Game of Thrones Season 8 hype and discussion thread

Her parents are siblings and mental illness runs in her family. She also warned Jon that since he wont love her, she will rule with fear. I thought it was intense.

I was disappointed in Cersei and Jaime's deaths cause what the fuck? Lol crushed to death in each other's arms? I honestly thought Jamie would redeem his bitchass self by killing her but noooo.

Now Tyrion might die because he let Jamie go! ARGGGGHH

Also, the fight with the Mountain and Hound was meh.

And Arya running around screaming? Like what the fuck? All her training forgotten because a girl is screaming like a girl!

I was mightily disappointed in Cersei's end. She deserved better, though I guess I can't say too much about her being a blubbering, dreaming mess in the end. I will never forgive her being killed by some bricks. And don't get me started on Jamie >:[ What the heckies, man! They finish his redemption arc, then pretty much undo it in the end! I'm pissed! I am royally pissed!

I do think it is absolutely hilarious that AFTER the Lannister army + The Golden Company + The Iron Fleet have anti-dragon weapons, Dany and Drogon completely decimate their forces with little to no difficulty. If she could do that with one dragon, then why didn't she just march to Kings Landing when she had three and they didn't have any Scorpions? Kinda makes it laughable, to be honest. It's almost as if Rhaegal died for nothing :"D

It's really more of a question of the depiction carried forward in the show. It felt lazy. The only part that they put any effort into was Araya's desperate struggle to survive as King's Landing is falling down all around her. But the rest just felt like the writers made arbitrary decisions and then decided to execute them in the most lackluster way possible. They don't even play by their own rules. One moment Euron is the GOAT landing shots with a ballista like they were cruise missiles. The next he's standing their with that dopy expression on his face. None of them even come close to wheeling their scorpions around to fire. They played up the danger to Drogon and then dismissed it completely.

A hallmark of a good book or movie or series. Is playing within the rules of your own universe.

Where's your reviews @Jorick ? I'm sure you must have a lot of thoughts on the past couple of episodes.

Where's your reviews @Jorick ? I'm sure you must have a lot of thoughts on the past couple of episodes.
I do, but I've been kinda chilling and not saying much because my opinions diverge heavily from the general animus the audience seems to have toward the show the past couple weeks, and I've spent my last couple Sunday nights/Monday mornings arguing with family members about the show so I didn't have much desire left to rant here. But since you're curious, I'll go over some highlights of why I disagree with the whole "bad writing, show sucks now" bandwagon. 8D

First and foremost, for those who haven't been paying attention to anything said by George R.R. Martin, D.B. Weiss, or David Benioff (or have just been casually watching and not seeking out the thoughts of the creators), this has always been a story about humanity and the human condition. It also very explicitly aimed, from its very early conceptual phase before the first book was even written, to subvert the standard tropes and expectations of an epic fantasy tale of the destined hero defeating the great evil plaguing the world. A lot of what people seem to be angry about is stuff that falls very directly under one of those labels, not matters of poor writing or hand-waving bullshit for narrative convenience, which have indeed happened and gotten more pronounced in these last two seasons as the pace was cranked up a few notches.

On the subject of the pacing, just because things are rushed compared to prior seasons doesn't mean they are bad, or poorly planned, or poorly written. The showrunners made a choice to amp up the pace, and frankly I think they were correct to do so. Game of Thrones has had such a slow, ass-dragging pace due to the vast cast and many locations to cover that it simply had to speed up once the focus was boiled down to just a few important places. They haven't always made the best choices for what to cut away from in order to keep things moving (Jon's true parents being revealed to Sansa and Arya is the most obvious example), but shit happens and the long conversational scenes that fleshed out characters earlier in the show are no longer needed. We should all be familiar with these characters by now. There was no need to draw everything out with more episodes to show incremental changes in well-established characters, because anyone who has been paying attention shouldn't need their hand held with repeated reminders of who these people are at their core.

The most glaring example of people complaining about the pacing lately is Daenerys and the supposed need for more time and character development to reach this Mad Queen stage in a believable way. This is nonsense. We've seen who she is and what she's about so many times that being surprised by this is a failure of the audience, not the show. At every turn since she acquired some modicum of power, Daenerys has preferred violence and force over diplomacy. You can see this in play most starkly at a low point in her journey: outside the gates of Qarth, she refused to let the merchants even see a dragon to gain entry, and then when they turned her away she threatened to kill them all. She was pushed to the edge of desperation, and her response was entitlement and violence. We saw the same again when people defied her rule of Mereen: she saw herself as the deserving ruler of the city (and Slaver's Bay as a whole), and those who opposed her were made to suffer. Same thing with the Dothraki leaders: they refused to see her as the destined hero, so she slaughtered them. Now she gets to Westeros, gets a crash course in xenophobia, loses her oldest and closest friends, loses another of her dragons, feels betrayed by everyone she thought was a true or possible ally in Westeros, and people are somehow surprised or think it was too sudden a turn for her to choose violence? Nonsense. This is the subversion of expectations and focus on the human condition coming into play, the culmination of some of the core themes and plot threads that have been built up in expectation of this very moment from early on in the story. I personally was shocked by the extent of what Daenerys did, but the fact that she went crazy and started torching innocents? Not a surprise at all. I thought she was just going to reduce the Red Keep to burning rubble, to hell with all the innocents inside and sheltering in the courtyard, but she also went for poor bastards just running through the streets.

The ends of character/plot arcs we've seen in this season were also very fitting given the themes of the show as a whole. All the characters who died in the fight against the army of the dead were people whose entire purpose was to fight off this threat (Edd and Beric and Melisandre) or who died at the climactic point of their own character arcs (Theon and Jorah), so all of those were pretty standard fare. The Night King not actually being the end boss that everyone thought he was is perfectly fitting for a story about the human condition and subverted expectations for epic fantasy. Not only did the great evil force get killed by someone who wasn't a chosen hero, oops it turns out the last evil to confront is the person who was the most obvious candidate to be the chosen hero. Not only that, it's all driven by very understandable and human motivations, not some mysterious supernatural force. Varys went out standing for the same principles he's been standing for the entire show, defending the people of Westeros at large, and his death being used as the final warning flag for the incoming Mad Queen was fitting. Then there's Cleganebowl: the Hound finally got the vengeance he's been after his entire goddamn life, but he only attained it after also displaying how far he has come from being Joffrey's rabid dog by way of his fatherly treatment of Arya. Jaime's ending was a surprising twist on what looked like a heroic redemption arc: instead of him slaying the great evil to redeem himself, or killing Cersei to rid himself of the direct cause of his evil past, he instead ended up in a mix of being a good man in comforting Cersei at the end and showing what kind of shit can come from a toxic and abusive relationship. His was a very bittersweet ending, but it wasn't a bad or poorly written one. Cersei's ending was similarly unexpected but very fitting: for all her effort to be more than the average people, all her work to stay in power, she was just another terrified victim of the absolute carnage that destroyed the commoners and powerful people alike. In the end she was just as human as the rest of us, and her humanity was laid bare in a way that even the walk of shame did not accomplish, and she died just like thousands of the nameless people she looked down upon from her lofty perch in the Red Keep.

Although the complaints about "bad writing" tend to be a bunch of annoyance regarding the pacing or people not understanding the characters and then declaring their very reasonable actions to be out of character (like apparently some people for some reason think Varys was acting out of character despite him proving to the very end that he had always been honest and up front about his core motivations of protecting the realm as a whole), there are things worth critiquing as shit writing. Euron is the avatar of narrative convenience in Game of Thrones, and most of the things he has done this season were matters of poor writing in very particular ways, not just his character as a whole being poorly written. Rhaegal getting killed? The fact the Euron did it isn't bad writing. It's the fact that there was no scouting going on for the fleet, and Dany not seeing them from her aerial vantage point, that was bad. If he'd somehow gotten the drop on them in a situation that made actual sense (say some dudes went in and set up some of those scorpions on Dragonstone while Dany and her crew were busy up north), then Euron killing a dragon would've been totally fine. Euron and his fleet being totally ineffectual against Drogon? That actually made plenty of sense in and of itself, but it was made bad only because it followed a smaller fleet being able to totally destroy Rhaegal and then Daenerys being an idiot and showing she apparently had no idea how to deal with the scorpions despite the proper tactics being bloody obvious. If that ambush thing had been done in a more sensible fashion, then both encounters with dragons could have made sense playing out the way that they did. Oh, and Euron being the only dude to apparently make it to shore in the area that just so happened to be near the back entrance Jaime was using was also a poorly written issue of narrative convenience, but him choosing to fight Jaime and the outcome of that fight made plenty of sense given his clear obsession with glory and status. Also noteworthy, Euron's death was the major outlier of an end of a character's story that actually didn't feel like it made sense for this story.

TL;DR most of the stuff I see people complaining about has me scratching my head and wondering what the hell they've been watching all these years if they think this stuff is poorly written and/or makes no sense. Even a lot of the things that truly are poorly written aren't egregiously terrible or betrayals of the heart and soul of the story being told, they're mainly hand-waves to keep the plot moving at a fast clip to keep the tension up, so I don't see much reason to hate on the show now if they've loved it up until this point. It's always been about the highs and lows of humanity and twisting the hell out of expectations, and that is exactly what we've been getting and presumably will continue to get in the finale.

Last edited:
Daenerys has always had a black and white sense of justice, which only depends on what she considers wrong. I think the show failed to get us to empathize with her mounting losses, but if she was willing to crucify slavers, I don't see why she wouldn't decide to burn the people of King's Landing.

Yeah, Dany's mad queen arc seemed fine to me. There she was, having attained victory in a city full of people that could never love her, only fear her. So fuck it, have at it.

Also, Euron's ending for me veered into the so-bad-it's-good category. The dude has been constantly portrayed as this guy who does the audacious and says the ridiculous. So for him to, I don't know, swim however-the-fuck-long towards the shoreline after being blown up, see Jaime Lannister and then decide -- for, ostensibly, shits and giggles - to 1v1 him is just classic.

Last edited:
...Arya basically became the most useless character in the show. What the fuck?

I am disappoint.

...Arya basically became the most useless character in the show. What the fuck?

I am disappoint.
Really? I thought her ending made sense. Her revenge was finished, and I don't think Westeros could be home for her anymore.

I actually loved this final episode. I was so skeptical, but I gotta say...I really like how they ended things. But I understand that it's my opinions xD

Everything about the finale was so expected. I wanted to either be angry or sad or excited or all of the above for any character's arc, but it just sort of happened. They sort of built up Arya's involvement in the last episode, but then never really brought that to fruition. I would have loved for her to really have an impactful interaction with any of the characters involved. Jon was whatever. I don't think Kit Harrington was a bad actor, but there wasn't the drama of having killed the person you loved, the person you fought for and pledged your life for. Freaking Peter Dinklage was great. For something that had been building for so long, I expected a pop of an overfilled balloon and not a whomp whomp deflation.

OH LOVELY THE LEAKS WERE TOTALLY CORRECT THEN. WHAT A DELIGHTFULLY COOKIE CUTTER ENDING.

Chaos is a ladder and history is a loop, I guess?

This season could have benefitted with a few extra episodes.

At least Ghost finally got the attention he deserves.

I feel satisfied with the ending. Parts of it was expected, and some theories I've read came true.
- I love Tyrion, he will forever be my favorite character.
- Sad to see Dany go, but it was expected that someone would kill her if she became the mad queen. Drogon burning the throne was top notch, 10/10.
- Ghost getting his good boi pet was 10/10.
- TORMUND 10/10. (still sad he didn't get his big woman, but happy to see him still alive and a free folk).
- The beginning of the series and the ending of the series had the same scenes; A+.
- Bran on the throne felt kinda meh, but I guess since he's the Three Eyed Raven (and many other reasons) he was the best choice.
- Arya taking off to the west felt expected but... All of this ridiculous plot armor she had only for that ending? Mreeeeeeh :I
- Jon going back to the Night's Watch was surprising. Didn't really think there would be a nights watch anymore? Regardless, I'm happy.

Despite all the negativity that the writers have gotten from this season, I really did enjoy it. It had it's ups and downs of course. I'm happy to see it end though.

Jon:

I'm satisfied with the conclusions we got. It wasn't what I expected, but that's part of what I've enjoyed about the show since very early on.

Daenerys obviously had to die, and she died in the most appropriate way: just like her father, right by the Iron Throne, slain by someone she trusted.

Jon living and being soft exiled to the far north was very fitting. He was done with all the kings and queens bullshit, so now he'll live among the wildlings and be much happier for it.

Sansa as Queen in the North, independent from the now Six Kingdoms, was not what I expected but definitely makes a lot of sense.

Bran becoming king was not something I'd even considered, but I like it. Presumably the gathered lords were aware of his supernatural powers before they made the decision, because nobody acted surprised by Tyrion's speech listing his qualifications, and the Three-Eyed Raven powers make for a pretty solid king.

Arya fucking off to the west was very expected, but also exactly right for her character. She never wanted anything to do with politics, she just wanted to have adventures. Now she's off on the greatest adventure of her life.

Tyrion being made Hand as punishment was amusing and suitable for him. I actually expected that to be sort of what went down with the choosing of a king, with Jon being pressed into it since he had the best bloodline claim to the throne. I'm glad that the story didn't go that way, because another Targaryen on the throne would have been more like a regression for Westeros rather than a step forward.

Brienne being the Lady Commander of the Kingsguard was a bit of a surprise. I would have expected her and Podrick to remain in the North with Sansa. She's the best one for the job though, so it's all good. Oh, and her scene of finishing off Jaime's entry in the White Book was lovely. The scene in the book where Jaime adds a line to his own page is much more interesting than it was in the show, thanks to all the internal thought stuff being presented, and seeing Brienne fill two pages with his deeds and end it off with a line that basically redeemed his honor (lost the honor for killing his king, thus redeemed by dying to protect his queen and fulfilling his vows) made for a great ending note for his arc. Also, Ser Podrick of the Kingsguard, fuck yeah.

Bronn being Master of Coin was a surprise, as was his confirmation of being Lord of Highgarden, but after a bit of thought it makes sense. It's quite similar to the story of a prior Master of Coin: Littlefinger. They were both nobodies who did a lot of shady shit to rise high and earn all sorts of titles and powers. Davos becoming the Master of Ships and Sam becoming the Archmaester were both more expected, but both were good choices so it's fine.

The Unsullied and Dothraki both fucking off from Westeros was the only thing that made sense for them. They were only in Westeros for Daenerys, but she's dead so they have no reason to stick around.

Most everyone else who matters got a brief showing of what they're up to for the foreseeable future. All the lords present at the council to choose the king will keep on lording it up. The only moderately important characters I can think of who got nothing in the way of some kind of closure or final send off are Meera Reed (and I'm sad her father never popped up in the show outside of Bran's history viewing), Daario Naharis off in Mereen, and Arya's dire wolf Nymeria, though they all got some kind of "lol bye" scene earlier in the show anyway. That's not too shabby for a show that had so fucking many characters.

Overall I'm satisfied with these endings. I haven't hated the writing for the show lately, so I supposed it's to be expected that I also didn't hate this episode. I am still hoping the books get finished before GRRM kicks the bucket, because I want to see his version of how shit goes down with all the internal thoughts laid out clearly rather than merely implied, but I still love the show for what it is and this finale did nothing to harm my opinion.

Reactions: Rae
I'm still iffy since episode 5

That being said, Jon heading to the wall and beyond with the wildlings was lovely. After all, that was where he truly discovered himself I feel, and where for whatever little time he had, he was at peace with Ygritte. Ghost return was great ;-;

Arya and Sansa's endings made sense. Bran on the throne was something I expected but was hoping my expectations would be subverted because it seemed obvious.

I'm glad Tyrion didn't die.

Greyworm can jump overboard for all I care. >:D

I was disappointed with Yara to be honest. :<

WELP time to find something else to watch now.

robin arryn lookin like a snacc

i'd walk up to him like "boi, u so fine i'd let your mother breastfeed me"

I stand by these comments.

why...did you make me read this with my own two eyes

why...did you make me read this with my own two eyes

The late, legendary rapper the Notorious B.I.G. once had a line that involved him complimenting a girl's beauty by saying he'd be willing to -- in a far more rhythmic fashion -- bestow fellatio unto her father.