Fandomstuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I Can't Decide" would imply that the Master's involved (since he famously danced and sang along to it in that one episode), and if he already vaguely understands from Sherlock that Moriarty is dangerous... yeah.

Also there's a running joke in the Doctor Who fandom that the show is so scary sometimes, that kids will watch from behind the couch. ...Although that running joke got started in the Classic era and isn't as widely-used anymore so I seriously showed off my nerdiness in referencing it, but yeah.
Oh yea. :/
I'm bad at remembering stuff like songs... XD

Though in regards to hiding behind the couch, Daleks can be pretty intimidating! XD

Oh yea. :/
I'm bad at remembering stuff like songs... XD

It probably helps that I was already familiar with that song before I saw that episode, thus making that scene funnier and easier to remember. XD

Though in regards to hiding behind the couch, Daleks can be pretty intimidating! XD

Yeah really!

Like... non-fans always say that Doctor Who is a "kid's show", but I never really understood why considering how many villains and monsters are creepy even by adult standards.

I mean, for example, we have Daleks, and Cybermen - the concept of which is kind of horrifying when you think about it - and then, even in the Classic series, when most of the aliens were made out of rubber or tin foil, the show still had darker moments. (The Doctor once helped someone commit suicide. Granted it was offscreen and I suppose kind of subtle so I can see a kid not really understanding what happened, but... still. That's canon. And when I saw it, my jaw hung open for like five straight minutes because holy shit that's dark for a supposed "kids' show".)

And then in the new series... my god. Weeping Angels, Silence, the 2014 Christmas special... I don't understand how kids wouldn't be terrified. o.o Plus you have the Master, who, while he was in the Classic series, seems to reach a whole new level of insanity every time he regenerates, so... yeah. He's way scarier now than he was then.

tl;dr - Doctor Who is not a kids' show and people need to stop calling it one. o.o I mean most episodes are still fine for most kids but it's certainly not written with kids first in mind.

[/rant]

It probably helps that I was already familiar with that song before I saw that episode, thus making that scene funnier and easier to remember. XD

Yeah really!

Like... non-fans always say that Doctor Who is a "kid's show", but I never really understood why considering how many villains and monsters are creepy even by adult standards.

I mean, for example, we have Daleks, and Cybermen - the concept of which is kind of horrifying when you think about it - and then, even in the Classic series, when most of the aliens were made out of rubber or tin foil, the show still had darker moments. (The Doctor once helped someone commit suicide. Granted it was offscreen and I suppose kind of subtle so I can see a kid not really understanding what happened, but... still. That's canon. And when I saw it, my jaw hung open for like five straight minutes because holy shit that's dark for a supposed "kids' show".)

And then in the new series... my god. Weeping Angels, Silence, the 2014 Christmas special... I don't understand how kids wouldn't be terrified. o.o Plus you have the Master, who, while he was in the Classic series, seems to reach a whole new level of insanity every time he regenerates, so... yeah. He's way scarier now than he was then.

tl;dr - Doctor Who is not a kids' show and people need to stop calling it one. o.o I mean most episodes are still fine for most kids but it's certainly not written with kids first in mind.

[/rant]
I'd let a child watch Doctor Who. :P
Though, do keep in mind I'd also let a child watch Game of Thrones.
Largely because I find the idea of censoring what children see only leaves them less prepared for grown up life.

That aside however, I do agree they do have a number of episodes that rating boards and most parents wouldn't consider child friendly.

For example:

Yeah really!

I think it's more of a 'family' show (though a pretty loose definition) in that it's something the whole family can get into. Like how Harry Potter was for all intents and purposes a children's book, but covered darker themes and gained popularity among everyone. Kids can watch Doctor Who, sure, there's no horribly graphic stuff going on and a lot of the characters are fun, but I'd definitely never categorize Doctor Who as a straight up kids series.

I'd let a child watch Doctor Who. :P
Though, do keep in mind I'd also let a child watch Game of Thrones.
Largely because I find the idea of censoring what children see only leaves them less prepared for grown up life.

That aside however, I do agree they do have a number of episodes that rating boards and most parents wouldn't consider child friendly.

For example:

Well yeah, I'm not saying that kids shouldn't watch Doctor Who. The show doesn't cover anything too bad on a regular basis and I'm not a fan of over-censoring what kids watch anyway. So long as a kid doesn't feel like the show is too scary for them then by all means, let them watch. I'm just saying that, given everything that does happen, it certainly isn't directed at kids, so it bugs me when people label it as such.

Because, you know, most actual kids' shows do try to over-censor what kids can see.

I think it's more of a 'family' show (though a pretty loose definition) in that it's something the whole family can get into. Like how Harry Potter was for all intents and purposes a children's book, but covered darker themes and gained popularity among everyone. Kids can watch Doctor Who, sure, there's no horribly graphic stuff going on and a lot of the characters are fun, but I'd definitely never categorize Doctor Who as a straight up kids series.

The thing that bugs me about the term "family show" is that it seems to just be synonymous with "kids' show" these days. The concept of shows that are truly for the whole family to enjoy seems to be somewhat of a lost art. In most cases, things are either "for kids" or "for adults", which is why I usually just tend to avoid the subject when talking about Doctor Who to non-fans, because neither the terms "kids' show" or "adult show" are accurate, and "family show" implies "kids' show" unless I spend a whole paragraph explaining what exactly I'm trying to say. *sighs*

Apparently Iwaku decided to give up on telling me when people posted in this...*sigh*

Apparently Iwaku decided to give up on telling me when people posted in this...*sigh*
When you subscribe via email notification, you get one email telling you that people posted, and then, you won't receive more until you actually visit the thread. It's how they keep themselves from spamming your inbox.

But yeah you can't just read the one message and then delete it because then you'll be left behind.

...The oldGuild used to do the same thing. Like, the VB3 version, so, yeah.

• Thank You
Reactions: Minibit
Well yeah, I'm not saying that kids shouldn't watch Doctor Who. The show doesn't cover anything too bad on a regular basis and I'm not a fan of over-censoring what kids watch anyway. So long as a kid doesn't feel like the show is too scary for them then by all means, let them watch. I'm just saying that, given everything that does happen, it certainly isn't directed at kids, so it bugs me when people label it as such.

Because, you know, most actual kids' shows do try to over-censor what kids can see.

The thing that bugs me about the term "family show" is that it seems to just be synonymous with "kids' show" these days. The concept of shows that are truly for the whole family to enjoy seems to be somewhat of a lost art. In most cases, things are either "for kids" or "for adults", which is why I usually just tend to avoid the subject when talking about Doctor Who to non-fans, because neither the terms "kids' show" or "adult show" are accurate, and "family show" implies "kids' show" unless I spend a whole paragraph explaining what exactly I'm trying to say. *sighs*
I'm not a fan of the whole rating and age appropriateness thing either.
Let kids watch what they want, and allow them to not watch something they don't want to watch.

There are people who just don't do well with scary or dark content. And that's completely fine with me, as long they don't turn around and then try to force the same levels of uncomfortableness onto others.
So yea, when it comes to describing a show I'll normally avoid titles like "For Kids, For adults or Family friendly" as well. I just describe the show itself.
I've been getting this issue as well with my alerts.
Thankfully, I hound the topics enough that I tend to catch most of them anyways.

Meh it's okay, I was just wondering why it was so silent and then I realized there were 40+ Posts I missed...

I actually have no idea what my "Fandom" Should look like....hmm

There's no age rating for Doctor who....Just kinda.....interests rather the age.

Meh it's okay, I was just wondering why it was so silent and then I realized there were 40+ Posts I missed...

Lol yeah we're anything but quiet over here. XD If things get quiet, you should probably be a little bit suspicious and check to see what's going on.

I actually have no idea what my "Fandom" Should look like....hmm

This came up on Google Images when I searched "Dragon Age fandomstuck" (I'm assuming the one on the left is supposed to be Dragon Age). It's a good place to start, at least, though of course you don't have to use that design if you don't want to.

ALSO I found an amusing example of what the Fandoms typically look like when they're just being fans:

tumblr_myri7ghKif1s4uaj8o1_1280.png

• Love
Reactions: Indabayou
That's kinda what I was trying to get at, yeah. Aside from really really graphic stuff, as long as you focus on making a good product, it shouldn't need to be shoehorned into kid/family/adult categories. Most of the best stuff out there is able to appeal to everyone regardless of age.
ALSO I found an amusing example of what the Fandoms typically look like when they're just being fans:
Perfect description, yes.

Essentially.

I'd add myself into the conversation in regards to age rating and over censorship, but all my opinions have been articulated so much more coherently than I could at at the moment. So yes, I agree with the above. Let us show anyone what they want to see as long as they can handle it.

Since we all have so much to say, do you think we should make a chatroom and not spam the OOC?

Essentially.

I'd add myself into the conversation in regards to age rating and over censorship, but all my opinions have been articulated so much more coherently than I could at at the moment. So yes, I agree with the above. Let us show anyone what they want to see as long as they can handle it.

Since we all have so much to say, do you think we should make a chatroom and not spam the OOC?
That would probably be a good idea, I think with so many responses on this thread people probably think we've got a bunch of takers when really we only have about 5 members signed on to rp so far

Essentially.

I don't see the need.

The way I see it, OOC discussion is always healthy for an RP. It keeps the members active and interested (even if they're not talking about the RP all the time - you at least know that they're not getting bored and leaving), you're more likely to have ideas tossed around to keep people inspired for the RP, and it keeps bumping the thread so that more people can see it.

I like how active this place is. It's been, like, forever since I've been in an OOC this active and chatty. And generally, the active and chatty OOC's that I've been to in the past were homes to RP's that literally lasted several years. It's a method that works.

That would probably be a good idea, I think with so many responses on this thread people probably think we've got a bunch of takers when really we only have about 5 members signed on to rp so far
If people are just going to assume that we have a bunch of takers, then I'd rather filter out all the tl;dr'ers and just stick with the people that actually read.

Plus I'll probably make us a text-only banner (still haven't gotten around to getting Photoshop yet...) once the OOC goes up which should attract more people regardless of how many people we already have. I've seen RP's with banners get pages upon pages of CS's even when, upon closer inspection, the GM has already seemingly jumped ship.

And, worst case scenario, I can just invite more friends.

So yeah: I'm not worried.

If people are just going to assume that we have a bunch of takers, then I'd rather filter out all the tl;dr'ers and just stick with the people that actually read.

Plus I'll probably make us a text-only banner (still haven't gotten around to getting Photoshop yet...) once the OOC goes up which should attract more people regardless of how many people we already have. I've seen RP's with banners get pages upon pages of CS's even when, upon closer inspection, the GM has already seemingly jumped ship.

And, worst case scenario, I can just invite more friends.

So yeah: I'm not worried.

Ah, that's a good strategy then. I'm not too experienced with RPing and how stuff like that can affect things. You seem to know what you're doing though so I trust your judgement.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
Ah, that's a good strategy then. I'm not too experienced with RPing and how stuff like that can affect things. You seem to know what you're doing though so I trust your judgement.

Nice to know the GM knows what they're doing.

sun.gif
Thank you both. I appreciate it.

Reactions: Indabayou
Status
Not open for further replies.