Impossible Love (Completed)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Re: Impossible Love

Efron was shocked at her words. Didn't want her? Surely this was asinine. What caused her to say this? "Emilee, wh-why wouldn't I want yo-you I spent all this time trying to find you? I-...I love you?" His words were conflicted. He went to reach for the handle but Wolfe grabbed his arm. "I told you Jew, now get out. I didn't say I would ride you back to town...so scram." Efron tried to protest, but he did not want to fight a man in his own home, let alone at all. Efron, his heart crushed, exited the house and walked some ways down the dirt drive way before falling to his knees. He hand one hand on the ground and one on his heart. The pain in his chest was too real. Tears dropped on the dry ground. He couldn't understand it. Why was she so determined not to see him. Was Wolfe right? Efron couldn't move. He could barely stand. His life had been stopped back at Emilee's door. He had no reason to live, no will. He just stayed on the ground...on his knees, confused and now alone.

Carole Van Dan stared out the window at the poor boy. Her husband was now sitting in his armchair in the study, oblivious to the plights of others around him. Sometimes she hated that man with a passion - ever since poor Emilee had been born, he had grown cruel and angry. Carole had only wished that he would direct his anger at her and not that those around him. It was her fault that Emilee had been born, not the girl or her lover's.

Sighing softly, Carole emerged from the house. The man was on his knees at the end of the driveway and if he wasn't careful, he would probably get hit by a car.
Carefully, Carole approached him. He didn't look up until she rested a hand on his shoulder and asked him if he was feeling alright. Hot tears were falling down his cheeks and Carole was sure she had never seen a man look so dejected before. It was sure that his love for her daughter ran deep, and Carole imagined that the same was true for Emilee's heart.

"Come with me," she signalled, extending her hand kindly to him. Efron didn't seem to be threatened by her and took her hand. Soon the two of them were rounding the house, traveling into the back grass fields were the cows normally grazed. Eckhart was in the back and regarded them both with a slight inclination of his head; most to Carole's relief, her husband's cruelty hadn't been transferred on to her fine and strapping sons.

"I need to show you think," Carole mumbled as they traveled into the wooded part of the fields. A few cows mooed nearby, and Carole continued to lead him through the sparse trees and bushes.

Finally they came to the small area that had been cleared. It was no larger than a few feet both ways, but there was a certain aura to it. Ever since Emilee had lost her baby, this was where she spent a lot of her time. Carole had joined her a few times, but it was rare that Emilee said anything. She seemed to prefer hiding in her own misery.
Carole gripped Efron's muscular bicep and pulled her further into the same clearing. In the center, there was a small area where someone had obviously been sitting. The grass was packed down, and some of the dirt was turned over nearby. Not too far off a little cross made of twigs and twine laid on the ground, and beside that, a small collection of pretty wildflowers.

Carole fought away the tears, and she lead Efron to the upturned area. He looked utterly confused, and searched her eyes for answers.
The older woman placed a hand over her heart and looked down at the flowers and cross, "Emilee was carrying your child, dear heart. She wasn't far enough along to have anything really to bury, but she had been stitching some blankets and socks for the child. When it was gone... well, I suggested that she bury it all. This little area is like her second home, now."

A child? Efron's child? Their child. Efron bent to one knee and grazed his fingers along the dirt below the cross. "I-I had no idea...I wasn't told at all." He gripped some dirt into his hand and raised it to his heart. "I-I should have been here...I tried to protect her. I didn't tell them! I went through months of....of torture! I thought I was protecting her and now this? I could have helped!" Efron had raised his voice but quickly simmered down. The tears had returned and he threw the dirt to the ground. His mind was a maze now. He couldn't find a clear exit. It was all just dead ends. His tears flowed down his face, raining down onto the ground by the cross.

Was this it? The final chapter of Efron and Emilee's love? He couldn't bare it but it appeared true. She did not want to see him. He had nowhere to go. No Sete, no little house with a white fence. No waking up to Emilee's bright, vibrant blue eyes. Worst of all, no child. No product of a passionate night so many months ago. No little one to carry on the legacy of the two. The tale of Jew and German. It was all dust in the wind.

Efron stood up and turned to Carole. "I am sorry I have caused your family so much turmoil. Just...just tell Emilee I love her. I don't know where I am going. Thank you for showing me this. Goodnight ma'm." Efron put his hand on her shoulder, and then walked off towards the drive way once more to perhaps find a ride to wherever it would take him.

Emilee had expected Efron to come back, to fight for her and for their love. She had watched him walk to the driveway and fall to his knees, but after that she crawled back into bed and had her own fair share of sobbing. When he never returned for her, Emilee's heart broke into breaks. It was official – they were over, done for good. No more soft kisses, hushed moans and piggy back rides from the Bakery. That chapters had been closed and Emilee had no choice but to move on to the next.

As the weeks passed, Emilee came to grips with what had happened.
They had been a Jew and a German, practically doomed from the start. Emilee's heart still ached for Efron but she realized that this could never work. If they had a child, it would only bring them all hurt and pain.
Emilee shut herself off from the world, only helping her brothers on the farm and her mother in the kitchen. Her weight dropped but her eyes got a little brighter with each day, and she started dressing nicely once more.

Emilee's father began setting her up on all sorts of dates after that. He seemed quite eager to set her up with a "nice German fellow" as he heart begun to heal. He spoke of giving a parcel of land to the lucky man, and how many happy children she could have. Emilee's belly stirred at the thought of another baby, but she swallowed back the bile in her throat.

She ended up going on a date with a hefty German man named Edward. His name brought back all sorts of memories of Sete, but luckily he seemed to enjoy just being called Ed. He was pleasant enough, standing at least a foot taller than her and looking sharp in a neat suit. He was a businessman and most likely wealthy; that was perhaps why her father had chosen him in the first time. For most of their date at a local German restaurant he made eyes at her, tapping his foot against her bare ankle.

Efron had found a small hotel away from the farmland and stayed there for the next few weeks. He found a small job painting houses and getting some money. Emilee was still in his mind but now, realizing it was over, had put other things ahead. He had a few run-ins with other woman. Efron's scars had healed and he began to jog again, bringing back his form. Several woman wanted him, a lonely painter in a small town. Even the paint job owner's wife discussed an affair, which Efron gladly refused.

He wasn't as miserable as he started as. He used his depression as a key to get his life together again. It was Sete all over again. No Emilee, just himself and the world available. The town he was at had very few Germans. It was Frenchmen and American forces. The war was starting to turn for the Allies. Paris had been liberated and Germany was slowly leaving France. It was great news for Efron. He hadn't seen a soldier since the attack on Sete and the base he was held at.

Efron was painting a house one day when a woman walked up. She was young, about his age, and had long blonde hair with green eyes. "Ex-excuse me," she began getting Efron's attention, "Hello, my name is Judith." She smiled and Efron returned a smile. She was very pretty and had a happy aurora around her. "Can I help you?" Efron asked, descending from his ladder. The woman approached him. "Yes, actually, I am new here do you know where the restaurant is? It is German owned I believe?" Efron smiled. "Of course, just follow me." "Oh, thank you sir!" She wrapped her arm in his and he led her to the local bistro.

The man drank rather heavily and as the evening progressed, his voice bellowed louder. A few other couples turned and stared at them, and Emilee ducked her head, blushing timidly. She now realized why her father had chosen Ed to date her; they were alike in too many ways. The thought of marrying a man like her father made Emilee sick and she was eager to get out.

When they exited the small restaurant, Emilee was set on meeting one of her brothers at the bar down the road. He had promised to take her home considering Emilee was always uncomfortable riding home with unknown men. Efron had taught her that nearly a year ago, but Emilee was trying not to think of him lately.

"I think we'll have to leave off here," Emilee told him.
Ed was suddenly close to her. She took a step back and realized that her back was now pressed up against the brick wall. They were still on the street but it was nearly deserted; a wave of memories rushed back and Emilee closed her eyes, trying to swallow the bile. She reminded to recall the self defense that Efron had taught, in case the man tried any funny business. All she could remember was go for the groin.

Suddenly Ed was leaning in though, the alcohol heavy on his brief. At first his lips were against her cheek, a little tender, a goodbye kiss. But then his hip was anchoring her against the wall, and she was squirming underneath him.
She hated the fact that she had worn a shorter skirt tonight, and her bare legs rubbed up against the tweed of his pants. His lips were suddenly descending to the slight V of her collar, too, and Emilee writhed against him, mortified and flushing.

Oh God, not again. He had her pushed firmly against the wall, preventing her legs from moving, much less her ability to kick him where it counted.

"Stop it!" she cried, trying to push him away. Her body was still tender from the miscarriage and she prayed that he wouldn't try anything with her. The mere thought had her skin flushed and her body shaking; no, this couldn't be happening...
"Come on now," Ed said, slipping a hand underneath her skirt. The breath was cold against her legs, and she squealed in disgust when she felt him pull at the elastic of her underwear, "I just want a little fun. Daddy doesn't have to know... the city already knows your deflowered, so what's the harm in a little fun tonight? I promise I'll make it good for you, show you what that filthy Jew never learned about pleasing a woman."

As they walked towards the restaurant, Judith squeaked. Efron jumped slightly at her. "What was that?" "Oh God, Efron, the man is hurting that woman!" Efron looked over and saw a man pinning a woman against the wall. He couldn't tell who it was. "Hey! Buddy! What the hell do you think your doing?" Efron yelled across the street and told Judith to stay on the other side. Ed turned and let Emilee go to confront the yelling man. "Ya, who the hell are you?" Ed yelled back. Efron was walking over and Ed met halfway. "Just leave the woman alone. You are clearly drunk. Just let her be, she doesn't want-" It was then that Ed layed a right hook on Efron. He stumbled back but returned a right of his own. This caused Ed to stumble. Efron became furious for whatever reason and fell onto the man. Pinning him down, he started punching Ed. Efron was relentless swinging rights and lefts. Judith ran over, screaming for him to stop. She pulled him off and Efron was breathing heavily. He had blood on his fists and on some of his face. Ed laid there unconscious.

"Fucking, ah!" Efron yelled as he wiped the blood from his face. He looked up at the woman who stood down the street. "Hey! Miss! Are you alright?" He started to walk towards her. She looked familiar but he couldn't quite tell. Finally, as we came closer he saw the image of his former love. Emilee stood staring back at him. Efron was speechless. Judith came along. "Ef-Efron, thank you for showing me the restaurant, I-I'm going to go now." She ran across the street.

Efron just stood, emotionless. What were to odds. He didn't know how to react.

Emilee felt like a mannequin as she watched Efron take Ed down. She had known that it was him almost immediately; his strong, broad shoulders were so wonderfully familiar and the way that he moved was purely him. She could almost smell him from across the road - that was absolutely absurd but it had been so long since he had been this close to him...

When he finally walked over, Emilee's breath caught in her throat. Ed was laying somewhere on the road, but she could care less. Her shoulders started to tremble and her knees buckled underneath her. Her panties were halfway down her thighs, a reminder of what could have happened if he hadn't walked by.

Completely overcome by fear and relief, Emilee's only reaction was to fling herself in Efron's arms. Not because it was him... but because he was safety to him, the beacon in the storm. It had been a long time since she had felt so relieved, so safe. Naturally, it was his presence that brought it to her.
Efron seemed surprised by the sudden embrace but it wasn't long before he carefully wrapped his arms around her back. Her body was tender from the assault and she noted how careful he was with her. His scent engulfed her, his hard chest so familiar; safety. Emilee began to sob, and soon she was sinking to her knees, the world becoming a dark haze of colour and sounds.

Efron picked her up and as she fell. She must have passed out. Why was she with that man? Was that her new husband? A date? She still looked so beautiful. Efron debated on what to do. He could take her back to his motel room but that could be bad for the both of them. They were past lovers now just two people in the world. It was a long trek, but Efron took Emilee back to her farm. It took about 2 hours on foot but Efron didn't stop.He was half way into the driveway when Carole noticed out the window. She ran out and stopped on the porch. Efron walked up and set her on the porch's couch. "She was attacked by a man in a suit. I-I helped her. Brought her here, sorry it is late. I thought this was the best place. She seemed fine. The man appeared to not harm her, thankfully. Y-you have a good night Carole. Give my regards to Emilee I must go." Efron almost twitched as he said it. He didn't want to leave. He knew Emilee embraced him but it couldn't been out of fear. He wasn't sure how she felt anymore, it had been so long.

Efron walked down the stairs and slowly walked away. It would be a long walk back. As he exited the driveway, a tear fell from him. It was torture.

"Efron, you get back here this instant!" Carole called out to him.
Efron turned around suddenly, his brow furrowing in the moonlight. Even in the darkness, Carole could see why her daughter was so smitten with the young man; his shoulders were as wide as a doorway, his arms and legs roped with powerful muscle. But underneath all that he was wonderfully compassionate, still caring for her daughter even after Emilee had slammed a door in his face.

Carole descended one of the steps and smiled at him, "come inside. Wolfe is remaining at the cafe for the week, and my sons will not mind you coming in."
He looked hesitant but after a few seconds, he just nodded his head.
Carole wrapped her daughter up in a blanket and asked Efron to carry her inside of the house. He did so and placed her down on the couch in the sitting area, where Carole soon retrieved a pillow and another blanket. Her skin was a ghostly white and she looked exhausted, but Carole knew that Emilee would make a full recovery. Fainting was just her body's defense mechanism.

Carole soon rushed into the kitchen, returning soon with a warm washcloth. Efron was now seated on the couch beside Emilee, his eyes searching her face. Carole smiled at that; there was no missing the love that flowed between the two of them. If all ended well, she hoped it would persevere.
Slowly, Carole descended on Efron and tended to the cuts on his face. "Well, if you're this beaten I'd hate to see the other man! Wolfe set her up, and oh goodness she was so nervous to go! I don't blame her, after what luck she's had with the others her father has chosen." When she finished her handy work, she lifted Efron's chin, "you'll make me a wonderful son-in-law, I am sure. No man with a heart like that falls under my radar."

Efron remained quiet but smiled at her hearty words. He didn't think he was any part of Emilee's life anymore. He stared at her and memories flushed back. He missed her dearly. He just believed that she was over him. He tried to get over her but after tonight he would relapse. The depression, loneliness. He needed her but wouldn't move an inch towards her unless he knew he could. Carole returned to the kitchen to dispose of the cloth. Efron looked at his cut hands. Twice now he had saved Emilee from sure trouble. How it worked out to perfectly both times remained a mystery to him. It was impossible. Though it happened.

Efron was tired from the fight and the long journey here. It wore down his energy. He sat there eyes closed for a brief moment to recollect. The house was warm and comforting. Being close to Emilee also installed safety to him. Her mother was sure that they would be together but that would be up to Emilee. He hadn't even though of Wolfe either. He would return to the farm and be disgusted that Efron was back. He wouldn't let him off with just words this time either. There would be a fight.

Carole sooned returned and sat by Emilee's side. "Did, did Emilee want to get rid of the child? Did...she want the abortion?" It perhaps wasn't the best question to ask but Efron wanted to know.

When Carole re-entered the room, she grimaced slightly at Efron's question. She really wanted Emilee and Efron to have this conversation together, but knew that it would be ages before the young woman speak of it again. It hurt Carole too to know that her grandchild had been taken in that way. But with Wolfe's threats looming, what else could she have done?

Carole sat down on the chair and stroked her daughter's hair momentarily. It was matted but soft and curly. Carole sighed, "no, not at all. I told you that she had been knitting items for the baby... she was excited, though a little sad. She told me that she thought you to be dead."
The middle-aged woman sighed again and closed her eyes. There was no erasing the pain from her heart; she knew that Emilee had been devastated to lose the baby, mortified by the doctor and upset that she had allowed such a thing to happen. Carole continued, "Wolfe insisted that she couldn't have it. Of course, Emilee was unmarried and having a baby would look poor on her. I imagined that Wolfe was more concerned about the baby being half-Jew, though. Let me tell you though, Efron, that Emilee wanted that baby. She fought for it, cried when the procedure was over. Part of me truly wonders if she will ever recover from that. Her heart was broken the day the doctor came in."

Efron gripped the chair in pain. He asked for the answer but cringed at it. He couldn't stand to know what Emilee went through. He couldn't be there to be at her side, to fight for her. He was weak, captured and tortured like a German's bitch. Efron got up and walked to the window. His hands remained in fists and he glared out the window. It was all so messed up. He only wish she would awake so he could settle this all.

Efron needed to know how she felt. She once already sent him away will little words. Did she really not want him to be around anymore? He would find out. Efron would respect her wishes as well. He would leave never to return. Leave France, perhaps to the States. Start a whole new life, without Emilee. It would kill him but time would pass, he would adjust. He didn't want that though. The though sickened him. It tortured him like nothing before.

Eventually his hands relaxed and he walked back to the two. He sat on the arm of the chair and stared at Emilee. "I love your daughter. She is all I want in this world. Even after this all. She consumes my mind. Emilee was once my world, and I hope she can be again."

Carole smiled at the man's kind words. Yes, there was certainly a special kind of love in his eyes; she had seen it in Emilee too when she had first come back to the farm.
Oh, how the middle-aged woman knew that feeling well. She could only hope that Efron and Emilee did not discard it like she did. It had been a very long time since she had felt that way about a man, and to this day she regretted not fighting for their love. Never had she regretted having her three sons and daughter, but Carole had always wondered what if. She only hoped that her daughter wouldn't feel that in her life.

"She will be," Carole nodded her head resolutely, "these things just take time. She's hurt; afraid that you won't want her after you found out what had happened to the baby. I remember, when she was pregnant, what she said - that you guys had been planning for a family, hoping for children. And then the dream was torn away..."

Carole sighed softly and covered her daughter back up with a blanket. In time, she knew that they all would heal. And if the young lovers were able to handle the onslaught from Wolfe and society in general, she knew that would be happy.

The middle-aged woman began to fiddle with the edge of the afghan. "Efron, I do not want to see you two lose each other. Years ago, I lost someone I loved dearly in the same way and regret it ever since. He was so kind to me, but my parents did not approve. My father even shot him in the shoulder. I met Wolfe several years later, but Tom was always on my mind. I saw him one day at the market, and we ended up with an affair. 9 months later, my sweet Emilee was born. Wolfe knew well that he wasn't hers - her eyes gave it away completely. But that one night... having a child with Tom... it made me wonder if I could have had something better. I never want my daughter to have that feeling, and I know that if you two were to wed, she'd never look back. She loves you profusely, Efron, even if she denies it at first. I suppose she's just been trying to protect you from the heartache she's been experiencing all this time."

Slowly, Carole stood from the sofa, "I think it's best we all get some rest. If you don't mind, could you bring Emilee upstairs? I'd hate to wake her... she never sleeps well. I'll be up in a minute to dress her for sleep, and I'll grab you something to make a pallet."

Efron nodded and carried her up to her bed. He gently laid her down and stared at her for a few moment longer. "Emilee, I.....I love you." He kissed her forehead and left the room, heading back downstairs. Carole had prepared a place for him to rest and he thanked her. She headed upstairs to tend to Emilee. Efron laid down and stared at the ceiling. It would be awhile before he would sleep. He was happy to under the same roof as Emilee. It was about the only thing he had to cling to. He of course thought of all the negative things to come of tomorrow. What is she again rejected him. He would leave and do as he said.

Efron rolled around for hours as he tried to get some rest. It was hard, his mind would not stop racing. A roller coaster of emotions ran through his mind. He would pray and hope that tomorrow would bring joy to his life once again. Finally his mind rested long enough for him to close his eyes and drift off to sleep. Emilee was the last thing he saw in his mind before it all faded black.

Emilee woke in the middle of the night, tossing and rolling in her own sweat. Her breath was labored, as though she had been running from something. It the dream she had been too - a man in a fancy black suit was running after her. Her panties were around her ankles and her skirt was disheveled. Her chest was heaving, but she had to keep running. No way she was going to let that man touch her again. Emilee woke only when it seemed she had ran off the edge of a steep cliff, her heart pounding in her ears when she woke as she fell to her doom.

Immediately, Emilee could smell Efron on her clothing. She half expected him to be laying on the narrow cot beside her, and she frowned will all she found was empty bed space. She knew that he was somewhere in the house, though; in her haze of sleep last night she had heard he and her mother talking. The thought of him being so close make her heart pound in a different way.

Pulling one of her longest nightdresses over her head, Emilee slid from her room. She searched the hallway and when she didn't find him, she pattered quietly down the stairs.
His pallet on the floor was illuminated by the moonlight and his muscular torso poked out from underneath the blankets. The bed was disheveled, like he had been tossing and turning profusely before he had finally fallen asleep.
At first Emilee had been hesitant to approach, but her legs didn't seem to understand what her brain was telling them. Before she knew it she was on her knees beside the pallet, her hands reaching out for him. His presence in her home felt unreal - like this was some cruel dream she'd wake up from too soon.

Slowly, Emilee reached out and touched Efron's arm. Then she leaned in, resting her forehead against his bicep and feeling the tears began to teem in her eyes. She sobbed, "I-I-I'm so s-sorry..."

Efron awoke at the sound of her soft words. He turned and looked at her. "Sorry? You have no reason to be sorry. I am sorry. I am sorry for leaving you in Sete. Sorry for not being here when you needed me most." He sat up and ran his hand through his hair. "I'm not going to sit here and pour my heart out. I can simply it. I miss you, and I love you. I love you so much. I want to be yours again. To live with you, to care for you. I want to be the man that protects you. I want to wake up to your beautiful face again. Please...I hate to beg...please take me again. Emilee..." He was afraid to hold her, he sat there waiting for a response...anything.

Emilee sighed softly and sat on the floor beside the coat, folding her legs underneath her. Why was he begging her to take him back? Any woman would be lucky to have Efron as their lover and husband. It was hear that was the corrupt one, the one that didn't deserve this kind of love and happiness.

The young woman placed her hands in her lap and sighed again, "I'm the one that should be begging, Ef. I lost the baby... I didn't even fight for it!"
She didn't want to be having this conversation and didn't want to relive the memories. Still, she figured that Efron deserved to know what had happened. The baby inside of her had been his just as much as it was hers. The mere thought pained her.
Emilee wiped away at the tear in her eye, keeping her gaze averted, "I don't deserve you, Efron. I'm a horrible, awful, dirty person. The doctor... I let him do it! I was crying but I didn't even tell him to stop. And then... and then the baby was gone, and there was nothing at all I could do. I might as well have aborted the child myself! I don't deserve this anymore, Ef..."

"No, you don't deserve this Emilee." Efron said as he came closer to her and laced his fingers into hers. "You deserve so much better. You deserve a house with a yard, a garden. And kids, we can try again. You deserve everything you've ever wanted, and I can provide that. I can try at least. I love you, you know this. I haven't stopped loving you. I know what happened and trust me you aren't at blame for anything." He sat there a moment, collecting his thoughts but staring at her. He lifted her chin and stared into her blue eyes he missed so much. "I won't leave you anymore. If you want me, if you want us just please let me know."

Efron leaned in, he wanted to kiss her but if you refused he would stop.

Emilee was sure that she had never wanted someone before so much in her life. Over the last months she had been trying to convince herself that she was over Efron, that things had not been meant to be. But seeing him again rekindled all sorts of dormant feelings in her. Now, more than ever she wanted to marry, have children, live in that little house they had dreamed of.
But was it that simply? Emilee felt tainted, dirty. She had allowed Efron's child to be killed and now, everyday, she was going to have to live with that grief.

The young woman bit her lip as she looked into Efron's eyes. She was surprised when she didn't find even a smile of hatred or anger towards her; she thought that he should have hated her for what had happened. As she stared further into him, all she saw was hope for future and pure love.
Teems flowed freely down Emilee's cheeks and Efron was quick to wipe them away with his thumbs.

"Oh Efron," she sobbed. Soon she was launching herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck and burying her face into his shoulder.
"I want you more than anything," she cried.