Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Okay," she agreed, feeling pangs of worry rise up and swell. "I'll see you over there in a jif."

As soon as she hung up the phone, she slid it back into her pocket and carefully scooted down the slope of cement before running off. She slipped through alleys and sprinted across streets. She made sure to be careful about getting there so she didn't draw any attention. She felt the duffle bag bump against her side as she trotted up toward the front of the pub, making sure to keep her footsteps quiet in the alleyway she didn't draw unnecessary attention from those who were hanging out by the front of the place. She peeked around the corner and saw Seth. Her heart jumped with a mix of excitement to finally see him and worry to see the blood that soaked through his clothes.

"Seth," she called, moving the duffle to be behind her before jogging up to him. "These look really bad. Are you still bleeding? Do you need a doctor?"

He smiled a little as he saw her, standing up. "No, no, I don't need a doctor. I don't know if I'm still bleeding, being perfectly honest. Come on, let's just go back to mine. I need to patch myself up." He swung his leg onto his bike and waited for her to climb on.

He headed straight for his apartment and headed up, letting himself in and shutting the door after her. He went into the bathroom, pulling off his shirt and looking at the bruises and scratches that covered his torso. It appeared the worst of the bleeding had stopped, but he was still in pretty bad shape.

Kurureenu nodded, following him onto the bike. She made sure to hold onto him gingerly, but tightly enough to not fly off the bike. She didn't want to disturb his injuries or make them any worse than they already are. She didn't watch the lights blur by as her mind swam with thoughts of everything that had happened that day. It started off as any other and... Now they were here.

Before she knew it, they were back at Seth's place, inside his apartment, and he was off to the bathroom to tend to his wounds. "Do you want me to help you?" Kurureenu asked, leaning over a bit. "I used to be first aid certified if that means anything."

He nodded a little. "Yeah, actually. Everywhere hurts, so patching up anywhere's going to hurt." He admitted. He wanted to be the strong type that brushed off pain like it was nothing, but it wasn't actually. He really was in pain, and he didn't want to make anything worse because he was stubborn. "I think there are cuts on my back- will you clean them for me?" He handed her an anti-bacterial wipe and turned around.

Kurureenu listened to him as he told her about the pain he was in. She frowned, remembering that whenever someone suffered, she wished she could take on that suffering and let them be happy again. With the impossibility of that, the best way she was able to help was to offer help. She took the antibacterial wipe from him seeing him reveal cuts underneath his shirt from God-knows-what.

"They really beat you hard," she murmured, carefully starting to clean the wounds while paying attention to how his body moved. It wasn't because any distractions or anything, but she wanted to make sure she didn't sting any of his cuts. Otherwise, in a different situation where he wasn't injured, she would probably be distracted.

He nodded. "Wanted to teach me a lesson. What would happen if I didn't follow their every order. That and as a punishment." He sighed. "And I can't leave. They'll kill me if I try to leave, so..." He sighed. "Things are about to get a whole lot worse. If they do this to me for associating with a mutant, then you guys are in deep trouble." He turned around and took the wipe from her, staring at the floor. He looked up at her. "Ku, you need to go. I should have told you that on the phone, I just... I was scared. But you've got to go. Now. Do you need anything?"

The girl listened to him and controlled the rage started to lick at the edges of her senses. She needed to concentrate on helping him out, not accidentally hurting him because she was angry. It wasn't until he took the wipe from her that she suddenly let her anger at OMEN become more prevalent. "No," she simply replied, crossing her arms. She didn't want to allow him any time to attempt to convince her, so she continued, the light around her image starting to bend as she focused more on being able to argue her side than to control her powers. She didn't care at this moment about them, anyway.

"OMEN has been a bullying thorn up everybody's ass for years now," she told him. "And just because some egotistical bastard decided to start making some new decisions around the job tree, I'm not going to let that stop me or scare me. I'm not going anywhere, especially if I can't get everyone I care for into safety. I'd rather stick around and try to save more of my kind from OMEN from the within the city instead of running away with my tail between my legs."

The girl's face flushed red when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and she walked out of the bathroom, seeking darkness in another room. She needed to calm down and concentrate again. It was almost like she was the picture that someone was playing with the opacity on when she let her emotions control her.

She was starting to literally flicker as she spoke. That distracted him enough so that he couldn't respond until she left. He rolled his eyes and finished off cleaning the wounds that he could reach. He bandaged them up and went into his room to put on a clean shirt and jeans. If he hadn't let himself want to meet her, she'd probably be safe and out of the city now. He was mad at himself, and mad at OMEN, and just mad in general. He pulled a bottle of beer from the fridge and started drinking it as he waited for her to emerge.

Kurureenu eventually calmed down, walking back into the room with a face that was still red. "Sorry, Seth..." she muttered, looking down. "When I get... uhm... passionate about a topic or something... And loose concentration... Yeah... That." She always tried to keep herself in check, but she felt even more embarrassed now that she did it in front of Seth. "I'm also sorry for arguing. I know you're concerned about me, but I don't want to let you be alone in this. I don't want them to hurt you, either."

He signed as she apologised, shaking his head. "It's fine, seriously." He adjusted his position on the couch so she could sit down. "I just think that you need to be fully aware that you being here is putting yourself and possibly me in danger. If you want to stay and fight, you can. But you'd be safer anywhere else. And if anyone sees me with you, we're both screwed. And I don't want that."

Kurureenu didn't really know what she felt with his words. It was a mix of different emotions, but she wasn't going to let that show. She just knew that he was pushing her away because, after all, she was a mutant and he an OMEN hunter. It was true. If seen together, there would be a lot of trouble caused. She knew the repercussions of being here with him now, and meeting him at the pub earlier, and even staying in the city, but she still did it anyway.

Like she said before, she wanted everyone that she cared for to be safe.

"That's true..." she started slowly, still looking down. "Very true." She walked over to her duffle and swung it on with no problem at all. "Then I guess I should go, huh... Before more OMEN hunters notice that we're together. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." She had her hand on the knob and paused for a moment. "No matter what, though, don't hesitate to call me if you ever need my help."

Then she walked out, not waiting for him to say another word. She couldn't risk putting him in even more danger than he already was in. The injuries that riddled his body was because of her. Because he was with her and around her. She was a mutant. Why did she ever think that there was a possibility that she could maintain any kind of relationship with a human. Let alone an OMEN hunter.

God... I feel stupider and stupider by the minute. she thought, mentally chastising herself as she made her way to the street.

She shut the door, and he leaned forward, burying his face in his hands. He couldn't decide if he'd just made one of the biggest mistakes in his life, or if he'd done the right thing. Was he being selfish, trying to protect his own ass? Or was he doing the right thing, trying to protect her? He didn't know, and it hurt to think too much. He pulled out his phone and started writing a text to explain. But he kept deleting it, unable to find the words. So eventually he just sent her one word. "Sorry."

Kurureenu didn't move. She could really move, actually. Maybe she hoped that he was change his mind or something? Then again, this was really best for the both of them. They both needed to be away from each other to be the safest. Would that really make them the safest? She wanted to punch something, feel a break of skin to help calm the angry nerves that just seemed to shudder even tighter with rage for OMEN. Instead, she started walking, staying on the side walk and trying to keep herself calm.

Stay calm... Concentrate... she thought, sighing deeply. She heard her phone and pulled it out, knowing who it was from. She saw simply 'Sorry' scrawled onto her screen and she frowned. To her, it just seemed so final. She didn't text him back, though. She put the phone back into her pocket and kept walking down the dark street.

"First thing's first in a war..." she muttered, adjusting her duffle at a cross walk. "Have a camp to make battle plans." She forced a laugh. Now she was making jokes? Or at least trying. It felt like her phone was going to burn a hole in her pocket but she ignored it. If she texted him back, they might end up convincing each other into close quarters again, and she knew how that could end.

A few days later, Seth was back on the job. The OMEN uniform was starting to become a symbol associated with fear. Even the humans were starting to fear OMEN, due to the reputation they'd gotten for attacking anyone associated with mutants. It was common knowledge that if you wanted revenge on someone, you could just accuse them of association, and they'd get attacked by OMEN officers.

Seth hated it. He'd talked to his commanding officer off the record, and he had been assigned to a team of similar minded people who dealt with arrests as opposed to attacks. He was still carrying out orders and arresting mostly innocent people, so OMEN couldn't attack him, but if he hurt anyone, it was in self-defence. He slept a little better knowing that.

But things in the city were deteriorating. Hence why Seth was currently caught in a riot, trying to control and eliminate the violence. He was wearing a bulletproof vest and a similar material protected his legs. He wasn't dealing with the forefront of it, rather making sure that nobody attempted to double around and attack from behind.

Kurureenu was texting on her phone furiously, standing in the corner of an unfamiliar bedroom as another person quickly threw clothes and such into a bag. "Hurry," the girl sneered, glancing out the window to make sure the coast stayed clear. "Pack faster."

It has only been a few days since the change in leadership with OMEN and so much in the city has already deteriorated. It was like the Salem Witch Trails, but this time it involved mutants. Anyone who supported mutants were either dealt with or had went into hiding. Many mutants who were already trying to hide had hightailed it out of the city as soon as the new leadership was made known and made it to the news. While OMEN worked to eradicate the city of mutants their way, Kurureenu worked to get them out of the city her way.

"Okay, I'm done," the girl finally said, throwing on her backpack. "Can I say bye to my parents?"

"No time. We'll work out something later, but we need to get out of here," she replied, rushing the girl out the door and out of the house. "We need to meet up with my contact and get you out of the city. Once you're safe, they will help you get a hold of your parents."

Kurureenu smiled softly. This girl was young... Thankfully, Kurureenu was nearby when this girl discovered her powers, as a result of being bullied. While she was able to quickly keep the situation from getting worse, she knew that OMEN would be crawling around soon. They needed to work fast.

I just hope I don't run into Seth. she thought, her soft smile disappearing.

"Horus, there's a potential hostile approximately two minutes from your location. Be on your guard." Seth nodded. "Copy that." The mike was clipped to his shirt, so he knew that his voice would be picked up. He drew his gun and waited. "Horus, do not respond to this message. We believe that the hostile is not alone and is headed directly in your direction. Engage in self-defense if necessary. However, do not attack it unless it attacks you."

Seth took shelter behind a stack of crates, removing the safety from his gun. A few seconds later, he heard the voice. "Where are you? Little OMEN officer... I can hear your blood pounding... Those boxes." Suddenly they burst apart and Seth shot to his feet. Two mutants stood there. He'd seen their case files. A blood manipulator and super strength, a lethal combination. He ducked as a box flew towards his head. He raised the gun and fired above their heads.

"Silly little officer." The guy with super strength grabbed him. Trying desperately to keep his cool, Seth pointed his gun down and shot him in the shoulder. He hit the ground and winced, but fired at the other guy. "This is Horus, I need backup!" He yelled.

The two females were taking alleys again, keeping off the roads as much as they could. There was the sound of gunshots in the distant, which made the girl stop out of fear. Kurureenu pushed her gently and told her to keep going. They were getting close to their destination and they only had a certain amount of time to get there.

"That sounded really close," the girl pointed out.

Kurureenu scoffed, trying to make the girl keep up pace. "All the more reason to keep running. We'll be there soon, so keep your wits about you." That's OMEN. It has to be. she thought, glancing over in the direction of the sound.

"Back up's going to be a few minutes away, Horus. How long can you hold them off?" Seth fired a shot into the blood manipulator's shoulder. It was his third hit, but the mutant's powers meant that there was little to no blood flow. Sure, he was in pain, but he seemed to have an abnormally high pain tolerance. He hadn't managed to hit the guy with super strength yet, mostly because he was just trying to stay out of his way. "I don't know! Tell them to get here as soon as possible!" He yelled, firing off another shot. Suddenly, he was lifted off the ground. Even with the first bullet in his shoulder, the guy with super strength lifted Seth above his head easily and flung him to the ground. Seth yelled out, seeing stars for a moment. His gun clattered out of his hand. He blinked away the stars and reached for his gun. He swore as he saw fresh blood on his arm. Fresh blood meant that the blood manipulator had more to use against him.

Kurureenu paused, hearing more gun shots. The girl stopped a few steps after her and looked back toward her. She had something to do... right? Her mind clouded up and she started to wonder about Seth. Was he the one that fired? Were there more mutants? Was he okay? She bit her lip and felt a tug on her hand. She turned toward the girl she was helping and shook her head.

"Right... I'm sorry. We're almost there. Around that corner and they should be just up the street," she told the girl, racing out with her and running down. There was a powder blue sedan waiting and running as they got up to it. Kurureenu ushered the girl into the back seat and went to the window and glared. "Take care of her, Tim. And don't be an asshole about anything."

The man scoffed, glancing in the rear view mirror. "Are you still going to stay here? For that OMEN officer?"

The girl glared, really feeling an urge to punch. "I'm staying here to help my own kind. I told you to not be an asshole about anything. I haven't seen him for days," she told him, starting to back up and smack the roof. "Get the fuck out of here."

Tim glared at her again, receiving the full message behind Kurureenu's standing middle fingers afterward. "Be careful and call me if you run into any trouble." Then he drove off.

"I promise I won't!" she hollered after him, still flipping the car off as he drove away.

Seth wrapped his fingers around his gun and brought it up, pulling the trigger. A bullet grazed the blood manipulator's side, but didn't do any real damage. Seth gritted his teeth and rolled, aiming for the guy with super strength. He missed, and was forced to curl into a ball to avoid something crashing into his head. "Horus, back up's going to be delayed." He swore and shoved himself to his feet. The blood manipulator was practically in his face, wielding a knife, and he acted instinctively, swinging his gun and hitting them across the face with it. He ducked as one of them swung a fist and pulled the trigger. His stomach dropped as the gun clicked- telling him that it was empty. He was out of ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.