FABLE: The New Heroes

"Infamy...fame...all the markings of a well known man for the deeds he had done. In a way, it doesn't really matter. Whether by blood on my bow or by the lives it saves, I shall be remember won't I?" he said with a chuckle, "Really, it doesn't matter. As long as the action is done I don't care. Whether what I do is inately evil or not is up to opinion anyway." he said as they continued down the road, the night falling upon them swiftly as the were met with a mountain side medow, it covered with a gaint span of grass land and a few cottages in the distance. The road was more dirt than stone, but still showed the wear of a beaten path. As they walked, he continued to speak, "And I only act like a hard ass so no one will work with me. Less people get in the way, the less I have to worry about. As long as it's just me doing the dying then I feel a little less stressed."

He then pulled out his bow, he picking up on the change in the wind, a new smell in the air, "Also... if you haven't noticed, I took a particular style in the way I do things..." He pulledd an arrow from his quiver and then blocked her with it, "I was trained to use magic better than most, but I prefer this most of all. It's silent, deadly, unexpected, and easy to use...and of all the ways to kill, the least messy. " he knocked the arrow into his bow and kneeled down, weilding it in an assassin's like stance, aiming at what seemed to be a random bush, "Your first lesson. When and if you have to kill, and you don't want to make a scene, stay silent, stay calm, and when you strike-" he said as he let the arrow fire, "Don't miss..." and when the arrow struck, Uunia watched as it just seemed to stick out from the bush, but after a second, a body fell from it. It was an adult wolf, large in size and looking as if it had been trying to hunt them. The arrow was through the beast's skull, right in the middle. Uunia then nodded and looked to her, "Wolves hunt in packs. They are going to know this one's dead. We are going to stay out here in the open, and you're going to deal with the others that come." As he was talking a few wolves were already walking out from the brush, sniffing at there fallen comrade, "I'd be drawing that dagger if I were you." he said with a grin.

"Cranky? You haven't seen cranky. Your tongue is as active as the rest of you, I see. Anyway, it's fine Marcus. If everyone is ready, I think we'll take our leave now." Vince shrugged nonchalantly and led his students off towards the great halls. After a few minutes of walking he noticed that meek messenger boy, ah, what was his name? Adrien, Vince thought it was, walking with a fellow guildmate, Kurtran.

"What news does he bring us today, Kurt?" Vince called out, not trusting his memory to ask the Messenger boy directly.

----------------------------

Park, the bullmastiff, was enjoying the attention from Jace when a familiar scent caught his attention, and then another, one that told of potential adventures. Not wanting to leave his new friend, Park began to tug on Jace's pant leg before taking off towards where he thought the two scents were going to collide.

Jace stumbled, trying to catch his balance on the balls of his feet. "Hey!" He got up, breaking into a light jog after the dog. Besides, if he ran away from someone, the least he could do was keep track of the creature.

Axel raised a brow and snorted. But he didn't doubt the man one second. If a man wanted to prove he could be cranky, he'd all but turn into a raging woman. 'Now that I ought to see,' he thought to himself with a smirk. He followed the man and the others for the few minute-long walk when they came across a few people. Some kid, too lanky to really be called a trainee much less a trainer, stood there with two others. Axel drew up beside the trainer and slouched, shoving his hands in his pockets like he usually did.

"I can't even begin to say the same," was Desmond's cold reply, Nesku pulling up the collar of his cape a bit further. He shifted a blue-eyed gaze to Blair for a moment, a faint snort coming from the fabric. Despite the supposed insult, his voice was still polite, if coldly and barely so -- seems a trainer, at least, still had some degree of respect.

"I don't need help." Cold, but at least not nasty. "And you don't need to toss around pretend niceties. Either of you," he added, snapping a look to Desmond. "I'm here for training." Here he glanced to Blair again. "Nothing more. I don't want to be your friend or your companion."

That said, he pulled the cloak around him, turning on his heel to start out.

-----

"Not at all!" Kurtran chuckled, giving another smile to the clearly nervous messenger. "As long as you don't break or take anything, I'm sure no one will mind you have a little look around."

He glanced down, clicking his tongue uncomfortably. An overflow... and so many. That... really was bad news, more than bad, and he scratched his head a little, fingers lightly drumming on one of the two pistol grips tucked away on his waist.

"Well... we'll just definitely need to see about stopping them, won't we?"

Ella found herself smiling as Uunia talked, to her it was a surprise. She had thought he was the kind of man that would like to be silent but in the end he had proved her wrong, again. As soon as he got his bow out she looked around searching for the target but could not find one. What is he looking for she thought but didn't say it outloud in case there was an enemy hidden. He shoot at the bush and she raised an eyebrow in questioning until the body of a wolf fell. Impressive. Her left hand was already wrapped around the dagger when he told her to get it out. I would deal with the rest? she thought looking around, her eyes taking in four more wolves. They were surrounding them from each side, North, South, West, and East. These animals knew what they were up to but she grinned knowing that Uunia and her were yet more smarter. At least they were smaller than the one Uunia had killed who probably was their leader. Ella was closer to the one on the East. First target. Her mind was going through different scenarios of how to kill all four without putting Uunia or herself in danger.

Here I go. Ella looked at wolf standing at her West and with a quick motion she charged into at as it began to run after her. Her hand raised and came down on the wolf's head as it was trying to jump at her. It was a deadly blow and she knew it but kept moving. Her left hand was beginning to spark and she turned around swiftly, sending a lighting shock into the body of the wolf standing in the North. Two more, please do not let me fail this she thought as she looked at the other wolves. They were starting to round Uunia and she almost panicked but let it go. As the one on the East was beginning to run to Uunia, Ella ran as fast as she could and kicked the wolf in the stomach sending him flying to a near tree. By now she was beginning to sweat and pant, her foot hurted where she had kicked the animal. Damn, no time to whine now. In that brief moment where she hesitate the other wolf jumped into her and bit her right arm tightly. Pain shot through her but the anger she had by failing surpassed it and with her dagger in her left arm she aimed it at the wolf's neck and striked. After a few second, the wolf released her right arm. "I..." she was about to say she made it but fell to her knees, her head feeling light and woozy. There was blood running down her arm and the wolf's punctured could be seen. The wounds were not deep enough but needed to be tend in order for it not to get infected.

Uunia watched as Ella moved about, dispersing the wolves and for the most part, was impressed. She effectivly took out two of the wolves, incapacitated the others. He claped for her and smiled, "Good, sloppy but good." he said as he put away his bow and closed his eyes. The wolf that had been shocked and the wolf that had been kicked looked dazed, trying to get there barrings again as Uunia focused his mind. He mana lines glowed once more, in in some ways, started to break his skin more, showing the strain he was under performing the spell. Whe he opened his eyes, they were stark red as he spoke, "Dark lord...aid me in my retritbution...give me there life force to further my cause." he spoke he released the energy, it seeming to come forth from his finger tips and wrap around the wolves in a red velvet looking blast. Once it hit the wolves, it seemed as if nothing was goin to happen, and then, they dropped, falling down dead and leaving a large floating orb of light. The lines on Uunia's body then ceased there luminessence and he looked to Ella, "Go, grab them before they fade, it will heal any of those wounds anjd will restore a little bit of your energy." he said as he watched her, waiting on her to heed his commands. He spoke as she would go near, "Next lesson, when we strike, we are sure to kill, not maim. If you maim them then kill them, you allow them to suffer before there end. Even the most hardened warrior will give his foe a swift end...unless they have one hell of a hardened heart." he said as he popped his shoulder, "Heh, that was fun, considering it was a lesson." he said as he moved a little forward, looking to see if there were perhaps anymore wolves about, but heard none.

Ella nodded weakly at Uunia and stood up slowly her legs slightly shaking. After a brief moment of standing she began to walk where the nearest orb was floating above the body of a dead wolf. Her arm stretched outward, her fingerstips brushing against the orb and quickly it dissolve into her. Instantly, Ella began to feel better and when she looked at her injured arm, her wounds were starting to close at a slow pace. Then, she moved to the other orb and did the same until she was almost back to normal. "Yes, Sir, kill next time. Got it" she mumbled in a monotone voice as her mind came with possibilities of to why he summoned the dark lord or why his eyes were red. She knew that she had to be afraid but she wasn't which was the thing that scared her off the most. I am probably hallucinating. As she finished she looked up at him blankly"Let's continue with our mission". He could have gotten harm by her small mistake.The guilt weighted down on her.

he watched as she grabbed the healing orbs and nodded, "Good, just don't call me sir...just feels wiered to hear that..." he said as he forged on, he knowing her eyes were on him but not carring. His actions were valid, healing her for doing a good job. As far as he saw it, it was a good start to things so far. "Alright, third, when we do kill, it's going to eat at you. Granted, those wolves were one thing, but killing a bandit or even another hero is a whole different story." he said as he moved to one of the dead wolves and checked it, finding a something rather peculiar, a green gem that sparkled despite the blood splattered on it, "Third, be sure to check the dead. They tend to leave a few gifts..." he said as he pocketed the gem and looked to her, "Anything you find is yours to keep. Just be sure not to pick up TOO much. It's not like we're pack mules." he said with a chuckle as they made there way through the brush.

Once on the other side of the meadow and more in the forest, he took more cautious steps, his eyes constantly looking about as he pulled up his cowl, making his presence hard to see in the more shadowy areas. He looked to her, giving her a signal to hush, seeing as how the place was a big bandit area. The road itself refelected it, showing dark patches int the road where blood had been spilled, small holes with round metal mukset balls that lay on the ground, and the smell of stale mead was around. They were getting close to the bandit camp, and Uunia was not going to have his 'student' fall pray to such vandals.

Ella felt like she was loosing or changing part of herself already. She hated killing things and much less humans. It was part of the job of being a hero and she needed to get over it but it was so new that she did not know how to handle it. The only thing she knew was to follow and finish her mission, nothing more. That is what she intended to do and hopefully as time progresses, the fears she had now would disappear or lessen. Uunia was talking about finding small treasures when her enemies died and she nodded, absorbing every bit of information. The landscape was changing and the sky kept getting darker the only lights were the stars and the full moon. On Uunia's signal she stopped completely her eyes sweeping the area carefully, calculating every tree and bush. As she looked down the path she noticed dark stains she guessed was blood. Must be bandits or more animals. But the smell of mead gave it away. Bandits she thought and bit her lip nervously. I guess this is were I face my fears...

Marcus shook his head slightly, turning to follow Vince. Clearly Axel didn't make a great first impression with him. Silently, he accompanied the group towards their destination, coming to a halt along with the others as they reached the hall. He stared at Adrien curiously, wondering himself what could possibly be up.

Whatever it is, it's probably more interesting than meditation training, he thought, a small smirk forming on his scarred face.

-------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Evelyn had just finished checking her inventory for the second time that day, and had now taken up the chore of sweeping the floor in the guild shop, finding herself at a loss of any other meaningful task to perform.

She sighed, ceasing her cleaning momentarily to wipe a small bead of sweat from her brow with the back of her hand. Well… I guess he didn't steal anything this time, but that doesn't mean I should be dropping my guard around him anytime soon, she thought silently, thinking back to Uunia's recent visit.

She shot a glance out the window, noticing how the once busy training yard had started to empty out, and how the sun had come down significantly. That's odd, feels like it was just afternoon… usually time doesn't fly by that fast when it's this dull.

Shrugging, Evelyn resumed her sweeping duties. Maybe I should just close up early. Haven't had too many customers today anyways…

While turning to follow Vince down the stairs Kayla noted Axel's drastic change in his behaviour, switching easily between friendly and serious as if it was nothing and though his first impression had not been the best he did seem interesting to get to now. Noticing the two men ahead, one trainee as herself and the messenger, wasn't his name Adrien, that often came with to the Guild though she did not really know him, he looked quite worried and in a hurry and Kayla wondered what could be so urgent.

Perhaps it was an interesting quest, the balverine quest had been taken quickly but now maybe there was a chance for some action, to see how her much she'd learned, she couldn't remember the last time she'd been on a quest and the excitement gripped her, perhaps meditation would be put off as well Kayla thought with a slight inward smirk. Not that she didn't believe in Vince's methods, it just seemed dull.

Raven looked up a Brody, a slightly shocked expression on her face. She was speechless for a few moments before she started laughing. "Oh lord no!" she replied, "No, my father's name is Daniel!" Raven laughed a little bit more. "No offense to Reaver, but I'm sure you'd notice if I were his child."

She stopped laughing and looked at him. "I'm sorry, it was quite rude of me to laugh..." she said, a little embarassed.

~~~~

Adrien smiled and bowed a little. "No sir! I would never break or take anything from the heroes!" he said enthusiastically. The enthusiasm left after a few moments, once again being washed over by nervousness.

"Um... Sir?" Adrien asked, his voice quiet. "Do you think...I could go to fight hollow-men with you guys? Or at least... Tag along to maybe help citizens...?"

Barely avoided meditation, Axel thought with a mental sigh of relief.

Sitting for hours inside his mind wouldn't do at all. But this quest-sounding situation sounded a little awesome. He thought idly what weapon he should use. More than likely, he'd have to use his cannon sooner or later, so his bag would be good at the moment. Otherwise, he could just use the guns in his pockets. Less chance of his arm being exposed., even though that meant having less fun. Should be worth it. Be nice to see what everyone else in this place had to offer.

Desmond watched as the boy walked away, unsure of how to take him. He was cold, but lacked that look that made you expect a knife in your back, like with Uunia. Nesku just seemed like more of a brat than a villain. He'd be sure to give him some space when he could, anyway. Never know when something you say or do could cut a bad thread and make someone snap.

"That wasn't all too pleasant, now was it?", he asked, turning to face Blair, "Not at all like you, miss Blair." So much he wanted to say, none of it nice. He shook his head, clearing out those thoughts. "Well, I'm thinking perhaps I'd like to go purchase a blade of my own", Desmond said, offering the training sword back to her, "I prefer to put my mark down before he even realizes I'm there, but I understand that's not always going to be an option. Would you please show me to the nearest trading post?"

Vince twitched, growing evermore sick of this day. He lifted his hand up and created a ball of fire, no bigger than an adult males eyeball, and flicked it at Kurt, attempting to set the mans pants on fire.

Brody laughed. "No, no, it's fine. I'm constantly berating Master Desmond for taking after his father so much. His mother did what she could with him, but there's only so much you can do with Hero's blood." He chuckled slightly. 'Oh wait..' He facepalmed. "No offense to or anything!" Brody sputtered out, mentally kicking himself.

Park lept down the hall until he noticed the scents had finally met and he increased his pace. The dog spared a look back to make sure Jace was still following and then set his sight back on his goal. He saw the light at the end of the hall and then he was in the Great Hall. He spotted his master, Vincent de La Forge, and noticed his palm was glowing with fire. Happily, Park bounded for his owner.

Axel watched as the man tried to decimate the other and politely turned toward Marcus, motioning to Vince with a flourish. "See? You'll end up doing that to innocent people. You seem like a good guy... I'm sure you don't want to end up like a tyrant."

Axel couldn't help it. The guy was awesome to mess with. He knew he'd pay for it later, but hey, why not live in the moment?

The sound of feet running toward them made him pause with a raised brow, seeing a large dog-like creature making headway toward them. Someone was following the dog and he looked up to see Jace slowing into a walk. He looked a tad annoyed.

Jace glowered. Running around inside wasn't the best thing to do; it was against appearances. But great Lord, that dog was too energetic. Whoever he belonged to, they needed to train it a smidgen better. He saw the intended target of the dog and narrowed his eyes. No wonder the dog was so impulsive...its master was a hot head himself. About to open his mouth to say something, he stopped short, noticing that it was a tiny gathering of sorts.

"What's going on?" he questioned.

"That's what I'd like to know."

"That's what I'd like to know," Gauss piped up. Seeing Jace nearly jump a foot into the air and aim a well-placed glare at him, Gauss grinned lopsidedly and ruffled the younger man's hair. He looked up to see the irritated look on Vincent's face and sidled up to him. Leaning unabashedly on the man, he nodded curtly to Axel before practically falling over Vincent. "Hey buddy~!"

In the Guild, most knew Gauss was hardly ever a serious person. Whenever he was, it was regarded as a fluke, or the situation was seriously dire. Otherwise, they just had a near seven-foot , forty-three year old child. Gauss smirked inwardly, knowing his antics would no doubt piss the other man off. He heard a snort from behind and he grinned back at Axel before proceeding to rock his weight back and forth, taking Vincent with him.

"Buddy~!" He warbled, unable to contained the laugh at the end.

Jace gaped slightly at the scene and slapped a palm to his face. Seriously? Two of them? Axel was enough stress but his own mentor? Will madness ever cease?!

"Well... Welcome to the Guild anyway..." Blair said quietly as Nesku walked out. Blair nodded, smiling a little. "Ah, you'd be surprised at all the different charcters we get in the Guild." She laughed a little, looking after him. He would need help, she was sure. Then again, maybe it would be best if she left him alone unless he ever had a question. "Ah, anyway, you should go see the blacksmith," she said, "Or Miss Evelyn maybe. She may have a a spare blade."

She smiled, "Which would you like to go to?"

~~~

"No offense taken, young master Brody," she replied, laughing gently. She stopped laughing for a moment and looked over at him. "Ah, does Mr. Cale through parties like the ones I hear Reaver throws?" Raven blushed suddenly. "No... Um... I'm sorry about all the questions!"

"I'm sure I would. I've met all sorts of characters around Bowerstone, just trying to decide who I'd invite to my parties. I can only imagine what sort of people I'd meet at a guild for heroes", Desmond said with a little chuckle, moving his arms behind his back like he had earlier when so many had gathered in one place. He was just about to agree to seeing the blacksmith, thinking that a large sum of extra gold could encourage the smith to make his blade something special, but then he heard that name..

Evelyn.. He knew of one Evelyn, one of his old house guests. Perhaps there was some chance it was the same girl. It might be nice to catch up, he thought, "I think I'd like to visit this miss Evelyn. I feel like I may know her." In truth, he was probably very wrong about how nice catching up might be. There were things he didn't remember right away, that the girl would likely be very sore about. Ah well, it probably wasn't the same person, anyway. There are probably tons of women named Evelyn.

While Kurt was certainly a friendly sort, while relaxing, he wasn't always the most... observant. Oh sure, put him in a battle and nothing escaped his sight, but somewhere safe he wasn't quite as guarded.

Meaning that not only was Vince's question not noticed, but the fireball set his pants alight, causing a fairly girly shriek as he attempted to pat it out. He blinked rapidly, looking around for the source --

-- oh. OH.

"Hoi, Vince," Kurtran replied, laughing quietly and embarrassingly, waving at the other man. "What is it?"

Not wanting to ignore the messenger, he glanced down thoughtfully for a moment.

"I would personally say the more help the better, myself -- especially if you can help protect those who can't fight."

"Hm?" Blair murmured curiously. She smiled and shrugged. "Perhaps, come along. It's this way," she said, beginning to lead the way to Evelyn's small stall. She hoped the girl had some new blades in stock."

Blair thought for a moment. Maybe she should ask for a cutlass from the blacksmith. He owed her, since she had worked with him when she had first come to the guild. She turned to Desmond then. "Any sort of blade you're looking for in specific?"

~~~

Adrien stared blankly, his eyes widened somewhat in shock, as the other man's pants caught fire. "For the love of Avo, you were on fire!" he half-shouted. "I'd be mortified!"

Adrien put a hand on his chest and took a few deep breaths. He was nervous as it was without people catching on fire. He sighed a little. "Anyway, I would love to help..." he said quietly.