For the Dragons

Fire Starter felt what she did when she stumbled and fell on her butt. He looked at her, wide eyes and alarm racing through him as he rushed to her side. He looked at what she had and his neck arched, hissing noises and clattering coming from his scales.

Let us be away from here. We can figure it out later.

She nodded although curious she agreed staying close beside him. On the walk back she decided to ask.

We have always been told to stay out of the woods, that things crawl about and things we've never even dreamed of. What do you guys protect us from?

Fire Starter snorted, looking at her with concern.

Many things that as my rider you may eventually see. The Chokiri are one such type of beast.

His whole body shook, scales clattering.

She blinked wanting to know more but as they neared the tree of Gideon's home she thought it best to keep that talk where younger ones couldn't hear. "Where has your father gone to?" "He said he'd meet you at the edge of town towards your tree Zairee." She smiled and pet each on their head lightly continuing towards their destination. She saw then the young elf from the store. He must've been her age or a year older at the most and she remembered him easily. She smiled easily at the pair as Gideon bowed his head lightly in respect of Fire Starter his son, Adriel, copying his actions. "This way." she said waving them to follow them.

When they passed by her baobab tree she saw smoke wafting from the chimney up top. She smiled wondering what her mother must've been cooking. The tree looked different somehow, like it had lost its luster. It felt weird to her that the tree had only looked this way since her absence from home.

It looks as if it's mourning me she thought to herself oddly shaking it off walking down the path that eventually led to their barn. She saw that a carriage usually used to pull hay was near the barn with items stacked neatly within it. "I delivered them before going home." Adriel finally spoke. Zairee smiled nodding her head as a thank you. "I will gladly move the items inside once we are done helping Fire Starter." She smiled sweetly at him. He seemed nervous as if speaking to her was causing him discomfort. She decided it best to leave him be, she didn't want to cause him any hardship.

She sat cross legged in a small patch of wildflowers watching as the two men took to Fire Starter who relaxed as they worked on oiling his scales. She laughed as a joyful noise erupted from the gargantuan beast. He looked over at her and she fought to control her giggles. Adriel noticed her laugh and as if it were contagious found himself also smiling. As they continued she placed her finger to a flower nearby feeling its life force course through her. She pushed it slightly some of the pollen floating onto a flower next to it creating its own little circle of life. As if the flower was thanking her she felt the small surge of life emit onto her skin. She laid back enjoying the late summer's day. The sun beamed down on her face warming her like she did so many times before with her father.

Fire Starter relaxed as they began oiling him. His neck stretched out and his head rested on the ground, his eyes closing as he gave a noise between a groan and a purr.

ohhhhhh....can you ask them to try to take off the old ones too...there were a few between my shoulder blades the tree couldnt reach....

She laughed from where she laid and called out to Gideon and his son. "He asks if you could please remove the old ones between his shoulders." Gideon obliged and began picking off the older scales his son watching him, learning the old trade. "How did she know father?" "Oh my boy, these two are bonded in a way you and I cannot understand. They speak to each other through thoughts, feel each other no matter how far apart. It is something this small town does not understand." He nodded. He had also wanted to participate but because he had not lived close to the town like the leaders had requested of them, Gideon's family had been shunned as had Zairee's. He knew that sort of separation well.

Fire Starter spread out until he was flat on his belly and his wings were outstretched. A large toothy smile was on his face and he looked at Zairee.

Thank you! This is marvelous.

She giggled once more and walked over to them. "Great job, he really enjoyed it and helped him. Thank you both so much." The men looked at her with kind smiles and Adriel jumped down to begin moving stuff into the barn. Gideon finished up putting his items away and then stood beside Zairee. "You could not have chosen a better rider." He said to Fire Starter looking at Zairee. She smiled at the old elf. He had always been very kind to her and her family. "Your father would be so proud." She nodded a tearful expression on her face. She missed him very much. Once Adriel had finished he helped his father up onto the carriage. "Anytime you need us to help, all you have to do is ask. We are humbled to help." They both bowed in respect to the dragon and then took off in the carriage a horse pulling it slowly down the road. Adriel looked back at Zairee before they were too far into the woods to see her. "Your eyes have caught sight of someone of interest?" his father asked with a gruffy voice and a prying smile. "Let's get you home old man." His father laughed a chortling sound echoing through the woods.

Zairee sat cross legged in front of the barn.

Will you please tell me more about the creatures that your kind has protected us from?

Her curiosity could wait no longer.

Fire Starter's tail lashed.

My rider is going to be the best.

He watched the exchange and Adriel's glances with jealousy. If he were a two-legged...he shrugged. Her question brought him down from the clouds and he looked at her.

Ahhhhh, you wish to hear tales? They are not all good you see....

She looked up at him and smiled. She felt the emotion of jealousy that coursed through him and she pat his leg, the closest thing to her, in assurance and thanking him for asserting she would be the best.

If I am to be a skilled rider, I am going to need to know what I am going to be up against. They have been fables to us since childhood. I've always been curious

​She admitted to the dragon.

The dragon looked down at her with pride.

Well then. There are many classes of monsters. There are spirits, demons, creatures, and half-creatures. There are sub-classes of these classes. In the class of spirits there are ghosts, ghouls, poltergeists, etc. Demons...well...I shall not speak of hem. That would be calling them out and inviting them into my grove. Creatures, there are many many kinds of. Too numerous to name. Half-creatures are those such as werewolves, vampires, and lizardmen.

She nodded taking in all of what was being said. She had only seen one thing in her life that she could not write down as something known. Once while sneaking into the tops of her Baobab tree late at night to see the moon she had seen a dark figure skulk across the forest ground. Everywhere it went a dark cloud followed. It had looked at her with blood thirsty eyes and had frightened her to her core. She remembered touching the bark of her home tree and not feeling the regular pulsations of life where the creature stood. Whatever it was, it was not alive.

​Why do they wish to harm the town? Is it just in their nature to do so?

Fire Starter laughed.

Nature? Most beings in any of those categories feed on the emotions, blood, or life of the living. It depends on which category to which they belong.

She nodded running her hands along her arms as if to close in her space.

No wonder they were harsh in teaching us to never stray from town. I wonder if that is why Gideon would not follow to the tree.

Fire Starter reached out a foreleg and scooped her up close to him.

Do not worry! As the most powerful of creatures, we can keep them in line.

He let out a rumbling purr.

Large gatherings of people prove to be an enticement for such creatures, but they go after those that stray.

She smiled up at the dragon feeling instantly safe. The images of what she saw by the tree flooded her mind once more wondering who had died. The blood had not been of an animal. She hadn't known if it was of another creature, or worse a human or elf.

He looked down at her, a smile on his face.

You can rely on me, rider.

Zairee touched her hand to his chest and nodded.

Never had a doubt

The chirping of bugs and arthropods set the lullaby for the night as the forest darkened and night came. She buried herself into the mattress under a sheep's wool blanket. She blinked her eyes tiredly smiling as Fire Starter lowered into the pit made for bed, the sound of hay flattening at his weight. She fell asleep dreaming of dragons and flight.

Fire Starter nodded and stood, heading into the barn and going to the little hay nest he had. He settled in, groaning and smiling at hay. He grumbled, happy that his scales had been taken care of. He was well-oiled and should stay that way for at least a week. He curled his neck under his wing, yawning and quickly falling asleep.

The morning came quickly and Zairee was quick to fill the wash basin with water from the well near the barn. She cleared her throat at Fire Starter who looked up at her from his slumber.

I need some fire.

She said with a grin. He yawned and stretched his scales making that noise that Zairee had come to enjoy. Once he had stood he moved over to where her basin had been placed.

Not too hot please

She said with a giggle not thinking dragons had temperature settings.