Fate/Shattered Gospel (OOC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have so many ideas for a bunch of classes, including a few for rider, but I have a feeling there are going to be quite a few Japanese Servants so I'm going with a non-Japanese one.

I have so many ideas for a bunch of classes, including a few for rider, but I have a feeling there are going to be quite a few Japanese Servants so I'm going with a non-Japanese one.

Yeah, I felt the same way. That's why I went for Sun Wukong

Yeah, I felt the same way. That's why I went for Sun Wukong
Well I more so meant Asian Servants in general. Sun Wukong is a very common choice for Lancers, but it's interesting when he's done right.

Well I more so meant Asian Servants in general. Sun Wukong is a very common choice for Lancers, but it's interesting when he's done right.

I see what you mean. I was about to do the Black Prince as a Lancer or Rider. It's too hard for me to dismiss all the badass Asian mythology characters, though.

I see what you mean. I was about to do the Black Prince as a Lancer or Rider. It's too hard for me to dismiss all the badass Asian mythology characters, though.
Yeah that's fair enough. There are plenty of great Asian heroes who could be Servants. Personally I'm tossing around the idea of using Bellerophon as a Rider, but because of being the common Greece hero I may use Sinbad instead.

All these Servants and not a single person reserving a Master.

The fate of all Fate RPs, I suppose.

Coincidentally, would like to switch from Caster slot to one of the Masters. Outlined a few Caster ideas but none really resonated in the end.

Cardinal Richelieu was particularly egregious.

I think being a Servant will always be more badass than a Master. Most people, I think, identify Servants with the genre, rather than masters. Also, it's fun being a big fish in a small pond. Tons of power

Hey ERode, how's it going?

And yeh, Servants have more wow factor, but Masters can be a lot of fun too. But hey, we're up to three now, so moving right along.

Coincidentally, would like to switch from Caster slot to one of the Masters. Outlined a few Caster ideas but none really resonated in the end.

Cardinal Richelieu was particularly egregious.

Gotcha. You're welcome to run both if you'd like, though.

Reactions: Aero Blue
Honestly, with Shirous and Bazettes and Kuzukis and Ilyas running around, there's definitely a fine collection of Masters that are also badass...but it's harder for them to be, compared to Servants.

Welp, gonna be making a trash Master regardless, so we'll see how it goes. Considering how a Master's prana determines the strength of a Servant, are those stats in the CS just a baseline, Drowsy?

Reactions: cojemo
Honestly, with Shirous and Bazettes and Kuzukis and Ilyas running around, there's definitely a fine collection of Masters that are also badass...but it's harder for them to be, compared to Servants.

Welp, gonna be making a trash Master regardless, so we'll see how it goes. Considering how a Master's prana determines the strength of a Servant, are those stats in the CS just a baseline, Drowsy?

Usually I like making Masters, and for the most part Masters who suck as I don't like making cool or badass characters, but because this is after coming back from a break from RPing for me I want to try something different and do a Servant instead.

@DrowsyPangolin

Appreciate the option! I'll pass on also doing Caster though.

I agree, the level of awesome Masters can achieve seem to be much higher than a normal servant. The other issue is is that being a master requires much more information on the setting than a normal person is probably use to. Since most people in the West's exposure to the genre has been Fate/Zero, most people don't know the whole setting. Playing a Servant is much easier. Being a good Master would be very rewarding for a player, and I would definitely play one if I knew enough about the setting. Just seems like you have to be that much more engrained and knowledgeable in it.

Usually I like making Masters, and for the most part Masters who suck as I don't like making cool or badass characters, but because this is after coming back from a break from RPing for me I want to try something different and do a Servant instead.

I feel you there. I've been RPing since 6th grade, and I outgrew the OP and cliche RP characters a while ago. Although, there's something to be said about playing a powerful, or otherwise cool, character in a different light. At this point in my roleplaying career, I'm more interested in contributing to the overall story than I am making sure my own character has a spotlight or does extremely well. I'd have no problem if Sun Wukong was the first servant to die, if it added to the story. Roleplaying is an interactive story telling experience, and should be treated as such. Not everyone is going to be Badassie McBadassface and wreck everything. If this advances like a "normal" Grail War, there can only be one TRUE winner.

Reactions: cojemo

Basically the stats are what would be considered 'standard' for a given Servant. The Master's quality as a mage can certainly hamper or help the Servant, but (and I realize I'm playing a little fast and loose with the rules, but it's an abnormal Grail War as is) we'll probably downplay the importance somewhat. Like, a very weak Master with a very strong Servant will still probably be strained, and the Servant will be somewhat limited, but not as much as they 'should' as far as canon rules go. It's more of a quality-of-life thing than anything I guess, as having to crunch numbers for stats might get a bit egregious.

@DrowsyPangolin

Appreciate the option! I'll pass on also doing Caster though.

Alrighty. Updated the character list.

I agree, the level of awesome Masters can achieve seem to be much higher than a normal servant. The other issue is is that being a master requires much more information on the setting than a normal person is probably use to. Since most people in the West's exposure to the genre has been Fate/Zero, most people don't know the whole setting. Playing a Servant is much easier. Being a good Master would be very rewarding for a player, and I would definitely play one if I knew enough about the setting. Just seems like you have to be that much more engrained and knowledgeable in it.

I feel you there. I've been RPing since 6th grade, and I outgrew the OP and cliche RP characters a while ago. Although, there's something to be said about playing a powerful, or otherwise cool, character in a different light. At this point in my roleplaying career, I'm more interested in contributing to the overall story than I am making sure my own character has a spotlight or does extremely well. I'd have no problem if Sun Wukong was the first servant to die, if it added to the story. Roleplaying is an interactive story telling experience, and should be treated as such. Not everyone is going to be Badassie McBadassface and wreck everything. If this advances like a "normal" Grail War, there can only be one TRUE winner.
I agree 100%. I'm all about the characters and interactions, and for me the battling stuff may as well be my least focused part of RPing. I have a good knowledge of Fate so playing a Master is something I can handle, but it's also fun changing some parts of history as a Servant. There are so many people in Fate RP's who seem intent on making the coolest and strongest Servant, but I personally love making characters that are way more flawed. Heck, my idea for Sinbad is that he's a loudmouth braggart who, through embellishment, gained the level of fame he has. After all the actual tale has him escaping death through pure luck, so that's how I'll have him be.

Reactions: Sightles
I agree 100%. I'm all about the characters and interactions, and for me the battling stuff may as well be my least focused part of RPing. I have a good knowledge of Fate so playing a Master is something I can handle, but it's also fun changing some parts of history as a Servant. There are so many people in Fate RP's who seem intent on making the coolest and strongest Servant, but I personally love making characters that are way more flawed. Heck, my idea for Sinbad is that he's a loudmouth braggart who, through embellishment, gained the level of fame he has. After all the actual tale has him escaping death through pure luck, so that's how I'll have him be.

Flaws is what make a character great. Anyone can be a Mary Sue, and anyone can make a fictional character seem to be a complete hardass. I'm glad you're here. Haha.

I run a lot of DnD games, been a career DM for about 5 years now, so it helps me appreciate a GM's story.

I like your idea of Sinbad. Honestly, I know little of Sinbad's actual lore, but it sounds like the way you'll run it will be fun. Having characters having depth, which normally means adding flaws and other character ideals, means it'll be fun for everyone to read. I'm really excited to see your CS.

P.S : Career DM in the sense that I don't play as a player much. Normally spend 95% of my time playing DnD as the DM

Wait...

@DrowsyPangolin Is Alignment for Masters their elemental affinity? Or their spectrum on the good/evil scale?

Wait...

@DrowsyPangolin Is Alignment for Masters their elemental affinity? Or their spectrum on the good/evil scale?

It's the good/evil scale. I, uh, may have forgotten to put in the affinity section. I'll go add it to the format.

I may consider putting in a Master as well, we'll see. Even if we did get enough players to fill up both the Servant and Master slots, wouldn't want it to get too crowded and such

So, Caster and Berserker are left, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.