Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
He flew around the city with her, taking as long as he could without going slow or going around in circles. He didn't want to stop. But eventually he did, pulling up outside her apartment. He pulled off his helmet and resisted the temptation to make sure his hair was flat. He stood up and held out a hand to help her off the bike. "Would it be totally inappropriate now to ask for a goodnight kiss? Or would I be smothered by your roommates?"

Kurureenu looked up at the windows and saw the blinds move a bit. She smirked once again and put her hands behind her back. "We can test the theory and see what happens when it happens," she suggested. "Or you can chicken out until another time, but that's up to you."

I think I just promised a second date. she thought, thinking back on her words but not reacting. She was having too much fun, still, and the adrenaline was still pumping pretty well.

"You know, I think I'll chance it. I've got the bike to make my daring escape." He grinned. "And if it doesn't end well, I'd love another opportunity to try." He bent down and pressed his lips to hers gently, allowing one hand to curl around her waist. And he didn't care that a lot of people would frown upon this. He liked her, and that was all that mattered.

The girl returned the kiss that she was being given, not knowing if she was still feeling the adrenaline or if her nerves have started to take over. Though she was the first to pull away, upon hearing the door open and the light spilling down the steps and toward them.

"Ku? Oh, Ku! Where are you?" one of her roommates joked while the other kept a firm stare on the both of them.

Kurureenu glared and turned her attention back toward Seth, completely ignoring the two of them. "I would love to have another day out with you, Seth," she told him, smiling.

He grinned as her roommates appeared. "I would love to see you again too. I'll call you, and we can arrange something. And I'll try to stop dinner from being ruined next time, I promise." He gave her one soft kiss again, before climbing back onto his bike and waving at her roommates.

The ride home wasn't the same, but he was still wearing a foolish grin when he got home and changed into his pyjamas. He was still grinning when he fell asleep, thinking about her.

The girl smiled and watched him disappear after another kiss and a promise of a second date. A second date that won't get ruined, which was a plus! She turned toward the front door and glared down her roommates. "Inside! Now!" she ordered, running up the steps with a series of kicking motions to heard them back in. After much complaints from her, and her roommates, she was in her room getting ready to enjoy the last remnants of her day.

~*~

"Uniform, check. Box cutter, check. Phone, check..." she murmured, walking out of the house the next day and down the road. While the night before was positively magical, she still ended up having to leave the magic at home and head back to work. She wondered how Seth's day was going to turn out. He's going to have to go back today, huh...?

His phone started to ring as he crossed the apartment, wrapped in a towel. "Hello?"

"Seth, mate, you've got to come in. Dress uniform." He frowned. "What for?" He heard a sigh. "New leader's been appointed. He wants to address the troops. And I've heard that he wanted everybody pristine. Be there by eleven, sharp." He hung up and went into his bedroom, pulling on his dress uniform. His hair was damp, but it'd be dry by the time he made it in.

He straightened himself up as he walked into the station. He was a bit crumpled from the ride in, but was able to fix himself as he walked. Everyone else was going the same way, and he lost himself in the crowd as he walked.

Apologies- I didn't give you a whole lot to work with in that last post.

He reached the hall and took his seat. He recognised the man standing at the podium, and his stomach dropped. He was infamous for wanting mutants gone. Completely gone. Not him. Anyone but him. But he stepped up to the podium and started to speak.

He spoke about what he intended to do. Mutants could not be trusted, he said, and must be eradicated. If they allowed the mutants to gain any sort of control, then the human race would die out. In order for them to survive, they must eliminate the threat. And from here on out, all mutants would be targeted, regardless of their history. All interaction between humans and mutants was to be stopped, to ensure the safety of the human race. And at that point, Seth was sure that he was looking at him.

Eventually, they were allowed to leave. Seth fished out his phone and walked to a quiet spot, dialing out Ku's number. "Ku, you're in trouble. They're going to start killing mutants. No more research. Just murder. Get out of the city if you can. Smaller towns are a lot more tolerant to mutants. I'll talk to you soon, I have to go."

He headed back to the main station to learn if he was still to take the day off, or if he was required for work. But he was greeted by their new leader. "Mr Williams. You're not going to cause any problems, are you?" He bit his tongue, shaking his head. "Not at all, sir." The older man stared at him, and Seth returned the stare.

Kurureenu didn't feel her phone go off in her pocket as she started her own work. She had always been good about ignoring her devices as she did her work, and this was one of those times. She greeted her coworker as she came in at ten and clocked in and the two of them had been busy preparing for the day's opening and for the evening rush for the next shift. The phone for the pizzeria rang and the girl went up to it to answer it while her coworker continued getting the pizza dough ready.

"Thank you for calling your local Little Caesars! This is Reeny, how can I help you?" she started, readying a sheet as she continued on the phone. When she got off and looked over, she noticed her coworker staring at his own phone and stopping his work progress. "What the hell are you doing, Ted?"

"Watching the new leader for the OMEN speak. They just filmed it earlier today," he replied, perking Kurureenu's interest and getting the girl to come and join him in watching the event. By the end of the video, Kurureenu had paled and backed away from the device. She took out her own, finding the message left behind from Seth.

"I gotta go," she said, whipping off the apron and going to the computer to clock out. "And I think you should, too." She stripped off the work shirt she had on, glad she wore a tank top underneath that day and left it on the counter with her hat. She ignored the complains from her coworker as she clocked out and left, starting back home at a full sprint. I should have rode my bike today.

They were all given their new weapons and uniforms. They could no longer wear what they wanted while in the field. It was regulation uniform, or you handed in your badge. The bomber jacket was replaced by a bulletproof vest. They had to wear a white t-shirt with the OMEN logo on either sleeve. Practical black trousers and combat boots took the place of the jeans and Converse that Seth usually preferred. If the weather was cold, they wore a black aviator's jacket. All of these were given to the agents in their respective sizes. Gone were the tranquiliser guns, replaced with proper handguns. The combat boots also ad a compartment for standard issue knives.

"Seth, you're to take the rest of today off." Seth nodded, heading out to the bike. e shoved on his helmet and kicked off, heading straight for Ku's house. If she was still here, she needed to know.

The girl burst through the front door noisily, loosing her balance in the process and knocking the coat rack by the door to the floor with loud clatter. She quickly kicked it out of her way and looked around the house, hearing one of her roommates that were home start shouting at her.

"I sleep during the day, and then there's you coming in like a bat outta hell-" the other woman was saying before Kurureenu interrupted her.

"Call the others. OMEN has a new leader and he's going to exterminate all the mutants," Kurureenu ordered, going into her room and getting out her duffle. "We need to head toward less populated areas. They're more lenient. I'll call Tim and get him out of his shift, you call everyone else." She was already dialing, going from her closet to her dresser, only packing the necessities. I need to call Seth back and thank him.

He headed for home, where he changed quickly into a loose fitting black shirt and black skinny jeans. He didn't waste any time going back down to the bike and kicking off again, heading for Ku's house. However, he saw some commotion on her street and pulled in, leaving his bike around the corner and making his way up the street as covertly as he could. He was crouched behind some bushes when he noticed the OMEN uniform. He pulled out his phone.

"Ku, they're outside your house. Listen to me. I'm armed, and I can buy you time to get out if you need it. So tell me honestly, and don't try and protect me. Will you be able to get out without me ? Or would you like me to distract them?"

Kurureenu had just finished with her call to get Tim out of work and heading toward a meeting place for all of them while her other roommate already had the others informed and mobile. She was zipping up her duffle when her phone started to go off and she answered it after seeing it was Seth. "They're around the house?" she repeated, her roommate joining her. "We'll probably be needing a distraction, Seth. I can sneak us out, but I can't do it with the place surrounded."

She held her hand out toward her roommate, who took it without hesitation. "If you do provide us a distraction, Seth, just promise me that you'll be safe. I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

"I'll be fine. You'll probably hear it, so run as soon as you do, okay? If I can, I'll call you later from a payphone, make sure you're safe and everything." He hung up and straightened up. He headed straight for them, pulling out his gun and firing a few times. He made sure that they all went into the air, knowing that he'd be in much deeper shit if he hurt any of them. But it worked. They all turned their attention towards him and started yelling at him. He yelled back, and before long, was in a fist fight with them. He lasted surprisingly well, before they managed to grab and hold him as one of them started sinking punch after punch into him. He grinned after one. "You fight like a girl." It was an officer he had never really liked in the first place. Luckily, he only had one or two friends on the actual force. But a punch to the face knocked him clean out.

"We'll take him back to the boss, let him decide what happens to him!"

Kurureenu agreed to it, still feeling worried about his well-being, but she had to get the two of them out. She concentrated on bending the light around them, slowly altering their image until there was no one standing there at all. She took the lead, dragging her roommate out behind her and out to the street, seeing the men descend upon Seth. She bit her lip, but she had to keep going, while they couldn't see them at all still. She and her roommate ran hand in hand down the street and turned a corner, Kurureenu letting go of the light that was bent around them once she felt it was safe to. There was a few moments spent on catching their breaths at a walk, working on getting to their meeting place.

"I'm sure he'll be okay, Kuku," her roommate assured. Kurureenu sent her a half-assed glare and kept walking.

"Of course he will be. He has skill and moxy. I'm sure he can get out of any situation," she replied, mostly telling herself that than her roommate. Seth... Just be okay and call me.

When he started to come around, one of the first things that he noticed was that he was tied to a chair. His hands were bound behind his back, something that snapped him to complete awareness. He started trying to break the zip-tie, before realising that it wasn't a ziptie binding his wrists. It was handcuffs. And he remembered with a shock everything that had happened. At that point somebody came in, letting light into the previously dark room. He flinched, and he heard a chuckle.

"So, Seth, you think you can try and defend the mutants?" He was willing to bet that there was tape or something over his mouth, so he didn't even try and speak. Miller, his new boss, bent down in front of him, grinning. "Are you a mutant?" Seth didn't try and respond, simply stared at him. "Well, I'll tell you what. You're going to keep working for OMEN, whether you're a mutant or not. And you're going to comply with everything we tell you. And if you try and leave, we'll kill you. And unless you listen to our orders... Well, I think a demonstration of power might be necessary." Someone untied the rope around his waist and pulled him roughly to his feet. He then noticed that his feet were also bound together, as were his hands. He was tall enough to look down on Miller. "Show him what will happen if he resists."

If he thought the previous beating had been bad, this was so much worse. He was right about the tape over his mouth, as he learned every time he tried to cry out. He passed out a few times, but ended up coming around again. He was awake when the rope around his feet was cut, the tape was torn from his face and the handcuffs were removed. He was led out, through the offices. People stared. He was an example as well. An example of what happened to resistance. He was almost thrown out of the building, and he staggered to the nearest payphone. He hadn't forgotten his promise.

He dialed out her number, and waited for her to pick up. "Hey, it's me." He leaned against the booth, closing his eyes for a moment.

Kurureenu and her roommate made it to the meeting spot without another hitch. After a few moments of waiting, Tim's car pulled up, with everyone else already in it. Kurureenu hesitated, though, stepping away from the car. "You guys go. I'll stay back," she told them.

"Kurureenu! You can't do that! If you stay in the city, they'll find you and kill you," Tim told her, his face set in an angry sneer. "Get in the damn car!"

The girl glared toward Tim and crossed her arms. "I'm staying here. I have to make sure Seth is okay, for one, and you all know my... my thing with cars," she told him. "I'm not getting in!"

The man sighed angrily, one of her other roommates intervening. "Ku, we can blindfold you, if you want. He can call you, right? It'll be okay," he told her, receiving Kurureenu's glare as well.

"Y'know what... I'll get in," she started, receiving a loud 'Finally!' from Tim. "If you guys can find me." Then she turned and walked away, bending the light around her to hide her image from the world.

And that was the last time that she spoke to her roommates. None of them called her to get her to come back and she heard Tim speed off after her last words, clearly in a fit of road rage. She eventually released the light she bent around her, but stayed off the streets and stuck to the darker alleys and hanging out in random areas, like under one of the bridges. It was hours and hours, until evening had long fallen, before she finally heard her phone start ringing.

"Seth! What did they do to you?" she asked quickly. "Did they hurt you at all? Are you okay? I haven't heard from you for hours..."

He ran a hand through his hair, looking down at his clothes. Fine was pushing it. His shirt was wet in places with blood, and pain echoed through his body. "I'm..." He sighed again. He was scared, that's what he was. Goddammit, things had finally started to go right, and now one person was going to mess it all up. Had already messed it all up.

"I'm scared, Ku. I just... things are worse than I thought. A lot worse. And I can't leave, and if I try, I'll be dead, and..." He sighed. "It's nothing. Are you safe?"

Kurureenu frowned, letting his words sink in. She looked down, rubbing her shoe against the cement underneath it. "Safe as I can be..." she told him. "I was worried about you, Seth. You put your life on the line for us and look at where it's getting you. I wish I could help you right now, but I don't know what to do..."

After all, I'm a mutant. she thought, wanting to say the words but avoiding them. If she wasn't a mutant... Or if she just wasn't at the pub that night, he would be safe and well. Sure, things would probably have gone south for herself and her roommates, but they were mutants and she was sure they would find a way to keep themselves safe.

A horn blared from the topside of the bridge, making the girl jump back into the here and now. "How injured are you? Do you need any help?"

He sighed. "I don't know how badly I'm injured. Everything hurts and there's some blood and I... I don't know, Ku. Don't come if you're going to be putting yourself in danger. Don't come to the payphone, I'll meet you at the bar. I'll wait ten minutes. If you're not there after that, I'll take it that you can't come." He hung up and started making his way back to the bike. It took him longer than he expected, but he got to the bike and drove to the bar. He knew he was covered in blood and looked like shit, so he leaned on the bike, trying to assess his injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.