Lyle and Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyle chuckled happily as his face turned rosy pink. His voice came out as a low and bashful murmur. "Thank you, dear. I'm glad you think so." He watched happily as her eyes darted around the room and nodded, petting her hand gently. "It is beautiful. It brings joy to my heart to know you've finally been granted this, Kit." Realizing his own eyes had teared back up, he used his free hand to wipe his eyes and cheeks again. "Yes. Now your people have the ruler they deserve and can live their lives free and happy."

"Ah-" Lyle began to protest as Kit sat up, but she seemed to be in less pain this time and managed to stay upright. "So much to do... So much to do together." He looked into her eyes and smiled. He knew this time she could look back and see the happiness on his face. "Yes we are. I believe we are the most blessed family in the world." As long as they were together, he counted every moment a blessing. Now that the gods had restored her sight it was as if heaven itself had opened up its power and mercy to fill their lives full to bursting with joy.

Kit nodded slowly, the smile drifting from her face. Blood of both her and her fathers was splattered along the skirt she wore and her fingers reached to touch it. She was a murderer. Yet, the gods and goddesses still gave her back her sight. In the back of her mind, she wondered if her sister too would get her sight back. She wished silently that she could invite her to the wedding, but her sister ran away long ago after her father had done unspeakable things to her. Kit didn't even know if her sister was dead or alive. But either way, she didn't speak of her. She just touched at the blood quietly and looked up at Lyle. "We shall pray in the gardens tonight."

Kit pressed her hand against Lyle's cheek. "But... First we must go to the castle and slip through gates and give the people a speech. That'll be your first time during that... But I'll have to talk most of the time. I wonder if I'll be able to walk... Because I'm supposed to make a speech today. I don't want my people waiting from all over the islands at my gates all night. Especially not the children."

Lyle frowned slightly in sympathy as the smile left Kit's face. She had done only what she needed to defend herself and her people, but he knew how she detested bloodshed. That she had been restored her sight was proof at least that the gods did not see her act as a damning one. He hoped that, in time, he could convince her to see it that way if she did not already. Allowing a small smile back to his face in hopes of reassuring her, he tenderly caressed her arm. "Of course. I haven't thanked the gods enough yet for their kindness and mercy. I don't think I ever shall."

He brought his other hand up and placed it lightly over hers, taking a slow deep breath and nodding as he listened and felt her soft skin against his face. "Then we shall make our way there as soon as you wish. You may lean against me or I shall carry you, whatever help you need. I'm not overly worried of what to say. I feel as though recent events have been preparing me to ease into the role and responsibilities I will carry."

Kit glanced away with a small smile. "I am a bit heavy to carry all the way there. Maybe one of the guards can lend you a horse?" Her eyes were still focused on every detail of the wall. It was so much to take in. It was weird how wrong she had been visualizing things by touch, and it felt more familiar to touch rather than to be focused mainly on sight. She wondered how people relied so much solely on sight. She'd have to hire her teacher again to teach her colors and other sight-type terminology before she traveled again to look logical and smart in front of other country-holders. "Of course you will eventually have your only horse. I cannot wait to see my horse Azalea... Or my room. Or... Everything..."

Kit leaned into Lyle. "Let's go see our people, yes? Let's give them peace of mind." Lucy stepped through the door with the tin the nurse had been holding earlier, she wore her maids outfit and was looking quite distraught. Kit's eyes met Lucy's and Kit smiled wide, so wide it stretched her cheeks and almost hurt. "You look older than I imagined." She said, almost rudely, a bit of a childish tone in her voice, Lucy's eyebrows knit together being confused. "Ah?" She said, not really giving that much of a response.

Lyle blushed and looked down at his lap for a moment, rubbing the tip of his nose with his index finger. "Ah, well I suppose I don't know where the castle is or how far it is. It can't hurt to ask for help." He looked back up and smiled as he watched Kit look around the room taking in the sight of every little detail. Every place she'd ever been, it would now be like she could experience it again for the first time. The various islands and their charming atmosphere would be theirs to newly enjoy together. That thought made his smile widen and he looked back up at Kit, watching her intensely and thoroughly putting her new sense to use like a new toy.

Lyle leaned in and gave her a quick and light kiss. "Yes, my love." Just then Lucy entered looking rather worse for wear. He gave her a sympathetic look, but then had to stifle a chuckle as Kit flaunted her newfound sight to the befuddled maid. Looking back at Kit, he smirked playfully. He turned back and gestured with one hand to his eyes. "She said you look older than she imagined." Sitting beside Kit and looking slowly back and forth between them, he waited for it to dawn on Lucy.

At his definition Lucy looked even more confused, "Look? As in see? I'm sorry but that is a pretty morbid joke to say if your referring to the fact your well... Uhm.... Blind. Mistress." Lucy said trying to put it lightly. No one normally used that exact word in politeness, people turned a blind eye to differences here and pretended not to acknowledge them out of politeness. "Ah, but I am not." Kit corrected with a smile, Lucy flipped her eyes between Lyle and Kit. "A joke?" Kit shook her head no as Lucy began to speak again "Then what color is my outfit, Mistress?" Kit laughed "I dunno. I don't remember the differences between colors. I just know I like the word violet and white. They come off the tongue interestingly which is why I told you to decorate my room in these colors. But your hair is thin and in a bun and has two different..." Kit made a face, "I think this is color, the... Different..." Realization came over Lucy's face as Kit pointed to her hair and tried to pull the streaks of her hair mimicking the streaks in Lucy's. She tried to word it correctly and shook her head, "I can see after I killed him." She tried to explain better, with a sigh when she realized she couldn't explain it. Her eyes still on her own hair as she played with the little bit of bangs she had.

Lucy kind of just stood there a moment speechless, not sure what to say. "Wonderful Mistress." She said, although worry was in her aged features. Lucy didn't want to lose her job. She specialized in teaching deaf and blind children, and even though Kit was no longer a child, she had hoped to keep this job until death because it would feed her children well. Still playing with her white hair Kit looked up at Lucy, "We need a horse. We need to do the speech." Immediately Lucy snapped back to reality. "Yes, yes. That's why I came, actually. Although you are injured. The nurse says you can go but if your in any pain you should come back. In two or three days the water woman will come and she can come and give your would a proper healing too. But until then this will keep your insides... Inside of you." Lucy turned through the doorway and looked at someone who must be farther down. "We have two horses, you two can take one. I shall take the other with Jack after dropping her off at her ship... And Mister Kai's servant is dead, so after the speech, Lyle you'll pick a servant."

Lyle snickered as the exchange between Kit and Lucy played out. Although Kit wasn't trying to pull a prank on Lucy, it seemed her... playful nature had earned her a little skepticism which only made the display more humorous. He decided to sit back and let Kit have her fun with it. After what she'd been through, she absolutely deserved to have some fun. Ah. There it is. The realization finally came when Kit described Lucy's hair and made a comparison to her own. She started to fiddle with her bangs as Lucy stood stunned. He took her hand again and kissed it, smiling happily.

Lucy gave a reply of someone who shared in a friend's happiness, but there was something else subtly hidden on her face. Lyle furrowed his brow and his face scrunched up ever so slightly as he was struck with curiosity as to what could have been on her mind. He snapped back, as Lucy, at Kit's next words. He nodded and turned to Kit. "Well there it is. We have a horse to take whenever you're prepared to go. We'll just need to be careful and take this slow and easy." Looking over to Lucy. "Thank you Lucy. You have been a tremendous help." He glanced between the two and let out a sharp breath as he decided he couldn't simply leave whatever was bothering Lucy to be addressed later. She was one of the people he and Kit sought to help. "Something is bothering you. Please tell us."

Kit glanced at Lyle a little surprised, surprised that he had noticed anything wrong. As Kit had noticed it, but Kit knew that later tonight Lucy would be combing her wet hair after a bath and during that time would be a place to talk. Lyle though barely knew the girl, and already had an inclination that something was wrong. He had good people reading skills. Lucy seemed to share in Kit's surprise. "It's fine. Nothing is wrong." Lucy said immediately with a smile. "Thank you for thinking of me though." She nodded, looking back down the hall. "And I have your ointment which shall be put on every Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I'll make sure yo-" As Lucy was speaking, Kit sat up straighter. In doing so her side gave and ache that made her face wince slightly. In any case, Kit ignored it and cut her off. "No Lucy, tell us what's wrong."

Lucy looked from Kit to Lyle flicking her light eyes between one another before slowly starting. "Yes well..." She straightened out her skirt and tilted her head. "You see now that your no longer... Disabled..." She began, looking at the floor instead of Kit. "Well... I am afraid that maybe you will not need my services, and you know... My children and..." She struggled with how to say the correct words without sounding impolite or needy to the royal couple. As Lucy was born a peasant. Kit knew though and shook her head, "No, Lucy. You'll be needed. If not for helping pick out fabulous clothes and running my errands, for teaching our children while they are growing up." She said in a soft tone, looking at Lucy with warm eyes. Kit knew, she knew. And Lucy nodded giving her symbol with a bow, the tips of her fingers against each other, softly gripping. "Thank you." Kit nodded with a smile, returning the sign before looking at Lyle. "Ah, our horse awaits us. How should I get up?" Her eyes flicked to Lucy for a bit of help, but she was turned away.

Lyle began to speak when Kit sat up straighter and winced in pain. He grimaced himself slightly at the thought of her pain, but couldn't protest before she questioned Lucy further. Lyle simply gave a calm and caring smile as Lucy looked back and forth between himself and Kit. Hmmm. I would never have thought of it that way. He was relieved that the matter was something so simple. Lucy was like family, that much he could tell just from the two days he'd been around her and Kit. Kit stated as much herself as she told Lucy of their future need for someone to teach their... His heart skipped a beat and then soared. Children. The thought had occurred to him before, but to hear her say it was music to his ears. He wanted to climb to the top of the tallest tower of her castle and shout to all the islands that they loved each other with all their hearts.

He snapped out of his daydream and saw Lucy and Kit giving the hand gesture Kit had taught him the night before. He smiled and returned the gesture. Turning to Kit, he thought of how best to help her out of the bed. "Ah, right. Ummm..." He stood and hunched over slightly. "Put your arm around my shoulders... and... just turn slowly towards the edge of the bed." He reached one arm under her knees to give her support and help her turn without causing herself any more pain. "Just lean on me and turn, and then use me to pull yourself up." He put one arm out until he felt his hand touch against the wall and wrapped his other arm behind and under her other arm.

"Oh, ah... Alright." Kit made a face, not because she was in pain but because she was anticipating the pain. Wrapping her arm around his shoulders she leaned to the side and turned. The action was awkward and the stretching slightly tugged the skin tight which made her injury ache slightly. It was nothing she couldn't handle though. Kit pulled herself up with ease, and to her surprise she felt not much pain at all while standing. I suppose after all it's only in my side. She thought quietly. "I think, I think I got it." Kit looked down at her exposed stomach with a sigh, "Well I'm not dressed that well either but I'll suppose it'll have to do for now huh?"

Touching her stitches she winced and let her hand down. It was only stretching and folding of the skin that hurt, so walking would come easily. It might be even easier to walk than to take a horse with all that bumping and bustling. Kit put her hand to her mouth and yawned, it had been an exhausting day. And still it was, she would sleep well tonight she knew. Kit dropped her arm from his shoulders and grabbed his hand, though she couldn't walk in big steps she never did anyway because of her exdisability. She took small graceful steps to Lucy, who began to walk down the hall to do whatever needed to be done. Kit really wasn't sure totally about what was going on.

Lyle helped Kit to her feet, watching her with concern. She seems to be doing a lot better when she's standing. He thought. I should still keep an eye out just in case. "Let's take it slow anyway, just to be safe." He let out a slight chuckle and glanced down at his pajamas. "I don't think much of anything is going as it normally would, but we've made the best of it." Letting his arm down, he let her take his hand and smiled. They just needed to get to the castle. Once they did, she would address her people and he would speak his greeting as one of them. Then they could retire to bed and get some much needed rest.

He walked beside her step by step, feeling relieved to see how she had little trouble walking and was taking small steps as she always had. Despite her injury, her movements were astonishingly fluid. When they reached the doorway and Lucy turned to walk down the hall, an idea came to him. He looked over at Kit. "Perhaps we could ask one of the doctors if they have a coat they could spare? Just a thought." It was likely a bit colder now outside than it had been in the morning when they arrived, and the thought of her having to give a speech in such conditions wearing nothing more than a cut-up shirt and a skirt worried him.

Kit smiled, walking along. It was weird to see where she was actually going. "Well, I can get dressed when we make it to the castle. This little place isn't too far off from my castle anyway. It's really not a big deal. I'll throw on a simple silk dress and you can find some..." She looked him over, "Non pajama type clothes, yes?" Lucy was walking much faster than normal, making motions to a man at the end of the hall. Kit wasn't too worried about it, instead she looked at the floor as she walked with interest, as it was odd to see how close up the floor was. Everything was so colorful and geometric and weird, it was almost a bit of overload for Kit's brain. Lucy was holding the door for the couple when they got to the entry way, a smile on her face.

Outside was a carriage, surprising Kit. "I thought they brought a horse?" She asked Lucy, and Lucy shrugged, "Apparently the people were questioning, and the crowds are so thick outside the gates they wished you to be in a carriage for safety reasons. In case your father's allies or someone with general dislike for you had a weapon of some sort. Although there are agents in the crowd and nothing seems to be unsafe, you can never be too prepared..." Kit nodded silently, these types of things were always hassles. A dark man Kit recognized from the servants quarters opened the doors. Kit nodded, as the man was deaf and wouldn't hear her words as she popped into the back seat. As she did she saw Jack at the edge of the sidewalk, smoking a cigar and giving Lucy sideways glances. Jack didn't like land, her mistress was the sea, and Kit knew this well.

Lyle held her hand tightly as they walked. "Oh, very well. I didn't realize the castle was close by. I was worried it might have been a bit of a ways off." He chuckled as she commented on his pajamas. "Ah, but they're so comfortable you see." Flashing a playful grin he stuck his tongue out at her slightly. When she turned her eyes back to the floor, Lyle simply watched her taking in the shape and color of the tiles. As they reached the door he spotted the carriage waiting for them. It made more sense than either walking or taking a horse, but the bumping and jostling was still a concern. The carriage had been brought out because people were worried for Kit's well being though, so he reassured himself that the driver was most likely aware to take it easy on the way there.

He stepped along the sidewalk and helped Kit into the carriage gingerly. Turning to the deaf servant from before, he smiled and gave him the gesture of fingertips pressed together. With that, he climbed into the carriage and let out a sigh. "It's certainly been quite a day, hasn't it dear? I will be glad for a soft, warm bed but I'm also excited for the chance to speak to our people for the first time." That would be the time. If he could make a good impression on them, and he was certain he could, they would come to view him as one of their own. He had already taken some time to think about what to say and he was confident that he had seen and heard enough during his short time here to understand what his new countrymen held dear.

Kit nodded, "Yeah, I shall sleep soundly tonight. That is sure. I want to speak to my people though, I can feel their distress." A neigh outside the window and a creak gave signalled their going as the cart pulled out and began down the dirt roads. The stone paths were solely for walking only. Not that you'd want your carriage on cobblestone and brick anyway. The bumps would be less than pleasant. The horses were fairly slow as they went and it wasn't long until they saw people outside their window. Thousands of people, women, children, men, all standing hand in hand with their families as to not be separated. They all relatively shared a common look, pale eyes and dark hair and deeper skin. Most were quite short. You could tell the farmers from the business men because of their skin color, as the longer you were in the sun the tanner you became.

Dress though you could not tell by, even the people in finances and business were wearing shorts and teeshirts. The weather was too warm for other things except at night, which is usaully when the people dressed up. The people stepped back and made a path to the gates, but it would take awhile. There was so many people crowding the streets that you couldn't even see the gates. But as they trotted on, eventually they came into view. As they made there way forward, no one spoke, a deafening silence filled the air. Although children tried to stand on their tippy toes to see through the window, the curtain hung in a way over the window so that Kit would not be seen. She leaned back and pressed her hand against her injury as the gates opened.

"Of course," Lyle agreed, "The events of today had effects that reach far beyond our own lives. The people need to hear that the stability of their lives will be secure, and I believe your words will instill them with great hope and encouragement." As the carriage began to move, he gave her hand a gentle squeeze and smiled. The horses were moving along the path at a nice gradual pace and he felt relieved that the ride would be as painless as possible for Kit. Soon after they'd set out, they found themselves surrounded by the crowd of people waiting to hear from their princess and future queen. Their manner of dress was almost uniformly casual in style. This didn't surprise so much as intrigue Lyle. While his older siblings had often been required to wear more formal attire during the day, he had been able to dress as he chose and enjoyed the comfort of simpler clothes.

They continued on closer to the gates and Lyle leaned over, delicately placing his head on her shoulder. He felt concern as she put a hand over her wound. "How are you holding up?" This was normally much too soon after having such a procedure to be moving around, but this was important to Kit. He couldn't tell her not to do it, but when it was done he would certainly urge her to take time to rest and recover.

"I'm fine." Kit nodded, her face a bit pale and sickly looking. She hadn't lost too much blood, and as for internal bleeding... Well you couldn't really tell, Hylei wasn't exactly known for it's medicinal workings. The water woman though was, but the water woman, a kind girl who healed with 'magic' wasn't Hyleian anyway, she was elven from a different country. She was very tall and pale, like Kit with white hair, and if the doctors did at least a fix-er-up good enough job, then the majority of it could be fixed by the water woman. The cart bumbled along right past the gates, and with the guards peek inside they were all set to go in. "I forgot, you've never been to my home. Welcome." Kit nodded, too tired to really give any other kind of warm welcome. "Our home." She corrected herself quickly, her heartbeat quickening in her chest.

The door was opened by the deaf man, upon seeing Lyle he quickly made the sign of the people back to him and bowed. Since they had been here, no one had really been doing it much which was interesting. Probably because they knew something was up. A guard was holding a large black sheet between the gates and the cart, so the people could not see those getting out of the carriage. Although extreme, Kit was used to it. But, she was not used to her home's appearance. "Wow..." She whispered, looking up into the sky. "I knew it was big but... Wow." It was pretty decent of a castle, although dark with vines and fog twirling up it's stone, it was creepily beautiful in a mysterious way.

Lyle looked even more concerned as he noticed Kit looked subtly worse for wear. "Don't push yourself too hard, dear. You really don't look like you're doing so fine..." His voice trailed off to a soft murmur. Turning his eyes toward the roof of the carriage, Lyle beseeched the gods to help her. I thank you for sparing her. Now please help her through these challenges to her recovery. When they passed the gates he gave a small smile and a nod. "Thank you." He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "It's good to be home." Our home. The thought was another thing that drove home the real and imminent nature of their marriage. All they had to do now was speak to their people and give them hope for a better future. Then she could have some much needed and well deserved rest.

As the door opened, Lyle smiled and returned the gesture. He thought for a second that he'd read about hand signals for communicating with deaf or mute people. Even learning just the signal for hello and the man's name would be a kind gesture, and he made a mental note to look into those things later. Turning to Kit, he slowly and gently helped her out of the carriage and onto the path. They both turned to look at the towering castle before them, covered in twisting vines and dark fog. It had an eerie quality to it, as if the mind of the man who had lived there was reflected in its stone walls. "It is quite impressive, isn't it?" He thought out loud under his breath. Shaking himself back into the present, he turned to Kit with a smile. "Shall we?"

"Yes, yes." Her first step forward was a bit of a stumble and she winced slightly at the skin folding in on her stitches. She looked away from Lyle on purpose, she didn't want to scare him or anything. "Ah." She sighed, "Sorry, alright. Let's get in, get some decent clothing on and head out to the balcony." her eyes turned away from the top of the castle and down to the doors that were opened wide for her. The horses slammed their large hooves on the ground, much bigger than both Lyle and Kit put together. Holding Lyles hand she walked through the doors and into the large hallway. The decorations had a theme of purple and gold, and Kit's eyes flitted from the shiny floors to the beautiful carpet that went up the deep wooden stairs. At the end of the stairs was the room, wide open, when Kit had slain her father. As she walked carefully forward, she peeked into the office.

It was spotless, clean as clean could get. No blood was left on the floor, although the chair her father normally sat in was gone, and so was the rug in front of it. The only thing on the ground was a stubbed out cigar, a shot of whisky still lonely and sitting on the side table of where the chair was supposed to be. Swallowing, Kit took it all in. She really enjoyed the site of the fire, flickering too and fro, she was almost hypnotized by it. But soon she remembered her duties as princess and shook her head. "My room is further up the stairs." She stated, nodding upwards. "I'm sure that's where our bags will be and such. Just then Lucy came through the door with a smile, eyes straight at them. "Ah, Lyle, I'll show you to your room while Kit finds hers." Lucy stated, and Kit gave a confused expression. The look in Lucy's face was almost stern and motherly, so Kit shrugged. "Alright." She said, struggling to walk up the steps without stretching out the skin around her injury.

Lyle stayed beside Kit for support, and wrapped his arm around her as she winced. "Yeah." He walked with her past the large horses and the giant open castle doors. Once they were inside he lowered his arm and took hold of her hand, looking around the room in awe for a moment before turning to watch Kit take in everything for the first time as well. The fascination in her eyes managed to get through his concern and put a smile on his face. They reached the next floor and passed by an open doorway. At first Lyle couldn't tell the room had any significance. It'd been cleaned up well and there was no overt trace of what had taken place, but something seemed off in the back of his mind. There was a small side table out in the middle of the floor by itself, a partially full glass still sitting on it. This must be where it happened. He thought with a shiver.

He nodded as she looked upstairs and reminded him of what needed to be done. "O-" No sooner had he opened his mouth than Lucy came around the corner with a smile. As she spoke, Kit walked off towards the stairs. Lyle's head turned and caught her struggling. "Ah..." He briskly walked over to her, looking back at Lucy. "I'd like to..." Putting his arm behind Kit, he gently helped her up the stairs, "at least make sure she gets to her room alright, if it's not too much trouble. My clothes are quick to change in and out of."

Lucy nodded with a warm smile, "Actually, Master Lyle, all of the rooms are up those steps. Downstairs is only the living areas, kitchens and such. The third and forth level are libraries, hide aways, and such, I'm sure I'll be able to go through all of this with you later, as well as the servants. If not me then whoever you choose as your right hand man. Don't be afraid to ask for fights to the death or contests to pick your man. You can also question. We shall go through everything later, I figured I'd give you time to settle in tonight. The chef will also be making a welcoming meal tonight." Kit's eyes alighted with Lucy's words, a smile going across her face. "Welcoming meal~ Om om~" It was a weird noise, but many children in the country made it for the sound of yummy food.

Walking up the tall stairs, Kit leaned on Lyle heavily. She was a curvy girl, and although aware that she was rather heavy she didn't think too much of it. Being blind had it's perks when you didn't really get too focused on looks and such, now though it was possible to eventually effect her. It eventually effected everyone. "If I am too heavy tell me." Kit said softly, her nose wrinkled up in displeasure. Lucy followed carefully behind, watching to make sure Lyle didn't drop her. She was the princess after all, and if Lyle turned out to be a bad man, he had her papers to own the kingdom. So it was possible for him to take over without her. Which is another reason security was tight. But Kit trusted her man, and trusted the gods to protect her, she didn't have much of a worry at all. When they made it to the top of the stairs Kit huffed, displeased. "I hate stairs." She muttered under her breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.