Let the Stars Fall Down OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

Are you making a female or a male? Appearance-wise, of course.

• MAN MODU ENGAGED

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Watashi wa kawaii idoru shoujo desuuuuuuuu

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Cracker Claws, wouldn't the weakness of having to be crawling on the target be compensated by the fact that you can probably launch a whole bunch of gearpillars onto another mech, and, if even ONE of them stays on for more than a few seconds, they'd chomp through a whole bunch important things, right?

But eh, I imagined the claws as big-ass crab claws or whatever. Should be fine if it doesn't chomp through everything easily, I guess. Would say though, that there's 'downtime' for each chomp. You said it was auto-sharpening, right? I'd think that, if it was super sharp, it'd be easy to chip and dull and lose that super sharpness.

Actually, going over the whole 'regeneration' feature...would that mean that anything that burns/cauterizes would act as a hard counter to the gearpillars? Or are they smart enough that they'll harm themselves to re-open wounds?

If they were sliced in half, would they just become two? Like starfish?

Are they able to do complex actions, such as cooking an egg? Or can your character only order them to 'Go kill that thing' and such?

Everything else should be fine though. I guess, if you lose a gearpillar, it'd be gone forever until you go back that particular planet to 'reload'?

The gearpillars remind me of these guys a lot.

SciSource_BS8236.jpg

That's scary as shit. I might have to reject the Job Application due to ugliness.

Perhaps, but like the gearpillars, tardigrades are tough as fuck, so it might not be unreasonable to assume that the gearpillars have similar defensive capabilities.

For the Cracker Claws, wouldn't the weakness of having to be crawling on the target be compensated by the fact that you can probably launch a whole bunch of gearpillars onto another mech, and, if even ONE of them stays on for more than a few seconds, they'd chomp through a whole bunch important things, right?

But eh, I imagined the claws as big-ass crab claws or whatever. Should be fine if it doesn't chomp through everything easily, I guess. Would say though, that there's 'downtime' for each chomp. You said it was auto-sharpening, right? I'd think that, if it was super sharp, it'd be easy to chip and dull and lose that super sharpness.
Yeah, but the attacks are not instantaneous. Like I said, it works through a combination of pressure and sharpness, so it would take a second or two for the gearpillar to set the attack up. A downtime is also reasonable, after all, they are working mechanical muscles that are strong enough to crack armour, so it would be more like "get rid of the armour and cause heavy damage, then run the hell away" than literally chewing into crucial systems.
Actually, going over the whole 'regeneration' feature...would that mean that anything that burns/cauterizes would act as a hard counter to the gearpillars? Or are they smart enough that they'll harm themselves to re-open wounds?
The part that is burnt to a crisp will not function any longer and is likely going to have to be surgically removed or chomped off by another gearpillar and depending on its size, it would take some time to regenerate not to mention it would hurt like hell. They would eventually open the wound again to heal by themselves, but in the heat of battle, you can count on them not to do that.
If they were sliced in half, would they just become two? Like starfish?
No, they would attempt to rejoin their two halves with each other unless ordered otherwise.
Are they able to do complex actions, such as cooking an egg? Or can your character only order them to 'Go kill that thing' and such?
My character acts like a tactical coordinator. He can tell specific gearpillars what to attack and how to attack it, but finer details are left to the gearpillars themselves. Think of them like a military squad with a sergeant, with less intelligence though.
Everything else should be fine though. I guess, if you lose a gearpillar, it'd be gone forever until you go back that particular planet to 'reload'?
Technically, I could run my own gearpillar breeding program, but I doubt that is going to happen because of technological limitations and inexpertise on my character's part. So yes.

Wait, so...they made biotech monsters, but decided to retain their sense of pain? Is there any point in that? Thought it would have made them easier to control if they weren't instinctively adverse to pain.

Wait, so...they made biotech monsters, but decided to retain their sense of pain? Is there any point in that? Thought it would have made them easier to control if they weren't instinctively adverse to pain.
That would also have adverse effects on any standing pain-aggressive senses this entity they created could possibly have. Like boar, if you harm it, it gets angry and rushes at you. Maybe something like this might be going on, or maybe I'm just theorizing more then I need to.

Pain is a warning sign to the body that something is wrong. If you disable anything's sense of pain, then it might suffer injuries or strain its limitations in a fatal way, in the case of the gearpillar for example, rushing into a cloud of white hot plasma that would roast it. It also gives feedback as to where the actual injuries occur, which is valuable information to the creature, so it can protect the injured side of it better while following orders. Their sense of pain is diminished to make them easier to control and their aversion can be ultimately overwritten by a command, but there is no sense of getting rid of a valuable warning that something is about to break.

I was just about to point that sort of thing out myself. Feeling no pain's really not as good as it sounds.

Mm, I was operating under the assumption that she could deduce the extent of injuries just via mind-linking or mechanical readers or what not, like a normal mech. But k. Still be waiting for the CS, and something that explains what a seeker is, but it should be fine.

• Candel Feond
    "It's purpose is obvious, and I am but a piece of it."

Race: Human

Personality:

Biography:
    • Project SPACEWHALE started, it's name humorously decided upon by the Dawnhult team involved. Mission is to create a large biological "mecha".
    • Issues revolving around the sheer size of the artificial entity being produced led the team to believe the biomecha might grow a potential disdain for its social and existential position. Plans to make it artificially intelligent are scrapped.
    • Attempts to integrate with the biomecha proved futile as its nervous system was far too different; the human brain could not properly interpret most of the electrical data they received.
    • A separate project commences intending to produce a modified human with the right neurological structure to control the biomecha. Candel Feond is born and proves to be capable of doing just that.
    • Results exceed expectations, and Candel's abilities heavily modified the biomecha further than the development team intended. Believing herself to be a tool for fighting rather than scientific discovery, she ignored the team and fled the facility.

Job: Mercenary
    Skills: Being raised as the key for a more "important" piece of technology, Candel recieved very little training in anything other than operating the biomecha. As such, she is relatively unskilled in just about everything save eating, sleeping, talking, and walking.
    Talents: Much like her skills, she was created with a particular goal in mind, and thus got the short end of the stick when it came to displaying any other natural talents than getting in the robot shinji. If there were one talent she displayed, it would be her incredibly fast thinking, a product of the need to process a far greater amount of information coming from her biomecha.

Power:
    Much like her biomecha, Candel has the power of regeneration and mild physiological modification. While she can recover a severed limb without much worry, her ability to change things such as her physiology are bare. Beyond increasing her physical strength to pick up a heavy item or increasing her lung capacity to hold her breath for a few extra minutes, she can't do much yet. Rather, her ability to modify her biomecha instead is nearly limitless, restricted only by the biological material that makes it up.

Theme Song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Woaw. So scary. Such an anti-team player. 10/10, will report.

Also on team Dog, when I'm on team Cat. Pls die.

Tsumugi is catgirl. Tsugumi is your avatar. Thus, clearly, cats > dogs.

Really though, do you have any particular suggestions to how your character would even be interested? All things considered, he's going to be an employee, and my character's an employer. So being a douchebag prick thing isn't going to look very good...especially when I think we already have a bunch of other smart scientist types.

Well I've already got an idea as to why he's interested; he might be a scientifically-inclined dude, but it doesn't mean he's just about studies and the like. What scientist doesn't like to test out their toys?

Really though he's basically just undergone a vague change of heart, being inclined now moreso to venture into the world to apply his skills in more than just development. For him, science can always be done on the move!

He's essentially gone, "I've made a lot of shit, but right now I really just want to screw around with it, and see what else I can do in a non-laboratory setting." FYI he's had superiors before, so it's not like he's utterly incapable of following orders. If anything he's especially good at kissing up to save his ass/get in good with the higher ups.

Cats and dogs both get hair everywhere. Poodles don't, which is why poodles are the best dogs. I'm generally more of a cat person, though. Trying to take care of a dog the way I'll be living for a good while would be mean to the dog. Cat, though? Cat wouldn't care.

Well I've already got an idea as to why he's interested; he might be a scientifically-inclined dude, but it doesn't mean he's just about studies and the like. What scientist doesn't like to test out their toys?

Really though he's basically just undergone a vague change of heart, being inclined now moreso to venture into the world to apply his skills in more than just development. For him, science can always be done on the move!

He's essentially gone, "I've made a lot of shit, but right now I really just want to screw around with it, and see what else I can do in a non-laboratory setting." FYI he's had superiors before, so it's not like he's utterly incapable of following orders. If anything he's especially good at kissing up to save his ass/get in good with the higher ups.
Mmk, it's just that from what I've read in the personality section, he feels less like a 'huehuehue, let's see what this does' and more like a 'fucking plebs, time to set on ignore and do my own things'. But even then, it feels like we have tons of scientist dudes. XD

How significant would his equipment be though? Just there for snark? Or does she do stuff as well?

Klee Kai best doge.

Status
Not open for further replies.