For the Dragons

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
He swooped down, looking over everything before swooping higher gracefully. He felt his wings straining and he looked back at her.

It can't be a long flight today.

Zairee anticipated the plunge still looking down through his eyes and feeling the plan before it occurred. She smiled and nodded at him

Whenever you're ready to land...

--
Iridessa stood in a meadow picking herbs and spices and placing them into a basket. She heard the deep rumble of scales and looked up to see many riders' first flights. Her eyes traced the sky looking for another dragon that was carrying her daughter but none of the ones flying low was Zairee. It wasn't until she looked up from her line of vision that she saw Fire Starter and her daughter hooting excitedly. She fought back a smile feeling the ache deep within her chest. She pat her eyes dry of some tears and wiped her hands on her apron heading back towards town. The celebratory dinner for first rides would begin soon and she wanted to be back home before having to run into Zairee and her dragon

Fire Starter swooped down to his barn, spiraling slowly and making sure his rider stayed aloft. He arched his back as he landed, his wings unfurling like that of a sails.

Here we are...

He puffed out.

She smiled once back on the ground and jumped off to lessen his strain. She instantly hugged him.

That was amazing! Thank you Fire Starter

Fire Starter put his head to her as she hugged him, pushing her away slightly as he flopped onto the ground in exhaustion.

You are most welcome...I am sorry that I have grown so fat...

He growled, his wings stretching out as they popped and moaned from the strain.

I should have warmed them up first...

She frowned at him.

Well I don't see you as fat, large creature yes, but there must be something we can do to make it easier for you?

Fire Starter chuckled and shook his head

Nema had threatened me with a diet and exercise for a long time. Looks like that gal was right.

He stood, flapping his wings and stretching, letting out a rumble of content. He put his head down to hers and breathed out a large breath of air, curling his wings by his side.

She giggled at his recall of a threat.

Well maybe it's time we get you on that diet?

She pat his forearm sweetly

He put the image into her mind.

The blue dragon poked him in his side with a foreclaw, "Oh my, Fire Starter...You have grown fat and lazy in that barn and little village of yours." She chuckled, her tail sweeping the ground as she pressed her face into his. "How are you going to keep up on a mating flight after you have bonded? That human better get you into shape and fast." Nema laughed at him, jumping a few paces away and sending him an impression of flirtation before she bound into the air, moving gracefully.

Fire Starter moved his head back, chuckling at the memory.

Zairee looked at him wide eyed and blushed. Nema had left nothing to the imagination and it was her job to get Fire Starter in tip top shape. She flushed crimson, by all means she didn't want her dragon to need to rest during a mating flight. She shook her head.

Well, for the protection of your species and your own delighit... she giggled.. What must I do to aid in your shape up?

Fire Starter blew air into her face.

Training. Lots of training. Lots of flying and soaring and racing. Nema was the only female this batch that was not chosen for a rider. That means all the other males will be racing against me on the mating flight.

He sat down, using a back leg to scratch at a dry spot on his side.

My scales are shedding too, darnit. That also weighs me down. Even if I was oiled every day endlessly, dry spots would pop up as I begin to shed.

The scales that he had already shed, shimmered with restored color. Only patches of shimmering scales could be seen, standing out against the duller ones.

Zairee laughed closing her eyes as the air blew her hair back in awkward places exposing her pointy ears. She raised an eye brow at him.

Lots of training it is then. Is there any way to have you shed quicker? or get it done all at once?

She asked wondering if Gideon and Adriel would be able to help some how help him

Fire Starter shook his head,

No, but with my luck, the other males will be shedding too.

The great dragon rolled onto his back, looking at her from upside down. His tongue flicked out of his mouth and he chuckled.

She smiled and rubbed his stomach slightly.

No more miss nice girl then. We'll be training first thing in the morning every day, before first light. Make sure you enjoy this last night of rest.

She giggled laying down on the ground beside the dragon looking up at the clouds.

Fire Starter groaned when she rubbed his stomach.

Very well, rider. I shall do as you command.

He flipped back over, curling around her.

The night was young and soon the lively noise from town filled the air. The festivities were beginning and Zairee noticed another dragon flying towards town.

First Ride ceremony is beginning. We should get going.

Fire Starter grumbled.

Only if I get to eat..

He curled his tail around her and stretched.

Come rider. Climb on and we will be off!

She climbed aboard easily and felt that rush as he took off into the darkening skies
Eat? What about that diet?

She giggled warning him to eat only what was necessary and not to indulge in the feast they would surely provide for the dragons.

The town was abuzz more so than the night of the bonding ceremony. Other towns and their dragons and riders had traveled to the central town. Dancing, music and the roasting of pigs and lambs filled the night air. Zairee looked around amazed at how easily humans and elves were getting along when it came to food and music. She smiled as the riders were being indulged as heroes already and the dragons glorified. Once they had landed they were greeted by two beautiful women who placed a chain of banded twigs painted gold around Zairee's head as did the rest of the riders. She felt special and enjoyed as people made way for them to join the others. She sat at one of the large chairs placed at the largest table designated for elders and riders.

Fire Starter watched over her even as he joined his kind. Small children gushed at the dragons and women dressed in bright fabrics brought whatever they asked to them. A band of elves played an upbeat melody and men asked for women's hands in the dance. Another rider from a distant town bowed before Zairee asking for her hand in a dance. She blushed and felt the watchful eye of her dragon and looked back to peer at his observant eye. She smiled at him before turning to the rider and offering her hand.

After two dances with the young handsome rider she was pleasantly surprised when Gideon's son, Adriel, cut in for her hand. The young elf was very handsome and his dark hair clashed with her platinum blonde one. "How is your training going?" he leaned in his mouth nearly touching her ear to ask over the commotion around them. She blushed furiously at his proximity and then smiled. "Very well although I need to get us training more than most." She smiled over at Fire Starter who seemed to be communicating with a beautiful female dragon of a bright turquoise color. "Ah, I should look to the skies more often then." She blushed as he indirectly mentioned he was looking for her as of yet. As he twirled her to the end of a song his thumb brushed the bright spot on the height of her cheek bone. "Enjoy your night rider." he said bowing to allow yet another expectant young man the opportunity to dance with the beautiful elf.

Fire Starter took off into the air, ignoring his riders lecture about eating. He landed in the town, letting Zairee get off him, before he wandered off to the other dragons. The children that came up to him began to tug on his wings and scratch his belly and he sighed happily. He was surprised when Neema approached and they shared thoughts.

Children seem to like you, mister fat and lazy.

She teased, sitting and laughing at him. He looked down at the children and sighed,

I don't like being called fat and lazy, Neema.

He sent her a mental image of him sticking his tongue out. She sent back one of her grabbing his tongue in her claws and yanking it. He chuckled, his scales rattling and scaring off the children.

Iridessa stood at the top step of her shop. From where she stood she could see the dragons clearly and when she scanned the open circle used for dancing she saw her daughter smiling at Gideon's son. Her eye brow shot up instantly and she huffed picking up her skirts intent on finding the old man. When she found him he had just finished a dance with his youngest daughter. "Gideon I wish to know why your son is dancing off with my daughter." Gideon fixed his glasses on his face and smiled warmly at Iridessa. "Nice to see you too Iridessa. I do not know why Adriel is dancing with Zairee, but I do believe last I saw they were both smiling."

She gawked at the old man. "She's not a baby any longer Iridessa, by my calculations most their age have already tied to be wed the coming spring. You should be glad that with riding she will not have much time for romance." She glared at him her face contoring angrily. "Romance shall not be for her at this point or any until she is old enough and a ready made woman. She is too young." Gideon shook his head knowing that the entire rant the tired looking elf was making had only to do with her fear of losing the only thing she had left of family. He extended his hand and pat her on the shoulder. "I have no fear that much will come of their interests in each other, for I know my son is a good hard working boy. Fire Starter is also watching over her, remember she is in good care. Have a lovely evening Iridessa." he said before taking his wife's hand and leading her to the dance.

Zairee stood in the crowd no longer dancing and her ears twitched when she heard the sound of the call. When she turned she saw Adriel between two buildings away from the commotion of the night. She ducked through people to reach him a new sort of buzzing within her chest. "The night is too young to be smothered among annoyances." He said walking into the brush behind the buildings. She bit her lip nervously but followed feeling a trust for the elf. He called to her from the top branches of the tree he had just passed. "Join me?" He asked his voice lulling. She smiled and jumped up onto the trunk of one tree bouncing off of it and landing on the branch beside him. "Ah a tree dweller." She smiled at his comment and nodded sitting atop the branch swinging her legs in the late night.

Adriel sat beside her on the branch turned so that he was facing her. She blushed as his fingers gently pushed her hair behind her ear exposing her elvaan ear. She had always worn her hair down. Most female elves did to assist in foreigners in not discriminating against what humans believed to be a lower race. His finger lined the corner of her ear and she turned to look at him her mint green eyes bright. "You know, I've always looked at you and wondered." Her eye brows furrowed between her eyes curiously. "Wondered what?" "Why none of the other elves had payed you any interest when I couldn't get you out of my mind." she blushed and shrugged. "Not everyone thinks like you I guess." "What do you think?" "I don't know... what do I think about what?" "About yourself?" She shrugged once more and focused on answering the question.

"I think that I'm shy, but determined. I think that most don't give me the chance." He drew closer listening to her voice and words. "What if I asked you for a chance?" She turned to look at him blushing intensely as he leaned even closer. Before his lips could graze hers a noise unlike any other disturbed their silence and surroundings. The town for sure would not have heard it for they were several feet away from the festival. Her skin crawled on edge as the growl came to a close. Adriel stood looking out into the darkness knowing from living out further into the zone of demarcation the elders had in place that they had to get back into the town fast. She stood when his hand closed around hers and with one heaving leap he pulled them right between the two buildings once again. Her eyes searched his and he shook his head. "I must tell father. Goodnight Zairee." with that he vanished into the crowd.