Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
He found himself sneaking glances at her out of the corner of his eye. He honestly didn't know if it was awkward because they had just met, or because they were on two completely different sides. He took a swig from his beer, trying to keep his eyes on the screen. But even when he was looking straight forward, he was always aware of her in his peripheral vision. "So... how long have you known? That you're a mutant, I mean."

The girl smiled, glad that someone was going to break the silence and that it wasn't her. She had caught a few glances toward him, too. She hoped that he didn't notice at all or anything. So far, it seemed that he didn't though. When he asked, she automatically replied with, "About ten years." She leaned her head back and looked up at the ceiling, remembering what happened vividly. "When my dad died."

She was in that car with him. Right next to him. Her hands tightened into fists and she brought her line of sight back toward the TV to retain focus. She still wished that she was able to help him... She was only nine, though.

He nodded. "Oh. I'm sorry to hear that." He said, watching the movie for a few seconds. "I was raised in a family that were very pro-mutant. Before OMEN was formed, when people were just going around attacking mutants and mutants were attacking them in self defense, my mom disappeared after she spoke out against the treatment of mutants." He took a mouthful of his beer. "Never found her body. I joined OMEN because..." He sighed, putting one foot against his coffee table. "I was attacked by a bunch of them as a kid. I was young when I first joined, wanting vengeance. But then I learned that they couldn't always control their actions, and... I wanted to help them. I couldn't imagine what it's like to feel like that. But OMEN's going down the wrong route." He sighed. He grabbed a handful of popcorn and started popping bits into his mouth.

She agreed with a short nod. "It's because of the actions that were being done through OMEN that my roommates and I started to do our own thing to try to save as many fellow mutants as we can. You can almost call us an Anti-OMEN organization. Not official or anything, but we've been trying." She went back to before their date was interrupted, saying that she worked various jobs. There were other reasons behind all those placements for her than just always changing.

"Crap. I should text my roommates or something. Let them know that I'm okay," she remembered, pulling out her phone and seeing the texts that were already sent to her. "Or... Just finally reply."

Seth nodded. "The only reason I'm still in it is because I'm hoping that things might change. We're due a leadership change any day now, and I'm hoping that new leaders will make sure that mutants are treated more fairly. That and I'd more than likely be killed if I tried to leave. I'd be suspected as a mutant, and I'd be killed. Most people aren't even told that said person wanted to leave. It was just that they were killed while on the job. We get a hero's memorial, because people would start asking questions otherwise. OMEN don't want people thinking we have mutants in the organisation. I don't know if we have or not, but hey. That's probably for the best." He looked over at her.

"Did they hear about the attack or are they just worried when you're not home?"

"They knew who I was going on a date with, so they wanted me to make sure I kept up with them," she told him, skimming through the texts. "And a couple of them are pissed to the point of using my full name because I haven't answered yet. Apparently I'm becoming quite the star outside of these walls." The girl scoffed, tossing her phone to the side after sending a text letting them know she was okay.

"Tossing all phones aside... I think I heard about the change in ownership with OMEN. A lot of mutants are hoping it's going to be for the better. All we want is to be left alone to live out our lives and treated equally."

Seth shrugged. "I haven't heard who's taking over yet, so I can't even tell you what I've heard about them. There is a handful of decent men and women in OMEN, so we've just got to hope that it's one of them that gets the job. I'm doubting it though. Current leadership isn't exactly pleasant, and I doubt they'll pick one of the decent ones."

He grinned at her. "This is very heavy conversation for a date. So come on. Ask me some random things. Anything."

The girl laughed and rolled her eyes. "Fine, fine. But I do enjoy heavy conversations about mutant-human politics. On another note... How old are you?"

She wanted to spill out more questions, but it would be a bit much in just one sitting. It was best to just start out small and simple. She didn't mind the earlier conversation, but he was correct about it. She tended to get so into talking about politics, not just about mutants, that she would forget to talk about lighter subjects, too. She was called opinionated before because of where she always stood and how she tended to be not budging in her position.

He laughed a little, taking another swig from his beer. "I'm twenty. Meaning strictly speaking, I'm too young to be drinking this, but an OMEN ID opens all doors. I go into a bar and show this, and I can get whatever the hell I like. I learned that when I got asked for ID in a club or something. They saw it and were suddenly all 'you can have any drink you like, sir, we won't have any objections to a trustworthy man of the law like yourself drinking!'" He shrugged. "I probably shouldn't be using it like that, but nobody actually gives a shit. There are people doing worse things with their power than drinking." He looked at her, grinning. "Always back to politics. Anyway, what about you?"

She chuckled slightly. "Quite the power you have there, Seth. At least you use yours responsibly, though... Sort of." She smirked and nodded. "There are people who abuse their power no matter what they have at the tip of their fingers. In reply to your question, though, I'm nineteen. They let me sit at the bar at the pub, though, because the know me and know I come alone a lot. Actually... I think they feel bad about me being alone to begin with. I probably look homeless from time to time." She let out a laugh, ending the rant there. "What's your full name?"

He laughed a little. "My full name is Seth James Williams. A lot of people think Seth is short for something, but nope. Just Seth. If you include my rank, I'm Officer Seth Williams. But when you tag on the officer, I sound so official. I've been introduced as that before, and people look at me so differently to when I just say, 'Hi, I'm Seth Williams.

The girl laughed, smiling widely. "I like that name. Though I don't know of any name with 'Seth' as a shorter version of it, so I guess I was the only person that didn't expect anymore. I just wanted to know your name. Mine's Kurureenu Renita Yurasu. Every time I meet someone, though, they butcher my name to all hell. So I turn into Ku or Reenu and, only to certain individuals I'll tolerate, Reeny." She leaned forward for more popcorn and adjusted herself on the couch to where she was fully facing him. "Okay, next random question.... Hm... Do you have a car?"

He grinned, shaking his head and turning to face her slightly. "Nope. Motorbike. If it's close enough, I walk. If not, motorbikes are better for getting around. A lot more maneuverable if there's traffic. And going fast is four times as fun." He looked at her, raising an eyebrow. "Have you ever been on a motorbike at night?" He asked, grinning. "There's nothing like it."

The girl tilted her head, still smiling. "I have not ever been on a motorbike before to begin with, let alone at night." She pushed her hair back, enjoying the conversation. While she enjoyed politics, she also enjoyed just being able to speak to someone and learn new things and get new experiences. After all, she was only human. Just a little bit more special. There was no way that people can go completely without contact their entire life, and same went with her. She tried to limit contact, but the loneliness of it was almost killing her.

She smirked, almost a little devilishly. "Are you offering me a night ride, Seth?"

He grinned, reaching for the remote and pausing the movie. "Absolutely. Come on." He grabbed his keys and stood up, going into his bedroom. He pulled on a leather jacket and swapped his shoes for motorcycle boots, coming back out into the sitting room. "Let's go!" He headed downstairs and into the garage where it waited. He produced two helmets from under the seat and handed one to her. "Safety first." He grinned, pulling his own on and snapping the visor down. He sat down and started it up. "You're going to need to hold on pretty tight." He warned her, grinning back at her.

A surge of excitement went through her at the offer, her smile growing. "Okay," she replied, standing up and allowing him to get ready. Once he had donned his leather jacket and boots, she followed him down to the garage. Her eyes examined the machine while he brought out the two helmets, handing one to her. As she was snapping hers on, she listened to him saying that she would have to hold on tight and chuckled, the devilish smirk making a reappearance.

"Tight, huh?" she replied, positioning herself behind him on the motorbike and wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. "Is this tight enough?"

He grinned, despite knowing she couldn't see him. "As tight as you like." He called, before kicking off and flying out of the garage. He didn't exactly hold back on the throttle, constantly straddling the speed limit or being over it. Being on the bike meant that he could feel the speed, feel the power of the bike beneath him, and feel the wind tearing at any exposed skin. His heart was pounding with the adrenaline and he loved it. He hardly slowed down as he turned a corner and headed downtown. The lights flew past them, blending into each other. He grinned beneath his visor. He kept up the speed, knowing that the experience wasn't the same when unless you were at speed. This was when the city was beautiful- at night, and fast.

He drove his favourite route, loving the lights as they melted into a blur. He was almost sad to pull back into the garage and pull off his helmet, turning around to grin at Ku. "Nothing like it. There's beauty in this world, if you know where to find it."

Kurureenu let out a squeak as he started off, the sudden throttle actually catching her off guard. She held on tighter, not wanting to fall off and end up missing the sights. The lights blurred by, creating a meteor shower along the streets of downtown. She glanced up at the sky to still be able to see the stars up there, having almost wondered if they came down to join them on their night ride. Everything seemed to tingle with excitement as the motorcycle took them along his route.

It was almost done too fast when they pulled back into the garage and the bike came to a stop. She smiled, taking off the helmet and shaking out her hair. "Very aware of that," she replied. "Even things close to home can suddenly become beautiful to yourself or someone else." She sighed, her smile never fading from her face. "That was awesome."

He shook out his own hair, grinning. "Like I said, nothing like it. It's even better when you're on the way to something big, and you really have to floor it. It's dangerous- but being perfectly honest, that's why I love it." He grinned at her, able to feel the adrenaline in his own veins. "But driving around the city with a pretty girl's arms around your waist... That's almost as good." He told her. He looked at her. He knew that his own eyes were as bright, if not brighter, and he couldn't wipe the smile off his own face. "Miss Yurasu- and I would like to apologise if I messed that up- would it be totally inappropriate for me to take your hand as we return to my apartment?"

The girl's face reddened slightly from the compliment and chuckled. "You did mess it up. It's Mademoiselle Yurasu," she joked, grinning. "But I'll forgive you this time. In the mean time, yes, you may take my hand. Just don't complain if I start singing The Beatles in the process." Instead of waiting for him to grab her hand, she reached for his. With her adrenaline just starting to calm down from the motorcycle ride, this just made it start pumping again from being so forward with her actions.

"What music do you like?" she asked, smiling as butterflies fluttered around in her stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.