Iwaku's Very Special Fundraiser - Starting Friday the 13th!

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going down and I'm taking Asmo with me! >:[

The staff had no saying on this fundraiser idea. Diana announced to us around the 18th of October that this fundraiser would definitely happen (in a security case mind you, so some staff members might not even have seen it and would then have known around the 31st of October when she told us about it again). She had already decided on it and she was not asking for our opinions, so we did not give it. She is an admin and as admin she has the right to do whatever she wants with her own site. We as staff members are allowed to advice her from doing something, but ultimately the choice is hers and this was something she would have done no matter how much we would have advised against it. She's an old bird, she knew that this would give some backlash, she knew why people would be against this, we did not have to tell her that.

We did not collectively agree to this. Staff is just as split on this as all other members are. Some just doesn't give a shit and aren't talking about it here nor in the private staff lounge. Some have raised their concern or disdain for this fundraiser. Others have happily joined in for reasons only they themselves know. Yes, most of the staff joined in during the word guessing game, but that was because we, just like the members, were fired up cause word guessing is fun. o_o But if you take a look at this thread you will only find one staff member whom has seemed to openly agree with the fundraiser, one whom understands why this is happening but would prefer it if Asmo was just perma banned, and the rest has either not commented or stayed away from talking about their feelings for this fundraiser and ended up just joking around with members instead. (Note that I'm only talking about the staff and NOT admins or CVs. CVs did not know anything about this before Diana published it for all members.)

This childish behavior is a Diana, Tegan and Asmo activity and had nothing to do with the staff above us knowing about it shortly before it went public. We are simply participants in this game if we choose to participate, just like any other member. It will not affect how we do our job nor will it give the staff the power of outing members in the future. And seeing as Diana has never lied to us before as far as I know, I feel it safe to assume this will be the only time this sort of thing ever happens. Whether this is the correct way to do it, if it's morally right or wrong or if Diana has fucked up royally is another matter. I am just here to say that staff as a whole was not involved in this. Whether a few individuals were involved in the planning, we do not know, but as far as our records in the staff office goes, no individual staff member was involved in the planning for this event.

As Diana said:

Whether this is right or not can be discussed. Whether individual staff members agree or not is irrelevant. Diana chose to do this on her own with the blessing of Tegan while Asmo was fully aware of it and not getting butthurt over it (even though his dramatic posts might lead people to believe otherwise).

Note: I am not condemning Diana's actions nor do I make any statement of agreeing with her on this matter. I have conflicting opinions on this matter and can understand both sides of the argument. I do remove myself from any future discussion about the morality of this fundraiser as I have taken no side and won't defend a side I won't can't completely agree with.

I was involved in planning this? I gotta stop drinking and internetting.

Yeah, I was aware it was happening, but nobody asked me how I felt about it, or for my blessing. I just never complained when I heard about. Because I thought it might be something funny and people on the site would have a good time with it.

BOY WAS I WRONG

Tegan....

......WHY?

Because I'm getting the impression that a lot of people in here are burning bridges for no reason, because they're operating largely on false assumptions.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Wicked
SEE ASMUUUUUU, this is what happens when people don't do things BY THE LAWS OF SOCIAL DYNAMICS and forget to tread carefully within the confines of the moral public. >:[ Now I am the New-Asmo and my destiny to be run out of the site with pitch-forks has been ordained.

GRUMPY HAS TO BE NEW DIANA.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick
Instead of dividing the site over a fundraiser (where all parties participating are consenting) and publicly declaring your disdain for This Member, That Member, you can follow these two easy steps of being a goddamn grown up faced with a moral decision.

"This fundraiser is great!"
Donate monies. Get on with your life.

"This fundraiser is not great!"
Don't donate monies. Get on with your life.​

And what about MY life?

People forget that Iwaku is NOT a democracy.

The staff are there to offer counsel and advice and even though Diana totally should have consulted them first, this decision is her prerogative.

As members, we have the right to react and express how we feel about the decisions made by the administration. They will be noted and studied and will certainly affect the process; but in the end, that decision is Diana's to make.

Iwaku is a benevolent dictatorship and the big cheese is a crybaby. But that crybaby has been running RP sites for over a decade. The staff trusts her decisions even when they disagree with them, maybe the members should start doing that as well.

PS. IT'S A GOD DAMN JOKE. WE'VE BANNED ASMO AND A BUNCH OF OTHER MEMBERS BEFORE FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES AND IT WAS AWESOME! STOP MAKING ME DEFEND THE ADMIN WHO FIRED ME, YA BUNCHA BABIES :E

Fo' reals. The ones causing so much strife are the members sending out angry PMs, stating publicly their disdain of other members who may or may not even be involved (which is ironically what got Asmo into this fundraiser) and generally throwing tantrums.

Seriously, that's it. If people chill out and follow my easy steps to being a goddamn grown up in the previous post, we'll get through the next week without alienating entire swathes of the community and making me wish Grumpy were Admin for just one day.

Fo' reals. The ones causing so much strife are the members sending out angry PMs
*Is the one whose gotten the most public response for being against this so far*

*Has not sent a single angry PM to anyone*

Great assuming there.

Eh I'm on the side that says Ban him. A) It's temporary, He gets a shot. usually when the ban hammer falls here it's permanent, this time it's temporary and therefore the bugger gets a second chance. B) He has agreed to it. Unlike Gwazi Senpai's assumption I believe Asmodeus thought it over carefully before agreeing to this. I certainly know I would if it meant helping something I love yet it meant having to leave for likely a considerable amount of time, or at least the risk thereof. C) He apparently has trolled quite a bit, and done enough for a perma ban. I have yet to interact with him, though remember seeing a few posts early on in my days here, none trolling, and whether you like it or not, breaking the rules has consequences. Plus this let's people address any grievances they had with him, rather than let it fester and possibly have a new start.

I was involved in planning this? I gotta stop drinking and internetting.

Yeah, I was aware it was happening, but nobody asked me how I felt about it, or for my blessing. I just never complained when I heard about. Because I thought it might be something funny and people on the site would have a good time with it.

BOY WAS I WRONG
I'm sorry, I got the wrong impression D:

Diana chose to do this on her own while Tegan and Asmo was fully aware of it and not getting butthurt over it.

Better? :D

What Dianerp wanted to do:

z7Zn9AS.jpg

What always happens when Dianerp announces things:

T75JhtT.jpg
LIKE I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH CLEARER SEIJI AND OROCHI COULD HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN WITH DESCRIBING WHAT THIS FUNDRAISER IS. And I'll never forgive you for that balloon picture Seiji, jesus fucking christ.

But if we're doing diagrams'n infographical-type shit-- I'm in!

The kids who're taking this shit seriously in the face of a good chunk of other members' guffawing and even in orochi's clear-as-day-shining-through-crystals use of pictures to describe what's happening:
tumblr_lrvdocij7d1qdmv0so1_500.gif

The kids who think this is serious but love schadenfreude:
tumblr_n7fv8omaYS1s0my1wo1_250.gif

The other kids who realize this is a joke to raise money for Iwaku's continued operation (amongst other things that needed tending to)
giphy.gif

The rest of us
minions.gif

I told myself I was going to stay out of this, there goes that resolution . . .

Anyway, yes this was Diana's idea and as @redblood said staff was not consulted.
However in this case my personal opinion for or against is irrelevant.

I TRUST @Diana to do what's best for the site and knowing what I do of @Asmodeus I TRUST that he would not be on board if the idea were terrible.

The ban is TEMPORARY the time-length to be determined by the donations (as I understand it)

to quote Tegan

Instead of dividing the site over a fundraiser (where all parties participating are consenting) and publicly declaring your disdain for This Member, That Member, you can follow these two easy steps of being a goddamn grown up faced with a moral decision.

"This fundraiser is great!"
Donate monies. Get on with your life.

"This fundraiser is not great!"
Don't donate monies. Get on with your life.​

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Wicked
B) He has agreed to it. Unlike Gwazi Senpai's assumption
This isn't meant as an argument, but rather to clarify my earlier point.

I'm well aware that Asmo probably thought this through.
My issues are mainly profiteering off what is meant to be an Admin's usual responsibility and the public shaming aspect of it.
Even if he agreed with it, that can be tough on anyone to be paraded in public as a villain, and have people pay money to get rid of you.

I fully get and understand why he should be banned. And honestly even though I personally am fine with Asmo I wouldn't be complaining if Diana had simply banned him.
It's the method and execution of it that I'm taking issue with.

(And now by extension, the people flocking to shame, ridicule or insult anyone who takes issue with Diana's decision).

Reactions: Mid
No one's forcing you to join in, Gwazi.

I'm strongly suggesting you stop being a massive fucking buzzkill, though.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Jorick
Status
Not open for further replies.