@Elle Joyner
@Kimberlyn
@Pf.D
@IntrusivePenDesperateSword
@Starlighter
@Shizuochan
@CloudyBlueDay
@Noggles

Hey all! You have all either expressed interest in becoming part of this next round of Mafia or participated in the last game. If you are still interested, please rate this post with a cookie so I can keep track of our players. This also goes for anybody I missed or any new or old players who have not expressed interest but wish to take part. Feel free to invite people, as well!

Please do not express interest if you are not sure you can keep up with the game, since we've had issues with people going inactive before. I will be doing another check around game start time to make sure everybody's still in.

I am also taking role suggestions! Per @Starlighter's suggestion, I am going to try to make sure everybody has a role this next game if I can (though we have a lot of potential players o___o). I am not, however, likely to repeat the Vampire role or any like it, because while that was plenty of fun (for me, muahahaha), it was also kind of a hassle, according to Star, and to me it did seem a little unbalanced. We'll see how things go and where player preferences are, though!
Holy butts, this is the most interest I've seen!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Joan
At this particular juncture, I don't have any specific role recommendations (although I will probably think of a few later :p) but I will mention a couple of other things that I recommend avoiding/changing.

-While obviously the Mafia will need a shared night chat, I highly, highly recommend that we avoid any other shared chats, or chats that involve removing/adding players repeatedly throughout the game, such as with a role like the Jailor.
-I don't think we should use a role that has the ability to bring back dead players. This caused me a great deal of headache as far as the dead chat was concerned.

As far as phase transitions go, I think it would be beneficial to have a way that we can move to the voting phase before the deadline. I'm not exactly sure how we could go about that, but I was wondering about something along the lines of moving on if there's been a full 24 hours where no one has replied to the thread, or having a way that players could request it be moved ahead. While this may just be my opinion, I think that the last game went on for way longer than it needed to, and to avoid having a single game go on and on for months at a time, I think something like this would be super helpful. On the flipside, however, there's always the possibility that not everyone would be able to keep up with a pace that's too fast.

I also think that it might be a good idea to do an overhaul of the rules and mechanics for the sake of clarity. In the last game there were several instances of confusion regarding rules that have changed/been altered as the game has progressed, particularly in regard to editing posts.
Also on that note, the fact that so many of us are Staff presents a slight accountability problem, as only the other Staffers can see if we cheat; ergo when it comes to Lucky, Cat, and Daz in the rotation, they won't be able to call us out.

I'm sorry.... that wasn't supposed to get so long :( Feel free to lemme know if I'm out to lunch on this, tho.

Also on that note, the fact that so many of us are Staff presents a slight accountability problem, as only the other Staffers can see if we cheat; ergo when it comes to Lucky, Cat, and Daz in the rotation, they won't be able to call us out.
Cheat in which sense? I remember staff being able to see edits, but you're not supposed to edit your posts anyway. I'm just trying to think of which staff powers could theoretically be abused.

Holy butts, this is the most interest I've seen!
It really is O___O Star recommended doing a split game if there end up being too many people, and I'm honestly considering that at the moment.

At this particular juncture, I don't have any specific role recommendations (although I will probably think of a few later :p) but I will mention a couple of other things that I recommend avoiding/changing.

-While obviously the Mafia will need a shared night chat, I highly, highly recommend that we avoid any other shared chats, or chats that involve removing/adding players repeatedly throughout the game, such as with a role like the Jailor.
-I don't think we should use a role that has the ability to bring back dead players. This caused me a great deal of headache as far as the dead chat was concerned.

As far as phase transitions go, I think it would be beneficial to have a way that we can move to the voting phase before the deadline. I'm not exactly sure how we could go about that, but I was wondering about something along the lines of moving on if there's been a full 24 hours where no one has replied to the thread, or having a way that players could request it be moved ahead. While this may just be my opinion, I think that the last game went on for way longer than it needed to, and to avoid having a single game go on and on for months at a time, I think something like this would be super helpful. On the flipside, however, there's always the possibility that not everyone would be able to keep up with a pace that's too fast.

I also think that it might be a good idea to do an overhaul of the rules and mechanics for the sake of clarity. In the last game there were several instances of confusion regarding rules that have changed/been altered as the game has progressed, particularly in regard to editing posts.

I'm sorry.... that wasn't supposed to get so long :( Feel free to lemme know if I'm out to lunch on this, tho.
All of this will be taken into consideration! I think those are some good thoughts o.o if it helps, I can try to be an accountability person in later games, or @Eru could help with that if he doesn't choose to participate? He's been my ranthuman for the past several games XD

Cheat in which sense? I remember staff being able to see edits, but you're not supposed to edit your posts anyway. I'm just trying to think of which staff powers could theoretically be abused.
Deleted posts and edits are no-nos, and any staff members can do silent edits, and only staff members are able to see what they've done. ._.

Reactions: Eru
It really is O___O Star recommended doing a split game if there end up being too many people, and I'm honestly considering that at the moment.
If it's under 20 people it should hopefully be able to work, at least looking at other forum mafia games. But I doubt everyone will end up joining anyway (sadly). But if everyone does, running two small games might be easier than one big one; you could even have one GM for each game.

Deleted posts and edits are no-nos, and any staff members can do silent edits, and only staff members are able to see what they've done. ._.
Ah, forgot about those silent edits.

I'm happy being up on accountability, as well. And I agree - no back-from-the-dead role. It was fun for the halloween game, but doesn't make sense now that we're returning to the old school version. I personally would like to see the use of regular non-role townies again, as this adds an element of difficulty to the game that can be kind of fun to work through, but I understand that can be a little boring for people who want a solid role.

And I totally agree on a refresh of the rules... Maybe adding one in about remaining action as much as possible? Part of what made the last game so difficult was that a good chunk of our players went MIA very early on, but remained alive throughout almost the entire game - RL absolutely happens, and is a priority, but I feel like if you join then you need to be available at the very least on the days when we vote/discuss.

I know having the roles where PMs and such get changed out and new folks get added in or removed can be kind of a pain, but I actually really liked this idea in the last game. Esp. the way Cat/Bat worked - cause it gave me an instant ally to work with, which was kind of a cool reversal of the 'mafia' idea... (you know... until Kim betrayed me and broke my heart ;_;). Maybe just don't have it where the role switches people in/out... Just a one time or permanent thing? Like... Jailer can pick one person, total... Cat/Bat style role (informants?) stick together unless one of them dies..

Maybe?

• Useful
All of this will be taken into consideration! I think those are some good thoughts o.o if it helps, I can try to be an accountability person in later games, or @Eru could help with that if he doesn't choose to participate? He's been my ranthuman for the past several games XD
FALLS IN WITH A CLATTER

I could try. :p
It may be that I don't have quite enough time to play a game yet, but I'd be willing to help keep the game on the up-and-up, if that's something that'd be acceptable. ^^

@Eru for Hall Monitor role then ^^

A refresh on the rules would be a wonderful idea.

I could search for it on the webs, but zero guarantee it would be the same version of the rules Iwaku plays.

@Joan I would want our good friend the Mayor back. That was a fun role to play with. If I also may make a suggest, double up on the detective in case we get an inactive one.. Also, executioner and jester will be fun to implement for some chaos into the game. Also, cap mafia at 3 or 4. Also, if I may, suggest my three favorite mafiaesque roles of all time. The survivor ( has 3 vests) only objective is to Survive the game. The amnesiac, a role that may remember a dead role ( town only) and may act as that role and make it to the end to win. Finally the best town role, the Veteran. Like the survivor, they have three moves or alerts. They are used at night and they kill anyone who visits their house. That last one is a true wild card because you may accidently kill a townie protecting yourself. Otherwise, I got no suggestions.

If the game abandonment becomes enough of a problem, should we have two forms of sign up? (one for initially in the game and one for those who will sub-in if someone goes inactive.)

If someone isn't active for X days, (or doesn't post enough during that timeframe.) they get a pm by the host of the game to post. if its during the night phase, then they reply to the pm, saying that they still intend to be active. If they don't post within a certain time, to not completely skew the game, the GM then contacts the first person on the sublist (or such) and asks them if they'd be able to fill in. Once the sub is found, then the GM posts an announcement that they have been replaced.(they should also have a limit of how many times this can happen too, before they get replaced.)

Example, lets say I went inactive, and Daz was on the replacement list and he was able to replace me.
The host would say something like "@Daz has subbed in for @Kiilgore"

if RL happens, then RL happens, and they can leave the game in piece (preferably with telling the host that they got too busy or something having happened and can't play anymore.) without having to worry about having ruined a game.

If the game abandonment becomes enough of a problem, should we have two forms of sign up? (one for initially in the game and one for those who will sub-in if someone goes inactive.)

If someone isn't active for X days, (or doesn't post enough during that timeframe.) they get a pm by the host of the game to post. if its during the night phase, then they reply to the pm, saying that they still intend to be active. If they don't post within a certain time, to not completely skew the game, the GM then contacts the first person on the sublist (or such) and asks them if they'd be able to fill in. Once the sub is found, then the GM posts an announcement that they have been replaced.(they should also have a limit of how many times this can happen too, before they get replaced.)

Example, lets say I went inactive, and Daz was on the replacement list and he was able to replace me.
The host would say something like "@Daz has subbed in for @Kiilgore"

if RL happens, then RL happens, and they can leave the game in piece (preferably with telling the host that they got too busy or something having happened and can't play anymore.) without having to worry about having ruined a game.
Sounds nice in concept, but I dunno how easily it'll be executed in theory, quite honestly. It adds another layer of management to what already promises to be a bit of a crazy game since we have a LOT of interest, and I'm not sure how many will want to be sub-ins, anyway?

Heccin alerts

Yes, I am ready. I agree that people coming back from the dead is kind of a bad mechanic thematically.

o.o

Hi yes I like my spying duo let's do that plz. The game was still plenty difficult for EJ and me, even when we were pretty sure we'd had people pegged...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Also, if I may make a suggestion, I think using Discord would actually be to our advantage here. New servers for each game, and the GM creates and deletes the servers.

It's much easier than using PMs. I think we should at least try it at some point, see if it works. I know there was some speculation about using discord a while back, but we opted against it at the time. I think it might be easier...*shrugs*

Completely understand if Discord is the chosen way to go here, though in that case I'll need to opt out.

Honestly I don't think Discord is the best way to run a game, in the interest of being a "hall monitor" especially. Too much potential for message editing/deletion, even in an optimistic view.