Let the Stars Fall Down OOC

Are you making a female or a male? Appearance-wise, of course.

• MAN MODU ENGAGED

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Watashi wa kawaii idoru shoujo desuuuuuuuu

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmk, it's just that from what I've read in the personality section, he feels less like a 'huehuehue, let's see what this does' and more like a 'fucking plebs, time to set on ignore and do my own things'. But even then, it feels like we have tons of scientist dudes. XD

How significant would his equipment be though? Just there for snark? Or does she do stuff as well?

More like, "Huehuehue this will be far superior than your plebeian trash-tier machines. Move aside."

Shoshi is pretty much just a lackey. She'll do whatever he needs more often than not, but not without some backtalking/sass. She can pilot a mecha about as well as he can, but her science skills are pretty much reserved to, "I'm not sure how to do this, time to read the instructions." Her people and living skills are far superior than Cazeron's, however.

Out of curiousity....how are his piloting skills the first place? Is he like...military-tier dude? Or does he simply know the basics, and has some experience with not shooting himself in the foot?

Also, no to particle accelerator.

No to time travelling particle thingies.

How effective are the plates at deflecting projectiles from far away? Is its effective dependent on the mass/speed of the projectile? Or not?

I think the particle accelerator is really nothing fancy, just with too much technobabble. Particle beams are one of the likely weapon types in general. I'd like to point out that the MASER acronym is used incorrectly, and generally is specifically to refer to lasers emitting in the miceowave range. There certainly are gamma-ray lasers, though.

These set of questions/answers should help with tons of stuff, so I'll put it OOCly rather than PMly.

1). What would you say would be the "normal" galactic technological levels, so I do not make anything super over-powered?
Normal galactic tech levels, in relation to the Galactic Empire, would be...Faster than Light travel, wormhole creation, reactors that create artificial suns, mechas that are so large that they can house planets, missiles that go into the past because sweg, humans who have become totally online...basically, everything is so God-like it's pretty much all in the realm of WTFmagic.

Normal galactic tech levels, in relation to the Malstraza Solar System would be...mechas are common enough to be used effectively for work. 3D printing is extremely common, and a lot of things are pretty much automated. Railguns and plasma weaponry are both top-tier. Nanobot technology exists, but they are incapable of replicating, and are extremely expensive to manufacture. Cyborgs exist. It's possible to save any life, as long as you have the proper facilities. Diseases are pretty much no problem at all. AIs are smart enough to be able to develop personalities.

They still can't bend space and time though, and the main problem is that they lack massive amounts of resources, compared to the Empire.

2). What am I limited to?
I would prefer if whatever you made/had wasn't super high-tech and stronk. Things are going to get destroyed, lost, stolen, sold, or whatever else in the RP, and it costs money to replace/repair them. Basically, I guess, the trade offs would be something like...

If you have a super unique, super powerful mech, prepare to be eating cup noodles for the next thirty years after paying for repairs for it.

Basically, I'd like to have a sense of 'levelling up', by using spare cash to upgrade your rides or weaponry, instead of 'levelling down', by having to get scrubbier replacements for missing parts on your battle-scarred mechs.

---

In relation to technology levels of your own planet, it'd be nice if they had some area that they neglected, because they dedicated all their attention into specializing in something else. Generally though...
No absolute control of time/space. As in, no warpgates or FTL, pls.
No 'perfect' immortality, either through cyborging or uploading your brain onto the web.
No giant walking-fortress cities/islands/continents.
No 'scientifically creating nothing from something' or stuff like that.

After that, everything's up to discussion.
Use this as a reference, maybe. I really dun wanna have to try to balance too many high tech thingies.

And the main thing that I dislike about particle accelerators is that it's matter. At near the speed of light. Lasers are fine, because they are dealt with by shields. But particle blasts or whatever would bypass most of the shields. Heck, I already stated a few times that railguns and plasma weaponry were top-tier stuff, and particle accelerators sound like it'd give both a run of their money.

Self-trained, definitely not military-tier.

No particle accelerator? What kind of sci-fi setting is this?! xD
You realize a particle stream (like an ion cannon, for example) are pretty commonplace as futuristic substitutes for kinetic weapons (also that a particle accelerator is a kinetic weapon itself)?

Do you object to a really smart supercomputer being able to vaguely predict the future within a few seconds range?

It's utterly ineffective against lasters/light-based weapons, but yes it works better against smaller projectiles. If it's going slow but really big, it doesn't do too much either. It's mainly meant for enemy particle weapons and smaller bullets.

I think the particle accelerator is really nothing fancy, just with too much technobabble. Particle beams are one of the likely weapon types in general. I'd like to point out that the MASER acronym is used incorrectly, and generally is specifically to refer to lasers emitting in the miceowave range. There certainly are gamma-ray lasers, though.

Ah yea you're right. Meant to say Graser.

Actually a particle accelerator IS a plasma weapon, if we want to get technical. It's firing a beam of charged particles, usually ions. Which has already been said. I usually class particle beams right there with lasers in the realm of "directed-energy weapons" and so if it's shields trump energy weapons, shields work on particle beams, never mind that they're technically a beam of matter. That the beams' particles move near the speed of light is actually not the big concern, it's more the current of the beam that relates to the energy it can impart into a target. The actual kinetic energy of individual ions really isn't too relevant compared to the overall intensity of the things.

I'm actually not sure you've described how shields work, but I think the problem here is that the weapons aren't being classed at all, so that makes it difficult. While there's no need to consider real science as long as we keep internal consistency within the setting, I think there's just enough of a grey area to run into issues like this.

Well, a stream of neutrons certainly wouldn't be a plasma weapon. It possess neither charge nor an electrical current to it (regardless of if plasma is also generally neutral). A particle accelerator as a kinetic weapon is properly termed as the purpose of the weapon is for mass-possessing particles to impart their kinetic energy on something. Anything besides light traveling at near-light speeds would impart an enormous kinetic energy to its target.

Asuras. This is a sci-fi RP in what's the equivalent of a third-world country. The Malstraza kiddos are essentially hicks. I've been pushing for non-OP for a long ass time here, and honestly? Why not just use guns? Instead of particle accelerators? Not every mech is so fast that they can outrun bullets, and for those that do, you use missiles! Or lasers!

Alternatively, if they can make it for a mech, they can probably massproduce it. In which case, why isn't everybody getting particle accelerators, instead of normal guns?

And the thing is...your machine isn't predicting things. You went out of your way to say that its future self is sending vague messages back into the past. Essentially time travel. If you had gone and said something like...the machine goes to analyze past actions of the mecha and makes predictions of their next moves based off that, I'd be fine with it. But it had to be tachyons. XD

Seriously though.

I'm getting fucking tired of all this high-tech-sounding sci-fi stuff, when I made a setting that's meant to dissuade it.

I should probably take a break.

Also, I was working on weaponry and such. I'm just still working on it.

Lets drop the testosterone levels a little, and listen to some peaceful music.

I'm just gonna go with "well, it worked in Gundam." for any tech-level questions, as it'd probably do the trick as a rule of thumb.

Well if we've got too many scientists and the tech is too much, I'll just restart then.

So sleepy...zzz...

More things have been added to the Index. Tell me if I didn't make it clear enough there that Plasma/Railguns are the most you can go in terms of stronk powa. Also shed some light onto the witchcraft that is shielding.

Second post has been updated, in a way, I guess? Sounds more like a rant, but meh.

Wow, I take a small break and you guys have fun without me.. sounds like nature I guess.
No particle accelerator? What kind of sci-fi setting is this?! xD
A particle accelerator basically gets a bunch of particles, then accelerates them at a very fast speed.
Since Energy = Mass * Velocity ^2, we can see that a particle has a very small mass of the object coupled with the fast velocity would equal a staggering number to be sure. Now, being a projectile, they have a small surface area, therefore they would have a very deep penetration value. The thing to notice would be that the energy needed to stop the projectile's force would be equal to the force used to launch the particles in the first place. Considering that things get friction as they move, causing heat, the now plasma particles would melt through all armor within seconds, regardless of the density. Does that really sound fair?

I'm not a scientist, but at least I can assume just one of these guns would be cause for war in the first place, since what would stop someone from making orbital bombardment systems for particles? In space, things in motion stay in motion unless acted upon from another force, thus you would either need half the projection energy to deflect the particles, which would be hard to do anyway, or to have an energy field of half or equal force of energy to stop the particles. That is just for space, lets take that further, and add gravity into the mix. Lets say it has reached the ozone layer, and is now also being pulled down by the planet's gravity. Since moving energy does have mass, though as infinitesimal as it is, the energy action upon it that is carrying it shows us its velocity. Now, in this theory, I speculate the particles will pass through everything until the forces acted upon it are equal to or grater then the ones pushing them.

This sounds terrible to me, what say you guys? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The actual energies of a particle accelerator are very low when compared to military weapons. I do not want to bore people with the details but even a really heavy particle that was accelerated to half the speed of light has less energy than the bullet of a handgun. You would need to have larger masses to get truly devastating weapons. And to power those weapons, you would need an incredible amount of energy. In other words, as long as we use weapons of a similar scale, or in this case, the mecha scale, all weapons can be assumed to cap out at the destructive capacity of a mech.

Or to put it simply: Mechs do not have enough power to obliterate cities regardless of what weapon you equip to them, because their powerplants would not be able to handle it.

Now let us get back on track and have fun without invoking copious amounts of science, shall we?

But I like copious amounts of science.

I would also like to point out that if anything goes fast enough, then nuclear fusion kicks off and boom. Just saying.

But just sitting around and accepting things leave no room for getting creative...

But just sitting around and accepting things leave no room for getting creative...
What? That basically lets you get as creative as you want without having to deal with things like "rules" and "laws" and shit like that, aside from the tier-rating set by the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.