High School DXD - From the Ashes - In Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My name is Fushimi Saruhiko" he closed his eyes voluntarily, shoving his hand into the box. He grabbed the first piece he felt pulling it out he opened his eyes and saw the horse shaped form in between his fingers. "I guess I choose the knight, think I'm fit for it?" he asked. 'Don't knights need swords though' he thought to himself. It was then it occurred to him he had a sword in his dojo. He waited watching the head man waiting for him to agree or disagree.

"As expected I suppose. I would be surprised if you opted for pawns or the rook pieces. But yes to answer your question and according to my knowledge, which is limited in it's own right, knights typically wield swords and or other martial weapons. However a knight can be decked out in most weapons and still fair well. Perhaps a rook might suit your fancy if you don't like weapons. Dagmar is a capable rook though so we are not in need of a power house at the moment. As for you bishop Itami....well then...that piece is a whole different situation. Bishops hold the power of arcane power in their hands. Too heal another person, or to call upon the elements to smite their enemies. Not unlike myself but I'm a whole different beast. You chose a path hard walked and filled with danger. Magic is not to be trifled with. I will give you one last chance to back off now. Alternatively if the piece that you have picked is not too your liking then I will chose one for you personally. Now then shall I get started or is there take backsies in order?" Aster said calmly and cooly as he surveyed the two potential recruits. They were not his first picks. But he needed to replace Silas. And he didn't like how long Val was taking could something have happened to someone like her out there? He didn't know and he worried for her. However he would take all the help he could and give nothing back. It was his duty after all...to unite this family together and move towards the future. Gremory...he intended to surpass even them eventually as was his right as head of his house. "I'll oversee the training of all the new prospects from now on. Starting tomorrow we will start training with whoever is left and Dagmar will start going on contracts and scout missions. Dagmar, the missing bishop Val, and I will be your superiors and we expect respect from you as low class starting demons. I am more practical than most people but don't expect to master your powers in a few days." Ivan said out of the blue as Star grunted indifferent to the whole ordeal.

"Again with the ominous talk" Itami thought to himself. Even though apparently his path would be incredibly dangerous and filled with magic it is the piece that choose him. "I want to become a Bishop, Aster" he said with an almost cockiness. He was just curious to where Val was. Apparently she was the other Bishop and would be training him in stuff like healing magic. Well at least he wanted Val to train him. Itami wanted to be trained by someone with the most experience in his role.

"I'll oversee the training of all the new prospects from now on. Starting tomorrow we will start training with whoever is left and Dagmar will start going on contracts and scout missions. Dagmar, the missing bishop Val, and I will be your superiors and we expect respect from you as low class starting demons. I am more practical than most people but don't expect to master your powers in a few days." Itami thought about it. Low class demons? He knew what his goal would be. He wanted to be a high ranking demon leading one of his own clans eventually but all that is going to be in the future. Ivan tried to be intimidating and the others haven't really shown themselves enough to be judged. Even though Ivan was going to be the one training him Itami was just anxious to start.

He wondered what was going to happen. Was his soul even worth finding out about his family history. He wondering if he'd be able to return back to his normal life at all. "I guess there's no turning back from here so please go ahead" it was at that moment that Fushimi decided he was going to live life with regret. "You may go ahead and proceed" He thought back to when he was just a kid and he would train in kendo. Even though he hasn't picked up a sword within a few years he was still the top of his classes, so he'd probably get used to it easily. He stood and looked at Aster for his response.

"Very well then don't say that I did not give you both ample choice in the matter. Anything that happens after this moment is your choice. No matter the enemies you make, no matter who I tell you to fight, no matter the pain that comes from being my servant you made the choice to trust a strange devil boy from America with your lives." Aster said plainly not particularly thrilled about introducing yet another two people into his world. It was not a thing lightly done and yet still they seemed insistent upon him doing this. It was quite...annoying. Aster reached out and grasped the piece held by Saruhiko. He pressed it against his chest and breathed in deeply as a wave of energy shot through Aster's body. As usual the process made him feel light headed but such as it was there was no other way of doing this. A blood red aura appeared around Saruhiko as Aster pressed the knight piece harder against his chest. A paradoxical feeling fell over Saruhiko. A cold sensation came along with a feeling of warmth. "I, Aster Black of House Nightblood descendant of devils long past and dead and King of my household declare you my knight." Aster said calmly as he forced the piece suddenly into Saruhiko's chest it went in without effort slowly absorbing itself into the body of Saruhiko unlocking any hidden potentials that laid dormant in him. Aster kept the cycle of magic going for a moment longer before he breathed out and the spell was canceled.

"It is done. You answer to me now. Feel free to go home now. Or stay here. Do as you please I will call upon you when I need you." Aster said plainly as he then turned to Itami, "You don't strike me as a bishop upon closer inspection but then again I don't look like much of a devil spawn do I? Now then..." Aster said as he grasped his last bishop piece. It'd be odd seeing this piece leaving his possession. He twirled it around in his hand then smiled and sighed. You had to let things go. Aster breathed in deeply once more and repeated the same magic cycle as a warmth and sinister feeling crept up Itami's spine different from Saruhiko Aster would imagine. To imbue someone with a bishop's powers was different from a knight's. Aster pressed his bishop piece on top of Itami's heart and began to mutter, "I, Aster Black of House Nightblood magister of the arcane, weaver of dreams, singer of the forgotten languages, here by deem you bishop of my house. Fail me not and keep my kin safe. Or be taken by the very power that you will not be able to weave." Aster said as he pressed the piece slowly into the heart of Itami. It took him a moment longer than it did for Saruhiko but it was still a trival matter for him at this point. Aster wished he could've done more for his clan but at the moment he couldn't. They'd have to earn their keep. They were still a new house after all. Not even Gremory fully knew of him to his knowledge. But with Dag...with Ivan...he had a chance. Now that he had a mostly full house he could now press forward even more. Aster pulled back as he laid down on the couch pushing himself into the cushions.

"It is done Itami. As I said with the other one you're free to go or stay as you please. However don't expect to have control over your powers if you can even use them right now. Power comes with control and as of this moment I am not entirely sure how much power you do have. Suffice to say i've done all I can for the moment. I am not all powerful. And Rome was not built in a day. You will both learn to use your powers Ivan and Val will teach you or if you prefer a more real approach Dagmar will show you how real combat is in the devil world. Pray that you aren't stupid enough to challenge him on your first day." Aster said as he pressed his hand against his head trying to get over his light headedness.

Itami wanted to train his magic. It would be his only weakness as a Bishop from now on. Luckily the training he got from his father's dojo would be enough to keep most attackers on bay. "Aster I would like to get some training in magic. Who would I go to for that?" He asked. Itami was curious on whether it would be Ivan or Val. Honestly he didn't care but he was interested in the person who would be training for potentially like threatening situations. Dagmar had been there for more practical training but that was not what he needed right now. More than anything Itami had gained many new opportunities from becoming a devil. His first priority would be to get more powerful. Well more powerful than a low class demon.

"Ivan would be the best to see for that. As Queen he has the ability to tap into magic just like you. However as King I also have that ability. But for now...I'd prefer to rest...taking out pieces is not something easily done. Even for me. Putting pieces in are simple enough but getting them out forces me to penetrate the cursed veil and remove what makes a person a devil. The process isn't something anyone can do." Aster said leaning back as Star ran over to the sink and quickly poured some water and rushed it back to Aster who thanked her and drank it down at once. He rubbed his head and pushed past the dizziness causing him no end to his troubles. It was going to be a pain actually getting over this. "Yeah I'll teach you. Magic isn't something easily learned but it should come naturally once you get the knack for it. How to do stronger techniques varies per person. Even knight boy over there is capable of conjuring flames." Ivan stated as he sat down in a chair and pulled off his jacket. He twirled a tooth pick he pulled out of his pocket before looking Itami in the eyes. "First lesson kid: Don't fuck with the church. Second lesson: Definitely don't get up close and personal with an enemy rook or knight. And never engage a queen. Get me or Dag or run away. Those are the most solid advice I can give you before you go asking for bigger stuff. But if you want to know more about the healing arts then go get Val she's better than me at that sort of shtick. I'm passable but nothing amazing. I'm here to hurt people."

Itami took the time to listen intently. "First lesson kid: Don't fuck with the church. Second lesson: Definitely don't get up close and personal with an enemy rook or knight. And never engage a queen. Get me or Dag or run away. Those are the most solid advice I can give you before you go asking for bigger stuff. But if you want to know more about the healing arts then go get Val she's better than me at that sort of shtick. I'm passable but nothing amazing. I'm here to hurt people." It was obviously going to be a rough ride but the situation just started to get more and more interesting. "Alright. All that sounds reasonable. However where is Val then?" Itami knew it would be a good while before he got his powers to powerfully manifest but he would take the opportunity to get started with it. He had no clue at what the training would entail however. It was just a mystery like many other things happening. Even though he is already pretty powerful with his spear Itami has quite the affinity for magic. He was shown magic multiple times by his father and grandfather but he thought it was all a big ruse. It was apparent now that magic that would allow them to beat almost anybody in their dojo. Some of them may put up a fight but it always ended in the same way. Itami just hoped to learn everything he could before going into his first battle.

"I think I'll go home for now" he said to his new leader. "I think I need to sleep on this" he stated calmly making his way out. He followed what looked like the exit til he made it outside. Walking back to his dojo he shoved his hands into his pockets. He walked down a couple of blocks before lighting a cigarette. Smoking it til it was done he threw it onto the ground and stomped it out. Getting back to his dojo, he put a sign on the door that said 'closed til further notice.' Going into the back office he took off his shirt and laid in the bed. Closing his eyes he drifted into a deep sleep.

"That's the question kid: Where is Val?" Ivan looked over to Aster who breathed in deeply and tried to reach out in her general direction. He didn't sense anything. It was abnormal he should know where she was at even in his weakened state. He could only assume she was alright but she should've been back by now. He considered the options and decided it was too risky to send Ivan back out again. It was his newer new knight's option to go out on his own after all he knew the risks. Still Aster wondered if he should've asked him to stay here. "I can't sense her. That worries me. Still Val is capable I have faith in her abilities. She was a friend of my mother after all and my mother didn't keep weak friends. Still Itami I would recommend staying here for the night. A newborn devil runs all sorts of risks not including the other devils in this town and the sudden surge in church members. Predictably Gremory is probably uber pissed right now this is her town after all. Tomorrow I will try to meet with her while the new girl goes and tries out her first devil contract, and Ivan teaches you and the other new guy the ropes of being a devil. It may take awhile so don't expect to have a basic mastery of your abilities for another good month or two. However I must insist that you either go to your home now, in which case be careful, or take the room to the left of the one in the corner and have a good night's sleep. I'm going to bed myself I need to rest. Good night." Aster said as he slowly pushed himself upright. His worries over Val, his current positioning left him with few options other than to let Gremory in on things, and the god damn fucking church sticking it's fingers into everything again...it left him feeling drained and tired. It wasn't something he wasn't used to. He had long since given up on trying to have a normal life. He ran his hand through his hair and looked at it and saw sweat on it. Was he really that weak? He shook his head and decided to take his leave now as he walked up the steps towards his bed. Ivan looked at Star who vanished suddenly and then back at Itami. "Your choice kid. Me? I'm just going to chill out on the couch tonight."

• Love
Reactions: RaccoonKing
"I can't sense her. That worries me. Still Val is capable I have faith in her abilities. She was a friend of my mother after all and my mother didn't keep weak friends. Still Itami I would recommend staying here for the night. A newborn devil runs all sorts of risks not including the other devils in this town and the sudden surge in church members. Predictably Gremory is probably uber pissed right now this is her town after all. Tomorrow I will try to meet with her while the new girl goes and tries out her first devil contract, and Ivan teaches you and the other new guy the ropes of being a devil. It may take awhile so don't expect to have a basic mastery of your abilities for another good month or two. However I must insist that you either go to your home now, in which case be careful, or take the room to the left of the one in the corner and have a good night's sleep. I'm going to bed myself I need to rest. Good night. Your choice kid. Me? I'm just going to chill out on the couch tonight." Itami made the choice rather quickly. He didn't want to go home now, all he would do is reminisce about his old life and want it back, even though there was no way. He would take the room offered by Aster. "Very well. I'll stay here for the night." It would be hard but Itami has to adapt to his new life as a low devil. It was an interesting situation and something he couldn't have dreamed up only days ago. Now is has knowledge of heaven and hell. They were real and probably so was the Devil. He can't go to Heaven now, rather to Hell.

He walked into the room and closed the door. There wasn't much to do except for sleep now. He took his jacket off and his shoes, then laid in the bed. "Hopefully Val will show up soon." Itami thought to himself before shutting his eyes. Tomorrow would be the start of his training hopefully, regardless of who it is he wanted to start now rather than later.

• Love
Ivan grunted in acknowledgement and sat back down as Dagmar came back up holding the bag of ashes. He told Ivan and Itami he was going out to dispose of the ashes somewhere and he'd be back soon and that he was taking his hammer with him. Ivan knew Dagmar was going to be a safe bet. More than likely Dagmar wasn't going to be overpowered by just any old exorcist out there. His strength made him just as valuable a piece as Ivan in all respects. Aster had two good pieces but the rest...he wasn't too sure about them in the long run. Ivan pulled off his coat and grabbed a blanket he rolled it over his body and prepared to get some rest for the night.

===

Meanwhile....
"You know lass...I really didn't expect you to be this weak. What are you? Bishop? Pawn? Should've known better than to run off on your own at night. I'm not one too attack devils on sight on a good day like this, and especially not when I'm in a town like this but hey I need answers, and you're going to tell them to me." the man said as he gripped Val by the throat holding her there. There would be no help for her; he had made sure of that

. She had tried to run away from him in the end it was futile and pointless. His abilities far outmatched all but the highest of the high. Then again he supposed that was hubris on his part but he had every right to be so full of himself. He had fought kings and queens, toppled kingdoms, destroyed all those who opposed him, and of course he had lived for longer than he cared for. This girl....whoever she was wasn't nearly as strong as she could've been. "Fuck you I'm not telling you jack!" Val groaned blood dripping from his body as her various wounds ached miserably. She was helpless at this point. The man groaned and shook his head.

"Always the same aren't you? Devils like their secrets all the same you'll meet your master soon enough just tell me what you know. And I'll stop this pain you're feeling. I'm a merciful sort of person. I've done my duties and sacrificed a lot for today, I don't mind committing more evil for they do say do onto evil what is evil don't they? So once again tell me my answers, or I'll cut off your fingers one by one until you can't even breath without feeling pain. Trust me I've gotten quite good at it." the man said with a calm voice like water over a stream but underlining it with a sadistic anger and rage. He wasn't lying. Val spit in his face and the man merely looked at her with distaste. "Fine have it your way then."

====

Two Days later - The morning.

The past day had been a rather quiet one Ivan and Dagmar had went off to do some favors for Aster which prompted him to halt training for a day while he personally helped the new three get used to their new roles. He informed them of the basics of their roles and what they meant to him and each other in a combat and domestic sense. Dagmar had found nothing but he did hear rumors that Gremory had been on the move lately so that meant only bad things for anyone who had fought devils in this town. Ivan hadn't found Val and Aster assumed her dead which meant he only had one new bishop. He had spent the night of yesterday forcing Itami to learn how to his healing powers in their most basic form. Today Aster was tired but he intended to go and find Gremory today which meant that Ivan was at home today to teach the others what to do However instead of teaching them things he apparently he had other plans in mind for them.

Aster sat in the kitchen in a chair sipping coffee to wake himself up more while Ivan was watching a sitcom on TV. Neither of them were particularly chatty and Dagmar had already left to keep doing his duties. He had to keep his contract quota after all and they had been falling behind in that regard. Aster himself felt uneasy about sending anyone out but he knew it had to be done. "So boss how's Itami doing?" Ivan shouted over to Aster who grunted noncommittally "It wasn't easy but I had to make sure our healer knows his job. You can't be forced to do all of the healing Ivan I need you focused on combat. So even if he's unready for his power I needed to make sure he had at least the fundamentals down. How's Aiko?" Aster asked in return as he shrugged, "She's probably better didn't get to train with her the other day but Dag showing her that devils can take a hit like that really had to hit hard. Hopefully she can apply herself better with me at the head." Ivan grumbled as Aster drank more of his coffee, "This coffee is shit." Aster said with no emotion as Ivan chuckled, "Thanks I made it myself. Always glad to be appreciated." Ivan laughed as he turned up the volume on the tv.

• Love
After recovering from her last encounter with Dag. She has been working on using Neveralone. In the dark she managed to create a doppelganger that could mirror her movements but under the light she could only do minor things like spawn small throwing tools that disappeared shortly after being exposed to the light.

Aiko quietly entered the kitchen and started pulling out some pots and pans. Her mission was to use this short free time better her cooking skills. It was one thing she though she was decent at and everyone seemed to enjoy to eat her food. She brought out eggs, toast, and oatmeal. She did not have a lot to work with today. "I have to ask lord Aster permission to resupply," she whispered to her self. Cracking the eggs into the post, she waited for them to start bubbling. A sizzling sound filled the room, revealing her presence to those who were unaware. It would only take a few minutes for her to finish Ivan and Aster's meals and she hoped the other 2 would not enter the kitchen before she could prepare theirs.

@Gremory
@VanceXentan
@Sasha Bliss

Last edited:
  • Love
"Thank you but you don't need to keep doing this you know. Star may be thankful for not having to do the cooking now that Val is gone but you're not obligated to feed us." Aster said gently as Ivan acknowledged Aiko's food with a thankful nod. "I'm sure your previous line of work had you feel obligated to do certain things but unlike your former employers I'm not forcing people to do anything...at the moment at the very least." Aster continued as he ate his food slowly. He was still tired and he wasn't exactly at full strength hopefully Aiko's meal would solve that. "I hope you don't regret me saving your life. This life has been rough so far." Aster said suddenly as he chewed on his food.

Last edited:
Aiko blushed a little when both of her senior thanked her for the meal. It felt nice to be useful for something, given her pass failures. Aiko nodded to her lords comment. Cooking breakfast everyday was not something she was doing out of obligation. She enjoyed it really. At home she never had the free time to practice making big or complicated meals. Also it made her feel useful to the team, though next sparring class she planned to show out her new techniques.

"Thank you for your kindness our Lord but we hold no grudge with this new life given to us."

She kept smiling though inside she the anger from being unable to avenge her parents festered. It was her only dream and goal. Her true reason for growing stronger.

"We will grow stronger and prove our selves as your knight our lord."

• Love
Aster tried his best to hide his uncomfortable feelings at basically being worshiped. He was not exactly fond of that sort of attitude though he knew it was necessary thing on his part. He was after all an unholy monster through and through no matter how much he didn't like the thought of it. He had given up everything and he had made others do so as well. It was part of being a king to be obeyed, to be held up on a pedestal, to be a focal point for his people. It didn't mean he had to enjoy it. "I thank you sincerely for your efforts in trying. Some children in this city would take their abilities for granted and try and brush me off without any effort. I want to believe in you. I sincerely do. Just please remember that you're not in this alone. As your king you can come to me if you need too. I am after all the lord of this house. Even if I am not the grand lord of everything." Aster commented nonchalantly as he kept eating Ivan only looked over to Aster and raised an eyebrow before going back to eating his own food without any hint of grace.

• Love
Aiko put on a small smile before returning to the stove to finish making breakfast. She was glad things were getting better for her. She could remember the fear from when Aster was pissed for attacking the now dead devil. To think that the only people who were still around was Lord Aster, Star, Ivan, and dag. All very powerful beings who she aspired to protect. She had to get stronger, She had to improve not only for her aspirations but to protect her new family. She was their knight even if she had to act in the shadows. After finishing the plates for the last three people no including herself, She moved to the table next to Ivan. She took a bite out of her meal and was even surprised at how much she improved.

Sitting at the table she realized something. She had not seen Val in a while. All of her treatment has came from Star and had been normal human treatment. She looked up to Ivan who had been silent this whole time. After a brief pause, she opened her mouth.

"Ivan... when will Val be coming back?"

• Love
"You're really going to make me say it aren't you?" Ivan grumbled as he leaned up and cracked his knuckles idly. He looked over to Aiko with a plain face and considered his next words carefully. "She probably ran into an exorcist, or a devil. She's gone. That's bad not just because we lost a valued ally but bad because we lost our second bishop piece. I didn't know her all too well. We were always just friends and servants of Aster. I will miss her in our own way but we must move on. There is the chance she is still alive, it's only been a day, but it's slim given the current circumstances." Ivan said with a sobering calmness to him. It was clear this wasn't the first time he's talked about a fallen ally. "When a devil dies it can't be helped, you can mourn for them but that's just about it. If you want to last longer you're going to need to stick close to the rest of us. One day you will be strong enough to handle yourself I promise you. I'll be here for you if you need it but first and foremost you need to consider for yourself how strong you aim to be and then train, and scrap for every inch until you get there. Eventually you'll hit a wall but that happens to all of us. Even I've hit that wall before."

• Love
Fushimi walked down the street, he was dressed casually in a black-tee, gray sweats, and black sneakers. His left hand was shoved into his pocket while his right carried his katana that was slung over his shoulder. As he made his way to his masters new living quarters, he was smoking a bud. The past two days he had been training there, as he didn't want to ruin his dojo. Once there he finished his bud before stepping on it and walking in. Making his way into the main room he could smell food from the kitchen. Sitting on the opposite end of the couch to Ivan he spoke, "Hey what's up?" he said looking at the tv. He looked at everyone in the room, noticing expressions. "Uh-um did I come at a bad time?" he asked awkwardly.

(boom finally posted, I was going to post yesterday but I passed out while I was writing it)

• Love
Alice froze in terror after Ivan mentioned Val was probably dead. To think someone with powers like her and that gun would be defeated so quickly. To think that could have been her. She could not die now, she had to get revenge for her family. She had to get stronger soon. After Ivan finished, she planned to leave the table but one of the new guys arrived in the kitchen. "Sorry... uhh... let us get your plate ready." She stumbled out of her chair but caught her balance as she reached one of the two plates.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.