Let the Stars Fall Down OOC

Are you making a female or a male? Appearance-wise, of course.

• MAN MODU ENGAGED

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Watashi wa kawaii idoru shoujo desuuuuuuuu

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspiration and clever tricks. Do you know what happens when you nuke a hurricane?

Well, yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a shortcut to one-shotting almost every living thing on the planet that can be harmed by radiation.

If you plan on using a nuclear weapon, may I suggest not? What happens if we get stuck with tactical missions or ones we need to be pinpoint with? Just blowing everything up then will not be of use, thus you would either be sidelined or forced to use another mech/go out without one.

hurricane?
When you make a hurricane you stir things up, but the GM did say that it was not trying to make things too hard, but if you want, I can supply ways that can make even radiation a moot point if you really want to go there. Physics, the study of matter and energy, basically says NOTHING is all powerful that everything does have a hard counter to it. But as it is, I was asked to not rely on copious amounts of facts and science, so we could just say that nuclear fission is mostly forgotten the further away your planet is? Survival is one hell of a distraction to keeping information.

When you make a hurricane you stir things up, but the GM did say that it was not trying to make things too hard, but if you want, I can supply ways that can make even radiation a moot point if you really want to go there. Physics, the study of matter and energy, basically says NOTHING is all powerful that everything does have a hard counter to it. But as it is, I was asked to not rely on copious amounts of facts and science, so we could just say that nuclear fission is mostly forgotten the further away your planet is? Survival is one hell of a distraction to keeping information.
I wasn't gonna do it, I was just giving an example. And I know physics, trust me. Though I have no idea how nuclear anything stands in this RP. Normally, I'd agree, but the mechs would need a hell of a power source...

Argument? I thought it was a discussion over nuclear feasibility. My apologies for misunderstanding.

It isn't an argument... I don't think so, anyway, it's just a pre-emptive move on my part in case it turns into one. I'm happy to keep this going via PM if you're finding it interesting.

Let me contribute to whatever was going on!

What can I say? I've never played it, but it's everywhere and annoying me by this point.

Ignorance does not mean something is a lack of science, personally, I found it cute, but the message it portrayed was not that clear. @Skyswimsky may you please enlighten me since I do not comprehend it?

I'm fairly certain that it was supposed to be a joke.

Because you two were talking about nuclear stuff.

And that song's name has Nuclear Fusion or whatever in it, as well as a character who's ability is to do nuclear fission magically.

So yeah. Time to go bitch at Zomb's CS.

I knew it. Touhou and sense haven't fused in centuries.

You win the internet if you know what I'm referencing.

It's a bit old ,but if you guys want Real Science behind particle accelerators, I can go into them in some detail. I know at least the basics which would be relevant here. I doubt it'd be something anyone really wants to get into, because the way stuff actually works is usually a wet blanket on soft SF entertainment, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to talk about it in a PM or something.

That being said, despite being a science person, I think the best approach to all this stuff is generally to have some straightforward "this is how it works" guidelines that eliminate "this looks overpowered" from being a problem because it's all essentially treated the same, no matter what fluffy description you use. Complain that it's limiting all you want, but such rules actually set you free because you can describe your stuff in whatever terms you like. Like, a lot of the recent stuff could be so easily resolved if there were actual dice and rules and such, though that might just be my own opinion due to tabletop.

I'm also really not sure where this entire RP sits in terms of how soft or hard the SF. It seems pretty soft, but some of the discussion seems to lean it toward harder approaches some of the time, or otherwise there's a lot of weird minutia that probably aren't important to the aim of getting a good story put together. It isn't bad, just strange. Like the whole thing about what a particle beam should be. If it's soft SF it's just a type or class of energy weapon and we're done.

Sorry to rant a bit on my own, but some of this stuff's been nagging at me so I had to get it off my chest. I'm sure not all of that made much sense or was easy to follow, either.

Sorry to rant a bit on my own, but some of this stuff's been nagging at me so I had to get it off my chest. I'm sure not all of that made much sense or was easy to follow, either.
I understood you, and would love to discuss things in pm with you if you want. I agree with your points, and science does limit itself in it's own ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.