Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
He grinned as she took his hand. He started walking back up to the apartment, feeling the adrenaline starting to pump under his own skin at her contact. "Music? Ahh... Rock, mostly. Little bit of metal, but mostly rock. Nothing like a good old mosh pit to make you feel alive. What about you?" He asked, unlocking his door one-handedly.

"Mosh pits scare me... Like a bunch of atoms randomly ramming into each other. I like rock, too. Classic rock like Bon Jovi and the like. Country, Shania Twain and Johnny Cash and some Josh Turner. Techno... Classical... Folk... Celtic... Whatever becomes an earworm... Actually earworms piss me off," she replied, watching him manuever with one hand the action of opening the door. "I'm a little eclectic with my choices of music, really."

He laughed. "They're fun while you're in them. Not so much fun the next morning. And I like people with eclectic tastes. " He grinned as the door swung open, looking at her. "I broke my collarbone earlier this year and wasn't allowed to as much as move my arm for three weeks. In those situations, you learn how to do things with one hand. Of course, I had to walk everywhere. I got two weeks off work and was assigned to desk duties for two weeks after that. I was bored out of my mind."

"You're just saying that," she said in reply to him liking people with eclectic tastes. Then she laughed slightly and shook her head toward his story. "I'm so sorry that you had to endure that torment. I'm glad you seem to be doing a lot better now, though."

She followed him back inside the apartment and glanced toward the TV. "Shall we finish our movie?"

He laughed. "Oh, that was a few months ago. All healed up and perfectly usable. And why not? We've got a bowl of perfectly good popcorn!" He grinned and sat on the couch, pulling her down with him. "By the way, I'm totally comfortable with physical contact, so feel free to lean on me or whatever." He said, grinning at her as he pressed play.

"You just want to feel a pretty girl press up against you. Admit it," she replied, that devilish smirk coming back. The movie started to play and her attention was slowly starting to be pulled to the explosions on the screen. She turned toward the TV and leaned against Seth. "Do you have surround sound? It sounds very epic right now."

He grinned as she leaned against him. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "Seriously, if I'm going too far at any point, just tell me. I'm not going to be offended, I swear." He told her. "And yeah. It came with the apartment, which suits me down to the ground." He leaned forward and sat the bowl of popcorn between them. "Now, even better."

The girl let out a laugh. "I didn't even know that apartments supplied surround sound, too. I wish my place had that, but the best sound that I got are my computer speakers. Don't knock them, though. Set them up just right and the house can rock." She smirked, getting another handful of popcorn. "This is a good movie, by the way."

"I bought this after it had been done up. I came to view it while wearing my OMEN jacket, and when I moved in, they had fitted surround sound. I didn't question it. So if you're planning on moving any time soon, let me know and I'll come along with the jacket. Like I said, perks of the job." He took a handful of popcorn as well, throwing pieces into his mouth. "I have to say, this is one of my favourites. I'm honoured to share it with you.

The girl laughed, shaking her head toward his offer. "I don't plan on moving anywhere new in the near future. I feel most at home, well... At home. Most of the time. Right now, this is rather cozy," she told him, grabbing another handful of popcorn to pop one at a time into her mouth. "Also, I really don't think I can afford the rent at a place like this to begin with."

He grinned. "Yeah, it's not exactly cheap. But OMEN do pay well. I don't like what we have to do most of the time, but it can be worth it. You've just got to learn to switch off and not think too much about anything, otherwise you'll end up frying your brain and going mad." He fished a handful of popcorn out of his mouth. "So, do you drive? And what's your apartment like?"

Kurureenu listened to his reply about OMEN and sat up a bit. She looked up at the ceiling, thinking back several years. "No... I don't drive. I'm afraid to," she admitted to him. "And we live in a house that we rent. We all split the rent equally and it's pretty cheap there. We feel safe there, being among those who want to serve a common cause. Also, I don't think we can afford anything better... Actually, one of my roommates can but he prefers to live with us."

He frowned a little, staying quiet for a moment as he watched the action on screen. It was starting to come to a close, and he figured they had maybe fifteen minutes of it left. "If I'm being honest, if they even suspected you of being a mutant, the rent would double. Unless they were a mutant themselves, in which case they'd probably drop it a bit. Pretty sure my landlord is all human though, and fully behind OMEN's actions." He drained his beer and reached down to put the bottle on the floor beside him.

The girl nodded in agreement. "I'm pretty sure, too," she replied, then glanced over toward him. "Do you think that this war will ever end? Or do you think it'll just drag on until one or the other is exterminated?"

He shrugged. "Hopefully not. Because if the mutants stop simply trying to defend themselves, and end up turning on the humans, this war is going to get infinitely more messy." He stared at the screen as the credits started to roll, grinning a little. "Shall I walk you home?"

Kurureenu started to stare at the credits as well, watching as the names quickly drifted off the screen and imagining them rolling up into a roll behind the TV. "Do you really want to do that? I mean... You might meet my roommates... I can't promise you'd make it out of there innocently. Definitely alive, but you would be stripped of all the good things from your childhood. Or so, that's what it'll feel like. Are you sure?"

Maybe she was exaggerating, but she was enjoying dragging out this joke. Him walking her home meant the end of the date. She was having so much fun...

He grinned. "In that case, if I die, I will die after a wonderful night. Or, we could take the motorbike and go the long way around..." He grinned, pulling on his leather jacket and grabbing his keys. "I'll also make sure I'm not wearing anything that identifies me as OMEN. Am I good?" He asked, spinning around slowly and spreading his arms. He was pretty sure that his badge was in his other jacket, but he had to be sure.

Kurureenu laughed, shaking her head a bit. "I like the idea of taking the long way around," she told him. "Also... They already know you're OMEN..." She looked to one side and smiled shyly. "They found the card you gave me in my pants. It was their idea for me to actually do something for once instead of sit at home and play video games. Otherwise, this wonderful night would have been another one in front of my TV yelling at 10 year olds."

She turned a smile toward Seth. "I just think it's their personalities that might scare you away, though."

He shrugged. "Once I don't get eaten alive or viciously interrogated about my intentions or anything, it's all cool by me." He took her hand again and pulled her down to the bike, handing her the helmet again. He pulled on his own and sat down on the bike, waiting for her arms around his waist before he leaned forward and took to the streets.

The girl gladly followed after him and held on tightly after putting on the helmet before they started off once again. She enjoyed the pumping of her adrenaline from being on the bike and watching the lights blur by once again like shooting stars. The night seemed so much more beautiful like this, it seemed. She told Seth her address, making sure to be heard over the bike as they zoomed forward.

She almost forgot she was going home.

Status
Not open for further replies.