Fairy Tail: Lost Chapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ila was pulled up to Kanda's side, landing almost on her face had she not caught herself. "Kanda!" She called out, watching Kanda hit the ground and only had enough time to reach a hand to her blades hilt and pull it out before the two magic swordsmen came at her, knocking her back with a combined assault which she narrowly blocked.

The leader landed at Kanda's side with a wild grin. "How does it feel to be the one at the mercy of your enemy, Flame Wielder?" He sneered, and in no time at all a bubble of muddy water seeped up around Kanda to trap him in a bubble of muddy water. "I want to watch the life be drained out of you!"

Kanda was angry, absolutely angry. To be caught unawares! He silently blamed Ila for his predicament. He stared up at the leader, gathering his magic to send out flames, only to be trapped in a bubble of muddy water. He struggled, calling upon his magic to evaporate the bubble, hoping that it would be enough.

Ila hissed, skidding back across the ground while barely keeping her footing until she finally stopped in a cloud of dust. She could feel it, binding magic on the air, but they weren't attacking her this time. They were focusing on Kanda.. He was their target.

"No!" She growled, stepping forward, but her sword met with the edge of another, a wild grin playing across the bandits face as he held her fast. Ila's eyes narrowed. "Out of my way!"

"No can do blondie!" the man said, forcing Ila back so the next bandit could come in to attack with his spear. Keeping Ila busy so she couldn't come to Kanda's aid.

The bandit leader smirked, "Nah-ah-ah... We know what happens when mud is dried out..." And the muddy water began to lose moisture, but at the same time began to thicken and harden like granite. "This will be your grave flame wielder!" and he let out a wild cackle.

It was at that point Ila was beginning to get concerned. If she'd been more careful.. if she hadn't been so careless. With each strike she had to block, she felt guilt and grief washing over her. Every moment wasted on these small fry as another second Kanda was without air. Something snapped, and the edge of Ila's weapon shifted. Growing thinner along the edge, but twice as long now extending far beyond a normal sword. Ila's eyes took on an Azure glow and the bandits had no time to react. There was a bright flash and a great swing of her blade. Overboard? Maybe... but she wasn't going to have that on her conscience...

The bandit leader looked up to see nothing but the flying bodies of his comrades shooting pass him, stealing his attention from Kanda's prison. "The hell?!"

Kanda stopped producing heat, but his body still gave off a little heat, the normal level. The mud was beginning to turn into a hard substance, making it hard to breath.

Now, he had to depend on Ila...

He hadn't depended on anyone but Lyra since Eliza's death. He took a small breath, only to realize there wasn't air left. There was only one more thing to do...he focused. His entire will focused on him, the fire in his blood stilled for just a few moments, allowing the mud to rapidly cool and become brittle. But it burned, oh how it burned! The fire in his blood stilling was like swallowing fire. It was as if he was roasting on the inside. His eyes rolled back in his head, but he took a breath and found that the rapid cooling had allowed a tiny crack to show. Enough so that he had some air.

Kanda still couldn't move, could barely think. "Eliza? No...Ila...help..." He gasped, confused and dazed. For just a moment he saw Eliza's face in front of him, reaching out a hand to stroke his forehead.

In that one swift moment, the entire demeanor of Ila changed. Once free and careless was now replaced by something cold and lifeless. She didn't say a word and she didn't waste any time.

Ila heard her name and her eyes snapped to look dead into the soul of the bandit leader with such an intensity the man felt like his life had already been torn from his body. He became nervous, confidence gone. His vision blurred for all of an second and Ila was gone.

He broke into a cold sweat and his breath hitched, it was all he could do to surround himself in his magic ties, sigil exploding from under him as black robes wove a thick mesh wall around him with the swift movements of his hands. "Jaiden! Bael!" He called, but from behind his mesh wall he could see nothing, only hear the pained wails of bael and jaiden mixed in with the low hissing of his barrier shifting around him. "What happened?" He asked himself at a loss. Remembering the careless woman he'd captured so easily the day before. It made no sense!

"Fury."

The Bandit leader heard the word and eyes snapped up, and there was that flash again, shining all around him through the small spaces between the ropes. His body tensed and the last he saw was his barrier being torn in half before a wild explosion of that strange light impacted him. The light cut the man to ribbons as if carrying with it thousands of furious blade strokes. How? He wondered as what was left of his body fell forward onto the dissipating scraps of rope.

Ila didn't stay to watch, and ran over to the hardened shell Kanda was stuck inside. Her eyes refocused on the crack and she slid up beside the now egg shaped stone to look in through it. She put her hands on it and a few shavings came off. It was brittle. "You're a hard one to kill, aren't you, big guy?" She said, nervous, praying Kanda was able to respond. "Keep still and I'll get you out of there, I think you've weakened it enough for me to cut through."

"Ila?" Kanda asked breathlessly. His blood burned from keeping the fire stilled. It was growing restless but if he allowed his heat to escape he would not be able to breathe. "It burns Eliza..." he tried to reach his fingers up to the crack only to have them feel like lead weights. He was confused and only able to focus on his breathing now.

He'd managed to respond but Ila noted how Kanda was struggling. He was out of breath and running out of time..

"It's going to be ok! Just hang in there!!" She called through the crack, and pushed herself to her feet, cocking back her right hands and making it into a fist. That azure glow returned to her eyes and she focused before slamming her fist into the stone. Each blow sending a slight tremor through the ground as the substance had been designed to keep Kanda from escaping. It was tough, but she was persistent and before long cracks were beginning to form.

She sped up her assault, laying down her blade and and striking the rock with twice the ferocity she had before, afraid of subjecting Kanda to burning himself from the inside out. It didn't matter that he called her Eliza, he was a live and she planned to keep him that way.

"Stupid rock, just BREAK already!" She growled reeling back and bringing both hands together in a mighty hammer that crashed down onto the first crack made by Kanda's quick thinking. The rock split at the seams, cracking open like a giant egg before crumbling to dust from the endured punishment. Ila drew breath, "Kanda! Are you alright!?"

Kanda struggled to breathe as her assault on the stone strengthened. As he was free he took a long shuddering breath. "Step away." He warned. He waited until she was far enough away before unleashing his pent up fire. His fire exploded from him in waves and he screamed as it blast through him. Soon the flames resided and Kanda lay there with eyes half closed. "Thank you Ila"

Ila nodded at his warning and quickly moved a safe distance away just as the tempest of fire erupted from him making the air thin and hot as it washed over her and the surrounding area. It was intense..

When the rage subsided, Ila lowered her arms and rushed back to his side, taking a knee and laying her sword behind her. She looked upon him with a grimace, shaking her head and closing her eyes. "No.. don't thank me. If it wasn't for me you wouldn't have been stuck in that stupid rock. I'm so sorry Kanda..."

"We do make a good team." He smirked. "I suspect they wouldve found a way to kill me anyway." Kanda groaned and sat up. He looked at her letting a sigh go. His skin was not as warm as normal and he put a hand on his arm with a frown. "It's going to take a while for my temperature to get back to normal."

"..Yea. I guess so, huh?" Ila looked up from her grief to see his smirk and couldn't help but feel a little better. Given the temper he seemed to have had, this was a relief. That being said, she didn't get all misty eyed but a tenderness and clear thankfulness that he didn't die shown on her features as she stood up and rubbed her face. "..Well. Looks like they won't be getting another chance to try."

She picked up her blade, and with a flick of her wrist the sword was spun and seemed to melt away into it's shorter and broader form before being slipped into the sheath. "You're lucky I'm a girl who knows her boundaries or I'd take advantage of that." She warned trying to lighten the mood and smiled reaching a hand out to help him up. "Can you still walk?"

"It means I need to try and take it easy." Kanda shook his head and grabbed her hand, hoisting himself up. He smiled at her remark and picked up his pack which had slipped off when he was grabbed. He could feel her hand...a kind of cool comfort. He looked down at it and stared in shock before jerking his hand out of hers. "Sorry..."

And so the tables seemed to have turned in her favor. Ila noted his stare and looked to their hands holding one another when he was standing, a light flush filled her cheeks and she hid a smile while tucking her hair behind her right ear. She then took in a deep breath to ride herself of the blush but couldn't help the light giggle that she tried to hide behind a raised hand at his apology. It was somewhat charming, if a bit unexpected. "No worries big guy, it isn't like you hurt me.."

Then a mischievous grin played across her lips and she folded her arms. "But if you wanted to hold my hand all you needed to do was say so." and she stuck her tongue out, teasing him.

Kanda frowned at her. "I was just surprised is all..." his eyes narrowed and he cleared his throat as he prepared to walk off. "Besides the occassional comfort from Lyra...I dont touch people. They cant handle it..." his eyes took on a misty quality and he walked in the direction of the meetup for the caravan. "I almost forgot what it felt like."

And so the tables tilted out of her favor. Ila's face fell and she started after him up the road. Feeling the grains of dirt underfoot and watching the blades of grass move about in the wind. She wanted to ask what his relationship with Lyra really was.. but figured she'd tempted him far enough and that they really did need to focus on their mission.

As they left, Snow walked upon the remains of the battleground. Sniffing at the bodies of the bandits here and there and getting an overall analysis of what had happened. Her owner rested high in the tree's, watching the pair head off. "Hm. Maybe they'll be alright. Let's get out of here snow, we have our own job to take care of." And the both of them were gone into the woods.

Her stride had become more sedated when she'd noticed the misty look in the man's eyes. She wanted to comfort him, but whens he thought about doing so, the image of Lyra came to mind and she kept herself back. Who was she but a stranger who forced herself upon him out of a child-like flight of fancy, where as Kanda had his entire guild to watch his back should he only allow them. The thoughts were sobering, and her mind could settle upon the matter at hand. They needed to meet up with the Caravan. "It's alright you know. To miss the touch of others given your situation. Just... don't be afraid of me. Right?" She intoned, then sped up a little bit, "We're partners now, so we need to trust each other.. besides, the sooner we finish this job, the sooner we can get back to buy you that drink, right?"

She forced a smile back to him. "So let's find that Caravan!"

Kanda could feel her wonder as if it was a pair of daggers. He could feel her curiosity seeping through his skin. "She's my sister..." he said, looking at Ila. "She's the only family I have left."

Ila paused mid-stride, some part of her happy to hear it.. the other feeling kind of bad at the reality that she was all he had left. Not that he asked for pity, which was why she didn't give it, but she did backtrack to his side and nudged him once more. "Awww.. that's why you guys seemed to close. Big guy has himself a little sister to care for. That's pretty sweet of you." She beamed, eyes winking. "She's a nice girl, cute too. Who knows how many of those guys have eyes on her while you're not around.." she commented off the cuff, stroking her chin.

Kanda nodded, but frowned as she mentioned guys. "Oh, hell no. I laid down that law a loooonnnggg time ago. They want her, they go through me!" He shifted his pack over his shoulder, holding the trench-coat he always wore a little closer to him. He felt chilled by the lack of heat his body was producing. "Yeah, we watch out for each other. She was best friends with Eliza, I feel sorry for Lyra. She has had to babysit me and care for me since Eliza's death." He sneezed. "Oh, sorry." He scooted slightly closer to her, but his face remained impassive.

Ila cracked a smile and a slight chuckle escaped her. "I think that might be going a little too far, but I guess that guy who's brave enough to face you must really love her. I know I wouldn't bet against you."

Her pace slowed slightly since she seemed to be getting beyond Kanda's shell and she didn't think she'd get this kind of chance often. Though from what she'd been able to gather, this seemed to be a skill she only shared with Lyra and the late Eliza. This she supposed was a pretty good thing given her apparent attachment to him. "Now now, don't get yourself down. She's lucky to have a big brother like you, and I'm sure she doesn't regret a moment of it. The only thing I'll bet she hopes for..is that you are one day able to find happiness." She said it without thinking, and it was probably out of line, but she felt it in her heart that Lyra was that kind of girl. Selfless and loving if at least on the surface.

When he scooted close to her, she thought nothing of it, he wasn't used to his body heat being so low, she understood that. But it still felt...awkward given how impossible he was to read. So, she'd have to be the one to make the moves.. that was fine. And should she overstep, she supposed she'd get what one would expect form getting too close to an opened flame.

"It's fine." She said casually. "I can probably help with that if you want.. Give me your hand." she suggested, stepping around him so that her right hand could be lent out to his. "Don't worry, i don't bite."

Kanda nodded. "Exactly. Anyone brave enough to face me given my reputation would be worthy of her." He looked at her, his eyes widening just a tad. "Lyra actually said that once...I remember it, it was after I had another of my nightmares." He remembered that night especially well. It was after he had come back half-dead from a mission. He had gone out recklessly, desperately searching for any clues as to who Eliza's killer was. He shook his head, chasing away the thoughts with the motion of it.

He watched as Ila moved around him. "You might not be able to do anything, it normally takes a few hours until my heat comes back." He held out his hand, anyway, looking away with a slight blush to his cheeks. His sister had always said he was stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.