Lyle and Kit

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The room was dark. The only light was whatever moonlight made it past the trees and through the windows. On the bed, Lyle was curled up into a ball and wrapped in the sheets sleeping soundly. Their customs on this matter seemed to be similar, and had it been a normal day and everything gone as planned he would have thought to stay awake and await Kit's arrival. As it was the day had been anything but normal and nothing had gone as expected. The last he'd seen of her though, she'd gone off into the woods for some time alone and he had no way of knowing when she'd decide to return or even if she would have the energy to visit him when she finally did. The sheets rose and fell slowly with his breathing and his body was turned towards the door. He hadn't heard her open the door as he lay motionless on the bed with his eyes shut peacefully.

When Kit opened the door quietly at first she just stared at the ground, leaning against the door. When his voice did not clear, or say nothing, eventually she came to and looked up. Her eyes glinting lightly in the moonlight. It took her a second to really see, as the dark halls were filled along the walls with candles to show light for the maids and her eyes had yet to really adjust to the darkness. But when she realized he was asleep her felt a thud in the bottom of her chest. It came to a shock to her, as, Lyle had been so kind to her before. He doesn't want me. She stated, looking dully at him deflated. Had he married for money then? Would this soon be the end of her and her kingdom too? Coming better to it she realized her hurt was maybe misguided, as he didn't know customs here surely. But she couldn't help the tears in her eyes anyway, and abruptly she stumbled back and closed the door. She was going back to her own room. Who needed him anyway? It had only been days and she'd stupidly decided... She ran, back across the C of the hall, took off back to hide before any maids saw her and tried to pity her. Her cheeks burned hot.

Lyle flailed out of bed as the door slammed shut, stumbling to his feet and rushing over into the hallway without even the time to think. His eyes followed the sound of footsteps and spotted Kit just before she disappeared around the curve of the hallway. He stood in the doorway in his pajamas utterly confused. A few seconds passed and he sluggishly closed the door, trudging down the hallway with a hand on the wall for support and the other rubbing his eyes. Arriving at her door after nearly falling over several times on the way, he knocked on the door and waited for Kit to answer. His eyes were groggy and unfocused, and he could barely stand up straight as he struggled to get out of his half-asleep state. That was one thing his lazy carefree lifestyle hadn't prepared him for, and getting out of bed after having just gotten to sleep was eliciting nothing less than a full rebellion from the rest of his body.

When Kit went in her room she lit all her candles, watching the matches burn to her fingertips before lighting them. The musky vanilla scent filled the room, a comforting scent her mother used to wear and now she did. This might have been part of the reason her father avoided her when necessary. Upon remembering the scents she wiped her eyes and pulled the braid out of her hair that Lucy had just done. It was still so kind of the maids to wear different scents even though she could see now. Maybe they enjoyed it, because instead of just being "maids" they had names, they were different from one another. Sitting on the bed Kit curled up at the end of it like a cat, her eyes looking through the soft see through lilac gauzey fabric that drifted from the canopy of her bed and into the moon. When she heard a knock she thought a swear, had someone seen her? Swallowing she cleared her throat and wiped her cheeks for extra measure. She meant it to sound queenly and defined as she spoke, but it sounded more of a squeak as she whispered loudly "Come in." As if anyone else could hear through the door and she hadn't wanted to wake them, which was impossible.

Lyle could smell the strong vanilla scent through the door and it helped him compose himself a little better. Shaking his head as clear as he could get it, he opened the door slowly and stepped inside. The door closed behind him and he turned to Kit curled up on the bed behind the veil draped around it. He squinted for a moment and brought a hand up to cover his mouth as he yawned. When he finally spoke his voice sounded a bit higher and more airy than usual as he tried to speak through the yawning. "Everything alright?" His other hand gestured in front of him as if he was trying to reel the words out. "I heard my door slam and saw you running off this way." Walking over to the bed, he sat down at the foot of the bed and looked over at Kit. It was obvious in his eyes that he was dead tired and straining hard to speak coherently. He put his face in his hands and rubbed his eyes some more, mumbling as he did. "Did my parents... talk to you about that thing? They had this thing they wanted to do."

Kit stared at Lyle a moment, hadn't he just been in bed a second ago? Surely he was sleeping and didn't seem to be awake at all. It took a few words before she realized what had happened. She looked at him as he spoke, but turned her eyes away and back to the window. "Yeah. Yeah they did and sorry but we can't do that. My people would think it sneaky, and I wouldn't dare do anything different anyway. If this is what the god's wanted, this is what they wanted. Maybe they were teaching me a lesson. I haven't the slightest idea." Her voice was soft and airy. He sounded sleepy and groggy and just like he wanted to sleep. "I'm fine. I was just checking on you." She lied, "You can go back to sleep."

Lyle's head bobbed up and down when she mentioned the gods. "Mmmm... Fair 'nuff." He blinked hard a few times and reached over to pat her leg. "That's... mom for you though. Wants everything to be perfect for everyone all the time." With a smile, he murmured. "Alright. G'night dear." As soon as he said that he flopped over beside Kit and wrapped his arms around her, nuzzling his nose into her back. His body squirmed a few times until their heads were level with each other and he pulled himself in close. He kissed the back of her head. "Love you."

Kit glanced at his hand and blushed, it was like fire where he touched her. She looked away, trying to focus her mind, it didn't matter now. When he grabbed her and held her she kind of started, her heart in her chest thumping. He was really... Not calming her down right now. She didn't feel angry at him, just more at herself and it was almost as if, she simply did not want to be touched. "Yeah." She muttered, getting up out of his grip and crawling over him. "Goodnight." She pulled the blankets over him, tucking him in. "I'll be back in awhile." She added.

Lyle rolled over to face Kit as she got up. He'd been awake for a bit now and his mind was starting to clear up. As such, he started to pick up on what he would have sensed right away otherwise. His face showed concern and his tone was soft as he reached a hand out towards her. "Hey, is everything really alright?" Swinging his legs around, he sat upright. "If something's wrong, you don't have to deal with it alone anymore Kit." There was definitely something wrong, and Lyle hoped she would be willing to talk to him about it. They were married now. He wanted to be there for her if something was bothering her.

Kit blushed and shook her head, running her fingers through her white hair. "Nope. Everything is fine. And your tired." She whispered, watching him sit up. She couldn't bring herself to say it and just smiled instead. "I just want to go for a walk okay?" She reached over and kind of petted him on the head as if he was her little brother. "Tonight has been stressful, you know. And you know what it was supposed to be in my mind, and how it turned out is very different. That's how things are though. So just rest, come morning I'll be over it." Kit didn't like to lie, and so telling half-truths were much easier. Sweeping down the dresser she grabbed a little sweater and pulled it over her head. Turning away she shrugged, "Rest well okay. I'm going out alone, and you should be sleeping. It's been a... Rough day for you."

Lyle looked down as she patted his head. He knew something was bothering her and it hurt to know she didn't want to talk to him about it, but he wasn't going to force it out of her. "Yeah. Alright." Lifting his head back up, he watched her turn around and shrug. There were a lot of things he thought about saying. When we get to the place I picked for our honeymoon, none of this will matter anymore. You all packed and ready? Just make sure you get some sleep tonight, unless you just want to sleep on the trip there. None of it made it past his lips though. Perhaps it was best to just stop talking, go to sleep, and hope that putting the day behind them would bring in a new day with a new frame of mind. He stretched back out on the bed and drifted off to sleep.

Kit slipped out the door with a sad smile. Poor guy. Her fingers found the small bag on the side of the door and she pulled it up to her on her way out. Before leaving Kit slipped into the old nurses closet. It was pitch black, so very dark. For a second it had been startling, but then it was... Back to normal. So familiar, so... The same. Her fingers found the bag without a fumble and her nightgown came off and went into the bag. She slipped on the other dress, a simple black one, and a sweater that was soft to the touch. The shoes she wore were walking shoes and actually a bit uncomfortable, although not incredibly so. Leaving the bag in the closet she slipped out the door again and made her way out of the castle. As she left she messed with her hair, putting it in a pony tail and puffing it under her hair so it looked as if she had chopped it.

When morning came, the princess was far gone. The castle restless, Lucy found Lyle in Kit's place which didn't help. She was loud to wake him up, a bit rough or angry. But she had no reason to be so. Because Kit was passed out face down in the gardens with a half drank bottle of vodka in her hand. She had been until the bar until close, and the bar didn't close until every customer was out. She didn't realize this until sunrise, kicking her feet and trying all the funny liquids the warmed her chest and made her vision blur. This is why dad thought it was so fun, yeah? It wouldn't be long until a guard notice her, or even if Lucy were to step out on the balcony you'd see her. It was a warm sunny day, as most were in the country.

Lyle awoke to Lucy's rough shaking and loud shouts. He sat bolt upright and blinked once, looking over and noticing the look of anxiety on her face. "Lucy? What time-" Glancing over to the widows he noticed the sunlight coming into the room and turned back to Lucy, his expression was now just as anxious as hers. "What's happening? Where's Kit?" Shit. I shouldn't have let her wander off like that. This is the last time I make that mistake... The words coming from his wife's maid were a jumble, crowded out by the voice in his head. He simply jumped to his feet and ran for the balcony, looking out over the castle grounds and beyond. It didn't take long for him to spot her passed out in the garden. A sigh of relief came as he turned and slumped over against the railing around the balcony, and then his mind got to working.

There had been a bottle of liquor in her hand. His heart sank. She'd gone off and gotten herself dangerously drunk like she had tried to do at the ball where they met. He'd trusted her to take some time to herself safely and she'd done this. Part of him thought this must be why some husbands decided to keep more control over their wives, but he shook that thought away quickly. He'd convince her to be more careful in the future. He had to. He refused to become some overbearing spouse, but he wouldn't just sit by as she killed herself slowly. His teeth were clenched in pain and he held his head in his hands, gripping at his hair as tears streamed down his face. "Lucy..." His voice was a desperate croak through the sobbing. "Lucy... help me. I need to get to her..."

Kit's fingers twitched against the grass. What the heck was with all that noise? Ugh. Raising her fingers to her ears to cover her head, she realized her arms felt like lead. The make-shift bandage on her right hand was tied loosely and coming undone. Her hair was a mess and had come undone. Her disguise fooled no one at the bar, but the old wrinkled man pretended as if it had fooled him. Surely the people would hear the news. It wasn't surprising though, raging alcoholism in her father would teach you something. If you got stressed, he drank. If you wanted to feel good because your having a party, he drank. If you were sad and couldn't deal with things, he drank. If he couldn't sleep, he drank. If there was a situation he couldn't handle, he drank. Although Kit could deal easily with most situations, hopelessness was not one of them. It was an uncomfortable and unpleasant feeling in the pit of her stomach that made her want to never wake up again. So doing as her father did as she was taught to, she drank. In her mind it was justified, she wasn't as bad as her father after-all. She had thought about it part of the night, but shook it off the fuzzier things got.

Kit attempted to roll over, fluttering her lids. The grass was cold and green. And the sun so damn bright. She shielded her eyes with her arm, the sound of metal on metal as knights walked around the grounds. Lucy nodded at Lyle, looking over the balcony. Thank goodness he hadn't killed her and hid the body, which was Lucy's main worry. Rushing down the steps with a few worried maids, the girls made there way over to her. When they got to her, her eyes were closed and shielded, her dress dirtied and hair slightly messed. They didn't say a word, after all what was there to say. They tried to pick her up but Kit groaned and shook her head, "Leave 'e alone." She cried grabbing the bottle tightly to her chest. "I'm just tired. I'll see you in the morning." Lucy shook her head, all stern and no sympathy. "It IS morning, mistress. Awaken and get clean! You leave soon after all!" A knight upon hearing the madness watched behind the maids struggle to get Kit up for awhile, then took off his hood and simply picked the girl up princess style in one sweep. Kit didn't bother to fight it, and just curled up and closed her eyes back.

"To her bedroom." Lucy said, looking away. And again silence ensued. But not for long, as they went up the stairs Lucy whispered, "Was he not soft? Was he not kind?" In a quiet tone. Her eyes not on her mistress but the railing. She very possibly could hurt Lyle herself. Kit laughed loudly, a little of the liquor still in her system. "Was what at all? He didn't hurt me." Kit couldn't imagine it, pressing her face against the chest of the man who held her up as they trudged to the first floor of the large castle. Kit's stomach didn't feel so good and the cool chainmail against her forehead was refreshing. Lucy didn't want to say much with other people around but curiosity got the better of her. Why otherwise would she run away on her wedding night. "So you were scared and ran?" She decided to take it from another route, not directly asking the cause. "He didn't damn well want me at all, my hands injured, me and him were both tired and had a hard night. Stop pestering me my head hurts. Mary go get me some of that nasty pain killing liquid before my head explodes." The knight stepped into the room carefully, setting her on the bed and taking his leave politely. He had dark hair and bright eyes, tan skin. Kit would remember his face and give him extra money this month. But she curled up as the maids rushed around to pack for her, for the plans of the vacation.

Lyle could only listen helplessly as Lucy and the other maids ran off without him, paralyzed and useless as he was with a mess of negative emotions. He had only wanted Lucy to give him a hand up so he could get on his feet and make his way down to Kit. He'd wanted to speak with her himself first. Her words carried up to the balcony and stung him sharply. So that's what it was... When they finally arrived in her room, Lyle had dropped over onto his side and was still curled up in a ball. He could see Kit through his legs, arms, and tears. Wiping his eyes with his arms before moving, he then stood up and walked over to her.

Leaning over he knelt down and whispered into her ear while stroking her hair. "Kit... Kit, I did want you. I still do. I was just tired, and we were both so stressed from everything that'd happened. I just thought you deserved better than that for your first time. I was afraid of letting you down. I thought our honeymoon would come along and be wonderful and we'd be happy and could... be together the way you deserve. I still think that."

The maids were rustling, some of the work had already been done of course. They were anticipating it, but the princess usually packed her own things and preferred not to be so reliant on the maids. The bottle of clear liquid was still tightly gripped in her hands. A maid came over with a small shot glass of a blackish syrupy liquid and a lime-green juice. Taking the liquid and downing it as if it were an actual shot, Kit made a face. It was unpleasant, so very bitter. But it numbed out, a painkiller, it would be nice in a little white. Drinking the juice to chase it and handing it to a made, Kit dropped back down to the bed, rubbing her face.

When Lyle combed his fingers through her hair, she nodded her face into the pillow. His hands felt nice, like she was a cat getting pet. She enjoyed it so much the soft words he spoke almost went over her head. Almost. Her cheeks reddened, he didn't hear her did he. How stupid. "I'm fine, I'm fine." She muttered into the pillow. The maid set out some clothes beside her, but Kit didn't look at them. They'd have to leave shortly, she knew. "It's just hard sometimes, it's fine. I drank it out. I'll live." She said, nuzzling his hand. It sucked to not be pretty enough to be wanted. It sucked to have a shitty wedding in which war and hate was made instead of love. It was hard to live sometimes. That didn't matter though, because such was life. Kit had no option other than to deal with it. Lucy tapped her foot impatiently behind them, wanting to let them talk it out, but also wanting to get them on there way to the honey moon. She held a bowl of warm water and a towlette to wipe her face and arms of any dirt.

Lyle frowned and tried to fight back more tears, he slowly stood up and offered Kit a hand to help her to her feet. "Come on. My bags should be loaded already, and yours are being taken out now. We'll talk more in the carriage." He could tell by Lucy's demeanor that it was about time for them to be heading out. Lucy came over and cleaned Kit off when something occurred to Lyle. "I guess we'll be getting dressed when we get to the place, huh? At least we'll be in the carriage the whole time." This wasn't the first time he'd be spending the day in his pajamas, and the thought of it didn't really bother him at all. Pajamas were comfortable after all. He could certainly use some extra comfort. Heavens knew there wasn't any to be had in his life the past day. Looking down at the floor briefly, he said a short prayer for their honeymoon to go smoothly and amazingly.

Kit took his hands and sighed audibly, still waiting for the painkillers to kick in from her killer hang over. Grabbing the folded clothes on the bed, and tucking the bottle inside the clothes to have a little barrier, she pressed it to her chest. Things were still a little wishy, but not so much so that Kit couldn't focus. She almost wished she were blind again so the lights wouldn't seem to bright and the colors so potent. It dawned on Kit she had no idea where they were going as she followed Lucy sluggishly down the steps and to the carriage. "Where are we going exactly?" Kit asked as the door was opened for her from the same mute man that had taken Lyle to the island on his first day. Rubbing her eyes and combing her fingers through her hair she stifled a yawn. She hoped it was no where too over populated. People were wonderful and all, but loud and chittery and sometimes made her nervous.

Lyle walked alongside Kit as they followed Lucy to the carriage, giving a slight smirk as she asked about their destination. "Oh, you'll see when we get there. Don't want to spoil the surprise." He bowed his head slightly in thanks and interlocked his fingers at the mute man who they'd seen several times before. This time he even tried signing "good morning" followed by the man's name, all of which he'd asked around the staff for help with. Based on the smile he received, he could only assume he'd gotten it all right. Lyle helped Kit up into the carriage and sat close beside her. He knew where they were going. They were headed to the island with the fewest people, to a place surrounded by a variety of vibrant and colorful plants, flowers, and birds. The view would be magnificent from their room, something that would truly be worthy of such a joyful occasion with someone who had only recently regained their sight. There would be pleasant and soothing scents and sounds as well, all carried on the warm and gentle breeze coming in from the nearby coast.

That would come when they arrived though, and in the meantime they had things to talk about. Lyle reached over and took her hand softly, giving it a tender squeeze as he looked into her eyes. "You can't keep doing this Kit. We're married now. We're supposed to deal with our problems together. We're supposed to trust each other with our problems." He sighed and turned his gaze down at his lap. "And this drinking... I mean, a few drinks here and there is fine. You never have just a few drinks though. This binge drinking is bad for you. It's not safe." His eyes started to tear up again. "You're destroying yourself slowly. I don't want to watch you do this to yourself, but I will if you make me. I'll be there for you and I will love you even as it tears my heart to pieces." Burying his face in her arm, the tears flowed out of his eyes. "I love you Kit. Please stop doing this to yourself. Stop trying to act like everything's ok when it's not. It's fine to be sad and stressed and afraid. I want to be there for you and help you when you do feel that way, but you have to let me. I won't make you let me."

Kit's fingers rested on the soft seat beside her, running her fingers back and forth over soft velvet. She liked her little carriage. Her basket sat beside her as always and Kit tilted her head back, resting it behind her. The medicine was starting to kick in as the horses began to pull, the metal at the bottom of there hooves clicking against the cobblestone. Reaching over, Kit let the curtian drop so the sun wasn't in her eyes and sat back again. Kit was very surprised at Lyle's sudden words and tears. She looked down at him as he spoke, but quickly looked away. Kit didn't often shed tears herself, it was an uncomfortable knotted feeling in her throat when she did. Not to mention her father would laugh at her shame when she did. Kit couldn't find the words to explain, couldn't find the words to tell him, so instead she just turned her head the other way and opened the basket beside her for a cookie. Ignoring it completely. She had an itch to take a shot again, the bottle sitting in her lap with her clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.