FABLE: The New Heroes

Raven glared at the dark-looking young man. "I'd like to see you try anything," she muttered. "You look like the kind to pull a trigger on your fellows rather than your enemies."

She turned away, heading off to another shooting range. "What kind of help will you be?" she muttered as she walked away.

As she walked, she considered staying. In case the guy really did pull something. That other girl seemed awfully nice, she probably wouldn't stand a chance against that man.

"Oh, don't worry. I will be the most gentle man that one could ever see...as long as he doesn't make my blade into a butter knife." he chuckled as he made his way in the direction of the blacksmith, he putting the broken weapons in his sack, "And if you wish to come, go ahead. Though I'm not one to really give two shits from a simple tag along." he started off towards the smithy with Ella close behind when he heard the sound of a distant gun shot, he looking around and up, "That shot was a few miles from her...and...up..." he said as eh looked towards the mountains, he not able to see any figures, but he knew a rifle when he heard one, "Hmm...no matter..." he said as looked upon the anvils and forge in the distance.

Once at the Smithy, Uunia looked around, he placing his pack on one of the tables as gazed for "A few gold coins for a repair Smith!" he called out, his golden eyes looking upon a few of the already completed weapons on the table. He walked up to them, he letting his fingers run across the hilt of a rather vicious looking ebony straight sword as well as a looking over a simple clockwork pistol. "Damned things...never could get how someone would take something as loud and obnoxious as this for the stealth that a bow or crossbow gives..." he said as he he picked up the weapon as if it were a piece of human refuse. "Then again, some prefer all that attention in the heat of battle...makes it easier for guys like me to clean up." he said as he tossed it back on the table, he turning about to see the anvil, he running his fingers along its metal, "Still hot from a pounding...he must be coming back soon..."

Elle's head moved to the direction of the shot and she frowned. "Who could it be...?" she asked more to herself than for the man. She got a feeling he knew the way throughout the guild pretty well and therefore didn't need her help at all. After all, that is not the reason she follow him, she just wanted to keep a close eye on him. "Is around noon, there is a chance that he is out for lunch" she said as matter of fact as she looked up at the sun and then back at Uunia her eyes watching his fingers as he touched the weapons. "Seems like you know a lot about this...kind of things." Crossing her arms, she shrugged her pale hair hiding her face as it fell in front of her face. With an annoy sigh, she brushed it away with her hand."You should come back later" Elle said as she curiously took a dangerously looking maze from a wooden table. It felt a bit heavy but she did not care somehow she liked the feel of it. It was too bad that she did not know how to handle weapons or how to use them except for the hidden blade in her left arm.

"Thanks for the advice," Kayla said to the fully realised hero. She suspected the tip may very well function just as well for a Will user as it did for a Skill or Strength user, it was just a matter of controling your energy consumption through your mental attitude. However it was harder than it sounded and would probably take more training than the actually conjuring of fire for example. Except for lightning, fire was what came easiest for Kayla and as she refused to use the former it was fire she mostly trained with. "I'll try it when I regain my energy." While she didn't like it her Will energy was pretty much gone, training any more would not yield any results except exhaustion so the young woman relented and decided on a short break before resuiming training. Her mind almost always wrapped up in improving her skills Kayla often forgot that she should practice something else then her magic, she knew that if she ever ended up in trouble and couldn't use her Will then she needed another defense. But she still neglected to train with the katana that mostly hung by her waist, strapped to an orange belt, she knew she should train more with the sword and probably use the advice from Blair there as well.

Just as Desmond was approaching the door to the guild, he heard noise. People talking, mostly. "Let's have a look around, go introduce ourselves", he said, backing away from the door. He started ahead before his companion again, but this time looked back over his shoulder more than once to make sure he was following. It'd probably be a little upsetting to be abandoned twice in one day.

Before long, the duo would find themselves entering a training ground of sorts, full of dummies and other targets, as well as a handful of other people - Other recruits, he'd assume. Seemed like it could be a nice place to practice, though not quite one to his liking. That was mostly because he'd grown too used to practicing on live bandits and the occasional wanna-be villain that had crossed into what he felt was his territory. Maybe not so much his territory, but well.. A place he felt deserved his protection, at least. His home, the Millfields and Bowerstone Industrial.. The home of about ninety percent of the people on his guest lists. Now that he thought about it, that really said something about his character that probably wouldn't bode well with his mother, or other members of the community where he lived.

It seemed like most of the people out there were grouped into two or three, one pair of females closer to them than the rest - At least it seemed that way to Desmond. And quite the sight they were, especially the woman in the pirate get-up. Naturally, the young man would approach them with a charming little smile and a smooth-toned greeting, "Hello there lovelies", he said, forcing himself to keep his eyes focused above their necks.

Blair smiled. "Of course, you should take a walk. Or even a nap," she told Kayla. She turned just as the two young men approached. She looked them both up and down for a moment. They came from Millfields or... At least some part of Bowerstone. She knew the kind, never her favorite people. Then again, these two looked good-natured.

Blair nodded her head to them politely. "Hello boys. New recruits?" she inquired. "Was it you two making all the noise over there?" She turned to the leading man. "Are you a good shot?" she asked politely.

~~~

Raven had gone to one of the other shooting-ranges. She pulled out her gun and quickly fired off a few rounds, hitting most of the targets in the center. She smiled, proud of herself.

"I know a lot because my father taught me before I entered the guild. He told me stories of the first heroes, telling me of there famed exploits and daring deeds...of course I thought it was rubbish tilll I came here to the guild." he said as he looked over a rather mangled peace of wood that used to be a staff, he picking up one of the still mana charged splinters. "He even taught me a little magic, hince why out of all of the recruits, I am one of the few with these..." he said as he pinted to his face, showing the glowing lines that seemed to crack from his skin. "But you're right...perhaps we should leave...before I-"

"--start lifting meh goods?" bellowed a loud man from behind the two of them. Uunia turned to face the booming voice to be met with the familiar blacksmith. He seemed rather stout, a head taller than Uunia with coal colored eyes, Short bristly brown hair, and soot covered shirt, pants and apron. In one arm he had a box filled with ore and the other his usual hammer, "I figured I smelled something foul. I though the guild master sent you after whatever infestation was in lower Bowerstone." said the blacksmith as he placed the box near the asortment of weapons. "He did." retorted Uunia, "Seemed like bandits had just set up shop and left a stink with there trash near the harbor. Plenty of rats, rot, and dead would be heroes were among the garbage..." he said coldly as he reached into his pack. "Managed to kill most of them, even got you a present." He said as he tossed a few bits of ebony ore onto the anvil, along with his broken Katana (Blackwind) and bow (Nightwhisper). "I need these taken care of in exchange. And please, if you can help it, at least let the sword last more than ten swings. I'd hate to be left with shards again when dealing with that sort." he said as he pulled up his hood, he starting for the way out sense he gave his order.

Elle jumped a little in surprise, she was startled that the blacksmith was back and about. Turning around she waved her hand at him not wanting to say a word to interrupt his conversation with Uunia. She was a polite person with manners, something her family taught her since she was a kid. Once Uunia finished, Elle went to the man and kissed him on the cheek then said "I would stay longer and talk but I have to go, please take care. Oh and my father would be happy to see you again, perhaps you can visit him one of these days." With another wave she turn and jogged towards Unnia. As she reached his side, she took a glance at him and clapped her hands together. "You did not have to be so cold to him, after all he is the best blacksmith we have around here..." she said trailing off, wanting to see what he would say to her.

Nodding in agreement Kayla were about to take her leave and take a walk, to the library perhaps, in Oakfield they had nothing even close to a library even though it had grown over the years so she didn't waste this opportunity to read through the many books, many were also good for help with training, when two young men approached. Kayla didn't recognize them so they were probably new arrivals though they were better dressed than most people, she had not much experience with rich people, where she came from there were no rich or poor people as everyone pretty much struggled to get by, so if there were some special etiquette among the wealthy then Kayla didn't know it. "Hi guys," Kayla said with a smile, always glad to meet new people, curious as well over their answers to Briar's questions.

Brody grinned. And then frowned internally. He was nothing compared to these people. Oh well, he continued grinning and put out his hand. "Brody O'Darroch, at your service." He let his hazel eyes twinkle a little bit. Desmond had tutored him to control his emotions around women, while he was like jelly inside, he managed to maintain a sense of calm.

"And this is..." He waved his hand toward Desmond, anticipating an interruption. His master never let him finish his introductions like Brody was taught to.

((Maaaan, you've got my guy all wrong. Desmond's mother might have taught Brody these things though. ))

The older of the two young men waited a moment, as though expecting Brody to finish, but maybe the boy felt it was rude. Maybe he should have felt that way too, being the wealthy young man he was, but he wasn't wired like most snooty rich kids seemed to be. He gave one of those fancy little bows, lowering his head slightly as he did. "Cale. Desmond Cale, but you can call me what you desire", he said as he stood straight again, smirking faintly, "It is, after all, my intent to be just that. "

"But I seem to be getting ahead of myself, and I apologize for that", he said, giving one girl a smile and a slight nod before turning to face the one who had questioned him. He couldn't help himself from pausing to seek out the woman's eyes, keeping his little smile as he spoke, "We are indeed new recruits, here to stay for quite some time I would hope, considering the company we're presented with. "

"I'm sorry if the noise disturbed you. We did run into a bit of trouble on the way here", he explained. Desmond's smile faded when he thought back to her other question, about his shooting. Normally, he'd have played modest anyway, but this time he meant what he said, "I wouldn't call myself the best.. Perhaps better than some, but I could definitely stand for improvement. " He was the best shot on the block where he came from, he usually told himself, but today made him feel otherwise. In his mind, the wolf he fired at not long ago should have had a hole in its head. He'd only hit the thing's leg. The young man paused for a moment, then shook his head a little before replacing his smile, "My friend here, on the other hand.. Many times I'm under the impression that he shares in my heroic blood. I'd wager he could take a Hobbe's head from a mile off with either one of his pistols", he said, placing a hand on Brody's shoulder.

Brody silently sighed with relief as his master took his cue. And then mentally facepalm'd as Desmond began his womanizing ways. Oh well, it was to be expected. They were almost renowned as his shooting skills. Wait, are they talking about me? Brody peaked his ear back into the conversation.

"-he shares in my heroic blood. I'd wager he could take a Hobbe's head from a mile off with either one of his pistols," and then his master's hand was on his shoulder.

Whoa, best compliment ever.

"You're far too kind, master." Brody beamed in appreciation despite his words.

Blair smiled. "Ah, pleasure to meet you Mr. Cale and Brody. My name is Blair. I'm one of the heroes in charge of training here." She nodded her head in the direction they had come. "And it's quite alright. Hearing the sounds of gun-shots is always soothing, and with practice you can become one of the best shots in the Guild."

She turned to Brody now. "As for you, you don't need hero-blood to be a hero, as long as you have the drive and the will to become one." Blair laughed gently. "After all, I once heard 'Some heroes are born, others are made.' Happy to have you here if you're as good as Mr. Cale says."

"Aye Lass, I know how the guild keeps you youngins goin' about. Tell yer father that I'd share a few beers with him come tomorrow. As for you troublemaker," the Smith turning his one good eye to Uunia, the other having a nasty looking scar over it, "Your sword and bow will be done within the hour. I'd say be careful with them when I'm done but you're as stubborn as your father was. Just for the love of the guild, stay out of TOO much trouble." Uunia scoffed at the blacksmith's words and made his way out, not even wanting to think of his Mage father. "Just make them nice and shiny or I'll use the blunt end on the back of your head. " he said as eh walked back out into the afternoon sun, he having his hood up, giving off an even shadier look. He made his way from the smithy when he heard Raven say, "You did not have to be so cold to him, after all he is the best blacksmith we have around here...", Uunia didn't even turn to look at her as he spoke"If he's so great he can at least make a my weapon act like a sword rather than a brittle tree branch." he said, scoffing as he walked back out towards the feild, he smelling the ores and metal being smelt from behind him. "But, with him being the closest, I suppose I'll have to cope."

As he made his way down from the black smith, he catching the view of two more figures in the guild, "Oh grand...more targets...and men too...with guns..." he groaned as he made his way closer to the gathering of them, "Oi! So who is this lot Miss Blair...please don't say heroes...I mean one's dressed like a damned butler for Albien's sake..." he said, stifling a laugh as he pointed to Brody. "So really what are you? Hunters? Circus acts? A Comedy duo?"

Desmond moved closer, nearly closing the gap between himself and Blair entirely, then reached for her hand. Unless she'd have jerked it back for whatever reason, he'd have lifted it and lowered his head slightly as he spoke, "Oh no, miss Blair, the pleasure is all mine", he said, his eyes remaining glued to hers as he pressed his lips against the back of her hand, "As nice as it sounds already to be able to train under you, I'd very much like some personal time with you. " He released her hand and stood upright again, brushing dirt off of his knee on the way up. "I've made a nice perch of a roof-top in Bowerstone Industrial, plenty big enough for two and the noise is almost a whisper, so no worrying about having your focus broken or.. An intimate moment ruined. "

"Again, I apologize. I must seem so inappropriate to be suggesting such things so soon", he laughed softly, taking a step back and moving his hands behind his back, one resting in the grip of the other. "I've heard the same statement about heroes. I'm certain that my companion will show truth to it", he said confidently, turning to smile at his servant, who by this point he considered more closely as a friend.

Hearing the pitiful taunts of a new arrival, Desmond's little smile curled into a smirk again. He turned to face the young man, whose appearance was closer to an assassin's than an actual hero's. He shook his head and rid himself of his smirk, biting back a couple of remarks and trying to stay friendly for the time, despite the feeling that this would be one of his least favorite guild-mates. "We are new recruits. I am Desmond Cale, son of the Hero known as Reaver", he said, offering Uunia an extended hand and a somewhat less sincere smile.

A crowd seemed to be gathered ahead of her and Uunia and she stopped in her tracks as he continued. Already she could hear him talk about new targets. What is the matter with this man she thought as she sighed. Elle made up her mind and walked towards the group a brilliant smile plastered on her face as she looked at two other man and the trainer she has seen before. Somehow she stopped at Uunia's side as she felt a little bit more comfortable with him than some strangers she hasn't yet met. She waved her hand in a friendly motion as the man named Desmond Cale finished introducing himself. "What kind of hero would you be then?...Ahh, judging by the way you look I would say hero of skill" Her eyes traveled the man who apparently was in his 20s. In her favor, she saw a gun at his waist and smiled again, this time in victory.

Kayla sligtly rolled her eyes as Desmond started flirting with Blair, from the things that were known about Reaver this young man definitely seemed to be a relative of the old hero. "Well, it's nice to meet you both," she said before turning to see two other trainees approach, a young woman with white hair and a rough looking arrogant man. While the girl seemed kind Kayla got cautious as the white haired man spoke, not sure what to think of him really, but seeing as she had just met all four of them she couldn't make any judgements as of yet. "I'm Kayla Moroe," she said with a smile, directed to all four. As the girl question Desmond about his style she waited for his reply curiously, always eager to learn what new hero's came to the guild, though she was quite sure of his answer regarding his heritage.

Blair couldn't hold back the rush of heat that came to her cheeks. "Mr. Cale, training comes first, though perhaps some other time," she told him. "Anyway, son of Reaver? I can't wait to see your aim. Reaver is a great hero of skill, so hopefully you have inherited his abilities. I can't wait to see both of you in the arena."

She turned to Uunia, "They are indeed heroes. Hopefully you will get along." Blair made sure to give the other man a stern glance. "Anyway, hopefully none of you will get into any fights with eachother. After all, what use would heroes be if they can't stick together in a firm alliance?"

As she spoke, Raven had wandered over, wanting to see what the small crowd was talking about. She was stood nearby quietly.

Desmond's attention was drawn away from the shady looking hero when another came following close behind him. He wondered what such an adorable little thing would be doing in the company of such a dark looking man, maybe she was held against her will. Then again, he could have this guy all wrong. Surely mother wouldn't have bedded dear old dad if she'd known he was a cold-hearted sociopath who'd massacre his group of house-guests simply because he'd grown bored of their on-going mass orgy. Yeah, probably best to save judgment.

"It's a pleasure meet you too, miss Moroe. All of you", the young man said, then turned toward Ella and nodded, "I am a hero of skill, yes, although I doubt I could ever quite live up to my father's name.. " He trailed off, his thoughts returning to the man whose name his mother had cursed so many times, "Perhaps that's not such a bad thing though. I'm sure you'll see some similarities between the two of us, but.. I hope to prove that we're not entirely the same. "

"Your hopes for peace are shared, miss Blair", he said, flashing her another soft smile before taking a step closer to Uunia and offering him his hand once again, "I'll trust you not to leave a dagger in my back, you'll have my word as well. "

Brody retreated out of the circle of heroes for a moment. In awe. These were the people he wanted to compare to. He watched Desmond, knowing his master was trying not to blow the white-haired young mans brains out. Brody snickered at the thought, not like the guy didn't deserve it after that egotist performance. Oh well.