that RNG randomness...

• Love
Reactions: The_J and Joan
An alternative could be the miller- a person who turns up mafia to a detective but is actually town. - About the detective role being too powerful. (Up to the GM if they want the miller to know that they are a miller, or if it's hidden, (from knowing they are.) and if it will be revealed as such upon death or will be seen as a mafia upon lynched.)
I don't know if we want a role that's not only powerless, but also handicapped by the rules of the game. It would be the least fun to be that player.

Reactions: Joan
Had a random thought of a foil role for the Executioner/Jester.

The Lawyer | At role assignment, the lawyer is assigned one player, who essentially becomes their client regardless of their faction. If their client is accussed or targeted, their job is to advocate for that player, to prevent their lynching. If the lawyer's client survives the game, the lawyer wins. If the lawyers target is killed (provided it's via lynching - and not night kills), they become an automatic advocate for the Mafia (effectively, they could become Mafia as we had in the Halloween game with the vamps turning people).

The Lawyer | At role assignment, the lawyer is assigned one player, who essentially becomes their client regardless of their faction. If their client is accussed or targeted, their job is to advocate for that player, to prevent their lynching. If the lawyer's client survives the game, the lawyer wins. If the lawyers target is killed (provided it's via lynching - and not night kills), they become an automatic advocate for the Mafia (effectively, they could become Mafia as we had in the Halloween game with the vamps turning people).
Would the lawyer in that case learn who's mafia?

Huh, kinda reminds me of the Angel. I could see it working, although them turning into mafia could be problematic...if they're found out, they get insta-lynched, and it makes for a lot more double-guessing when we're at LYLO extremely often. Plus, "regardless of faction" concerns me. My main issue is that it would make an already confusing game that much more confusing. (though I am amused to imagine if the Lawyer's client was the Jester)

I like it, except for the turning to mafia part. I think they should turn into a neutral role, maybe a jester like the exe - since they're a foil to them.

Neutral works, too. Lol

I got a role suggestion and it's one of my favorite TOS roles.

Amnesiac- A neutral role that has no ability as they can't remember who they are. After a person is killed, the amnesiac can visit their graves and remember they are that role. This however only applies to roles that don't have night immunity. ( IE, no remembering they are jester/executioner, etc), The role they have chosen is revealed to the town and their goal is to allow their chosen faction to win. ( Also, yes, they can remember they are survivor.)

Reactions: Dipper
The other issue with the lawyer becoming mafia is that the mafia will try to snipe their target...I think switching them to jester or another neutral role is better

Yeah. Neutral would make it more option friendly

Just gonna drop my hat in for running the next game :3 I haven't been able to stay completely active in the town discussions and everything (mostly cause I forget what's going on lol), but I can keep up with running things. <3

I'm liking the Amnesiac and Lawyer roles. It'd be best if both were neutral and remained neutral, however, so kind of like the Survivor, they can help or hinder either side. It'll add a bit more chaos into the mix, and I'm all for chaos.

I dunno, sowing confusion is really only bad for the town, and I think they might be doing hard enough. While it partially might be because we lost our detective N1, that last round was a close call.

Also how many votes are required to lynch the game master

See... I dunno... Even dead, I didn't think the last round was all that hard at all - once you and Joan came out as the dynamic duo, people were pretty convinced. If anything J made it more difficult than Mafia did, and only cause he was so determined to go against Joan for a while there. I feel like... to keep things from getting stale it might be nice having some trickier things to navigate, and it makes it so town REALLY has to pool their resources and work together as a team.

I don't know if we want a role that's not only powerless, but also handicapped by the rules of the game. It would be the least fun to be that player.
Eh. Fair point. I can see where you're coming from.

Reactions: The_J
See... I dunno... Even dead, I didn't think the last round was all that hard at all - once you and Joan came out as the dynamic duo, people were pretty convinced. If anything J made it more difficult than Mafia did, and only cause he was so determined to go against Joan for a while there. I feel like... to keep things from getting stale it might be nice having some trickier things to navigate, and it makes it so town REALLY has to pool their resources and work together as a team.
You only think it was easy because you weren't playing <_< the only reason we got 7.39 was their inactivity, and the only reason we got Angui lynched was because I convinced the town we were in LYLO. J is scarily smart, enough so to put up a convincing enough argument to make the town at least hold off on lynching.

I was the Medium XD I was ABSOLUTELY still playing.