Game of Thrones Season 8 hype and discussion thread

So I just saw this vid and it pretty much reflects my sentiments on episode 3

Oooh okay. I'm waiting for the series to be finished before getting the books as a collection lol.

And basically the Night King's goal was to erase humanity from existence. Bran is a record of humanity and needed to go.

Overall I was very impressed with this episode. It had me at the edge of my seat and practically screaming at my TV. I had so many ups and downs. It was great.

I'll start with the Dothraki. It was very fitting that they would be the first to charge forward. It was what the Dothraki always did. They never backed down from a fight and a Dothraki hoard coming at you is supposed to be scary. I really thought they had a chance when Melisandre lit up their weapons. Alas, they were extinguished in about a minute and I went from Yeah! to..uh oh. My biggest concern was Jorah and Ghost and was happy to see they made it out of that particular situation.

I was pretty much stressed most of the episode. I'm glad everyone made it out relatively unscathed but was expecting a lot more character deaths in this episode. We'll probably see our favorites die in the battle against Cersei but I would have thought that the Night King would have really taken down more of the main characters.

Lyanna Mormont = Badass! Little girl took down a giant while he was crushing her to death. Dang!
RIP House Mormont

I was half expecting Bran to be the one to kill the Night King. I thought he might have a piece of dragon glass in his chair or something. But I think Bran was just recording the battle in his memories, watching the entire battle but also calling the Night King to him. Until Bran wargs, the Night King doesn't show himself. So I think Bran was doing what he did best...be a target.

OMG Theon. He fought until the very end. He really redeemed himself and knowing that he would die, he charged at the Night King anyway. Loved it.

I know a lot of people were disappointed with the way the Night King died but I really feel like there was no other way to get him. They were basically battling him throughout the episode. Dany and Jon on the dragons trying to chase after him and get him in the sky, Dany hitting him straight on with dragon fire and it doing absolutely nothing to him, and Jon trying to charge at him but unable to get anywhere near him. He HAD to be snuck up on. He had to be taken by surprise and that person HAD to be fast with him. You can't give the Night King a single moment to blink or he gets the upper hand. I was like "YEESS! ARYA! YAASSS!" I was glad it wasn't Jon. It would have been too predictable.

I did have a few heart attacks with Dany. I was like NOOOOO! This is not how she ends! Especially when all the wights attacked Drogon and he flew away without her. I was panicked. Then Jorah, Senor Friendzone, protects her until the end. I thought that was a fitting end to Jorah, that he would die saving Dany. I think even Drogon was sad to see him die. Very touching.

What was the point of Melisandre anyway? Took off her necklace and just died. Like WTF? I guess she fulfilled her purpose but also didn't want the Onion King to kill her as payback for Shireen? Whatevs.

Excited for the new 3 episodes. Can't wait to see how this all ends.

#DanyandJonTaketheIronThroneTogether

Reactions: Blizzer and unanun
This episode highlights my approach to film, that the audience in film is generally supposed to be taking in what the directors want to show us. In that context I enjoyed it thoroughly, and the cinematography was superb. Some people are disappointed because they had their own expectations, strong expectations, which I think is always a recipe for disaster.

With any medium there should be a certain suspension of disbelief, otherwise you can question anything to death that way. Every time I read or watch a rant that takes something apart, I always think they should have had a discussion with themselves first, to try and play devil's advocate against themselves so they can at least prove it wasn't a kneejerk reaction to their own expectations - which the show has no obligation to meet.

I've read many complaints about the lighting in the episode. HBO took a gamble by assuming that enough people would have a properly set up home cinema to enjoy it. I'm certainly glad that my setup was able to properly capture the episode. The lighting was essential, and reminded me of Stranger Things finales.

Last edited:
RpAg8ma.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jorick
This episode highlights my approach to film, that the audience in film is generally supposed to be taking in what the directors want to show us. In that context I enjoyed it thoroughly, and the cinematography was superb. Some people are disappointed because they had their own expectations, strong expectations, which I think is always a recipe for disaster.

With any medium there should be a certain suspension of disbelief, otherwise you can question anything to death that way. Every time I read or watch a rant that takes something apart, I always think they should have had a discussion with themselves first, to try and play devil's advocate against themselves so they can at least prove it wasn't a kneejerk reaction to their own expectations - which the show has no obligation to meet.

I've read many complaints about the lighting in the episode. HBO took a gamble by assuming that enough people would have a properly set up home cinema to enjoy it. I'm certainly glad that my setup was able to properly capture the episode. The lighting was essential, and reminded me of Stranger Things finales.

I don't think it's exactly fair to say that expectations are a recipe for disaster and to insinuate that those who were disappointed with the latest episode didn't suspend disbelief, or were acting according to a kneejerk reaction. I think all of us who consume fiction, especially a fantasy like Game of Thrones, already suspend disbelief by default. It's just that there's a limit to how much disbelief one can suspend. And it gets very hard to suspend it when Arya has godlike powers and most of the main characters survive multiple near-death situations in one episode through sheer luck... among others.

We all had our expectations. Whilst it's fine and dandy to consume media and just not expect too much out of it (I mean, it is meant to be entertainment after all), it's also just as fine and dandy--even a good thing--to be critical of what we consume. I personally fell in love with GoT because it was a show where consequences mattered and the characters were multilayered. There were prophecies, lore, foreshadowing... which were all just seemingly thrown out the window in the latest episode. In my opinion, that's just bad writing. And for a show that promised to deliver something more, yes, it was disappointing to me.

But hey, that's just my opinion. If you liked the episode, good on you. There were a lot of things I liked about it too. For instance:

QzO4pjG.png

Holy shit, if that isn't beautiful.

Last edited:
Melisandre has been consistently wrong about everything, so I don't really expect much of any prophecy... or lore... the show was pretty light on both, and the show isn't the books.

With regards to Arya, I don't see why her kill contradicts any of GoT's storytelling themes. The episode was pretty explicit about the NK not risking his neck any more than necessary, and I was quite delighted that the NK brushed off Jon instead of engaging in a heroic duel to the death with him.

I have to disagree: show GoT seems pretty heavy on both lore and prophecy to me. And even if it wasn't, there's Chekhov's gun.

And I never said I had a problem with Arya killing NK. I'm just disappointed at the lack of consequence and the persistent use of deus ex machina (i.e. Arya jumping out of nowhere, completely undetected until the last minute, to save the day)--which was the very thing GoT was trying to subvert in its earlier seasons. That, to me, is what contradicts GoT's theme.

If NK didn't want to risk his neck, he could have just sat the war out, let the wights and other white walkers do all the work. It would have been more interesting if he had gone straight for King's Landing and burned it to the ground. If only to make his (and the WW army's) whole existence more significant and impactful.

Reactions: Blizzer
The only prophecy I got was Melisandre failing on all of her predictions. And for lore ... even up until now, I don't know much about the old and new gods, children of the forest, or much about the white walkers or the night king, or on things like old Valyria. I think the show spent much more time on Lannister-Targaryen dynastic struggle.

I can't see where does Chehkov's gun apply here, can you point it out?

The NK personally killed the last Three Eyed Raven, and also waited until the battle was essentially finished before walking in. There is some precedence for his actions, at least!

I don't see where Arya avoided any consequences in the final scene .. I won't argue whether or not the show did a good or bad job, but Arya has had plenty of foreshadowing in this episode, and prior ones, to be the one that could attempt such a move. In this episode, we are reminded of how sneaky she is, and also she very significantly walks off camera in the room with Clegane and Melisandre. I would not call that deus ex machina.

My only problem with the ending of last episode was that Ayra jumped from no where. Where did she jump from? It looked like she teleported into a jump. If she had been hiding as someone nearby or even if she'd jumped from one of the trees. But she came from freakin NO WHERE. Hell she came from the direction that all the Whites were standing. So, what none of the noticed her? Is she also an Olympic level long jumper? Don't recall that in her training.

The jump is my only issue. It felt lazy.

Reactions: Blizzer
The only prophecy I got was Melisandre failing on all of her predictions. And for lore ... even up until now, I don't know much about the old and new gods, children of the forest, or much about the white walkers or the night king, or on things like old Valyria. I think the show spent much more time on Lannister-Targaryen dynastic struggle.

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect heavy lore exposition from a TV show; I imagine that would be very boring. But we're at the very least led to believe that all the hints, the prophecies, and the foreshadowing tie in together--that there is meaning to them, other than to simply act as an elaborate red herring. The show has focused on the politics until the past few seasons, that is true. But isn't that to drive the point home that all this politicking is meaningless in the face of the real threat? The show started with the White Walkers; it should end with the White Walkers. Not Cersei, who also by the way, has had prophecies made about her.

But who knows, there are three episodes left. Maybe there's another big plot twist but I'm not holding my breath.

I can't see where does Chehkov's gun apply here, can you point it out?

Chekhov's gun = every element in a story must be necessary. We're told time and again about this "Azor Ahai" figure, to what end? What was its purpose? If it all meant nothing, was it really that necessary to include it?

I don't see where Arya avoided any consequences in the final scene

I didn't specify Arya there. I meant that there was a lack of consequences in general (Jon fighting all these resurrected wights instead of just getting the heck out of there, the laughably ridiculous battle strategies that somehow manage to work in the end, Dany doing a dumb and not flying her dragon when the wights tried to attack, the list goes on). Although Arya too has done some notably stupid stuff in the past that should have led to lasting consequences, if the show were still following the original GoT theme.

I won't argue whether or not the show did a good or bad job, but Arya has had plenty of foreshadowing in this episode, and prior ones, to be the one that could attempt such a move.

It was forced at best.

In this episode, we are reminded of how sneaky she is, and also she very significantly walks off camera in the room with Clegane and Melisandre. I would not call that deus ex machina.

It's hard to forget how much of a badass assassin she is, honestly. We're frequently reminded of that. It's been hammered on to our heads at this point. I just fail to see how a wight can hear a few drops of blood whereas an entire group of White Walkers somehow completely fail to notice this screaming girl flying across the Godswood--extremely unlikely and therefore a deus ex machina in my book.

I binged through GoT up to S7, as recently as last year, and I don't remember any strongly specific prophecies, especially Azor Ahai (which a lot of articles were published on after this episode to remind us of ...). I'm probably forgetful. I dislike prophecies in general for fantasy anyways; it's just a baited fishhook for people to over-theorize, like any sort of divination - vague enough to be essentially useless. Case and point: the blue eyes prophecy, argued by some as significant, argued by others as not.

I think we will end up approaching this episode from two different perspectives. I approach the episode by accepting what happened as canon, and try to justify it from there. For example, why didn't anyone notice Arya? We have plenty of examples that the Night King controls the White Walkers, who control wights. I can believe that as the Night King is singularly focused on Bran, and because at that point the battle seems 99% won, that at that point he is the most vulnerable. Arya significantly walked off camera the last time we see her, and I knew with certainty that she was off to find a secret passage to somewhere - I didn't know to where and to do what, at that time.

The other perspective is to be unsatisfied with the canon as presented. I don't think it's wrong to be unsatisfied, but it leads to clashes of logic that will never be resolved. For example, you may argue that it seems unreasonable for every single part of the Night King's army to be so completely lax to allow Arya to leap at the NK from behind. That's fair, but that also stems from your fundamental rejection of canon. It's impossible to reconcile two arguments that stem from incompatible axioms.

Ultimately, it's like arguing about the number of days after Jesus' ressurection: I'm satisfied with X days, but you think it should be Y. Neither is right or wrong, it just depends on what you want to be satisfied with.

I'm not sure I'm following your argument there. I was criticizing the show's writing. I don't see how that relates to a "fundamental rejection of canon" or Jesus' resurrection for that matter.

In any case, you're right: we definitely have two different perspectives on this matter. My opinions, in the end, are just my opinions. In the overall scheme of things, they're not going to change anything. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
What I mean is that if I am satisfied with the episode, that implies that I am satisfied with the writing (which I am). I accept the sequence of events A, B, C ... as they are shown (and therefore written and portrayed). However, you cannot accept, say, event B: for example, you labeled parts of the show as deus ex machina - implying that the events portrayed in the episode are impossible or do not follow given what you've seen leading up to that point. I try to fill in the gaps between A and B, but you don't think B could have happened at all.

This disagreement probably boils down to our thresholds to suspend disbelief. You've got a different set of criteria from mine, which is fine and I respect that! I've also been on your side: in the kdrama "Mr. Sunshine", the first episode ends with a guy shot in the head, but he still manages to give a speech before dying. I could not bring myself to watch any more.

Back to the Arya thing: if the episode was filmed such that we never see Arya at all until she leaps out of nowhere, I would have been horrified. But to me, the director gave her enough checkmarks that it didn't trip any red flags for me.

Reactions: unanun
Last night's episode:

1. Poor Gendry. #burn
2. RIP Missendei
3. RIP Rhaegal
4. YAASS Jaime and Brienne! Also, poor Brienne.
5. Say hello to the Mad Queen. Dracarys!
6. Jon Snow for the Iron Throne.

Excited for next week's episode. I believe that will be the episode where a lot of our favorites will die.

• Love
Reactions: Spekkun
I'm actually happy Missendei died, if only because I get to mock a friend who was a big fan of her character, and laughed at Margaery's death >:] comeuppance is hella sweet.

I'm definitely ready to see Dany snap o.o I feel bad for everyone, sans Cersei and her crew, in those city walls. Their queen has probably screwed them over. Definitely dug her own grave even deeper...still, I love Cersei's character so much that I find myself somewhat agreeing with @Aero Blue in wanting some sort of a final laugh/victory for her, even if it is her remaining on the Iron Throne

As sad as I get over characters/animals dying... I felt disappointed at how few of the big characters died in episode 3. In my pov a few tragic deaths are needed to make episodes even better, especially huge battle ones as that one. I didn't get that 'OOMPF' I was expecting from the episode, which was lame since I'd been hearing everybody talking about just how bloody mindblowing it'd be. But it was still super cool. I loved that scene with Sansa and Tyrion in the crypts, and for a moment I was terrified they'd be dying together or something... so a good effort there! It was cool and all to watch the dragons fighting, but I felt like they were taking a bit too much of the screen time with just flying around and whatnot. Lyanna's scene was very powerful, as well as Theon's. I feel like Jorah's death was a bit predictable... because it was really just about damn time he'd die for Dany.

I KIND OF WANT TO KNOW WHERE ARYA POPPED UP FROM WHEN SHE KILLED THE NIGHT KING.

I'm pretty sure Dany is going to be going just as crazy as her father, very soon, and Jon will probably be the one to kill her. I just hope that she wont kill any of my favs (ahem, Sansa or Tyrion) before she's put down. As much as I loved her in the first seasons, she's become more and more annoying to me and someone that's getting way too full of herself and too demanding on everyone around her. She's expecting everyone at Winterfell to crawl at her feet the instant she shows up and gets all offended when they don't. Like, calm down sistah.

For who sits on the throne at the end... I suppose it's most logical it'll be Jon? But I keep thinking maybe we'll be surprised big time.

Pretty sure Jaime is going to be the one to kill Cersei and possibly himself afterwards.

Tyrion and Sansa better live through everything >(

Will there be any dragons left when this is done, or will they perish alongside their mommy? ... probably.

Note, I haven't seen episode 4 as I write this, so maybe I'm missing out on something.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun
I'm a little disappointed with the pacing of the show. Supposedly D&D wanted to end GoT quickly and it shows: Ep 4 just seems like the bare minimum setup for the big battle to come in Ep 5. Now, I certainly won't complain about another episode in the spirit of 3, because 3 was masterfully shot, but Ep 4 took the exposition of 1 and 2 and squeezed everything together. For example, I get that Danny is supposed to lose a dragon, but there was barely any narrative exposition to justify that loss.