FABLE: The New Heroes

"I'd rather you didn't go easy on me, not as fun", he said with a smirk and a wink, but his brows raised at her last comment, "Wait, my sw-.." Before he could finish, Blair was off to the arena. Desmond was great with firearms, but he was no swordsman, and it was undoubtedly going to show. So much for impressing her. Oh well, he'd just have to show her his skill with the rifle sometime later.

Well, one could always -try- to look as though he knew what he was doing. Best not keep her waiting, anyway. But Brody.. Desmond looked off in the direction he'd last seen his friend. "I'm sure he'll be fine", he thought aloud as he started off after Blair. As he neared her, he slowed to a stop and stretched, "Have a spare blade, miss Blair? I'm eager to.. Show you what I've got", he said with another little smirk.

Elle smiled at the smith as she took the dagger carefully in her left hand. She had just the right grip in it and turned to Uunia."Why is it that you want to take me then?" she asked sincerely not hiding her grin."Oh, don't you like the other guild members? Hmph, I would have thought another man fitted the role perfectly. Desmond seemed a promising comrade"Elle knew she was being very blunt and straight forward. Her thoughts never stayed inside of her mind, they had to be said."Nonetheless, I will accompany you. It will be a good way to train and use my skills." Uunia was the type of man that preferred going solo on missions and it was clear from his tone of voice and the set of his jaw that he wasn't too happy to bring someone along. It was hard to blame him when she herself was that way too but for her own reasons. What she did not want to was to put someone else in danger, hence why she liked doing missions alone. "Thank you Mr. Raid, I will give this dagger to you as soon as I am done with the mission"

"Damn?" Raven repeated as he stopped. "That was incredible, you even took out the one behind it," she said, "You're great."

Raven smiled, pulling out her own gun. "I'm pretty good myself though, you pick a target now."

~~~~

Blair threw a practice sword to him. "This ought to be fun, Reaver's not too bad a swordsman," she commented, "Though, he only uses his sword when necessary. It's still good to practice with one." She smiled at him and pulled out her own sword then.

"I'll give you first move Desmond."

"Alright," Gauss cleared his throat. He turned his back to them and frowned. He had to go back to the training grounds out back. He just avoided burning but it needed to be done so he could plan for the morrow. "Follow me."

Axel followed with a bounce in his lopsided step, the weighted bag moving ever so slightly; it probably only moved because Jace expected it to move. What was in there was beyond him, but he figured he'd see sooner or later. Whatever was in that thing had better be worth that smidgen of his curiosity. Gauss, their new mentor, was an okay guy, from what he's seen. Laid back, almost. He and Axel seem to get along fine; he hoped that the man wasn't as cracked as this other guy was. He'd never survive.

"So, Gauss, was it?" Axel piped up. Apparently he couldn't stay quiet for too long either. The red haired man grunted. "How long had you known the old fart?"

"I don't think he'd appreciate you calling him old, Axel," Gauss said, glancing over his shoulder,

"He's not around to hear it, is he?" Axel quipped. Jace was beginning to really notice how smart the young man was on his mouth. He hoped that he had the skills it took to fight to match.

Gauss did not dignify the comment with a response.

All three walked through another set of double doors into a large field in the back of the castle. Out in what may have been the center, they all stood still for a few moments, Gauss with his back still facing them.

Jace had only a breath to spare before he barely stopped himself from getting a potential black eye and a broken leg. Gauss never let up, coming at him with a face so calm, Jace wondered if the man was just letting his body do whatever the hell it wanted. The dark haired twenty year old blocked and dodged, never able to land a solid, well-placed hit.

Gauss, with his tall and bulky form, feinted right, and came at Jace with a left hook that sent the younger, shorter fighter to the ground. Before Jace could think to get up, he was met by a boot to the neck, but something sharp was grazing the area his windpipe was found.

Winded, and wide-eyed, he looked up into sadistically happy gray eyes.

"Ass. Whooped."

Jace sent a black, heated look at Axel who stood there with his arms folded and an insufferable smirk on his face. He was beginning to hate the other.

Seeing the look, Axel only grinned.

Okay, Jace hated him now. "Let's see you do any better," he challenged, rolling carefully out of the way of the blade and standing up. He watched as the blae retreated into the toe of Gauss' boot with a raised brow. It wasn't new to him, but very few really knew how to alter their clothing to be used as weapons. And the money. Then again, the man was an all-around hero.

Axel straightened, accepting the challenge with aplomb and walked over until he was less than a foot away from the red head man. Gauss turned to face him, large gloved hands shoved into his pockets. The instructor shrugged and tipped his head back so that only one eye was visible over the bridge of his nose.

"Come at me, punk."

"I'll show you 'punk' old man," Axel said, wasting no time in swinging his left leg toward the bigger man's head.

[continue this later since can see this will be another rather long post. I'm quite sure a lot of people skip over these.]

Uunia chuckled at her reaction, he expecting that answer, seeing as how he and his family have had dealing with desmond's father, "Heh, Desmond's more of a drinking buddy type rather than a partner. Reaver's marks are all about him, and I didn't like him when my father introduced me. He's a con man, a damned good shot, but a con none the less. And if I know better, his spawn is cut from the same cloth." he said as he finally was able to string his bow, it holding taught. "Ah...good, feels even stronger and lighter than last time..." he said as he set the bow about himself, he sighing with relief as he felt whole again. "I'd rather have someone with trusting eyes...it makes my job a lot easier..." he said as he looked to Ella, "The old hero Maze once told me that you can never fully trust in a hero's actions or skill...only his eyes tell the truth...and I saw no deceit in yours." he said as Raid chuckled at Ella, "Just bring yourself back, I can make another knife, but not another you." Raid then moved to Uunia and put out his palm, expecting payment. Uunia then moved his hand to his side, pulling out his gold sack, ready to count the needed pieces when Raid grabbed the sack hand in a crushing gripping he speaking low so that only Uunia would hear, "I know we've had our words, and I know we don't see eye to eye, but if anything happens to that girl, be it by your hand or another's I'll be sure to leave in in worse shape than your weapons." Uunia stared back with a defiant look at first for the smith's actions but then shook his head, "If anything, I will be there to see her through it. You worry too much Smith. Just see to the ore and release me." Raid then broke his hold on the assassin and let the gold fall into his hand he pocketing it. "Alright you youngins, out of here. And don't come back till I see a few pelts on your back." He said as he ushered the two outside into the open air, Uunia looking about as he settled his hand on the hilt of his blade, he thinking of what they might need to set out with.

Elle giggled as she was dragged outside and nodded at Mr.Raid."Don't worry I am not going to let some puppy face bring me...or Uunia down" she said with full determination as she looked from Uunia and back to the smith."You take care too!" she continued and waved goobye as the smith closed the front door of his small shop."Well, if we are going to start this mission as soon as possible...I need to make a quick stop..." she said sighing as she looked down at her apparel. Her hand made dress was made of fine silk. It might have been appropriate for a party or mere training but not to go hunting down Balverines. Luckily, before coming to the guild she had packed an extra set of clothes but she had left them with her friend just at the outside skirts of the guild entrance."Since I don't want to be a burden to you, I will just go ahead and do what I have to do. We can meet back at this exact point...if you want" she said while looking at him trying to hide the guilt at not having thought of being prepare before.

When Blair threw the sword to him, Desmond thrust his arm forward caught its grip. Had he actually expected to catch it as he did, he'd have very likely spent less time staring at it. Surprised, but proud of his reflex, Desmond closed his eyes and smirked. It was true that he'd barely spent any time with a melee weapon, but maybe it'd come as naturally as his gun-play. One could hope, anyway.

As his eyes reopened, Desmond's arm lowered and relaxed. "Ladies first, miss Blair", he said with a smile, his sword-arm hanging loose for the moment, "My father may be reputed to be swine, but mother raised a gentleman. " Despite his attempt at positive thought, Desmond had a strong feeling that he'd not be coming out on top. Of course, he wasn't one to complain from beneath a lovely lady. His smirk returned at the thought, finding innuendo in it as soon as it had entered his mind. In any case, he expected this would be fun.

"You're too kind, Raven." Brody smiled. "Umm... Try the one to the left of the one I got a headshot on?" He pointed towards the back of the room, his smile growing broader as he backed up a little bit. "Yeah, let's go with that." He pat her shoulder.

Axel smirked when the kick was blocked by a nonchalant forearmed block. Lowering his leg, he tried again. To be honest, he wanted to just play around a bit, see what he was going to get himself into. But he still couldn't afford to have his ass handed to him like Jace. His pride would never live again.

Left. Left. Rright. Roundhouse, roundhouse, drop, roundhouse, sweep.

"Get on with it," he heard Jace drawl dryly from his post nearby. Axel, not taking his eyes off his task, raised a hand in a gesture that showed Jace exactly what he thought.

"No thank you," came the extra dry response.

Axel snorted and ducked low when it came. Gauss was obviously getting bored, so it was time to dance. The punches came, the speed incredible. One block from his left arm made it feel like it was going to shatter from the impact. That meant he would have to only use his right arm for blocking. At least that would stand more of a chance against the force. After all, metal against flesh had no competition right?

Axel dodged and blocked, ducking every so often to sneak in a blow to the other's midsection or leg. It took some doing but he managed five hits before he himself was on the ground with a blade near his eye, blocked only by his trusty right arm.

"That was only thirty seconds longer than me." Jace again.

"I lasted longer, bitch, so I still win," Axel retorted, still peering wearily over his right arm.

Gauss pulled back with a slight frown. "You're always using that arm to block and take damage. What's so special about that arm?"

"It's stronger than the other," Axel stated blandly. It wasn't a lie either. Metal in that age was always stronger than flesh. Look at the swords they came up with.

"Both should be equal in strength," Gauss pointed out. "If you lost your best line of defense then you'd be screwed otherwise. you'd be raped like a defenseless virgin on the battlefield."

"Chastity belts for the win," Axel stated blandly. He got a chuckle from his mentor and the foot blade was removed. Axel got to his feet.

"How'd you get the blade fixed to the boot?"

"Some kid named Lucas forged the boot to facilitate. Crazy lady named Kriss made the blade and put them together."

"Lucas?" Axel asked, working his arms to prevent cramping. He started to feel the bruising already. "You mean, tall, blond, looks like he could be toppled over by a light summer breeze?"

"Yup," Gauss replied. "You know him."

It wasn't a question.

"Yeah," the flippant teen answered. "He's damn good at what he does. But he can make the weapons himself if you offer the right price. Made me my guns."

Jace meandered over. "Guns?"

Axel nodded, pointing over to the heavy bag. "Guns, cannons, cross bows. Here."

He walked over to the bag and squatted, making quick work of the zipper. He looked over his shoulder, noting that the other two hadn't moved. But that was just as well. He flashed them a wild grin and went back to work. Inside the duffel, on top was his prized cannon. He removed his right glove and pulled back his coat sleeve to reveal an arm made of dusted, reinforced steel. The memories behind that still made him mad but he had gotten over it for the most part. Flexing the metal fingers, he sucked in a breath, ready for the pain that usually followed whenever he took the arm apart. Teeth locked, he twisted the hand around and off before placing it into the bag. Again, he repeated the action for the forearm. A three part arm sucked most of the time but it was worth it in the long run.

So he told himself.

Taking out the cannon, the bag seemed to deflate, making him grin to himself. He attached the back end of the cannon to the stumped upper arm and screwed it on, securing the bolts and latched before loading up one of the medium sized dark cannonballs. Inside each of the titanium suckers was good gunpowder and some chemical Lucas concocted to make it go 'boom' so to speak. He loved them. Axel stood, a little bit bent over until he hauled the cannon into this left hand and turned so they could see it. From that distance, all they really saw was him holding a shiny metal cannon with serpentine designs on it and an almost bell shaped nozzle. He cocked the cannon -- another thing he liked about the unique design. It was loaded with a magazine filled with the smaller cannonballs and could be reloaded like an auto rifle.

Jace had a raised brow while Gauss looked impressed.

"Ain't she a beauty?" Axel nearly gushed with a grin. He looked around for a suitable target to test. "Hey boss man," he said to Gauss. "You mind if I use that wall over there?"

He didn't even wait for approval. Axel aimed the cannon. Because his weapons were made to respond like muscles, all he had to do was think and it shot out a smoking cannon. The recoil caused the cannon to move to the right, making him flail a little to keep his balance, sommersaulting backward to shoot again. It hit the wall with a bang, and the roar of the impact shook the ground. Another hit built up the smoke and shook the earth again.

When the dust cleared, Axel whistled low and grimaced. But he was still proud. Half the guard wall was eaten out, and in the ground in its place was a sizable crater.

Jace seemed a smidgen impressed. So that was good enough. Gauss looked mighty pleased.

"Hot damn, kid," he said, coming to walk to Axel and give him a pat on the shoulder. "But Blair's going to have a dog and a half if she sees this."

"I can fix it, I swear," Axel said, paling a bit. This Blair person sounded a little angry. And he knew the wrath of a woman was nothing to be tinkered with. At least...not often.

It was fun, what could he say?

"You'd better," Gauss muttered. "That all you got, though?"

"Hell no," Axel grinned mischievously.

Heavy footfalls stomped along a cold mountain path, as Marcus Garrett, burly hero-in-training, made his way towards the Heroes' Guild, on his way back from a brief excursion to the village of Brightwall. He hummed a cheerful tune to himself as he trudged on, one hand carrying his heavy steel great hammer casually, as if it were nothing to him, the other tightly clutching a large wool-knit sack, filled near to bursting with an assortment of books that he'd obtained from the village's library. He paused a moment, catching sight of the palace-esque Guild Hall off in the distance, a small smile forming on his lips.

I must've seen this view a hundred times, he thought to himself, but I never get used to it. Having lived in Mistpeak his whole life, he was still getting used to the fact that the relatively recently constructed Heroes' Guild had been built out in the wilderness of this place. Not that he was complaining, mind you; especially after the fact that he'd been chosen to become an apprentice himself several months ago. To him, the thought of being able to go on the same kind of fantastic journeys that the heroes in the old tales had ventured was like a dream come true.

Taking this moment to catch his breath, he propped himself up against his hammer, leaning against the long handle of the thing. Pulling a small rag from the pocket of his gray, fur-lined leather vest, he wiped a bead of sweat from his brow as he continued to gaze at the Guild Hall off in the distance. He was rather aptly clad for a valley dweller; aside from his vest, he was also donning a set of beige wool breeches (probably made from the same simple materials as his book sack) held up by a brown leather belt with a sheathed longsword and holstered pistol clipped to it, as well as several small pouches for carrying other, smaller items. He also sported a pair of fur-lined boots that matched his vest, coated in a thin layer of snow from his traversing the valley.

"Welp, better get back before one of the trainers notices I've been missing all day," he said to himself, nodding as he picked his hammer back up, continuing off in the direction of the Guild.

-----------------------------------------------------

Healing potions… Check. Will potions... Check. Bows… Check. Arrows… Check. Swords, axes, maces, shields… Check, check, check, and… check.

Evelyn yawned, pulling her hand away from the clipboard to cover her mouth momentarily as she did so. Taking inventory was always the most tedious part of the work day. Still, she knew it was important to keep everything in check, especially knowing some of the types that stalked around this place.

She sighed, returning to her work, eyes scanning around the guild shop, from the potion shelves, to the weapon and armor racks, to the produce crates, and even to the ill-defined 'Miscellaneous' section in the far off corner… everything seemed to be accounted for. Evelyn nodded to herself, and after a quick glance about to see if anyone was present, she walked back around the store counter, setting the clipboard down next to the register, while taking a seat at a stool behind said counter. Hoisting her lute (which was leaning against the wall nearby) up onto her knees, over the skirt of her plain dark blue dress.

She paused for a moment, trying to think of a tune to play. After a few seconds, she gave herself another small nod, and began strumming notes on the wooden lute, playing a slow tune she'd once heard a traveling gypsy play, idly humming along the same notes as she played in the song.

"Well I think it's best that we go to the range, if that's the case," Gauss said, looking at the decimated wall with a grimace. "I really hope Blair doesn't come by this way."

"Way too much noise not to notice," Jace put in. "But it's Axel's fault so his ass is on the line."

"But boss man here's responsible for us," Axel defended. "He's going to take the rap."

"Don't remind me," Gauss groaned, turning back toward the building and walking off with long strides. "Now shut up, pack your crap and follow me."

Axel rushed over, still cradling the cannon in his left arm, and stooped to pick up his bag. The barrel of the cannon hit the ground with a dull thud, Axel slinging the significantly lighter bag over his shoulder before hefting his right arm-turned-cannon to rest again in his left hand. Sometimes it sucked having to carry the cannon around that way. It was heavy and it weighed him down. It took months of practice to even begin to get used to it. Maybe Lucas knew how to make it more bearable. Hopefully the thief got better within the last week.

Doubtful, but the man's done more crap within a week that he's bound to have come up with something at least.

The walk was uneventful, but as soon as they got to the range, Axel nearly whooped for joy. He settled for something that sounded like a cackle. There was a wide open field, and to the west was a room for close ranged targets. So there were two kinds of target practice around. Nice.

"Holy crap," he breathed, grinning at the wide area of land. "I'd have loads of fun with this."

The nineteen year old walked forward, cannon all but forgotten as he surveyed the area. He hauled the cannon over his right shoulder and let his bag drop. The targets were a fair distance away, the first row being a hundred meters off. The furthest ones were about three miles out. Ah, sometimes he loved his enhanced sight. More often than not, he wondered if it was compensation for losing his arm, but whatever. It worked for him.

"It seems we're late to the party," he heard Gauss comment.

"Huh?" Axel queried. He followed the trainer's gaze to find a two-person party already going at the targets inside the range room. "Oh."

Gauss seemed to think for a moment. "They're two of the kiddies I saw before you assaulted me inside."

"I didn't assault you," Axel frowned, turning to face his mentor. "I only came to ask you a question."

"You assaulted him with a question," Jace quipped.

"Shut up, man."

"I believe I'm better suited for that line."

"Calm down, both of you," Gauss cut in. "Alright Axel, let's see you try that cannon again."

"You got it," Axel grunted as he let the cannon fall into his left hand again and took aim. "I'm taking out the one three hundred meters out, six feet to the left."

"Okay," Gauss nodded. "Fire."

Axel wasted no time, the recoil from the shot nearly throwing him over again, but he caught himself by taking a step back. The cannonball arched through the air, and fell to the ground three hundred meters out. The impact sent a tremor through the ground, but less traumatic that the last one at the back of the castle.

"Bull's eye," Axel whooped.

"Bull-shit," Jace commented, not believing it for a second.

"I'll be the judge of that," Gauss muttered, jogging out.

The dummy was just a black spot on the ground. "Well damn." He looked up at the other two in the distance. "DIRECT HIT!"

"You were saying?" Axel hummed, smirking.

Uunia nodded to Ella as he looked back to her, "Oh, right...well you get what you deem necessary, I'll be sure to get a few sundries from the shop." he said as he nodded to her, he gripping the hilt of his sword as he walked his way over to the shop, it sitting just a short walk away from the smith's semlting area. As he walked he thought of what he might need himself along with the upstart. He then checked his bag of gold as he was just about to walk through the doorway, he seeing Evelyn toying a new flute. He having been in the guild for so long, had yet to figure out the strange woman. To him, she was always checking off the inventory in the guild, making it rather hard to swipe a few things when he was ever short a few gold coins, or figured the item wasn't worth the price. He remembered the last time he tried to take a simple book for his private reading without paying and was stuck working the smith for a solid month.

He sighed as he walked in, expecting to hear a few words based on his past actions but thinking it best to keep quite less she thinks it a good idea to bring it up. He smoothed down his unkempt white hair, moving a little out of the way of his golden yellow eyes but doing enough to hide the small horns that were starting to form on his head, revealing his brown mocha colored skin, "Afternoon Evelyn, I see the day's been good to you." He said as he caught her mid hum through one of the many strange tunes that were heard among the gypsies and travelers. He looked about the basic goods that were up front, a few potions and a nice selection of weapons, "But before I start rammbling, I'm here for a few things that me and another trainee need to combat a few Balvorines..." he said as he picked up one of the health potions, swirling the contents of it inside, "And yes, this time I have coin and a few things worth training." he said with a chuckle, expecting a word or two from her for his usual sticky fingers.

Evelyn's lute playing came to a swift halt as the dubious Uunia strode in. Oh great, this guy again… she thought to herself, trying her best not to roll her eyes at him. She wanted to just kick him out of the store right then and there, not only because of his past pilfering of her wares, but also because he just… gave her a bad vibe in general. But no, she decided she'd be professional, as always.

She cleared her throat, setting her instrument aside, and then stood up from her stool, bowing curtly to Uunia. "That is good to hear, sir. You say you'll be hunting Balverines? Well then, you'll definitely want to take some extra potions-" she paused, watching Uunia swiveling around one of said potions. Oh, guess he already had that idea… I just hope he intends to pay for that, she thought, before continuing. "Ahem, we also have a silver augmentation for sale that might prove useful." She pointed over to a table in the far corner, with several small stones with rune-like engravings, all of which were on display in separate glass cases. She must've been referring to the particular augment on the far right, a small metal piece that shimmered with an unnatural silver light.

"Of course, you'll have to visit the smith to have it attached to your weapon." She was going to make a snarky comment about how he'd been forced to work for the smith after he'd been caught before, but again, caught herself. Instead, she just gave him a polite, albeit forced, smile.

-----------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Marcus had just made it to the Heroes' Guild's entrance, pushing the big wooden doors open with ease. Jogging through the main hall, and out into the training yard, he glanced around just briefly to see who all was out and about… he saw the three men in the open range, one of them apparently practicing with a cannon of some type. Then there was a fellow trainee, the skilled gunslinger Raven, and another man he hadn't seen before, taking shots at dummies in the closed range. Off in the arena area, Miss Blair seemed to be about to engage in a sword duel with yet another new person, a skinny, dapper looking fellow.

Marcus was in too much of a hurry to take notice of anyone else, turning his attention back to the direction he was walking, his big sack of books in tow. He attempted to discreetly make his way up an exterior flight of stairs to the left of the training yard, leading to the second floor of the guild hall, where his quarters were located. Of course, his attempt at sneaking by was ill-conceived, as the brawny trainee wasn't exactly hard to miss.

Vincent de La Forge sighed, not for the first time today, his meditation had been interrupted. On this day, of all days, all the Heroes seemed to be gathering at the guild.

In this week alone, he had seen two young female Heroes in-training arrive. One of Will and one of Skill. He had noticed a long-time guildmate, Uunia had taken an advanced interest in the young Heroine of Will. Vince had made sure to keep on an eye on him, just in case, though he knew Uunia had a bad reputation, he trusted the man with his back, but not necessarily with the newbies backs.

And today, a Hero of Skill in-training and his manservant with a knack for firearms too, showed up. Those two seemed like stand-up guys, albeit a little too flirty, but what do you expect of a son of Reaver?

And shortly after those two had arrived, yet another Hero of Skill in-training arrived. A relatively young Hero of Skill, he was greatly accurate and quite amusing though he had been Vince's main cause of annoyance today, him and his goddamned cannon. Vince made a note to talk to Blair about that later on when he saw her.

Vince wasn't even sure how to take the young Hero in-training of Strength who greatly resembled Gauss.

Again, not for the first time today, he wondered where his fellow guildmate and drinking buddy Marcus had ran off to today. He also wondered what his old friend Kayla was up too, he had seen her practicing her Will earlier in the day. He had known the young Heroine of Will in his days at Oakfield and the Temple of Light. But he hadn't really interacted with her much since he had set out for the Heroes Guild, or since she had arrived at the guild. Out of all the Heroes here, Marcus and Kayla were the only two he could see himself truly befriending. Kindred souls, as you would.

Deciding to give up on meditating for now, he got up from his corner of the training area and dusted himself off and set off in search of one of his--- and then he saw a brawny scarred younger man with a sack of brick-shaped objects sneaking off up the stairs.

"That was easy." Vince blinked and started off towards his student.

Jace merely rolled his eyes and looked away.

He heard Axel chuckle and shuffle away. Looking over his shoulder, he watched as the other did...something with the cannon that seemed to take a lot of work to dismantle. But wasn't the cannon an item in and of itself?

"What'd you do?" he asked. "Tie the thing to your arm?"

Axel froze mid motion, glancing back at the gray eyed twenty year old. There was a point where Jace thought he saw trepidation then relief flash in those green depths before it switched over into mischief.

What?

"You could say that," Axel drawled, returning his attention to the task at hand. Cannon seemingly disposed of, he stood to his feet and cradled in his left hand what seemed to be a Gatling. At that moment, Gauss came back and gave the shooter a pat on the shoulder.

"I thought you'd be a strength type," the trainer said, raising a brow. "Gear was."

"My mother taught me how to fight," Axel stated simply. "She was more of a shooter, but the family was trained in both respects. So I can kick ass without a gun if need be,"

Axel raised the barrel with a grunt, holding it with his left hand and aiming. He didn't even bother to close one eye like many did. "Eight hundred meters out, dead center." He fired six rounds before he lowered the gun. "The head should be off."

"How would you know that?" Jace spoke up.

"On a good day, I can see about two miles out in any direction," Axel replied. He smirked and tilted his head back, adding: "In detail."

"That's total crap," Jace snorted.

"Then go check the dummy."

"Somehow," Gauss sighed. "I believe the kid."

Jace looked at the older man incredulously. "What?"

"That last shot with the cannon didn't even leave a piece of the dummy left. Crowe jr. here has perfect aim."

Jace made the mistake of looking back at the other trainee. Axel was waiting and stuck his tongue out at him. Jace frowned in disgust. But to his satisfaction, the action earned Axel a smack upside the head from the red haired trainer.

"Give him a break, Axel," the older man sighed. "Be mature every once in a while."

"Fine," Axel huffed.

"Good. Now I'll leave you two to do whatever. I'm going out to plan your lessons for tomorrow and maybe a few mini missions. Jace: you're going to be with me for most of the day. You need to work on your form: it's lacking."

Axel pointed at Jace and guffawed silently, earning himself a black look.

"What about me, boss man?" he asked.

"I'll deal with you later. Just find less bulky weapons, becuse in close quarters, you'll be useless."

"Ha-ha," Jace drawled. Instantly, their expressions switched, Jace smirking and Axel scowling.

Gauss sighed. "Kids..."

"I'm twenty," Jace corrected immediately.

"I'm legal," Axel said not a moment after.

"Whatever!" Gauss threw his hands up and walked away. "God, you two are almost as bad as me and Gear."

The red head left the range, muttering under his breath.

"Well you two do look a lot alike," Axel commented, off-handed. "And my old man was one mean stick in the mud." He shrugged. "Go do whatever it is Jaces do. I'm gonna hang out here a little while."

Jace snorted. "Like I'd stick around you for longer than I have to." The Asian looking young man put his hands in his pockets and left. He should get familiar with the rest of the building. He might even find someone else to hang around that wasn't Axel.

Believing he'd made it by without being noticed, Marcus sighed in relief as he reached the small wooden door that lead to his room, located on the second floor of the guild hall. Setting his book sack to the wayside momentarily, he removed a small iron key from one of the pouches on his belt, promptly inserting it into the keyhole and unlocking the door with a faint metal click. Reacquiring his bag, he slowly pushed the door open, entering into his modest abode.

As far as furnishings go, his room was relatively spartan. A small bed was against the left side wall, and aside from a half empty book case on the right, and a small wooden chair, there wasn't much else, not even a window. Shutting the door behind him, he walked over to the shelf, once again dropping the heavy sack of books to the ground. After looking at his own selection for a moment, he began the task of placing his new assortment of literature on the shelf, taking great care to make sure he handled the books delicately.

After his task was finished, he dusted off his hands, nodding to himself. "That should keep me for a while…" he muttered, with a small grin. He turned, walking back towards his door and opening it once more, ready to make his way back to the training ground.

The white haired man's words caught Kayla's attention, turning her steel grey eyes to him she listened more intently, another descendant of Maze who had been a hero several hundred years ago. If the legends held true Uunia was similar to the old hero, a complete opposite of herself who hated her relation to Maze and made futile tries to forget that fact by choosing her spells carefully. Shaking off those thoughts Kayla noticed people had started scattering, some to train, some to prepare for the balverine quest and some new trainees had arrived as well.</SPAN></SPAN>

Still feeling drained from her training Kayla decided to wander around the guild, the inside was almost as beautiful as the lake it was built by and she would have closer to the training areas if she stayed inside. Getting close to the edge of the training area, the guild walls towering above her, Kayla noticed a familiar face heading towards a staircase leading inside.
</SPAN></SPAN>

Kayla knew him quite well as they were both from Oakfield but she hadn't seen Vincent much after arriving at the guild, she herself had been busy practically every day training, her usual stubborn work-a-holic side taking over. Vince was sneaking after another man that Kayla recognized vaguely but didn't really know, bored by going around doing nothing Kayla decided to see what Vince was up to this time. Carefully sneaking after him, her soft leather boots making almost no noise against the stone floor as she headed up the stairs.
</SPAN></SPAN>

Vince strolled up to Marcus' door right as he was opening it and walking out.

"And where exactly have you been, Mr. Garrett?" Vince asked the younger man sternly as he put his hand on his shoulder.

Marcus nearly jumped when he heard Vince's voice. Oh boy, he thought to himself, Well, hopefully he'll go easy on me… he sighed, closing his door behind him then turning to face his spell-weaving teacher."I, uh, well… I won't lie sir, I made a small trip to Brightwall," he said plainly, scratching the back of his head, a guilty look on his face. "I ran out of fresh reading material, you see… But I know that's no excuse to forsake training, so I'll accept any punishment you think is fitting." Marcus watched Vince's expression carefully, unsure of how he'll react.

"I have one question for you." Vincent intensified his look on Marcus. "Why didn't you take me with you? Do you know how chaotic it has been here today? Our recruits have seemingly doubled in the last week! This new trainee is blowing the shooting range up! I haven't gotten a single meditation session in today!" The Hero of Will Trainer ranted on, eventually stepping closer to the Hero of Strength recruit and slightly shaking him a bit. "Let us go get a drink, yes?" His eyes widened in the usual puppy-dog eye look.