For the Dragons

Fire Starter halted in his walking, turning his head to look at her.

That would be like me asking if I would fail you as a dragon. It is in your blood, your nature there is no reason for you to fail me.

She smiled at the dragon. He cared for her like none had since her father's passing. It was a breath of fresh air. She twirled around once and laid down on the grass staring up at the sky. The stars were so bright and the breeze was just enough to have her hair dancing around her and the blades bending.

--
Iridessa walked into the home and rushed upstairs looking around in the dark. "Zairee?" she called out nervously. All the lights were off and her daughter wasn't home. She felt a pit grow in her throat and she quickly composed herself. "Damn that girl and her disobedience. She's probably at the ceremony." she picked up her skirts and stalked down the path towards town once more.

Fire Starter chuckled and bent his head down to look at her. A smile tugged at his dragon mouth and his tail lashed.

Come. We need to get your space set up properly. What is good for a dragon is not...comfortable for a human.

She stood up and nodded at the dragon. "Will I be staying here with you from now on?" she asked feeling suddenly a worry itch at the back of her mind. Mom is going to be upset... she's worse than any of the leaders. She thought to herself not thinking if he could hear her. She walked into the barn and looked around. "When we were younger the teachers would tell us nightmarish stories of what was out in these barns and that we had no business mucking about in or around them. I remember when I was no more than five the boys all dared me to touch the door and I did to prove myself." She touched the door affectionately. "That's the last time I ever felt like I belonged in this town. I remember hearing a noise like no other within and all of us running away screaming... Could that have been you?" She asked turning to look at the massive creature so close to her.

--

"What on earth do you mean she was chosen?" Iridessa yelled her arms flailing in the air to emphasize her point. "What we mean is Madame, your daughter partook in the ceremony and was hand chosen by the great Fire Starter himself." Her eyes felt like they were bulging out of her head. "This cannot be true, you cannot allow such disobedience to have occur there has not been a female human let alone an elf as a rider in I don't know how long. Long before our time yet you're so quick to throw out all tradition?" The leaders all glared at Iridessa as she paced back and forth in the town hall. "Listen Lady Iridessa, we tried to fight this same battle, but with the dragons you cannot object. The bond was made, we have no say. He was quite clear of that." The older woman spoke curtly. "Where are they?" her mother said in a voice that sounded macabre. "We know nothing of their place, that is between dragon and rider, you know that your husband was their healer." Iridessa shot a glance at the woman who had the audacity to speak of her late husband. She picked up her skirts and fought off the tears as she headed back home. She would wait for Zairee to come to her.

Fire Starter opened the barn, revealing something that resembled a cave. Everything had been patched up and filled until little light shone through.

Yes you will be staying with me from now on. I will go with you to speak with your mother.

He walked to the center of the barn, unfolding his wings slightly. The ground had been hollowed out in the center and filled with some hay, made to be Fire Starter's bed. It also gave him the added space to be able to slightly stretch his wings. He listened to her story and nodded.

I remember that day well. The townsfolk were still cautious of me, as I was younger than most. I could feel the spirits of those outside my door and yours shone brightest of all.

Zairee sighed her shoulders slumping slightly at the thought of having to tell her mother. She knew she was torn between wanting to do something she had dreamed about and breaking her mother's heart. She knew she wouldn't take it lightly let alone be supportive... she'd play the victimized hurt mother whose daughter was tearing her heart out and stomping on it.

Zairee walked closer and sat on the edge of some bales of hay. She couldn't contain a wide smile when he mentioned her spirit had shone brightest. "I wonder why?" She asked marveled at something she didn't know about herself. "Where do I fit in here?" she asked looking around the rafty building.

Fire Starter simply shrugged. He looked around his 'den'.

We shall fetch a bed for you. Tell me what you would like and it shall be provided. You have freedom in my home, it is after all, yours now too. Unless you wish to stay with your mother?

Zairee shook her head. "No... if I go with mother she will send me away I can almost guarantee it. She doesn't like dragons. She thinks it's because papa was out delivering a potion that he was caught and killed and blames your kind. It was what papa loved doing, his death was unfair and hurtful but no one is to blame but those who committed the crime." She hugged herself thinking about her dad. "I'm all right with any kind of bed... or sleeping blanket really. I've spent many days just sleeping in tree branches." she laughed lightly.

Fire Starter smiled, spreading out a wing.

Come lay by me tonight and we shall figure out a bed for you tomorrow morning.

His jaw popped and cracked as he yawned and expelled a breath of flame.

She smiled warmly at the gargantuan dragon and nodded walking down into the hollowed spot for him. The hay felt soft beneath her feet and she snuggled close her eyes drooping from exhaustion. She laid on her stomach comfortably leaning her head against her folded arms. She smiled up at the dragon once more

Goodnight and thank you again for everything

She said in her mind before falling asleep.

--

Iridessa sat at the kitchen table waiting to hear the door open, waiting for her daughter to come home. She was seething with anger and looked up at the picture on the wall of her late husband and Zairee at one of the ceremonies. "You always had to encourage her dreams didn't you." She sighed and leaned her head against her arm. "Why couldn't you be here now to help me keep her safe?" tears streamed down her cheeks and she wiped at them in vain for they kept dropping making a small puddle on the counter top.

Fire Starter curled his long neck around her body, keeping his wing open like a tent for her. Soon, a soft heat filled under his wing and it wrapped around her like a warm blanket. He huffed and relaxed, falling into a gentle sleep.

Zairee slept surprisingly well for the first time in long months. She did not toss or turn or wake bathed in sweat after having a frightening dream. She simply woke when sunlight shone through the cracks in the roof of the barn. She stretched lightly and sat up her hair was in need of a good wash and brushing and she instantly knew her mother had opened the store on her own. She didn't want to wake Fire Starter if he was not up on his own first and decided to run home quickly to bathe. She snuck out quietly and traveled through the trees instead of on the ground. She felt better in the trees and could move quicker. She jumped from limb to limb swinging off of branches to land on the tree next to it. When she reached her home tree she slid in through the window. The house was empty like she assumed and she quickly bathed in scalding hot water to help her wake up and dressed lightly brushing her long hair and heading back towards the barn.

Fire Starter felt the beams on his scales, stretching and groaning as the sun warmed him. He folded his wings onto his back and stood, already noticing that his bonded was not with him. He shook, the scales sounding like a million tiny bells ringing at once. It had a musical quality to it.

Bonded, you have gone home?

He asked through their link, knowing that she was indeed home. Their link through the bond provided a sort of homing beacon. They can sense where the other is in proximity. Fire Starter stretched his wings to their full length, wishing to fly to help stretch them out.

Zairee had been on her way back when she heard his voice in her mind and she hurried along the path.

Almost back. forgive me for disappearing

She opened the door of the barn and smiled at him. "You look like you could use some more room." She waited for him to walk out so she could close the door. "What now? Do you wish to speak to mama or do I begin training?"

He moved out the door, his scales clattering in annoyance. He looked down at her.

You may go where you wish...I wished to know you were safe. Though, once we become better-bonded...you will be able to feel my emotions and I yours.

He spread his wings, snorting and expelling a burst of flame to help get his muscles moving.

Speak with your mother should come first, then training. We dragons often have trouble moving about in the cold...a walk would do me well.

Zairee nodded agreeing that maybe seeing her mother first would help her feel a great weight lift off her shoulders. She didn't know how training would go or how she would do and it would have probably been worse with the guilt of disobeying her mother. She followed beside the dragon the trek towards the town and to the herbal shop where her mother would be concocting for the day. Once they arrived into the town people scurried to make room for the dragon. Male elves that had gone to school with Zairee eyed her with a mix of anger and envy as she walked alongside Fire Starter. She looked around at them and felt not one drop of remorse for having participated the day before. She was sure of what she had wanted and of the dreams she had and were now coming true. She owed explanations to none other than her mother.

Iridessa saw from the glass window to her shop the dragon first. She lowered her view to see just her daughters feet on the other side, her entire body obscured by the beast. She scoffed to herself wiping her hands on her apron and walking to the door. She cracked it, took a deep breath to calm herself and then peered at the dragon from her door. "Please come around back, this town is full of nosy gossipers and our talk needs no ears other than our own." She didn't give a chance for them to answer her and shut the door scurrying off towards the back of the shop. When Fire Starter and Zairee joined her, Iridessa looked calm. Too calm to be comfortable Zairee thought. Her face was pale and stone like all emotion void. This worried Zairee. "Hello daughter." "Mother... good morning. I'm sorry I wasn't there to help." "Of course." She spoke coolly and this hurt Zairee. Her pointed ears drooped at the emotion and she looked at Fire Starter with no words for either of them.

"You have a lot of nerve dragon." Her mother started. Zairee's eyes widened suddenly at the harshness at which she spoke to him. "For centuries it has been forbidden for a female to ride and now you decide on none other than Zairee. She is just a child." Zairee felt anger stir in her chest. "I am not just a child mother." "What have you done? You have worked here and experienced nothing else." "Because you have forbade it mother. You have kept me under lock and key and I thank you for caring, but I have dreams of my own." Iridessa took three quick steps towards her daughter wanting to shake her. "Do you think I wanted to run the shop Zairee? You think this is what I had planned for us, for me? Your father left us so recently and now you're taking off on your own because you want to, where did I go wrong? Where did I fail you?" Zairee blinked back the tears. "Mother this isn't about you, that's how you always see things. This is about me, this time it's about me, it's about dragons, it's about a bond that was forged because it had always existed. Before you could ever refuse, the bond was there." She bit her lip wanting to keep herself from continuing. Iridessa shook her head. "I hope you're happy." is all she said and stared at the dragon waiting for his say in the situation at hand.

Fire Starter had walked along, noting a tension in the air and he was suddenly glad his bonded would be staying with him. As they reached the door to the shop, Iridessa told them that she wanted them to go along back. The dragon complied, sitting in the back and watching the exchange with interest. He tensed when the arguing seemed to reach a peak and listened to every word. He was proud of his bonded for defending herself and her decision.

Fire Starter stared at Iridessa, opening his mouth to have his jaw crack so he could speak in the human tongue. "Should you not be happy as well? The fear of something happening may remain, but will you let it spoil your relationship with your daughter? There are times when dragons such as myself are bonded at birth...be glad that this region does not do a hatchling bonding. Then, your daughter certainly would have no time to visit you."

Iridessa exchanged a sharp glance between the dragon and her daughter who stood unlike her young child anymore. She was a young woman. She squared her shoulers to make herself feel stronger and shook her head. "I have nothing left to say to either of you. What's done is done. Just don't bring her back in pieces." With that she turned and retreated into her shop closing the door behind her. Zairee felt the blow to her chest and closed her eyes for a few seconds to keep the tears from falling. When she opened them again Fire Starter had curled his tail around her and was looking at her.

It's okay, I'll be okay.

She smiled saying it to him in a way that he wouldn't have to keep talking in human tongue. She saw a basket sitting on the edge of stairs and knew what it was. No matter how angry her mother was now, or how hurtful her words had been, she had brought her a basket for breakfast. She opened it and found some sweet corn meal and a variety of fruit. She smiled to herself knowing that in time, they would be okay again. She sat on the back steps and ate her breakfast quietly and quickly. She left the basket like she had found it and plucked a daffodil from her mother's bed of flowers and placed it atop the basket as a peace offering to her mother and a thanks. She threw the last bit of grapes into her mouth and then wiped her hands on her pants.
Now what's next?

Fire Starter grew worried, seeing her close her eyes. He curled his tail around her and looked at her closely. He watched as she retrieved the basket with a happy smile to herself. She opened it and found fruit and corn meal and he lowered his head to sniff at the food. Fire Starter curled his legs beneath him as she sat to eat and simply watched her, stretching out his wings slightly. His head was cocked to the side, fascinated with her placement of the flower atop the basket.

Next? Well...I have done my hunting for the majority of this week...I suppose we could try you getting used to being atop my back?

Zairee nodded in agreement. She had been close to him now and had felt him, but to climb atop him, she was a bit anxious. She shook her head slightly and then smiled at him. The challenge was something she took head on. She agreed and carefully walked near him.

Just tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

She said as she saw where he was low enough that she could climb ontop easily. She had experience with climbing spending most of her time in trees. She awkwardly made it on top of him before his wings atop his shoulders. His scales felt glossy to the touch the sound they made was almost melodic. She shrugged waiting for his feedback wondering if there was a better way to mount.