Game of Thrones Season 8 hype and discussion thread

I've given some thought to it and i've changed my mind

I want Cersei to win.

blows up some white walkers with wildfire (if they got any left)
becomes remembered as a hero in history
legions of fans become upset

also i change my mind: melisandre, in the spirit of being historically shit at prophecy, lives

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jorick
Only main character not allowed to die is Arya. I like her too much. Everyone else (especially Jon and Dany, who I have not cared for since season 6) is free to die as they please.

KING DAVOS 2K19

:cookie:

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Jorick
SHOUT OUT TO THE NUMEROUS DEATH FLAGS PLANTED

It seems like this was probably the first real nod towards Tyrion's run of a full season or so of being entirely ineffective.

It's probably because the passage of time in real-life never occurs to me while watching TV, but an Arya sex scene was one of the last things I ever expected.

That Giantsbane story was fucking surreal.

Podrick reaffirming his big dick energy.

"Waiting for the right moment." yeah haha sam, jon snow is really good at that hahaha

Oof, this episode. They did a really good job (by the latter half of the episode) of capturing that sense of impending doom. Everyone all sorts of fucked up by knowing the army of the dead is getting close, and they're just all seeking whatever solace they can find before the end comes for them. The scene that really made it all sink in hard was Pod singing while showing people having these last nice moments of human connection before the fight.

That scene of Brienne getting knighted was a solid one-two combo to the feels for me. The one was seeing Brienne finally get the recognition and validation she deserves, from a man she respects and admires (and loves), after being the most gallant and noble warrior in the entire fucking series. Nobody deserves to claim the title of 'knight' more than Brienne of Tarth. The two came from realizing that this was a conclusion for her story arc and very likely a death flag being planted right at her feet. Overall that whole scene is probably one of the best in the show's history, top ten maybe, and easily in the top five scenes for getting me in the feels.

The first 15 minutes being the Jaime episode was nice, good way to make sure he's nice and integrated into things before the battle comes. I really hope all the reminders of shit he's done in the past were laid out in order to have a sharp contrast with something great to come from his future. Whether it's just dying heroically to save someone else, or theories about him being the actual prophesied Prince That Was Promised being right, dude has come a long way and earned some kind of redemption.

Pod definitely has big dick energy. He lays pipes well enough to make whores give him a freebie, and he has pipes in the less vulgar sense as well. Dude's an absolute legend, second only to the most interesting man in Westeros: Samwell fucking Tarly. The man was the first in centuries to kill a White Walker, he killed a Thenn in defense of Castle Black, he fucked a wildling girl, he stole a Valyrian steel sword, he cured a man with such advanced Greyscale that a trained maester recommended suicide, and he stole a bunch of books from the Citadel. Badass motherfucker right here, even if he can't properly lift the stolen sword and needs to hand it off to Ser Friendzone.

Speaking of Jorah, I have compiled a list of all the people I strongly expect to die in the next episode, whether because of the forest of death flags planted in this episode or because it feels like their story is coming to an end sooner than the rest of the lot. 8D

Daenerys Targaryen
Jorah Mormont
Ser Brienne of Tarth
Grey Worm
Reek Theon Greyjoy
Beric Dondarrion
Tormund Giantsbane
Dolorous Edd

I expect all of them to die in the next episode, and I'll be very surprised if they survive. There will probably be other named characters who die, but I didn't see anyone else looking like they were being clearly marked for death with conclusions and farewells.

Also, the credits version of Jenny's Song by Florence + the Machine is really fucking good and HBO posted a full version with lyrics laid over scenes from the show.

I'm so happy about Arya and Gendry. O: I've been shipping them since the beginning. I also had a mom moment of AAHHH NO MUH BABBY NEKKID and forgot that actress is like 22 years old now.

I have a bad feeling for Arya's chances. Something she let slip during an interview make me think so. And more over some of the scenes from the trailer show her running in fear down hallways. Given how much of a badass she'd become. It's so weird to see her so afraid. :(

I love all of the characters. So I'm eager to see all their fates. But Arya is my favorite. I'm also really curious to see the two living dragons fight the undead dragon. :O

omg I HAD to drop this here

• Haha
Reactions: Pahn and Nemopedia
Wow, there was definitely a lot to unpack in that episode. I definitely loved it and it was great set-up episode to an episode that will surely have me at the edge of my seat, screaming and probably crying, next week.

As I thought, the interaction between Bran and Jaime wasn't too crazy. Bran's got bigger fish to fry and he was all like, "Yeah Jaime. We good."

The scene with Sansa and Dany was pretty interesting. Sansa's side eye game was on point and poor Dany's olive branch was very much rejected. I mean what else did Dany expect? She isn't going to be well received by everyone and Sansa isn't just going to give up the north because Dany is sleeping with Jon. Kudos to Sansa in that scene.

The scenes around the fire were very touching and YES! BRIENNE! FINALLY! I was happy when Jaime knighted her. It was so symbolic.
I still want Brienne to give poor Tormund a chance but that doesn't appear to be happening. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Jaime finally fall for someone other than his sister and Brienne would be perfect but one or the other is probably going to die next week.

Tormund = hilarious

I didn't care for the whole Arya sex scene. Definitely could've skipped it. I get that it was a coming of age type of thing for her but meh. Fast forward.

I was a little disappointed in the way Dany handled the news about Jon being a Targ. It was like, for a second, she forgot she loved him and was only worried about the iron throne. Like it was ok to be with him as long as he didn't threaten her claim. It could make for an interesting dynamic between them during the battle. If Dany doesn't trust Jon then it might be the cause of her demise. And DAMMIT DANY! Don't do this to me! I'm rooting for you!

Definitely counting down to Sunday's episode. If Dany dies, send buckets of pain killers and antidepressants my way.

FB_IMG_1556113599039.jpg

Saw this online. Lol. Probably accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: Diana
I was happy when Jaime knighted her. It was so symbolic.
There was a fun thing with that interaction that some people may have missed. The sword Jaime used to knight her, Widow's Wail, and Brienne's sword, Oathkeeper, were the two swords forged out of Ice, the ancestral Valryian steel greatsword of House Stark. It was very appropriate that the scene recognizing the most honorable warrior left alive was done in Winterfell with sort of reunion of Ned Stark's sword.

Oh.my.fucking.god.

I'm still recovering. Best GOT episode ever.

I'll write a more detailed review tomorrow. I just can't now.

Reactions: Dipper
Oh.my.fucking.god.

OH YES

that was fuckin awesome i am in shock
I was holding my breath the entire time. It was insane! The deep sense of sheer hopelessness instilled in not only those in the show, but us the viewers, was so masterfully done.

Between End Game yesterday, and GoT tonight, I'm just absolutely floored.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper
god bless you melisandre

I've watched the episode three times now. And the "piano score" scenes (towards the end of the episode, when we see Sansa and Tyrion staring at each other) and I just. Oh my fucking god. Bawling my eyes out.

"You're a good man. Thank you." -Bran to Theon

I just...... I can't! Theon has gone from friend to foe to vermin, and he's been trying to redeem himself despite the trauma inflicted upon him as he struggles to find where he truly belongs. And everything featuring Theon in this episode was absolutely brilliant. I loved it, and I've been saying for quite some time that Theon's gone through such drastic changes throughout the seasons, and Alfie Allen is probably one of the best actors on this show. The single tear coming down his cheek after Bran says Thank you has me completely SHOOK.

On another note, I sorta wish more "big name" characters had died, however I'm very happy with all the named character death scenes. I was expecting them to be somewhat insignificant given the battle, but no. I've never liked Jorah, but he fucking died like a champ. Holy shit. I don't know if that was intentional or if I'm seeing things, but it looks like at the end there he said "I love you" to Danaerys as he was dying in her arms. MORE TEARS FOR ME.

I probably have more to say, but that's really what's standing out for me at the moment. As soon as the piano starting playing, I turned to my SO and said "They playing piano, last time they did this Cersei had set a bunch of shit on fire and killing a bunch of people" XD so I was expecting something unexpected, I guess. And that unexpected thing was Arya sneaking behind the Night King and shanking him in the gut. Whew.

Reactions: Blizzer
anyways, episode was beautiful, music was beautiful, some hype moments, but, some really weird writing

- why is Sam alive?
- how did Jorah magick himself over to Dany?
- I'm assuming they'll go over what Bran was doing exactly but... just in the context of this episode, kind of perplexing
- if we're offing the Night King... we gotta have more notable losses, right? If only so that this all feels more... significant
- why Arya? And assuming Arya's a fine and dandy choice, wew the foreshadowing for her was real ham-handed.
- Dothraki INTING (not actually a big deal, tbf)
- so in the end, is it all about the living vs the dead? Or is the biggest showdown non-cunts vs Cersei, etc, all along?

Among other matters.

Can we all say a prayer for the Little Lady?

Here we stand.

Cause my god, she went out with a vicious scream and took out a fucking zombie giant with crushed lungs! I will miss her snark.

And seeing how human Arya was when she freaked with a horde of white walkers after her? Loved it. I was so pleased with her role in the Night King's death.

I honestly thought Jon was gonna have a crazy stand off with the dead dragon and stab him in the head or something but he fucking roared lmao. And a coworker mentioned that maybe he is fireproof like Danny? But he may not know about Danny's ability to walk through fire? I dunno, I was pretty unimpressed with him and somewhat disappointed that there was no big show down between him and the Night King even if it were only for a few minutes. And the way he bounced and left everyone to die? Daaaamn lol.

Danny finally picked up a sword even though she was kind of useless with it lol. Didn't mind Jorah dying. About time!

Ghost and Drogon are not dead! Yay!

I honestly thought Sansa and Tyrion were gonna kiss and commit suicide lol. Thankfully they didn't die.

I am sad about Theon. I loved his character and he gave his all to the end.

The fuck Sam is doing crying in between bodies? Lol I dunno how he survived.

FUCKING ARYA STARK IS BOSS.

I don't know. I liked a lot of things about this episode (cinematography, music, Theon's arc, among others), but... I have mixed feelings. Does this mean the whole Azor Ahai prophecy and all that foreshadowing basically meant nothing? Bran did nothing, Jon did nothing. Daenerys stalling for way too long and falling off her dragon was super dramatic... but also super dumb. I expected more characters to die, but boy is the plot armor thick. The ending was anti-climactic and lacked substance. It felt like all that build-up was for nothing. I mean, sure, I guess it's cool that Arya's a super dope badass assassin now or whatever, but to me it just felt like more fanservice.

What about the White Walkers and their underlying motivation? There has to be one. GoT used to be good at bucking fantasy tropes. But in the end, it's just another one of those Good VS Evil stories I suppose.

It makes for good TV. But I honestly think it could have been better.

WEW LAD, WHAT AN EPISODE

I understand and share some of the disappointment folks have mentioned, but even with that factored in this was an absolute powerhouse episode. They clearly cranked everything up to 11 for this one, and every damn thing from the cinematography to the pacing to the music were on point to set the mood perfectly. I noted the distinct tone shifts at a couple points in the episode, and the behind the scenes stuff confirmed that the episode was intentionally constructed with three acts: suspense, then horror, then action. They nailed all of them, imo, and the MVP of the episode was Ramin Djawadi for all that mood setting music.

Regarding the specifics of the episode, I have mixed feelings about the character death aspect, but not because not enough died. There's only so much time in an episode, and taking a minute to show a named character dying means taking time away from other important bits, so I get why they didn't just slaughter the cast. Also, there's only so much you can throw at the audience before they just become numb to the deaths, so I'm glad they were more sparing and made sure the deaths generally mattered, whether as a way to put a shiny button on a character's arc to finish it off or as a way to set the tone and show how real this shit is. Dolorous Edd getting shanked from behind, Lyanna Mormont going out like a badass, and even the massacre of the Dothraki and Unsullied all acted as tone setters and "oh shit" moments. The rest all finished off character arcs in a fitting way that felt very satisfying.

My problem with the character death of the episode was more about those who lived. Like I noted above, I get why they couldn't have tons more deaths, but... why in the fuck did they have ALL the named characters in the battle being the last ones standing in their respective areas? They might as well have a narrator come on and say "these folks have plot armor too thick for the wights to pierce" when they show a bunch of shots of the characters we know and love fighting desperately without a run of the mill soldier in sight. It would have made the plot armor thing so much less glaring if each of those groups of survivors had at least a handful of mooks standing shoulder to shoulder with them during their final stands.

Arya being the one to take down the Night King was both unexpected and perfectly fitting for the show. They have consistently tried to avoid the obvious tropes of the genre and storytelling in general (which has been a hit or miss effort to be sure), so having the two Chosen One type characters (Jon and Dany) get basically swatted away like flies and left for the low tier minions was a fantastic way of doing that. It also worked as a great culmination for Arya's character, putting her training and experience to a use that was very vital to the plot of the show. If she'd done all that training just to end up killing the Freys and maybe Cersei later on, then it would have felt rather lame. She's a supernatural assassin, after all, so it makes sense that she was the one to take out the supernatural badass enemy in a situation when assassination of a single target was the only chance of victory. I will, however, agree that it would have been nice if they did more to foreshadow her preternatural stealth abilities before this episode, like... literally anything more than sneaking up on a couple people chilling in the godswood.

And on the topic of supernatural stuff, Melisandre was laughably ineffectual until it came time to give Arya a pep talk. She was all hype, no impact in her two big actions, which is very fitting for a character that is equal parts legitimate magic user and charlatan. The flaming weapons for the Dothraki didn't seem to do much at all, and lighting the trenches only cost like a few dozen undead soldiers to deal with it. I'm sure some of the proper warriors racked up better kill counts than she did, though she does earn assist credit for the entire army of the dead getting taken out in one blow.

I'm hoping they use some of the next episode to answer some questions (Is Ayra actually Azor Ahai reborn somehow? Was there any deeper motivation to the Night King's stuff or was he legit just seeking to destroy humanity? The fuck was Bran doing during the battle? Is Cersei and the fight for the Iron Throne really the end game after all or are we in an extended epilogue?), but I'm rather satisfied with the episode as it stands.

Also
And a coworker mentioned that maybe he is fireproof like Danny? But he may not know about Danny's ability to walk through fire?
Probably not fireproof at all, actually. First book/season shows him burning the hell out of his hand when he grabs a lantern to chuck it at the wight that was trying to kill Lord Commander Mormont. To contrast that, Dany was able to grab braziers with hefty fires blazing in them in order to massacre the khals and take the Dothraki as her own. Jon's Stark blood is probably too used to the cold to be able to resist fire, whereas Dany is supposed to be almost pure Targaryen and is also special in some other uncertain way (otherwise Viserys wouldn't have died to molten gold, nor would some historical Targaryens have died to various kinds of fire that claimed their lives).