Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was halfway through texting her when he got a text from her. He read it, then looked around. He hit call and lifted the phone to his ear. "Ku, it's me. I am so sorry for what happened back there. I'm outside the restaurant, where are you?" He felt awful. He didn't want her to be hurt. She hadn't hurt him, and as far as he knew, she hadn't hurt anybody. And he didn't want to hurt her. He realised that he didn't care, because she proved everything he believed about them.

The girl felt her phone begin to ring and looked at the name, seeing Seth's. She wondered if she should answer it or not. He's probably going to yell at me or something... she thought, biting her lip. If she was going to get any heat, it was best to just take it all now instead of avoiding it until it got worse. With that way of thinking, that was why she was surprised to hear his words.

"I'm a couple blocks away," she replied, quickly looking up and pushing away from the building. "I can see the front of the restaurant. Is that you?"

He spun around and saw her, grinning. "I see you. It's me." He hung up and walked up to her, running a hand through his hair. "Ku, I cannot apologise enough. We're only supposed to be targeting mutants that hurt others, and evidently they'd gotten some false information." He scowled for a moment. "Not that they care." He looked at her. "So... do you wanna go do something else or...? I'll completely get it if you don't particularly want to see my face again."

The closer he walked toward her, the better she could see the injuries that were given to him. Her eyes widened and her smile fell into a worried look when he came closer. She momentarily tossed aside his words as she went up to him, covering what was left in the distance to check his injuries herself. "You need to see a doctor," she murmured, biting her lip. "This was because of me... I'm so sorry."

Then she remembered he had said something and made a face toward the words that he had said, backing up a bit. "I would think that you wouldn't want to see me ever again, not the other way around," she told him. "I just... I just don't want you to get hurt. Enough people have gotten hurt in this war."

He smiled a little. "I'm fine. It's just from where they slammed me into the table. It's just bruising. I don't think it done any damage to the healing cuts. C'mon, we better move. I don't want you being out in the open when you're now a known mutant. Some people rather unfortunately share the opinion of my teammates." He started walking, trying to hide the pain.

"Ku, if I avoided everyone who was a mutant, I wouldn't be able to go about my life. I don't target them because they are different. I want to protect people. And you are a person. You are a human. Just a little different. And I mean, blue eyes were originally a mutation. What's to say we don't all have the ability to be like you, deep down inside?" He asked, looking down at her and grinning,

The girl raised a brow and pulled away, not believing his words but letting him have his space. She listened to his words, though, and nodded in a bit of disagreement. "A lot of people go along not even knowing that they're a mutant. Usually they don't discover their extra abilities until some big event happened in their life." She looked down, scuffing the ground a bit with her foot.

The memory of how she got her powers was still vivid in her mind. She shook the memory away for the time being to focus.

"Would they be following us at all?" she asked, worrying about the possibility of them finding where she lived and getting everyone else. "I can't endanger anyone."

"Nah, I doubt it. They only really pursue the really dangerous ones, and as far as I'm aware, they don't have any evidence that you're dangerous at all." He shrugged. "But if you're really worried, you can stay in mine. You can take the bed and I'll sleep on the couch tonight, if you're worried about it." He offered, almost doubting that she would take it. He was, at the end of the day, an OMEN officer.

The girl thought about it for a moment. In her mind, it wouldn't be a good idea to stay at the home of a man she barely knew. Then again, it would mean that her roommates will remain safe for the time being. She stayed quiet, thinking about the possible scenarios before smiling slightly.

"Okay," she finally replied. "Anyway, we still have a date that barely even started to finish."

He grinned, partially from surprise, and partially from happiness. "Okay, then. We can watch a movie or something, if you want? I think I have microwave popcorn, and while it's not as good as the cinema, I can melt some butter over it and we can pretend or whatever." He suggested as he started to walk.

He opened the door to his apartment and walked to the end of the hall, heading into the kitchen. He dumped his keys on the counter and opened the fridge. "Can I get you anything to drink? Beer? Coke?" He asked, looking at her over the fridge door as he pulled out a bottle of beer for himself. It was almost ice cold- exactly how he liked it.

The girl couldn't help but laugh, smiling as he suggested a movie and popcorn. "That sounds perfect," she told him as they arrived at his apartment door. She followed him in and took the time to close the door behind her as he walked to the end of the hallway. Upon his question on drink choice, she replied with, "I'm not old enough to drink, so I'll have a Coke!"

She took the time to look around at her new surroundings as she slowly started her way toward the direction that he disappeared into. "Your place looks nice, Seth."

It was definitely better than the place she lived at. With several people living there, people got stubborn about cleaning up after others and those who made the mess were stubborn about cleaning it themselves. Eventually, it became equivalent to a hoarder's home with trash before someone came down with an iron fist on an all house cleanup. Then again, she could just be exaggerating, too.

"Did you have an idea of what movie to watch?"

He pulled out a bottle of Coke and took the lid off of his beer. He walked over and handed her the bottle of Coke, shrugging at her question about the movie. He sat in front of the TV and opened the cabinet of DVDs. "What kind of movie are you in the mood for? Just shout, and I'll see what I have." He said, taking a swig of his beer. He pressed the cold bottle to his side as he stared at the stacks of DVDs, waiting for her answer.

The girl made a pondering face, looking up at the ceiling. "Action... With fast driving and guns. Yeah... I like that shit," she replied, looking down at him and seeing him press the bottle to his side. She walked over and knelt down next to him. "How's your injury? Did it open back up? Do the bandages need changing?"

So many questions, but she never liked seeing anybody get hurt or be hurt or be in pain. If there was any way she could help, she would try her best. She wanted to check it herself, but she didn't want to impede upon his space or cause him more harm by being forceful.

He slid his shirt up as she knelt down beside him, letting her see it. He looked down at the bandages. "Yeah. I better see to that. Getting slammed into the table probably didn't do much good. They're starting to heal up well, but I've still got to be careful." He stood up, taking a swig from the bottle as he did so.

The girl bit her lip and watched as he got up and walked away. "I wish I didn't run away," she started, looking down. "But I am fully aware of what OMEN can do, so we don't mess with them."

She had gotten countless warnings to not get involved with OMEN hunters in any way. If they did look her way, she had to get out of there without letting them catch onto her being a mutant. Thankfully, she didn't really have to worry about attention being pulled toward her now. The only time the came after her was just this time.

He pulled off his shirt as he reached the bathroom, still listening to her. He unwound the bandages and took advantage of it to look at the marks. They were starting to heal up pretty well. OMEN were supplying him with medicine to help them heal faster. He had been a little suspicious at first, but someone had explained it to him. He wasn't much use when he was injured, so it made sense for them to get them to heal up. He swallowed one of the pills, and put one of the pads to his waist, covering most of the cuts. He started winding the bandages themselves around his torso, making sure they were tight enough.

He rolled his eyes as he walked out, his shirt over his shoulder as he finished wrapping himself. "Ku, you did the right thing. If you would have stayed to fight, they would have had ammunition against you. In fact, that probably worked in your favour. You clearly haven't turned violent- if you had, you would have fought. My actions were excused because they had just ambushed my date." He grinned, looking at her. "Would you prefer if I left my shirt off?" He teased, holding it in one hand.

She looked over at him, having scanned the titles of the DVDs in front of her, as he walked back in. "I'm aware that they had more against me, but I don't necessarily like the force the put against 'dangerous mutants', as OMEN hunters so bluntly call it. As a mutant myself, I understand fully what they're going through. The panicked stages of-- Do you guys have a gym you work out at or something? You severely distract the female eye," she pointed out, still staring. "And I've thought about it... I'm fine with either way. You look good with and without clothes."

The girl thought back for a moment and her face turned red as her hands came up and covered it. "That was so perverted. So sorry..." she replied, smiling a uncontrollably at the amusement of it all.

He laughed. "We don't have a gym, but we are obliged to keep ourselves in good fitness. And thank you. But I think I will wear my shirt. For now, at least." He teased, winking at her. He buttoned the shirt back up, but left the top few buttons undone. He ran a finger down the titles, and carefully removed one. He handed it to her. "Lots of explosions, lots of car chases and intense showdowns. I'll put the popcorn on."

He was almost surprised about how relaxed he was. She was a mutant. He was an OMEN officer. And he didn't even care. She wasn't going to hurt him. She trusted him, and he trusted her. It was just natural. He didn't care about anything like that. He shoved a bag of popcorn into the microwave, setting the timer and leaning against the counter.

The girl nodded, smiling as she looked at the movie in her hands. "Awesome," she mused, turning her attention to his TV. "Listen to the popcorn. It's not just a food, it's an art!" She chuckled, getting the movie set up so that, when the popcorn was ready, they could just sit back and watch it. It was almost to the back of her mind that he was an OMEN officer.

He was different, though, from the rest of them. He seemed to accept new knowledge and mutants a bit better than other humans. She wondered how he even got to be an OMEN hunter to begin with. If he was really like the rest of them, she'd be in restraints and being taken away to be experimented on. What made him think so much differently, though?

He laughed. "I'm listening to i- Whoops." He quickly pulled open the microwave and pulled out the bag of popcorn, gently tipping it into a bowl. He grabbed a spoon and dumped a chunk of butter on top of the hot popcorn, watching as it started to melt almost immediately. He carried the bowl over and sat on the couch, suddenly very conscious of the distance between them. He cleared his throat and put the bowl on the coffee table, before standing up and turning the lights down.

His couch was meant for two people, three at most. So when he sat back down, they were closer than they had been all evening. He was suddenly incredibly conscious of that. He smirked a little. It wasn't the fact that she was a mutant that was making him nervous. It was the fact that she was this close to him. Typical.

She was extremely conscious of how close he was to her, but wasn't going to let that bother her. Ever since she found out about her abilities, it was very hard to let someone sit close to her. Her roommates would have to deal with many episodes of her exploding at them to 'get out of her bubble' when they came too close to her, and this was after several months have passed by. Before that she remained recluse in her room until she slowly started to come to terms with her new self.

Though curiosity ate away at her. She wanted to ask questions and talk some more, but she didn't want to disrupt the movie or the expectation of one. She leaned forward and grabbed some popcorn to pop in her mouth one at a time. At least it helped with the hunger of not having their earlier date.

Status
Not open for further replies.