Lyle and Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyle saw her face burn red, the deep breath, and caught the subtle touch of disappointment in her voice as the conversation turned back to business. That was all the affirmation he needed. He hadn't wanted to be presumptuous or force himself on Kit in any way - after all different cultures had different rules about what was appropriate before marriage - but he knew now she had wanted him to kiss her. As soon as another opportunity presented itself, she would feel his lips against her own. He nodded to Lucy. "Very well. I shall keep Kai's servant if he is a man of good character. No need to deprive someone of their job without cause."

After a while, the thumping of hooves against dirt gave way to clacking against some form of brick or stone. Shortly thereafter the carriage came to a halt and the door opened, sending a light breeze of warm sea air into the cabin. He took a deep breath through his nose, but grimaced as he looked out and saw sand everywhere. Ever since he was a young boy, his older brothers had made a game on their family visits to their home on the shore. The game was simple, get as much sand into Lyle's hair and other uncomfortable places as possible. It was the only downside to being the youngest brother. He stepped out of the carriage and followed Kit and Lucy to the ship.

Lyle smiled and waved to the kindly looking man who came for the bags in an effort to relieve some of the embarrassment of waving to a blind girl. He looked across the dock at the ship which awaited them. It was an impressive vessel, to be sure. It looked even nicer than the one his family would take on their vacations at sea, but that was to be expected. The Strudwicks were rulers of a rural duchy, whereas Kit was a princess. The thought occurred to him that once he boarded the ship it was likely that the entire crew would be citizens of Hylei. He would be immersed in a culture he had only had small glimpses of from that point on. Walking along the pier, he followed Lucy and Kit aboard the ship.

He started to nod to Lucy, but stopped and turned his head when Kit interjected that she would show him around. The idea of the two of them walking together through the ship and having some time to themselves finally brought a smile to his face. He gave Lucy a thankful nod before she departed up the ramp. Once she'd gone, he turned to Kit and took her hands in his. "Well darling, where shall we go first?"

Kit stepped up onto the wooden ship, and gripped Lyle's hands tightly. "Ah, we shall pay our respects to the captain first. Then I shall show you to the eating area. I barely had anything to eat yet, we'll pass the game room on the way, then I'll bring you up to my bedroom!" Kit's milky eyes were pools of blue excitement as she began to ramble, letting go of one of his hands and pulling him along. She knew every step of this ship, she often ran away from home on it with her friends. "The captain, Jack, is a real pirate from Hylei. Robbed my father blind twice! I met them on one of the trips and they threatened me, but instead I simply gave them my fathers crown. Then I hired them to take me places, I pay them well so they don't have to rob anymore. Plus I gave them beautiful Grace here." She claimed, rubbing the dark polished wood of the railing with the side of her fist she was holding the white cloth umbrella in.

Two men were cleaning the floor, one buff and short, and another scrawny and tall. They were both dark skinned, with light wide eyes and head full of hair. Kit already knew where they'd be as she trampled up the stairs. "God bless you, Gus and Guz." The names sounded both the same, but the boys were just about the opposite. Both gave a shout and wave in response, yet Kit never turned around. She was up at the front of the ship, the wooden round wheel being steered by a woman with long red hair and sharp black nails. No patch was over her eye, although she had one eye sewn up vertically as if she had been in a knife fight. Cloth of all kinds wrapped her body in every which way and golden hoops danged from her ears. She gave a mighty "Hello" as Kit came up and laughed "Hello, Hello. This is Lyle, he's my fiancee." She immediately said, moving her hand and pointing to him. "He will be my husband and go on adventures with me and you."

Jack laughed, eyes on the sea, "Well my mistress, I'd like to be formal and all but we're about to set sail. So sweetie why don't you get yourself put away for the night and I'll come later to give your Sir a proper talking to, eh?" Kit nodded and laughed, "You best be nice!" She claimed, turning around "Chef's in right? I'm starving." Jack nodded, turning her head, "Aye. He is." She said, before giving an order to the man on the lookout way above. The sun beat down heavily. Kit shrugged, looked at Lyle and murmured a "maybe later" while she pulled him back down the stairs to find her way to the kitchen. She lifted the hatch and walked down the steps, which turned into a hallway. "Directly across the hallway is the gameroom." She said, knocking on the wooden door with a silver handle. To the far right is our room, the far left the kitchen. It's pretty easy." Kit chimed with a smile.

Lyle was content to let Kit ramble on excitedly and simply listen to her. He started to blush as she mentioned taking him to her bedroom but was snapped back out of it when she took off with him in tow. It amazed him how effortlessly she navigated the halls of the ship. At the hotel she had Lucy to guide her, but here she ran along as if her sight had suddenly returned. It must be a home away from home for her, he thought. What was that about the captain? A pirate? She'd turned an entire pirate crew away from robbery and hired them on for her own ship? As he tried to keep running along at Kit's pace, he felt in awe. She was obviously favored by the gods and he believed there must have been nothing she could not do. He was sure that anyone who felt women to be inferior to men in any way could be convinced otherwise if they only met his wife to be.

They continued to barrel along up the stairs and passed by two men cleaning the floors. Kit greeted them and Lyle attempted to wave with a surprised expression on his face as they charged past. All of a sudden they were at the helm. The captain wasn't what he'd expected for someone named Jack, but she seemed a pleasant enough person. Her dress style was eccentric, that was for certain. He noticed her eye but his gaze hardly lingered there at all. He smiled and waved as she greeted them and allowed Kit to introduce him. "Pleasure to meet you, captain." Going on seafaring adventures sounded like a positively thrilling idea. Setting out and sailing with nothing but the sea as far out as the horizon, the warm salty air never more than a short walk to the deck away, not to mention all of the places to go.

Lyle chuckled awkwardly. The way she said that for some reason made him think of an older sister preparing to give her younger sibling's new boyfriend a stern talking to. He smiled again as the conversation drifted onto a new topic, and when Kit mentioned food he realized just how hungry he'd gotten on the carriage ride over. He gave her a simple "mhmm" in reply and followed her lead down to the kitchen. "Ok. Sounds easy enough to remember." He waited as she knocked on the door. "So what do they usually have on board for food?"

The door opened wide as Kit turned her eyes turned Lyle, looking at his mouth, where the question was coming from. "Gambling food!" She stated with a smile, "And cupcakes. I make him make me really girly cupcakes because he's a buff chef. He's from the fishing district and was a fisherman before he became a pirate. So at first he thought he was too good to make me cupcakes. I'm blind and I beat him at poker with Braille cards. That's how I got my way." She said, a man who was chuckling to himself stood in the doorway. He was 6'5" and pale like the captain, his eyes pale and his head bald. He wore a bandana wrapped around his head, and he had a thick mustache on his upperlip. "You always tell the worst of stories about me, little girl." His voice was low and gruff, "Lucy already informed me ahead of time, so I made your little girly tea sandwiches and cupcakes." He teased, stepping to the side to let Kit and Lyle in. Kit shook her head, walking exactly four steps to the large table and chairs. Which were glued to the floor after a couple of accidents. "It's gambling food."

Kit corrected, shaking her head and sitting in front of the three trays that were always placed in the exact same way. "You can eat it without your hands getting dirty and hold cards, roll dice, or collect all of Chef's chips." She added with a teasing laugh. One tray held four cupcakes, they didn't look fancy really, but they didn't have to if you were blind. The taste is what mattered, not the presentation to Kit. On the tray in the middle was a pile of thick sandwhiches with a dark cooked meat and melted cheese and herbs. The other plate was completely vegetarian and filled with a strange looking pale violet fibrous patty, green leafs, what seemed like orange petals, and slices of thin green cucumber to top it off. The violet patty like veggie was cooked. Two plates sat at opposite ends of the table, two cups with a pitcher of some kind of yellow-green juice. In truth it didn't look too appetizing, most of it. Kit ate strangely, she liked textures on her tongue and flavors on her lips. She didn't really care what her food looked like at all. The middle plate though was obviously created to look much better, with a toothpick through each halved slice of thick grilled bread. This was because Kit was vegetarian, and had no idea who if anyone was coming back with her. So she said make anything, and that was what chef had.

Lyle tilted his head as Kit gave him about the most opaque answer imaginable. What on earth was gambling food, he wondered to himself. He laughed happily as she brought up the cupcakes and launched into a story about the chef. It wasn't hard to imagine the scenario she was laying out for him either. She was sweet and gentle, but he was starting to realize that no force could stop her once she'd set her mind on something. He gave the chef a friendly nod and chuckled at his teasing. She certainly seemed to be close with everyone on the ship. They all acted like a big family, and he guessed that made him the new in-law. He followed Kit into the kitchen and took a seat. "So what is it about the sandwiches that makes them gambling food?" Lyle was possibly even more curious now than when she'd first said it. As far as he was aware gambling was something you wanted to focus on keenly so you didn't lose your wallet... unless they were specifically intended to split her opponent's focus, which he had to admit was a definite possibility with someone as sharp-witted as her.

The answer that came was much more simple and straightforward than what he'd been thinking. It made sense too. You didn't want to get grease and oilyness all over your playing cards. He nodded and laughed. "I see. You need your hands not to be slick while you're snatching up all his tokens, is that it?" The cupcakes looked plain, but tasty. The pile of sandwiches on the middle tray looked delicious. Lyle picked one up, took out the toothpick, and began eating. It was delicious, and he made a mental note to give the chef his compliments before they left. He glanced over at Kit as she ate her odd-looking sandwiches. "What's in those?" He asked curiously. The cucumber, petals, and leaves were standard sandwich fare to him but he'd never seen anything like that weird purplish slab. As he waited for a reply, he took the pitcher and filled both of their glasses with the lime green liquid.

Kit held up a finger as she swallowed. She had been really hungry and the food was always really good. Kit ate pretty fast, which probably contributed a bit to her weight. Many of the females in Hylei were muscular or very thin, but Kit who had a sweet tooth had obvious curves which made her different. Although no one made fun of her because her princess status, Kit if had been a regular student may have been bullied if not for blindness then her weight. But Kit didn't often touch the bodies of other females, or males for that matter, so she knew no different. "It's plum plant. Kinda sweet, like the juice. My country is very fertile, my father always said Hylei was a big-chested newlywed. Because where I come from if you have a big chest it is stereotypical to have many children, and to have a small chest means you have few or none. But we have many plants and animals there, which is where the profits come from. Plum plant is a cross between plums and root, we experiment often on making new foods and such."

The boat rocked a bit as Kit took her cup with a polite 'thank you', " Also, We also make interest by dealing with other in debt countries borrowing from us. We are very lucky to own the 7 islands we do. It's a cute country, because bridges go between every island, even though the longest one out is a mile apart. Elders made them and we have no idea why they are still standing. There is a lot to my country that is interesting. We live on island 4, this is where we will be headed." Kit finished off her sandwhich, then reached for another to put her plate. "Also I am vegetarian, so I eat different foods. Many guests ask what I am eating often, I suppose what I eat doesn't appear appetizing." Kit shrugged, finished her second and licked the tip of her middle finger. "I politely disagree with them of course. I love what I eat." Kit sipped at her drink, a juice with lime and a similar to strawberry tasting juice that was a bit watered down. "I don't feel like cupcakes now, I'll have them after dinner when my body gets used to rocking. Do you get sea sick?"

Lyle waited patiently for her answer as Kit swallowed her food. Appearance was fairly low on his priorities, but he had to admit she had a figure that he found captivating. He couldn't understand the appeal of rail-thin women and too much muscle tone belied a level of dedication to fitness he would never share. As it was, for what it meant she had the physical qualities he found most attractive. He took another sandwich and removed the toothpick, eating it up slightly faster than the last. He looked at her as she spoke and nodded with a "hmmm." He coughed at the strange colloquialism, nearly choking on a bit of sandwich before swallowing it carefully and responding. "It certainly sounds interesting. I may ask the chef for one myself to try at our next meal. That... is a very blunt, very odd thing to say." He grinned. "One thing I was quite fond of back home was eating and experimenting with making things to eat, so it is exciting to hear that the culture of Hylei enjoys such things as well."

Suddenly the center of gravity was shifted for a moment and Lyle felt his lunch shift with it. He held a hand up to his mouth briefly before nodding. "Of course, my darling." He took a drink from his glass and grabbed another sandwich. "It sounds lovely. I can imagine these bridges are wonderful places for a nice relaxing stroll. In fact I should quite like to go for a walk with you at some point, if it would please you." By now he was almost eating as quickly as she was. "Ah, I see. That explains it then. I was simply curious as I've never seen that plum plant before, but I'm quite adventurous when it comes to food and always eager to try new things. Food should be enjoyed, is how I see it." Seeing her go for her drink made him subconsciously thirsty, so he took his glass and finished it off in a few large sips. "I must say this all has been delightful." He nodded with a chuckle. "Unfortunately so. My family has a boat we take on vacations sometimes, but I never went with them often enough to get used to it. I'd imagine if there is much more rocking like what happened a few minutes ago I may be so fortunate as to taste this magnificent meal a second time."

Kit wrinkled her nose up, "That's appetizing. And attractive." She said with a soft sarcasm. "Not that I know if your attractive or not, I have yet to even feel your face. Although according to the Queen you were the ugliest guy in the room. I thought that was pretty rude of her to say, huh?" She murmured almost quietly, as she finished her drink in small sips. "You can try one if you like of course, but it may not taste too well to you. Some of the food I eat is a sickly-sweet, I'm a real sugar junkie. You could pop a syringe full of syrup in my veins and it's probably give me euphoria or something." She kind of laughed at the thought, and then shook her head. She was referring to his interest in the food. "Yes, Hylei enjoys experimentation because we are quite a rich country. Always something going on with the people. We are really unified in that way, close in curiosity." Kit stood up.

"Ah,We should go to the bedroom, when your finished. The bedroom is the best part. I've made it all special and stuff. It's super nice, I designed it because well I simply couldn't sleep in a regular bed on a ship. I'm a princess and I kept falling off. So I- Well, you should just come with me." Kit sat down again, letting her excitement sit in her belly, she was getting rude and impatient for some reason. All she wanted to do was show him her wonderful people and country and all of her great ideas. she had this odd feeling like he wouldn't claim them unnecessary and stupid like her father often did.

Lyle chuckled again awkwardly, relaxing as she changed the topic. He blushed slightly. "Well... if you would like to, you are more than welcome to feel my face. I should think as my future wife you have that right." Pausing for a moment, he caught his breath. "She did, and it was. I've never put much thought into judging my own appearance. Actually, I've never put much thought into judging anyone's appearance." He reached over and took one of the vegetarian sandwiches. "Thank you. If I may make a confession, sugary foods are a sort of guilty pleasure of mine. I once took a drink not unlike this one and dissolved candy into it. That would give you euphoria, let me tell you." He laughed with her and took a bite and began chewing. "Hmmm." He swallowed. "That is a very interesting taste. I actually quite like it." A country unified in curiosity. That thought intrigued Lyle. "That sounds wonderful. I'm excited to think we will have the opportunity to make their lives better."

Lyle smiled and rose to his feet. "I'm finished eating for now, if you're ready to show me to the bedroom." He reached out and took her hand gently. "Shall we?" She seemed really excited and proud, which made him all the more eager to let her show him sooner rather than later.

"Sweet. Yes, yes. The god's gifted me with ideas. I can draw maps kind of. Of things. I write down ideas in pictures, although I cannot see them, for some reason they tend to make sense to other people." Kit smiled brightly, standing up again and taking him to the room. As if on cue, the Chef came back into the room as they left it to clean up. Kit walked down the wooden hallway to the room to the far right, another hallway went down after that room. Kit pointed "Over there is storage and stuff. The cabin to the crew. Those kinds of things. It's supposed to be private, I try to stay out of there personal things, so I'd rather you not go in those places. Unless your with me or we have definite reason to do so." She said, before grabbing onto the silver handle and turning it slowly. "This is so cool, your gonna love it."

As soon as the door pulled opened it smelled like her perfume, it hung in the air as if she had just lightly sprayed it herself. Soft velvet blankets created a canopy so you couldn't see the celling, the entire room was just a giant bed, full of soft blankets and pillows and teddy bears. The walls even had a puffy like foam on them, and were covered with a silk so if you bumped into it it was soft. It was a like a huge den. The only thing that wasn't padded was a door that led to the bathroom and dressing room to the farthest left of the room. Kit jumped onto the mattress, then crawled over to the door, opening it. "Hey, shut the door behind you when you come in." She said, taking out an oil lamp and match from the bathroom, and kicking off her shoes. It would be dark once he shut the door so she lit the lamp, it had a weird mesh cover on it, so if it fell and went out it wouldn't burn her little den down.

"That is quite a gift. I would love to see some of them, if you would care to show me." Lyle smiled back, standing with her and following her lead out of the room. He glanced over at the chef as they passed one another. "Thank you. It was exquisite." She led him down the hall to the next room and his eyes followed as she gestured further down the hall. "I understand. I shall avoid that area unless some emergency arises or you decide we need to go there for something." He turned back to her and the door. "I have no doubt of that, dear princess." Her enthusiasm was palpable, which was making Lyle more excited. Even somewhat jittery.

A wave of vanilla wafted past Lyle as Kit opened the door. There would be no tracking her by scent in here. He stepped in and pulled the door shut before flopping down into the mess of blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals beside her. Lifting his head up so his face wasn't in a pillow, he looked around the room. It looked like a soft, velvety cocoon. Rolling over onto his side to face her, he smiled. "This is so awesome. I love it." If this was the kind of thing she came up with, they simply had to go with her plans for the castle. Most of his creativity went into mischief at home, but he knew her brand would rub off on him if he spent enough time around her. He planned to spend more than enough time with her.

"I have a heightened sense of touch, taste, smell, and hearing. But especially hearing and touching, I think. The things that most bother me are touch related, so this soft, warm place is like magical for me." Kit laughed, closing the door to the bathroom with her foot. "All the different types of fabric, silk, velvet, cotton, fuzz. It makes me feel good." Kit set the lamp at the top of the bed, and crawled back to lay beside Lyle. "Hey," She said, pressing her face against his chest and pressing her body against his. "I'm gonna touch your face now, okay? So close your eyes so I don't accidentally poke you or anything." Kit almost whispered the words, embarrassed at her disability.

Kit's hands rested lightly on his chest and slid upwards, running the tips of her fingers and nails up against his shoulders and to his neck. They traveled slowly, as she tried to get a mental image, feeling every bump and crevice within his smooth skin. She flipped her hand so the back of her fingers grazed his jawline and caressed his face. Kit's body was tense, staring intently with milky eyes up at him, although all she saw was blackness. She ran the pad of her thumb over his lower lip and her breath hitched in the back of her throat. Her fingers dropped from his face as a strawberry tint made it's appearance onto her pale cheeks. "I wish I could see you." She said quietly, "I wish I could see." In her mind she was able to paint light picture of what he looked like, and it was not at all of an unattractive man. "But I'd rather feel you than see you I suppose." She decided, laying her head against a pillow lightly.

"This place seems quite magical to me as well. It has a comforting quality to it, as if the blankets are drawing the stress and cares out of my body simply by lying here." His heart stopped for a moment and he inhaled sharply as her face pressed against his chest and their bodies drew close together. He couldn't make the words come right away. Finally he managed to gently whisper "Yes," as he nodded. He closed his eyes and felt as if they were sinking into the warm embrace of the blankets. As they lay there together he brought his arms around her and held her close.

Her fingertips ran up across his chest first, pressing against the fabric of his shirt as they worked their way up past his shoulders. When they reached his neck, he shivered involuntarily at the soft smoothness of her touch. Her hands turned around and the backs rubbed along his chin, caressing their way up across his cheeks. His breathing became shallow and ragged, and it took every ounce of strength he had to keep his face still and his eyes closed as she lightly traced her thumb over his lip. As her hands drew back he opened his eyes to see that she was blushing as much as he was. "I wish I could grant you that wish, my love. Only the gods can grant that to you though, but I believe someday they may return your sight to you. I will pray that they do until that day." He looked lovingly into her milky white eyes and moved an arm out from behind her. Bringing it up to her face, he touched his fingertips to her cheek and slowly ran his hand down along her face. Leaning forward, he whispered. "If the feel of my face brings you such happiness though... that is something I can grant you." With that, he leaned in the rest of the way and lightly pressed his lips against hers.

Kit felt with every breath his chest rise and fall, she felt the fabric of his pants against her bare legs, she could listen to his heart when she hid, pressing up against him. When he spoke those words though, she closed her eyes sadly before opening them up again, "The god's will give me and my family what it rightfully deserves in due time. I will remain faithful and hope that one day they take away such a curse." Her voice was soft and quiet, her body felt warm even though she was in a dress above the covers. She wondered if it was possible, to feel such love this early, if this is what maybe her dad felt at one time? But no, that was impossible because her older sister was of another woman, Kit's mom was just a whore. Surely-

Her thoughts were cut off he touched her cheek, her worries and constant wonders of the world evaporating, dissipating, right into thin air. Her thoughts weren't muddled but clear, and wipes. She couldn't think of anything with his warm hand there. She idly wondered how much power he really did have on her as his face came forward and she felt his breath, and she swallowed. Her eyes focused on those gentle words, though she could not see, she could see in her own little way that maybe, just possibly, he really did love her this much. She didn't have to worry he'd become power hungry, she didn't have to worry about him forcing his opinion on her. Maybe not all rulers were really that bad. As he drew nearer, Kit stilled for it. Wondering yet remembering disappointment, so she was surprised, if only slightly, when he pressed his lips to hers so carefully. Her heart fluttered and her eyes closed, listening to the soft sound it made to kiss. She had never been kissed before, although it was a shame at the age of 18, but she was a disabled princess not many wanted. She was a good friend but no one really saw her and thought 'sexy' either. The small amount of adrenaline running through her veins was enough to kiss him again, pressing her mouth a little harder against his, more urgent and needing.

When Lyle saw Kit's eyes close, he brought his own shut. It was his first kiss, and had he thought about it before today it would have been everything he dreamed of and more. He hadn't been interested in women his whole life. They, like all people outside his family and their staff, were distractions from his books and other studies. Even when his sisters had tried to set him up, he found the women they thought fitting to be more interested in being in a relationship than being in the right relationship. Feeling her mouth locking more firmly against his, he sensed her urgency and slipped his hand on her cheek back behind her head. Pulling their heads together, he let himself go entirely and kissed her deeply, passionately. They were so close he could feel her heart pounding against his in unison. For now, with them together like this, there was nothing else. Even the rocking of the boat ceased to exist in their own private little world of blissful love and joy.

When it seemed her need had been satisfied, he pulled back slightly and separated their lips. Opening his eyes, he felt tears of happiness welling up. "I will never find the words to express how much I love you, my dear sweet Kit." He ran his hand through her hair gently as he looked lovingly into her eyes. It didn't matter if she was blind. It didn't matter if others didn't see the same beauty in her that he did. To him, perfection was the woman he held tenderly in his arms right now.

When Lyle pulled his head away from Kit, she breathed. That was her focus, breathing. It was hard to breathe when your so stuck in the moment, when fireworks are loud and crackling in your head. She looked up at her lover and smiled "I love you too, Lyle." She whispered, unable to contain herself as she wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly to her body. Just embracing and feeling the warmth from his body. It was a warmth that went much further than skin deep, bone deep, it resonated into her soul. Into her heart and mind. It filled her with a happiness that she wasn't alone anymore. And she wouldn't have to be again.

"Are you not worried about the wedding being so soon?" She asked softly after a small while of silence. "Is there anything you specifically want for that time? That you want to prepare or plan or make?" Kit asked those questions, but a sudden interruption cut her off, the handle on the door to the hallway made a clicking noise as it swung open. Jack stood blinking in the doorway for a minute, looking at the two. "Oh." She said, a little surprised. "Oh. Whoops... Eh... Wrong-Wrong room." She stated, look a little flustered and weirded-out at the same time. "Wait- Jack." Kit said, untangling her arms from his body and sitting up. But it was too late, she had already disappeared. Kit blinked a few seconds, wondering if she should go after Jack and explain things, but she feared that would look more suspicious anyway. Oh let it be... She thought to herself, sighing as she took out her braid and shook out her wavy hair.

Lyle could feel the warm gentle breaths against his face each time Kit exhaled. Although his heart raced along like a prized stallion and his own breathing became deep and gradual, he felt calm. The tidal wave of emotions that swept him away was a peaceful one. He was the third son of a lesser noble, heir to no great responsibility. It would have been perfectly reasonable for him to feel pangs of fear and uncertainty at the thought of giving up his carefree life to shoulder the burden of rulership. With Kit cuddled up against him though, no thoughts could have been further from his mind. Every word and deed, from her stubborn willfulness in the carriage to her rosy-pink cheeks and loving eyes in the privacy of her own room gave him renewed strength and confidence that the heavens must surely smile on them and their love.

As she spoke, he let his fingers roam through her hair. "Not at all." He smiled serenely. "I do have a few ideas I'd like your-" He heard the clicking sound and his subconscious tried to warn him of what would happen after, but his mind lingered on Kit and the wedding and he didn't realize what was happening until the door swung open. He rolled onto his back and sat upright beside Kit and caught a glimpse of the captain before she shut the door hastily and left. This time rather than feeling embarrassed he simply laughed quietly. Here she had barged in unannounced and surely felt more than enough embarrassment for them all. In the carriage, he felt, it was different. There he had forgotten the presence of anyone but himself and his beloved Kit and nearly kissed her in full view of their maid. He watched as she undid her braid, letting her hair fall around her features in lines that curved back and forth like the sea. "Ah," He tried to get the words out but they failed him at first, "I would like to hear your thoughts on a few ideas." His voice trailed off to little more than a soft whisper.

Kit looked at Lyle with heavy lids, not really seeing, but just listening. Something stirred inside her when he spoke, his voice soft and low. She placed her hand over his waist and onto the bed and swung her leg over to straddle him. "Give me your hand." She said softly, "Before we get married I need to tell you about the little cerimonal things we do in my country." Kit leaned back, sitting one her legs. "What we will have to do is smith eachothers crown, you my tiara, you design it and overlook it while it's being made by whoever you designate to create it. That is what we will trade for wedding 'rings' I believe they call it in other areas? And when we get married, it will be on a balcony over looking my people, and with our hands at the end, we must do this." Kit grabbed his hand, interlocking their fingers only at the very tips. "It means unity and respect, much of the time when you meet Hylei citizens you do this," She let go of his fingers, interlocking her own at the pad and tips.

"It used to be only a sign of royalty, but it's changed sense then. Although no one will be offended if you don't do it, unless they are royal. People don't expect you to do it, but it is definitely kind to do so." Kit smiled, "But for our wedding I have many ideas, I want Mary-Anne to make the cakes, a small baker with 11 kids, can you imagine? Although of course she is a large lady so it was inevidable. She makes the best sweets. I want to wear my mothers dress, and get decorations from Sir Taylor, the Taylor, what a great name huh? I will have to show you the shopping district once we get there and everything will make much more sense."

Lyle looked back at Kit cheerfully. Though she could not see him, when her eyes were on him he felt like they reached out and touched his very soul with loving tenderness. He sat still as she straddled him, his arms were instinctively drawn behind her as if their love was a force as real and irresistible as magnetism or gravity. She began speaking and he withdrew one arm to offer her his hand. He listened intently to her words, completely enraptured by the sound of her voice which was sweeter to him even than her foods of choice. She took his hand and explained what the wedding gesture symbolized, as well as a common greeting. He paid especially careful attention to these. It was his desire that the people of Hylei would come to see him as a compassionate and approachable king, so he would need to remember to show this courtesy to everyone he could regardless of rank or status.

He chuckled and nodded at her description of the baker and the man who would handle wedding decorations. "I can hardly wait. I have no doubt this Mary-Anne makes fabulous desserts. We have a saying in Strudwick. It goes that you should never trust a skinny cook, and I would imagine having 11 birthdays to worry about would give one plenty of practice." Wrapping his other arm back around her, he laughed happily. "So we have cakes and decorations covered. There was one thing I wanted to ask you about. I know it is my responsibility as the husband-to-be to plan the honeymoon. If you would like to help me plan it, I would be happy to accommodate but I also had thought perhaps I might plan it myself so it could be a surprise. I understand that by tradition I should plan it myself, but I don't want to deprive you of a say in matters."

Kit smiled, "Yes, that is a good one. A skinny cook would be weird to have." She felt the warmth on her body, it was more comfortable like this, because she knew exactly how Lyle was. He could move if he really wanted to, but if he did she could feel it. Then she would know where he was at or what he was doing. Eventually she would get metal tapped onto the bottom of his shoes so she could more precisely know what he was up to, then she would be much more comfortable. "I have no interest in planning the honey moon really. It is only the wedding I worry about, because my wedding is to please my people, the honeymoon is to please us."

Kit pressed the back of her hand against Lyles cheek, feeling his warmth. "Although I will tell you, Island 6 is the richest of our country and this is where so far every couple has gone in the past. This though is not tradition, if it continues on it may become one, but it isn't yet. We can go anywhere for our honeymoon, but it can not be a very long time. There is lots of work as a head, and our country needs us. You will also deal with military matters, and army, and while we are gone you must put someone in head. It is a slightly rushed wedding and such, because normally they know a few months ahead of time. But, " Kit shrugged "I still haven't a clue when the soonest our wedding can be."

Status
Not open for further replies.