FABLE: The New Heroes

Jace took his time meandering toward the living quarters of the castle; he had been to the castle the day before and left them there, going back to town for the rest of the day and night to take care of somethings before returning with that idiot Axel. In the trunk he kept at the foot of the bed were his prized twin axes. He loved those weapons with a passion -- his mother left them to him, saying that they belonged to his father. It didn't matter who they belonged to. The fact that they were the last things his mother handed to him before she disappeared mattered enough.

The gray eyed young man ascended two flights of stairs and made a left. His room was pretty much bare, not having many of his personal things around. Living like he had for most of his life, he was taught never to get comfortable in one place. This was where he was going to be for an indefinite amount of time; however he'd end up living by that rule anyway.

Opening the door to the sparsely decorated room, he closed and locked it behind him, making his way to the large window and sitting in it. The room actually overlooked the range. Idly, he let his eyes travel until it settled on Axel. The other was a puzzle. For a socially inept fool, he was rather good with aiming and non too shabby with hand to hand. His reason for becoming a hero were still unknown, not that it really mattered.

Jace watched as the shooter aim and let of a particularly loud shot. It didn't sound like the Gatling nor the cannon. This was a different weapon.

The light smoke left behind by a destroyed dummy drew his attention to it, and then another three. One shot completely destroyed four of them. What kind of bullets was he even using? And the guns themselves. They seemed regular but something about the way Axel handled them was odd. He held them as if they were extensions of himself -- as if they were his entire arm.

But that was preposterous.

Jace shook his head and moved away from the window, moving to the foot of the bed and opening the trunk which sat there. Rummaging beneath the clothes, gloves and boots, he pulled out his axes. The weight was comfortable in his hands. The twenty year old swung them around, twirling one around his fingers and sliced the air in a well-practiced motion. Like Axel, which was probably the only similarity they had, he was taught to fight by his mother. Predominantly, in any case. His father had taught him a thing or two. But he guessed he hadn't really held true to the form because while it excelled on the streets, it failed in the guild.

And another thing: Gauss did look a lot like him-- or he looked a lot like Gauss for that matter. They did say that it was rare for one to meet his or her doppelganger in life. He'd possibly be one of the luckier ones.

Finishing the exercise with his axes, he laid them at the bottom of the trunk, piled his belongings on top, and closed it. It was well into the afternoon, almost evening.

Another shot rang out into the air, but he ignored it, idly wondering if there was a library somewhere in the castle that he could peruse. It couldn't do to sit around doing nothing. And knowing his form was off, practicing was out; what was the point in doing something wrong repeatedly?

With that in mind, Jace left his room and ventured out into the hall. Looking down the hall at the sound of a distressed voice, he raised a brow. Another guy seemed to be reprimanding someone much taller than he. It nearly seemed to him that the taller of the two looked like a kicked puppy. The scene made him snort out a bit of laughter. It reminded him so much of his mother when she would scold a man three times her size -- the man usually left with his tail between his legs.

Jace let out a low chuckle and shook his head before turning to leave. He really missed that woman.

magerobe.jpg
As Elle saw Uunia leave she hurriedly jogged to her friend's house where her bag of clothes and other supplies was. She passed the front gates of the guild and turned left, ahead was the little rock made house where her friend lived. At this time her friend was working but luckily she had given Elle a cople of the key. She opened the door and walked upstairs to a room full of boxes, there at the corner was her bag. Elle rummage through it and saw her belongings; her attire, some potions, a ring and a necklace, and food. In a few minutes she was set and done. The dagged that Mr.Raid gave her was at her waist in a belt. Not wanting to waste more time, Elle grabbed the bag and exited the house. Instead of running, she decided to walk towards the smith where she would meet with Uunia and start the mission. Once there, she sighed in relief at no being late and sat down on a tree log that has been cut a few years ago. "This should be interesting" she whispered to herself as she looked at the clear sky.

((Sorry for the late reply, I've been a little busy)

Blair smiled at him. "Thank you, kind sir. Reaver wouldn't have hesitated, I would know," she said, laughing gently. "I shall thank your mother someday for raising such a kind young man."

After saying that, Blair smirked a little. In one swift movement, she stepped forward a little and swung the sword in a wide-arch, aiming straight for Desmond

~~~

Raven nodded. "Very well, I'll go after the decapitated dummy," she joked. She raised her gun and aimed at the one Brody had indicated. She let off several bullets. A few went astray and hit other objects while only four or five actually hit the dummy, twice in the head and the rest in the chest. "Ouch, that didn't go too well," she admitted.

"No need for such remarks Evelyn, I've more than paid my dues to you tenfold, especially with that one bandit that came in here a few months ago. A bit of a spotty time for you I'm sure." he said as he set the bottle, along with a few other bottles, on the top of the counter. He then looked to the silver augments and knew that Ella would need them, especially if this was her first time dealing with those mongrels. He picked up two of them and set them on the counter, looking to whatever else he may need, "Well, I suppose while I'm here, I'll need a spare sword again...the last time I didn't bring one, I had to rely solely on magic, and that was VERY taxing." he said as he picked up a steel straight sword with one augment slot and set it on the counter. After a bit of thought, he figured he had everything, seeing that Ella had returned to the meeting spot as he saw her walk up from the store window. He then turned to Evelyn with a smile, a bit forced but seeming genuine, "Anything else you would suggest? Perhaps a kiss for good luck?" he said teasingly as he slyly winked at her, he thinking it best to at least be civil sense he was trying to deal with a more important matter than swiping her of an item or two once again.

Elle stood up thinking it was a nice idea to practice with her dagger while Uunia got back. She placed her bag gently on the cut tree trunk and slide the dagger out of the belt, gripping it on her left hand carefully but with the proper strength. "Lets see how this works" she said while grinning. It felt like part of her arm already which she enjoyed. With one swift motion she trusted the dagger forward and then spin around, her left leg going around and behind her right. Elle dropped her head and sighed not knowing if what she did was right or wrong. It was probably dead wrong but still, if she did that fast enough maybe she could take down a close range enemy. Standing straight again, Elle raised the dagger and saw the sapphire patterns."Beautiful"she said to no one in particular. I might ask Mr.Raid if I could keep it after me and Uunia are done with the mission she thought.

Marcus had a bewildered look on his face for a brief moment, but then he grinned, realizing that his friend had just been messing with him. He gave a hearty laugh, relaxing just a bit. "I'm sorry, Vince, I wasn't sure if you would've let me go in the first place," he replied, "But uh, aren't we still supposed to be training right now? Not that I'd be against downing a mug of gutter beer right now, but…" he glanced cautiously down towards both ends of the hallway, just barely catching sight of Jace as he was taking his leave, his gaze lingering for a short duration before turning back to Vince. "...The other trainers might not approve."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Evelyn couldn't help but cringe just slightly, shaking her head in response to Uunia's proposition, while maintaining her own increasingly forced looking smile. "Oh, um… I'm sure with your skill you won't be needing any luck on your side, hm?" she gave a half-hearted chuckle, glancing down at the selection of items that the hero had put forth, mentally calculating the total price. She looked back up to Uunia, nodding. "Okay, that'll be… six hundred gold pieces." She said promptly. Hopefully that's not too rich for your blood…

"The trainers are all preoccupied with a bunch of new recruits that showed up today. It's more of a social gathering down there, anyhow. We'll be fine, have I ever steered you wrong before?" Vince chattered on, patting Marcus' back while shoving him towards the stairs. In retrospect, a trainer convincing one of his students to go down a bunch of alcohol in the middle of the day might not be very responsible. But this was the Heroes Guild. They saved people for a living, they should be able to go hang out on a lazy day like this. "If you want, we could practice your Drunken Fist." He continued, not waiting for Marcus to reply.

----------------------------

Brody chuckled lightly. "You hit more targets than I did!" He walked up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "That wasn't bad at all. Where'd you learn your technique? And may I check out your firearm?" He inquired of his new guildmate, giving her pistol a curious glance.

Desmond smiled back and nodded, "I'm sure she'd like that", he said, thinking for a moment.. To be honest, if for whatever reason Blair really DID meet his mother, she'd actually be the first. Most of the women Desmond became romantically involved with.. Well, lets be honest here.. Most of the women that he got to follow him to bed usually weren't that interested in much more than just that. Which was good for him. Even aside from the guests at his parties, Desmond's running relationships weren't all that serious. Just people to have a good time with - Flirt, share flesh, hang around for a while. There was a possibility that things would be different here. He'd be seeing these girls a lot more than the ones from before.

"I would know." Those words hadn't caught his attention right off, but after a moment he became curious. "Oh, you've-", he paused when she swung at him, taking a single quick step back and swinging his arm to raise his training sword to try and block her first attack, surprised with himself yet again at how quickly he moved, "Met my father?"

Axel sighed as he changed attachments once more. This time he decided to use a crossbow. It had been a long while since he'd used one, and would have preferred using a moving target rather than stationary ones like the dummies.

Quickly taking aim, he fired a shot. One mile, forty-eight feet to the right: position of the heart.

While it was great to have a wide open area where he could just offload some steam and keep his eyes sharp, he needed to figure everyone else out by the week's end. Just how he was going to hide a nerve-responsive mechanical arm was a mystery even to him. But he was lucky so far. Gauss didn't seem to notice and Jace didn't care. The others, however, he wasn't too sure about. He couldn't exactly avoid them; he was much too socially addictive for that.

He really hoped Lucas came up with that false skin for hands. It would be useful to have right then.

Axel aimed and fired again at the same dummy, not really focused.

At least until he saw a flock of birds overhead. It was inhumane, but he grinned anyway.

Aiming higher, he targeted the one furthest at the back: one thousand feet, sixty degrees.

Fire.

A loud squawk and the bird tumbling from the sky was his reward. There were as good as fifty birds in that flock, and the crossbow took an average of five seconds to reload.

Now there was a challenge.

Blair's sword caught against Desmond's and she smiled. "Good block," she commented.

She laughed gently, taking a few steps back. "'Met' is hardly the word," Blair said. "To be completely honest with you, I crashed one of his parties." Her cheeks reddened for a moment as she remembered the time. She would never admit to it out-loud, but Reaver was quite charismatic... and attractive.

Blair pointed her sword out. "Let me see you attack now," she suggested, readying herself.

~~~~

Raven blushed at the praise. "It was sort of... Self-taught I suppose. Honestly, I never really put much thought into it, I just shoot." She laughed a little, "It's a wonder I've made it this far."

She handed him the pistol, carefully pulling her finger away from the trigger.

"600 eh? Not too bad I guess..." he said as he pulled out the needed coins to pay, he looking back to her with a grin after cointing a few out, "Heh, maybe next though, I'd buy a little trickier lock next time, I need all the practice I can get. He taunted as he took the items needed." The way he said the words, he really meant to sound like it he was trying to god her on, but only meant it in jest, knowing full whell what would happen if he got stealing from the guild again. The last thing he needed was more work near that smelting furnace for something as trivial as a book. He took up the bag before she could return with any sort of retort, and made his way to the door way, he looking for Ella the moment he exited the store, knowing they needed to get ready to leave so as they would reach the town before knight fall. And with it turning a new moon tonight, he knew it would be just the kind of challenge he wanted, for him and the new young trainee. He walked towards her as she held out the dagger. He drawing his sword, the blade glistening with the sunlight as the rest of the darkened metal shown a bit bright. He pulled out the two augments he had purchest and touched the augment to the sapphire in her dagger, it immediately started to glisten from the magic within the small metallic stone. He chuckled, as he looked to her, "Seems as though you can add a little more umph to this little thing." he said as eh carefully took the dagger from her, "Just watch..." he said as he made his cracks in his body from the mana lines to light up, the palms of his hands erupting into flames. As he held them together, he increased the intsity more and more till the heat of it caused the gathering to meld with with one another. He worked his hands carefully so that the stone then set into the crystal's core, he then handing it back to her, "There, now you can do a little more damage to the big bad wolves." he said as he looked to the silver and azure gleam that seemed to emit from it. "Just do be careful not to get that thing stuck into a body. It's rather tough fighting at close range without a weapon."He said as he walked ahead of her, awaiting her to follow, "Now lets get going, I don't feel like missing my date with a feral." His golden eyes looking to the guild doors to the exit plaza, he ready to spill a little more blood with each step.

Kayla who had been walking quietly up the stairs behind Vince heard the last of the conversation between the two, slacking off to drink and get wasted while it was still plenty of daylight hours to train. In a way Kayla behaved more serious and grown up than Vince, her stubborness allowing little slack when it came to improve, especially as the people of Albion would depend on them to protect them. Narrowing her grey eyes Kayla went up the last steps and came into view of the two young men. "I wonder why I'm not surprised," she said to Vince ith an exasparated sigh, hands on hips. "Do you really think drinking beer is a better use of your time than training your skills as a hero?" She said, ´though the idea was tempting. Kayla was still tired after her Will training and taking it easy seemed like a good plan, but in her stubbornness she wasn't going to admit that out loud or to herself. Though back in Oakfield Vince had been the cause whenever she had avoided work she was supposed to do, he could be very convincing and his carfree attitude hard to brush off.

Despite being the boulder of a man he was, Marcus was easily pushed along by the insistent Vince, who seemed all too eager to forgo the traditional student/teacher relationship in lieu of blowing off some steam at the pub. Oh well, it's not like he was about to complain! Unless… "Hey, I'm not gonna be stuck picking up the tab again, right? I don't have a lot of money left…" he asked, remembering how Vince had run off in a bout of alcohol-induced delirium last time, leaving Marcus to pay the unhappy tavern keeper a rather steep sum of gold. "I know it wasn't on purpose, since you said you'd never had Gangreen Fairy befo-" he stopped mid-sentence, catching sight of his fellow trainee Kayla, a hero of will much like his friend Vince, as they met at the edge of the staircase.

He stared down at the floor while listening to Kayla scold them, a guilty look on his face once again, despite the fact that it seemed more directed at his spell-casting cohort than Marcus himself. "…She's got a point, Vince. People are counting on us, after all. We can't be skipping training like this…" he said, feeling even more guilty over the fact that he'd done just that earlier, when he took his little side trip to grab a few books from the library Brightwall.

-----------------------------------------------

Evelyn was halfway through counting the gold pieces Uunia had handed to her, when she glanced up and noticed he was no longer present. She sighed, looking back down to the coins, counting off the last few. Five-hundred ninety-eight, five-hundred ninety-nine, six hundred… Well, that's surprising; he actually paid me the full price. She shrugged, sitting back down in her stool and reacquiring her lute once more. She tried to remember the song she had been playing just previously, but something kept nagging at her…

"…"

Yeah… I better check the inventory again, she thought, yet again abandoning her lute as she instead took up the clipboard one more time, Juuuuuust to make sure he didn't swipe anything… Clearly Uunia had left her feeling paranoid.

Vince sighed. His friends were right. He had grown restless and bored in the last couple weeks. New recruits had shown up, the older recruits were getting stronger, and there were less intense missions for Vince to have to take care of. So, he had taken to the bottle a bit more to keep his heightened awareness cooled down. But he never forgo-ed his training. His battle ability had not dwindled in the least. And he made sure his students knew that. Which is why his friends current nagging had him torn.

The Hero of Will trainer looked from Marcus Garrett's scarred and worry-stricken, possibly guilt-ridden face to Kayla Moroe's weary and determined face. He met their looks with his own annoyed glare, which slowly melted into a proud, albeit slightly annoyed, grin.

"Ah, damn it. We've taught you far too well, far too fast." Vincent de La Forge let out an exasperated groan. "You two are going to make fine Heroes. Both of you, follow me. I'll show you my personal favorite form of training."

----------------------------

"You're serious?" Brody asked bewildered as his fellow marksman's weapon carefully into his own hands. "Not too different from my favored pistol." He grinned. "You have good taste, at least." He said as he examined the pistol. "And it's in good condition." He concluded, offering it back to her. "You have unnaturally innate talent, I must say. Master Desmond would be very impressed. A few lessons in form and awareness from him, and you'll be a symbol of perfection, like me!" He let out another chuckle.

Ella just stare at what Uunia was doing to the dagger Mr.Raid gave in amazement and once he finished she took it slowly feeling the warm that came from it. She could not miss the hypnotic azure glow that it emitted. "How..." she was beginning to ask but shook her head not wanting to sound like a complete idiot after what happened earlier with him. The thought of getting the dagger stuck into a Balverine frightened her but she did not show it. It was the last thing she wished to do since her close combat wasn't so great. Ella finally caught up with Uunia and walked along with him as his left hand. "Look Uunia...if anything were to happen to me...just save yourself" she whispered lowly, a tone of seriousness she only used when she really meant something. She wasn't looking at him, she was looking straight ahead, her face a mask of determination yet softness. "I mean it. The only reason why I didn't object to your proposal was because I know you are capable enough to get out of any mission alive. I can see it in you..."

Kayla's expression softened when Marcus looked exedingly guilty and a small smile twitched the corner of her mouth. "Don't take my words too hard," she said to him. "It's Vince that is the tempter here," Kayla said to Marcus but cast a friendly look at Vince, her words not harshly meant. Sometimes blowing off some steam could help get your focus back on track after all, she just wasn't very good at it herself, and she wasn't about to say it out loud and by so pretty much contradict herself. "So," she directed her words to Vince this time. "What is your almighty training Vince?" Flinging back some dark brown hair over her shoulder Kayla waited for his answer. She was probably not so good at treating him as a teacher, like with Miss Blair, it was just easier to treat Vince as a friend that she mostly forgot about being as formal as she was with other teachers.

The burly trainee let out a small sigh of relief, standing up straight, and tearing his gaze from the floor back to Kayla. "If you say so…" He took a small step to the side, turning ever so slightly so that he could look between the other two heroes. He tilted his head at Vince, curious as to what the nature of this 'form of training' was. Scratching his stubbly chin, Marcus wondered silently, before chiming in. "You're not gonna make me try shooting fireballs out of my hands again, are you? I'm telling you, I just can't. I couldn't even make a spark last time!" He said, raising one of his thick, scarred hands at his friend, palm open as if he were about to cast to spell, a small frown on his face. "I don't have the same gift."

"Just shut up." he said, cutting her off as she started her spill, "You're going on this mission for a punishment for me and a learning tool for you. I'm not going to give a damn if you end up dead, but I'm not going to just let you running in the forest waving that bloody dagger like you're unkillable either. Do as I say, and we'll make it back alive with a little gold in our pockets, if not, I'll be the one making it back alone." he said as he looked back at her, his eyes seeming to stare through her, "You're a hero, not a kid I need to baby sit, got that? Now if you get confused or have a question, speak the hell up, but if I tell you to hush, you're clamping that trap or I'm putting an arrow in your head. We clear?" he said, looking down to her, "Cause if I need to, I can give you a preview it for you." He said with a chuckle as he made his way through the plaza doors, he looking into the overly large room, moving to the center where the map was set for planning the larger scale missions. He looked over the map and started to look out the best way to the village with little interruption by bandits.

Axel frowned as the last bird dropped from the sky. They weren't even ducks. Just a bunch of crows.

Heh.

Honestly, though he hoped he didn't land some curse or the other. With a grimace, Axel knelt next to his bag and began to dissemble his arm. The crossbow's quiver gone, he removed the arrows from the slot where the stump left an opening. Putting the arrows into the bag as well, he pulled out a metal hand. A regular one this time. Screwing it on tight and flexing the iron joints, he grimaced. It was almost time to go to Ignis again. The joints and attachments were beginning to get extra sensitive.

With a grunt, he hefted his metal-logged bag over his shoulder and proceeded back the way he came.

He hadn't gotten far when he saw Jace come from the living quarters and head toward the exit.

"Where are you headed?" he called out.

"None of your damned business," Jace called back. Axel scowled but shrugged it off. The other would come around. Unperturbed, he ascended the staircase, whistling a tuneless song. He felt something jazzy, so he tried to reproduce the tune he heard Jaques, the old saxophone player from back home. The man was a legend on the streets.

Finally up the last step and he saw three others standing around in the hall.

"Oi!" he greeted automatically, grinning wide.

As Blair's blade crashed against Desmond's, his arm pulled back just a little. "And a fine strike, I must say", he replied, paying one compliment back with another as he took a quick step back and prepared for his own attack. "Shame you were never around for any of mine, I'd have loved to hear comparisons", Desmond said with a smirk as he quickly pulled his arm down to his side opposite his sword arm, just as quickly stepping back in to bring the blade back up and toward her in an only slightly crooked arc, "That is, considering I'd have been able to listen to much before falling completely to the temptation of those lovely lips. "