Gearing up for NaNoWriMo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd share my plotting tool, if you're interested:
Novel Outline

Please feel free to share any plotting tools you have, as well. (:

CameraZOOM-20171011094553962.jpg

I love this method, cause I can just pull out a card and start writing! And I don't get distracted by too many windows open XD

Plotist is a website I use for worldbuilding, though it can also be used for outlining stories. I'm using it for both of those for my Nano this year o.o

Reactions: Nav
Would anyone else be interested in either a Discord server or a temp channel on the Iwaku Discord (if that is a possibility?).

Would anyone else be interested in either a Discord server or a temp channel on the Iwaku Discord (if that is a possibility?).
I can start a server. I can also ask the powers at be about an iwaku channel.

• Love
Reactions: Joan
Interested in chatting?:
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Also, I'm going to start posting small workshops everyday! They're just a few questions to get you thinking about something in your novel. Feel free to post your responses here, or keep them private.

Character Discussion:

1. What does your character falsely believe about the world around them? Is this different from other characters? How does this have an impact on them or the narrative?

2. What is the character's most powerful memory from their past? Why is this memory so lasting?

3. What advice would you give your character if you could give them only one piece?

Worldbuilding Discussion:

1. What is one thing your culture consider morally corrupt (gambling, drinking, hanky-panky)? Is it illegal? If so, to what extent? Do people still do it?

2. Who is the major figurehead of your nation/state/town/kingdom/country? What type of leader are they (giving, iron-fisted, war-mongering)? Do they hold a lot of power, or are they just the figurehead? If they are just a figurehead, who/what truly holds the power?

3. What is the available technology in your world? What device/object/whatever is considered "cutting-edge"?

:D

Interested in chatting?:
Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Also, I'm going to start posting small workshops everyday! They're just a few questions to get you thinking about something in your novel. Feel free to post your responses here, or keep them private.

Character Discussion:

1. What does your character falsely believe about the world around them? Is this different from other characters? How does this have an impact on them or the narrative?

2. What is the character's most powerful memory from their past? Why is this memory so lasting?

3. What advice would you give your character if you could give them only one piece?

1. What is one thing your culture consider morally corrupt (gambling, drinking, hanky-panky)? Is it illegal? If so, to what extent? Do people still do it?

2. Who is the major figurehead of your nation/state/town/kingdom/country? What type of leader are they (giving, iron-fisted, war-mongering)? Do they hold a lot of power, or are they just the figurehead? If they are just a figurehead, who/what truly holds the power?

3. What is the available technology in your world? What device/object/whatever is considered "cutting-edge"?

:D
1. My protagonist believes that others will leave him alone because he works honestly and does harm to no one.
He is sorely mistaken. This belief throws him into a culture shock of sorts when everyone else disagrees with his views.
2. Probably his first time visiting a cave. Specifically one used in mining, as that inspired his choice of career.
3. "Be wary of tracking devices."

1. Virtual reality is a big no-no. Highly illegal, yet VR dens still emerge every now and again.
2. A princess by the name of Maya rules Venus with an iron fist, yet even she is subservient to her 'father', the Terran King.
3. Dark matter technology is the new nuclear.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Interested in chatting?:
NaNoWriMo Chat - Discord

Character Discussion:
1. Would your character rather be hated for being who they are, or loved for pretending to be someone else? Why?

2. What is one flaw your character has at the beginning of the narrative? How does that flaw change, grow, or evolve by the end of the narrative? How does that flaw impact their actions and/or the story?

3. What is a strength your character has at the end of the narrative, but not at the beginning? How is that strength fostered or developed during the events of the narrative?

1. Do the laws of nature and physics act differently from our world? Or are they the same?

2. How does your world differ physically from Earth?

3. How has the race of your MC evolved/adapted/changed to fit the climate/terrain of your world?

*whispers* Eight more days

• Useful
  • Love
Reactions: Greenie and Joan
I'll probably be pantsing 95% of this but let's try those questions to see if I can flesh out things 8D I'm terrible at planning, just like in roleplaying I much more of a reactionary writer and everything is made on the spot and I magically somehow weave all this in my brain so that everything still makes sense. >__>

Also for those who haven't seen me talk about it or noticed it on my NaNo page, I'll be writing an erotic novel, because that's what I know best and feel the most confident writing. #THESEXISTHEPLOT

Character Discussion:

1. The MC will have a lot of misconceptions about the world of relationships, dating, boundaries, etc. Most of it will have come from terrible parental example, then from the terrible media representation of RomCom movies and the like. It isn't that different from other young adults who have strange expectations about relationships but things will happen to the main character that'll leave a lasting impact on them.

2. The character will find out that one of their parents is cheating, and while this becomes a heavy secret for them, they discover that the other parent is aware of it and isn't doing anything about it (at least, in their perspective). As they get older they will often reflect on this memory and manage to work through the anger and resentment.

3. Pffft this is hard. I think the best advice I would give them is "trust your instincts". So many times we make decisions we regret because we were trying to impress someone or force ourselves to accept the undesirable. I suppose another advice (I KNOW I'M CHEATING SHH) would be make sure they go through life and hardships while taking advantage of it all, to find the silver linings in the bad, so that there is minimal regret at the end of their life.

Character Discussion:
1. Would your character rather be hated for being who they are, or loved for pretending to be someone else? Why?

2. What is one flaw your character has at the beginning of the narrative? How does that flaw change, grow, or evolve by the end of the narrative? How does that flaw impact their actions and/or the story?

3. What is a strength your character has at the end of the narrative, but not at the beginning? How is that strength fostered or developed during the events of the narrative?

1. This will actually be an important element for the character's growth throughout the story. At first they'll try to be someone that everyone loves, because it seems like life is easier when they are liked. They will come to find that being true to themselves is a lot more rewarding and that it doesn't matter if it makes it so others don't like them.

2. Not so much of a flaw I suppose, but the character will be weak-willed and easily manipulated at first. They are meek and have trouble keeping their head high. This will definitely change throughout the story as they become more confident and shed unhealthy conceptions about things. In the beginning, it will impact a lot of their decisions and how they perceive other characters' actions and intentions.

3. The main character will gain their independence by the end of the story, along with a handful of things that can only be gained through experience and hardships.

I skipped the worldbuilding questions because I'm doing a modern and mundane setting.

Thank you so much @Nav for those character questions O__O they really made me think about my main character in ways that wouldn't have been obvious otherwise and I look forward to more!!

EDIT: Also, thinking through those questions has given me the title of the story 8D I'mma be a cheeky brat and call it Woman.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I AM TRYING THIS TIME. MAYBE I'LL ACTUALLY DO IT. (I probably will fail yet again though. >:[)

National Novel Writing Month <- You can add mes

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Pahn and Joan
Character Discussion:
1. What is your protagonist trying to achieve? Why? [This should not be 'defeat antagonist']
2. What is your antagonist trying to achieve? Why? [This should not be 'defeat protagonist.' This is assuming the antagonist is sentient]
3. What are the stakes should the protagonist fail to achieve their goal?
4. How must the protagonist change from who they are in the beginning of the narrative to defeat the antagonistic force and gain their goal?
5. Will the protagonist achieve their goal? Why or why not?
6. How will the protagonist be different at the end than they were in the beginning? Are they a better or worse person?
7. How will the protagonists goals/wishes change over the course of the story?

Worldbuilding Discussion: (note: 'world' can refer to planet, continent, city, or any location)
1. What is the geography like?
2. Taking into consideration the geography, what are staple foods of the creatures of this world?
3. What level of technology does this world posses?
4. How do people earn their living? Is their a diversity of work, or does the majority of society do one line of work?
5. What is the political climate of this world?
6. How do people dress, taking into consideration geography?
7. What is the population size of this world? Big, small? Does the size of the population impact the world in any notable way (ie: overpopulation causes food shortages)?

• Love
Reactions: Joan
YEA BOI, MORE VICTIMS PEOPLE.

Also, I wanted to crack out one last Nanowrimo-related blog post before it all kicks off. You guys have probably planned what you're writing, but you should put some thought to where you write too.

Great blog post! Furthermore, a lot of valuable advice I used in the past, and will use again this year. I can not emphasis how important it is to make writing a habit and put it into your schedule. It's easy to "tomorrow" your month away!

That being said, would anyone like to post their story's two sentence summary?

"In a world populated by elemental elves, tension is thick as the Fire Nation tries to recover from their almost complete wipeout at the hands of the Water Nation, despite being the first to attack. Now, a young Water Elf with a grudge seeks out the legendary source of the Fire Elves' power, and with the help of an Ice Elf, discovers a lurking danger hidden under snow and tundra."

A bit wordy but there's so much backstory for this one that I wasn't sure how to word it. (Also I know it's a bit juvenile, but I came up with the idea when I was 14, so give me a little break. It has some artwork for it though!)

• Love
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Joan and Nav
I tend to be a rebel during this and i go in to edit and revise my stories. And i get them to the 50k goal

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nav and Joan
Status
Not open for further replies.