Iwaku's Very Special Fundraiser - Starting Friday the 13th!

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it make everyone feel better if I shared Asmo's ban time along with him? O__O

Reactions: Saito Hajime
britney.gif

Would it make everyone feel better if I shared Asmo's ban time along with him? O__O
You mean the amount of time he'll end up getting banned once the money's been raised?

You mean the amount of time he'll end up getting banned once the money's been raised?

That is what I mean yes!

I don't feel a made a bad decision here with the fundraiser, and it's going to happen as is. It was the best choice (at least in my opinion!).

But obviously it's controversial to people on some pretty big moral levels, no matter which side of the fence people are on. o___o If it means people would feel better, I can take my justice pie right along side Asmo and serve the full ban sentence with him.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Wicked
This isn't meant as an argument, but rather to clarify my earlier point.

I'm well aware that Asmo probably thought this through.
My issues are mainly profiteering off what is meant to be an Admin's usual responsibility and the public shaming aspect of it.
Even if he agreed with it, that can be tough on anyone to be paraded in public as a villain, and have people pay money to get rid of you.

I fully get and understand why he should be banned. And honestly even though I personally am fine with Asmo I wouldn't be complaining if Diana had simply banned him.
It's the method and execution of it that I'm taking issue with.

(And now by extension, the people flocking to shame, ridicule or insult anyone who takes issue with Diana's decision).
Well While I think the ones blasting the character on both sides are equally being dumb my stance remains, Now let me ask you this: How much would you need to mean to the people in charge if they're willing to give you a second shot, Yet you have pissed off plenty of people, evident by the fact this exists in the first place? This is a means of punishment, fundraiseing, bit of laughs for some and finally a fresh start for Asmodeus. Or would you rather the thing fester, him to eventually get banned outright, and have no chance at redemption? This is at least how I see things.

• Thank You
That is what I mean yes!

I don't feel a made a bad decision here with the fundraiser, and it's going to happen as is. It was the best choice (at least in my opinion!).

But obviously it's controversial to people on some pretty big moral levels, no matter which side of the fence people are on. o___o If it means people would feel better, I can take my justice pie right along side Asmo and serve the full ban sentence with him.
It would help people know after the fact how long he's gone for, which might help calm people down.

Though frankly/honestly speaking?
From what I gather most people's issue with this (along with mine) seem's to be the execution, not the act. So it's effect would likely be limited.

(Before others jump on me, no I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to be honest for everyone's benefit).

That being said though, although I still strongly disagree with this the gesture is appreciated. :)
Well While I think the ones blasting the character on both sides are equally being dumb my stance remains, Now let me ask you this: How much would you need to mean to the people in charge if they're willing to give you a second shot, Yet you have pissed off plenty of people, evident by the fact this exists in the first place? This is a means of punishment, fundraiseing, bit of laughs for some and finally a fresh start for Asmodeus. Or would you rather the thing fester, him to eventually get banned outright, and have no chance at redemption? This is at least how I see things.
I understand Diana's reasoning behind this and that it's paved with good intentions.

But it's not as if Asmo's only way of a second chance is with a fundraiser.
Temp Ban's are commonly used thing on forum sites. That can be done without the publicity, money making and watching people pay for you to leave.

No! Be responsible and slave for iwaku 24/7 without sleep until Asmo is back! We can't survive without you! Vay will kill us all if you're gone D:

• Love
It would help people know after the fact how long he's gone for, which might help calm people down.

Though frankly/honestly speaking?
From what I gather most people's issue with this (along with mine) seem's to be the execution, not the act. So it's effect would likely be limited.

(Before others jump on me, no I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to be honest for everyone's benefit).

That being said though, although I still strongly disagree with this the gesture is appreciated. :)

I understand Diana's reasoning behind this and that it's paved with good intentions.

But it's not as if Asmo's only way of a second chance is with a fundraiser.
Temp Ban's are commonly used thing on forum sites. That can be done without the publicity, money making and watching people pay for you to leave.
Though my friend my friend let me ask you: would the animosity not remain if the community were not involved? True this isn't the only way and Temp bans are common place, yet I've yet to see one here and if exclusively the admins that unleashed it, then no catharsis for those who've had grievances with Asmodeus. Apologies could be made of course but people's anger could cause them to not accept it, and animosity remains.

Though my friend my friend let me ask you: would the animosity not remain if the community were not involved? True this isn't the only way and Temp bans are common place, yet I've yet to see one here and if exclusively the admins that unleashed it, then no catharsis for those who've had grievances with Asmodeus. Apologies could be made of course but people's anger could cause them to not accept it, and animosity remains.
Sorry but I'm a bit lost as to what you're trying to say here. :/
People get banned from Iwaku a lot, Kakumei being a recent example.
No one tends to complain about not being part of that decision process, that's an Admin decision.

Urban Dictionary said:
white knighting
In forum parlance, it means rushing to the aid of another poster for whatever reason. An accusation typically reserved for when a poster is being hammered by another poster(s) and the accused leaps in to defend them, usually without thinking things through as to why the person is being attacked.

@Gen. Gwazi Senpai

Dude, you're projecting feelings onto Asmo that you only assume he has. You've been throwing around things like "he COULD be thinking negative after negative thought" without confirming this to be true. You don't know Asmo; you're not his friend, and you haven't been his close confidante (and I'm pretty sure you haven't read his diary, which I imagine he definitely has). Meanwhile, Tegan- his wife- and Diana- his good friend and coworker for years- think this is appropriate and will not hurt him.

It is POSSIBLE for friends- good friends, who know each other's boundaries- to tease each other and give each other a hard time in good fun. Boundaries differ from one person to the next. Just because YOU wouldn't enjoy it doesn't mean that other people wouldn't take it in stride.

But regardless, this is what is happening. Either donate or don't. Either quit, or stay. You have to do what you think is right. But you've said your piece, so learn when to forever hold your peace.

Becoming a martyr is dumb. While I disagree with the fundraiser for reasons I will not debate, the benefits of your ongoing involvement and role in community management far outweigh any single individual's sense of justice.

Sorry but I'm bit lost as to what you're trying to say here. :/
People get banned from Iwaku a lot, Kakumei being a recent example.
No one tends to complain about not being part of that decision process, that's an Admin decision.
{Sigh} What I'm saying is this: It's a chance for him to remain on the site(after his time, of course) without having to deal with fallout from his previous actions, as this fundraiser provides the opportunity to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.