Gearing up for NaNoWriMo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Character Discussion:
1. Does your character's name mean anything to them? Would they change it they could? Why or why not?
2. Who does your character love more than anyone else? Why? How does this love impact them as a person/creature/whatever?
3. What is your character's Lie? What is their Truth? (Lie: The lie about the world around them that the character believes. Truth: The thing your character needs to learn... what about their Lie is wrong. For example, in the movie Cars Lightning McQueen's lie is "life is a one-man show," and his truth is "life is more successful and enjoyable when you have a team of friends helping you out.")

Character Discussion:
1. What is your protagonist trying to achieve? Why? [This should not be 'defeat antagonist']
2. What is your antagonist trying to achieve? Why? [This should not be 'defeat protagonist.' This is assuming the antagonist is sentient]
3. What are the stakes should the protagonist fail to achieve their goal?
4. How must the protagonist change from who they are in the beginning of the narrative to defeat the antagonistic force and gain their goal?
5. Will the protagonist achieve their goal? Why or why not?
6. How will the protagonist be different at the end than they were in the beginning? Are they a better or worse person?
7. How will the protagonists goals/wishes change over the course of the story?

Worldbuilding Discussion: (note: 'world' can refer to planet, continent, city, or any location)
1. What is the geography like?
2. Taking into consideration the geography, what are staple foods of the creatures of this world?
3. What level of technology does this world posses?
4. How do people earn their living? Is their a diversity of work, or does the majority of society do one line of work?
5. What is the political climate of this world?
6. How do people dress, taking into consideration geography?
7. What is the population size of this world? Big, small? Does the size of the population impact the world in any notable way (ie: overpopulation causes food shortages)?
1. My protagonist is trying to regain his freedom. Captivity wears him down mentally.
2. The antagonist is specifically trying to break the MC's spirit, and to reduce him to a mere plaything.
3. Should the protagonist fail, he remains enslaved.
4. Steadily, bit by bit, he must learn to circumvent the villain by pretending to be broken.
5. No. He fails because the one belief he carried throughout life is fundamentally wrong: you will not be left alone.
6. He is but a shadow of his former self by the end. Barely cognizant, yet a flicker of hope burns inside.
7. The protagonist's goals change from earning his freedom to protecting the freedom of his loved ones.
~
1. Venus is a hellish landscape, but in my setting, it is a steaming jungle with sprawling cities.
2. Genetically-modified plants and animals feed the population. Thousands of years of progress have allowed hybrids to eliminate most other nonhuman life forms. Unfortunately, this also means deadlier organisms.
3. Technology is highly-advanced. Dark matter, or Darcma for short, allows for immense feats of engineering and weaponry.
4. Hunting and slavery are the staples of the Venusian economy. With so many mixed-and-matched creatures living in close proximity, many stave off boredom by embracing danger or searching for their next trophy kill.
5. An absolute monarchy reigns supreme. Of course, there are lesser officials, but a princess keeps the planet in her grip.
6. The blazing heat forces clothing to be somewhat revealing. Comparable to Greek togas.
7. Huge. In the billions, in fact. This creates a situation where entire cities are built underground.

2. The antagonist is specifically trying to break the MC's spirit, and to reduce him to a mere plaything.

What is something your antagonist wants that doesn't directly involve the protagonist?

I am also participating for NaNoWriMo.

But now I have concerns because I need a book cover, well crap. And book covers can easily be 100-400 dollars. This will be a doozy :/

But now I have concerns because I need a book cover, well crap. And book covers can easily be 100-400 dollars. This will be a doozy :/
I conned a boy who was sweet on me to draw art for me. :P

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Legens Legentis

You don't need a book cover. (: This isn't a publishing endeavor; there isn't any promise of publishing at the end. Plus, tons of people will make free covers on the NaNo website forums, if you take a peek.

You don't need a book cover. (: This isn't a publishing endeavor; there isn't any promise of publishing at the end. Plus, tons of people will make free covers on the NaNo website forums, if you take a peek.

You sure? Because when it says to submit a novel, one of the things you have to do is submit a book cover...is that part just optional then?

You sure? Because when it says to submit a novel, one of the things you have to do is submit a book cover...is that part just optional then?
It's completely optional, although it reminds you that statistically, you have higher odds of finishing if you have a cover. :P

Literally all I did for mine was pull a picture off of Pixabay and crop it to fit, and the only reason I did that was because the empty cover spot was annoying me. I'll probably make a nicer one later.

What is something your antagonist wants that doesn't directly involve the protagonist?
To crush dissent. Maintaining power is quite literally their obsession.

Yep! As Joan said, it's compleyely optional. Plenty of people just use images cropped to fit. You can also get an artist to make you a free one on their forums. (: Or, I'm sure one of the artists here would be willing to make one for you.

I'm still trying to think about what kind of story I want to do. In the last several years I've basically found myself not finishing the projects I set out to do even with a deadline or concept down. I want to build my portfolio per ce, but I'm dreading that this year will be a repeat of last year when I got stuck on chapter two. Should I chalk it up to bad luck and continue how I operate or write out of order or something entirely different?

Reactions: Nav
I'm still trying to think about what kind of story I want to do. In the last several years I've basically found myself not finishing the projects I set out to do even with a deadline or concept down. I want to build my portfolio per ce, but I'm dreading that this year will be a repeat of last year when I got stuck on chapter two. Should I chalk it up to bad luck and continue how I operate or write out of order or something entirely different?
As they say, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and expecting a different result. It doesn't mean that your plan is bad or wrong, or that your story isn't interesting, or you're going into NaNo with too little ideas/thoughts/outlines... but I'd suggest try changing something this year, even if it's just one small thing. For example, when I get stuck, I participate in word wars (also called sprints). For a set amount of time, usually ten or fifteen minutes, you and another person/group write as much as you can. When that time is up, you share the number of words you wrote. There isn't any winners or losers officially, as every word is a victory, but it's nice when you see yourself with the highest word count. (:

• Thank You
Reactions: Gowi
A "sprint" might be a good idea if I network with more NaNo participants, yeah. I'm just trying to deduce why my contributions never get past 20,000 words. Never can make the big finish.

A "sprint" might be a good idea if I network with more NaNo participants, yeah. I'm just trying to deduce why my contributions never get past 20,000 words. Never can make the big finish.
If you're into Discord, we (Iwakuians) have a NaNo server you can find in the opening post. I plan on running sprints all throughout November, and I'm sure other people will run them, as well. Otherwise, we can always organise some here, on the site!

On the subject of book covers, I am by no means a professional, but I'm more than happy to whip something up for anyone who wants one!

With the examples, please note that the first three are templates that never got titles because they didn't already belong to specific stories (or they did and I just didn't have titles lol). Also, 4b is just an alternate version for the same book.

Examples:
#1 #2 #3 #4 #4b #5 #6 #7 #8

Last edited:
I can also do book covers, though Starlighter is doing them for free and I'd want like $5 for mine because I am poor and need monies.

Samples tho:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

(2 and 3 were collabs with @Diana)

TWELVE HOURS

edit .... omg clearly I have brain damage or something ...

THIS SHOULD SAY TWENTY-FOUR HOURS OOPS

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and Astaroth
Current NaNo song cause OMG only a couple hours left for use North-Americans:

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.