Impossible Love (Completed)

Re: Impossible Love

Efron stood silent. He was afraid but couldn't show any fear. He had to be a normal Frenchman. It was the only way to protect himself. The soldiers and Emilee exchanged a few words. One walked up to Efron, checked his body, and left. Efron sighed when they did and sat down on a seat. He put his head in his hands and couldn't think straight. They had to leave. Escape Sete, even if just for the time being. It was the only way. He couldn't think about a plan, he couldn't think about anything.

It wasn't long before the first group of soldiers left. For the moment it was quiet. The eye of the storm. "Emilee, Emille I'm sorry I froze. We need to leave, we need to escape."

They continued to ravage the rest of the town and Emilee sat with her head in her hands. Safety was lost; Sete was hell, and no family would be safe from the clutches of the Germans. Soon they'd return again and Emilee could only hope that they wouldn't discover Efron's true heritage. She knew that they had a way of pulling out the truth though, and the thought made her shiver. Emilee's shoulders began to tremble and she dropped the gun to the floor.

Edward moved out from underneath the desk and picked it up. He gave it back to Efron who stowed it against his hip. She could feel the men standing over her, but she didn't want to look up, fearing she'd break down if she did.
Safety; it was all gone, no longer existed. Her safe haven had been shattered, all sense of belonging and happiness washing away with the tide. Soon, the soldiers would be back, and they wouldn't settle for anything less than blood.

Emilee felt frantic and she shook her head, "where a-are we going to go? They're everywhere, now! There's no place to run, n-no place to hide.
The young woman sunk to the floor and wrapped her arms around her legs, "I-I'm so tired of r-r-r-unning..."

"There is a service tunnel the runs out of Sete. It leads to some fields. You can go there." Edward spoke depressingly. "I am staying here in Sete, where I belong." Efron tried to debate but Edward would have nothing of it. Efron decided it would be there best plan. He ran upstairs and grabbed the most he could, including money. Once her was back down stairs he picked up Emilee and hugged her. "Come on, honey, we have to leave. The tunnel will save us." He kissed her several times and he carried her outside. With her in his hands, he ran the direction Edward set out for them. There were patrols of soldiers and Efron did his best to avoid them.

Eventually they had made it to the tunnel. Several otehrs had already been running into it. It obviously had not been discovered yet. This brought Efron relief. He set Emilee down. He hugged her once again, squeezing tightly. "We'll be safe Emilee, I love you." As she started down towards the stairs gunshots were heard and Efron turned to see soldiers had discovered the tunnel. Efron had to think quick. "Everyone down in the tunnel, now!" He shouted and the last few made there way in. Emilee stared on as Efron did not enter with them. "Emilee, I will find you. I don't know when, and I don't know where. I will find you. I love you Emilee, don't ever forget that. Now go! Run!" He closed the door and pulled out his sidearm, but before he could fire a bullet flew towards him, hitting him in the arm. He dropped his gun and then was shot again in the leg. Efron screamed out in pain and fell over. Soldiers shouted and then started making there way over.

For several minutes, Emilee banged on the door, screaming for Efron to let her out. There was no way that she was going to allow him to stay behind, where he would no doubt be hurt, sent away... or killed. The mere of thought of losing him caused Emilee's throat to tighten up.
Eventually her hands got bruised and sore and she sobbed as she cradled them into her chest. The walls of the tunnel were so thick that she couldn't hear what was going on on the other side. She imagined that they couldn't hear her, either.

It was several minutes before someone grabbed her by the arm. Emilee, too exhausted to fight, allowed them to pull her up and into a pair of bulky arms. Someone were carrying her as they ran, running to the other end of the tunnel. Emilee didn't care where they were going or who this person was - for all she cared they could could be a German soldier, set on killing her. She didn't care. Efron was gone... she was sure of it. She had heard his screams of agony as he closed the door, shots ringing out. Emilee sobbed into the person's cold leather jacket, crying out Efron's name and a bunch of jumbled prayers for him.

Efron awoke in a dark room barely lit by a small lamp. His head was hurting so he imagine he was knocked out by a soldier. The pain of the gunshots had gone away and Efron noticed they were bandaged. It took awhile before a person walked into the room. It was what looked like an officer. He wore attire different from the rest of the soldiers. He sat down and set down a mug. He took a sip and set it down once more. "English....it took me years to learn it. You speak it? I like this language." Efron was reluctant to speak but decided to, just to oblige. "Yes, yes I do."

"Good! Good! This is very good. So, you lived in Sete. Well you live in Sete. Very beautiful place. I am sorry things had to happen like that, strictly orders. As you can see our doctors fixed you up very well, no? I am willing to offer you a deal. You disclose the location of those people you let into the tunnel and I will let you go, no strings attached. You will not be harmed leaving the base and you can return to Sete. We have left the city and you will not have to worry about German interference ever again. So, what do you say?"

Efron's eyes widened. In almost an instant he answered, "I-I...no I do not know where they went." "Uhh, I see. You do not know where they are? Now sir, I can obviously tell you are lying and I don't want this to get ugly. Please sure, just let me know where they are. It's so simple." Efron shook his head and the man became much more serious.

"No listen you lowlife piece of trash, I will make sure you go through hell and back twice if you don't give me what I want."

Efron again shook his head.

The tunnel led them to a small town near Sete - Emilee didn't even know the name of it when they left. Emilee had always promised that if anything where to happen, she would return to their hometown on the border. Praying and hoping that he would still be alive and well, Emilee had no choice but to return. The man who had carried her through the tunnel had a small family of his own, but they had parted ways quickly. He had family in Eastern Europe and they would soon be traveling there. The family had offered to take a broken Emilee with them, but when she explained that she had left someone behind, they allowed her to remain in France.

As a German, the traveling young woman hadn't rose much suspicion when she traveled across France. Accustomed to traveling in the back of boxcars, Emilee had opted to save what little money she did have and travel that way. It took her at least a week to get back to the town. It was nearly exactly how she remembered it, and Emilee's heart ached for Efron. She needed here; he was her rock, her beacon in the storm. Everytime she thought of him tears teemed in her eyes and her heart beat madly. She needed to feel his hands on her skin again, his heart beating against her and his smooth, deep voice. She held herself and sobbed at the memory.

Naturally, Emilee did not return to her father's cafe. Much of the inner town was corrupted by the Germans, their power now stretching the border and into the town. Instead the young woman traveled to the outskirts where she knew her brothers and mother lived. After everything, she knew that her mother would love her profusely.

Efron had gone through many weeks of torture. His body was covered in scars and cuts. He laid in a cell blood stained on the floor. Today wouldn't be another day of torture for him. The officer who met him daily to ask the same question walked in and kicked Efron. "Get up you fool. Today is a special day. No torture, no. We feel that it has been too long since the attack that the people have most likely already fled. I guess you are "noble" for this. Anyways, instead of beating you mindlessly, we decided to do the right thing." The man walked out of the cell as two soldiers entered taking Efron by his arms. "We are going to kill you."

They dragged Efron through the halls, his vision blurring. He knew what was to happen but couldn't fight it. They took him into a small yard which led out into the small town the German's had their base in. Efron hadn't seen the light in months so his eyes had a hard times adjusting. Emilee had never left his mind and his promise he made her was stained into his brain. He wasn't going to die today. He wouldn't let it happen. Efron was going to find Emilee and be reunited. It was his only drive in life.

The soldiers tied Efron and a few other men up to poles. Before he could even see who was with his, he was blindfolded. Efron had no idea how to escape this. He prayed his hardest and jumped when the first shots began. One man was now dead and he didn't know who was next. Another shot fired. Eventually Efron felt the presence of another man by him. This was it. Maybe he couldn't escape. This could be Efron's finaly moment in life.

He closed his eyes and held his breathe, but right before he whispered, "I love you Emilee."

Several gunshots were heard after.

Emilee stared at herself in the long, full length mirror. Her reflection stared back, normally light blue eyes heavy with depression and sadness. Huge bruises hung underneath her eyes, the product of lack of sleep, and her cheeks had lost a bit of their roundness. Behind her, Emilee's childhood bedroom reflected into the mirror. The walls were covered in little posters of her favourite cartoon characters, and a small vase of fresh roses sat on the nightstand. A few new pictures littered the surfaces, reminders of the man that Emilee remained devoted to.

Her mother had insisted that Efron was dead. Of course, she was consoling and sympathetic to the young woman but insisted that she move on. She had even tried to set her up on a few dates in the beginning. Emilee appreciated the attempts, but her love belonged to one man and one only.

Emilee rested her hands on her belly. His baby. A little piece of Efron would forever be hers. If they never saw each other again at least she would have this beautiful baby. It had taken her a good month to fully realize that she was pregnant. After she had missed her cycle and her belly began to bloat, she realized what was happening. At first Emilee was upset, afraid she'd never be able to have a child that belonged to her lost love. But the idea rapidly began to grow on her and her heart swelled. A child, just like they had always dreamed.

Emilee hadn't told her family yet and was fearful to do so. Her father came home on Sundays and she knew he'd never want her to have a baby out of wedlock. Still, Emilee was certain she wanted this baby... and no one, not a soul, was going to take it away from her.

Efron was dead, he was sure of it. It was at least quick and painless. It wasn't until the sound of his name did he realize that he was not. "Efron....Efron!" Efron's eyes shot open. "Emilee?" "No, it's Edward. Are you alright Efron?" Efron eventually got a hold of where he was. It was a room, one he had never been in. "Wh-where am I?" "Pinet, you're in Pinet. It's a good distance from Sete. I overheard the German's talking about where they were taking you back in Sete. You are one lucky man Efron. I informed some American agents. They ambushed the base seconds before you were killed it seems. I've never seen such a miracle. You are badly scarred though. What the hell did they do to you?"

Efron sat up and winced in pain. "I don't want to talk about it. Are we safe?" Edward smiled and placed a hand on him. "We are my boy. Pinet is completely under the supervision of American forces. Heavily guarded. Efron sighed in relief but now his focus was on Emilee. It had been at least 4 months since they last saw each other. His heart ached. Did she move on? Surely she was told he was dead. He should have been, twice already. The promise he made though, he could still keep it. He did not know where she was though. Would she return to Sete? Maybe a letter came? He didn't know. All Efron knew was that his love was fierce. He heart cried for his love.

"Do you know anything about Emilee?" He voice became hushed. Edward's face became cold. "The last I heard about her was that she left somewhere on a train. That was at least 3 months ago. I'm sorry Efron." Efron stared at the floor. He didn't know what to do. He easily could have lost his love forever.

Emilee's body was shaking and big, hot tears rolled down her face. Her mother sat on the edge of the bed, dabbing away the sweat on her forehead and wiping away those tears. Emilee wanted to push her away, tell her to get away; she hated the woman for not standing up to Wolfe.
Recalling the conversation they had had in the back garden, Emilee's blood ran cold.

"You will not have that man's child!" her father bellowed, his grip tightening on the hoe in his hand.
Emilee narrowed her eyes at him, resting her hand protectively against her small belly. It was only about three months along, but considering her slender frame, her belly protruded slightly.
"Muti was not meant to tell you!" she told him.
Wolfe rolled his eyes and discarded the hoe to the back of the shed. Soon he was looking in on her, and it wasn't long before his hand had wrapped around her upper arm, gripping tightly. "You're just a little girl, Emilee. If you think that you can keep anything from me, you are sorely wrong. And if I have it my way, that man's child won't be inside of you for much longer."

She had fought with him, screamed and raged and demanded that he let her keep the child. But Wolfe was much stronger than the young girl, both physically and mentally. Eventually she had slumped in her room, refusing to eat and sobbing that life was unfair. She had lost the love of her life and now she was about to love the only part of him she had left.

The doctor was rough and crude as he fiddled underneath the blanket that was draped over her opened legs. Emilee was absolutely mortified and stared up at the ceiling, her vision blurred with heavy tears. He was touching her down there, manipulating her body and probing it. First it was just her fingers, and she stiffened. Then a cold piece of metal was inserted and she screamed, shaking her head and sobbing. Her brothers were somewhere nearby, expressions grave and upset. Wolfe was the only one that wanted the abortion, but they all knew better than to defy him. Eckhart, her oldest brother, held down her torso as the doctor continued to probe her. Emilee screamed, trying to get him to remove himself from her. But their grips were firm and all Emilee could do was lay there, sobbing and mortified.

Efron was already thinking of how to get back to Emilee. She was in France, this much he knew. Perhaps she went back to her father? Efron would start there. It was going to be rough trying to get to Wolfe. He hated Efron and Efron knew this. "Hey, Edward," Efron asked one day as they were eating some soup, "Do you know of a way I can get to Beziers? It is my hometown." Edward smiled happily. "Yeah, in fact I do. I have family there matter of fact. I can get you a ride. Sound good?" Efron was happy for the first time in awhile.

It took a few days for a ride to come, but Efron was ready with his belongings when it did. Finally he was off to Beziers in pursuit Wolfe, but more importantly Emilee. On the ride there Efron thought of what he would do when confronting Wolfe. He would start off nice, trying to get through to him, praying it would work. Anything could happen. Efron hoped that none of it would be violent.

Emilee was a shell of a woman for the next several days. For awhile she just laid in bed, sobbing as what was left of Efron's child flowed through her. She felt awfully sick, emotionally and physically, and sometimes just wished that she would die. What was left for her now - Efron was dead, their baby was dead, and her life was gone. He had been her everything and now she felt like she had nothing left to live for.

Emilee's family, besides owning the coffee shop, also had a small farm to care for. Everyday the young woman would wake early to go and collect the eggs from the henhouse. Her brothers usually tried to make conversation, but most of them she remained silent. She didn't want to speak of any of them; her family were the ones that had taken away her dream and her will to live. They had held her down while the doctor did his work, leaving her to wallow in her misery when all was said and done.

After collecting the eggs and bringing them to the house, Emilee travelled out into the cow fields. It was still rather early in the morning and the sun was painting the sky hues of pink and orange. It was beautiful, but Emilee barely noticed.
When she got farther away from the house she collasped to the ground, sobbing in a heap. Her dress got clumped with dirt and her eyes went bloodshot, but for all she cared, she could just sit here the rest of her life. Even if Efron was still alive (which Emilee doubted highly) he'd never look at her after this. She had allowed them to kill their baby, take away their future. A piece of them both that was forever lost.
Emilee sobbed, covering her face and wishing death would find her.

Efron had finally arrived in his hometown. With the war now, Germans had reduced pressure in the town to focus on the new American forces in Europe. Efron was happy not to be hassled the moment he arrived. He thanked Edward's family for the ride and exited the vehicle. He knew where he was, being only a few blocks from Wolfe's shop. Efron wanted to believe she would be here but it was unlikely. He approached keeping his nerves at a low. Efron was a big man but Wolfe was bigger and older. If a fight were to happen, Efron would be at a disadvantage. This was taking out the fact Efron was littered with scars. They were on his arms, his chest. They plagued his appearance.

It wasn't long before he appeared before the coffee shop. It looked slightly different, with renovations being made. He saw the seat where he sat when he first laid eyes on Emilee. He sighed and entered. He didn't not see his love, but saw Wolfe standing in the back. "Wolfe! It's Efron..."

Business had been running as usual for Wolfe; he had hired a few extra hands for the weekend rush and imagined that Emilee would join him again soon. Though his wife insisted that she needed time to heal, Wolfe figured she'd eventually just snap out of her misery. When she did, it wouldn't be long before he had her pretty face attracting customers and he searched for a new husband for her. She was a sweet girl, and he knew that any man would kill to snatch her up, tainted by that Jew or not.

He was standing at the back of the cafe, watching his employees rush back and forth, when he noticed the Jew's familiar face across the shop. Though he was never one to turn away business, there was no way he wanted to see that filthy bastard ever again. Not only had the kid deflowered his little girl, but he had managed to plant his seed in her, ultimately pulling her away from who she was and where she belonged. In Wolfe's opinion, this man had ruined her.

He approached quickly and cocked one hip. The kid was tall but Wolfe was taller; the kid was stronger but Wolfe's muscles were larger. Wolfe smiled smugly.

"You're not welcome here, kid," he seethed, looking down on him with beady black eyes, "I don't know what you're doing back in this city, but you're not welcome back."

"This is my hometown Wolfe, I can come and go freely. I am not here to argue or to fight. I came here to talk. Your daughter, Emilee...I love her. No amount of torture or threats from you or anyone else will change this. She loves me too. I spent a year and more with that woman and she made me feel happier than I ever have in my life. I can not change the fact I am Jewish. It is in my family as German is yours. What would you do if Germans were looked down on, what if you lost your home and your job because of a title that is put on you. You and I are not much different. We both love and wished to be loved back. I have found both in your daughter. I don't know what I need to do to prove this, but I will. I mean your family no harm. I just want to see Emilee. I know you know where she is. Please Wolfe...just let me see her. This is wrong."

Efron didn't back down to Wolfe. He stood straight and made sure he stayed assertive. It was the only way not to show weakness or fear. Efron had no fear but his scars could show he was weak.

Wolfe couldn't help but chuckle lowly. They were alike? Ha! No way that he was anything like this low-life Jew... to even be compared to him, much less labelled as identical, was comical. All of his life Wolfe had strived to be strong, dominant... not like this piss poor kid that was a little too lovestruck to realize the gravity of his actions.
It was no secret that Emilee didn't tell Efron she was pregnant. When she had first found out, she had been with them for nearly a month... no time to tell her lover. Wolfe knew that the knowledge of his child would change the Jew's thoughts immediately. He was still merely a boy; and judging from those cuts on his arms, he wasn't fit to be a father... probably didn't want to be, either. Wolfe barely had a say in the matter when his wife had given birth to their their three boys.

The thought made him laugh a bit. Efron looked at him, determination in his eyes. He wanted to see Emilee? Well then, he was going to be in for a wicked surprise. The girl was barely living now; ever since the doctor had visited, she was barely alive... rarely talking, sometimes refusing to eat. His poor wife, Carole, spent most days trying to get something into her.

"What makes you think I would take you to her, even if I did know where she is?" he spat, "you're poison to her, kid, I knew it from the day I saw you. Don't think I didn't see you two sneaking around in the beginning. I had my shotgun out, ready, and then you both were gone. You think I'm going to let you take her away again? You corrupted her the first time, and I sure as hell wouldn't let you do it again."

"What do I have to do to prove it to you? Do you want me to kill my own kind. Is that what your sick mind believes is normal? We are all people Wolfe. You think you're better, but you aren't. If you won't help me then I will find my own way! I am not a bad person. Your mind is corrupted by what others tell you." Efron pushed the front door open and made his out. He knew he would have trouble getting to Wolfe. There was no use trying fight with him.

Now Efron was stuck in the town with no heading. There wasn't anything he could do. Wolfe was his only way to Emilee. At least she was alright, he knew. Wolfe would've known if something was wrong with her. He seemed just as protective as before, which meant she was alive and well, at least he hoped.

It was a week later when Efron returned to the shop once more. Wolfe had been expecting him; there was a fire burning in his eyes that Wolfe knew wouldn't douse that easily. He didn't doubt that the kid felt strongly for his daughter, but knew that he would only corrupt her further. He also suspected that as long as Efron tried to find Emilee, the more he was going to harass their family about it. Apparently the kid was asking around town, trying to find an address or even just word that Emilee was well.

Unfortunately, the young woman wasn't "well" in the least. Her body was betraying her and the doctor had warned that she needed to remain strong while her body expelled what was left of the child. When he explained this to her, Emilee just stared at him and told him that she would rather die now. The thought had Wolfe's wife in pieces. He tried to offer setting her up with one of his fine employees at the shop, but Emilee was stuck on what she believed was her lost love.

Wolfe sighed. The last thing he wanted to do was reunite the two of them but if he wanted his daughter to move on, there was no way he could let this continue. Emilee hated herself and clearly thought that if Efron was alive, he would hate her too. When he figured that she wouldn't let him near her ever again, he decided that it was finally time to bring Efron to who he wanted so badly.
Then, Emilee would turn him away and the kid would leave them all alone. His daughter would marry someone respective, hopefully not wallow in her misery. And if Efron tried any funny business, Wolfe would be nearby to break it up.

"What makes you think she even wants to see you?" he seethed, standing toe-to-toe with the Jew.
"I love her, she loves me," Efron told him confidently.
Wolfe snorted at that and backed away, "if you really want her, then I will take you to my home tonight. You'll have five minutes to say what you want, and then I expect you to scram. Emilee doesn't want you anymore, Efron, and you'll be damn lucky if she even talks to you."

Efron did not argue with Wolfe. He got what he wanted and that was enough for him. He was going to see Emilee. His heart swelled in his chest. Efron spent the day getting ready. He had looked rather sluggish and wanted to make sure he didn't look bad, he still wanted to impress her. He shaved, and covered his scars to the best of his abilities. He showered at a motel he was staying at and sprayed the cologne that she loved so much.

The time came where Wolfe was ready to take Efron to his home. The two said nothing to each other as Efron got into the back seat of his car. The trip was quiet and Efron could tell Wolfe was regretting every mile he drove with the Jew in his car. Efron didn't care. He was getting closer and closer to to his one true love.

The trip took some time but they had finally arrived at the farm. It was dark outside and Wolfe was first to exit the car. Efron exited next. "Stay here Jew," Wolfe snorted as he walked into his home. It was awhile before anything happened. It was dark and quiet and Efron stood by the car, kicking dirt around. He tired his best to stay positive.

"Emilee, honey, you have a visitor," there was a faint knocking at her door. Emilee's heart settled into the pit of her stomach; a visitor was usually the doctor, who cruelly probed and prodded her to make sure that the abortion had gone well. Over the past few days her bump had finally disappeared and she felt exhausted. Her mother seemed content that she hadn't died during the procedure; apparently, that was quite common. Emilee would have highly preferred that, even wished that the doctor had missed his mark and killed her. She didn't want to live anymore; not with the current situation she was in.

"Please, I'm not feeling well," she called, curling the blanket around her shoulders and traveling to the door. Her legs felt a little little wobbly and she gripped onto the bedpost as the world span.
There was a bit of shuffling on the other side of the door, and the sounds of male voices. Emilee stood there in front of the door, mortified and conflicted.
She was just about to tell everyone to leave her alone when another voice came, familiar and warming her heart, "Emilee, honey, it's me... Efron."

Emilee's heart dropped. She reached for the door handle but stilled for a moment. Efron?
Oh God; it was his baby that she had failed for protect, his child she had allowed to flow from her body. Emilee, as much as she loved the man, didn't want to face him. She knew that he would hate her after that; not want to look at her, much less love her again.

Suddenly, Emilee creaked the door open. Her family, including her father, were gathered on the landing. Efron was standing close to the knob, and Emilee opened the door just enough so that her nose poked up.
"Please, just leave me alone, Efron. Y-you don't want me anymore."