FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Got a Sci-fi/Science fantasy idea. Inspired by EV Nova, Star Trek and Farscape, probably will be reminiscent of any show where the main cast lives on their ship.

Setting:
In an indeterminate time in the future, humanity has expanded forth into the Galaxy. The RP will be a bit of adventure as we go through dangerous shipping lanes. Our ship being notorious for its power often becomes a target for pirates and governmental forces alike.

latest

The Polaris Raven, a ship modified by her captain/best friend, Tre'Ariel, to be blue and white rather than purple and black, respectively. Her name is Jameson.

The bulk of the crew is made up of Firsts, people who have one adventure on the ship and are usually finished after that single adventure. Those who do stick around, become Long-Haulers, and are primarily made up of the Mercenary Corps, a group led by an active general of the polaris military, few men under him are non-polaris.

The ship struggles to maintain a level of cohesion culturally, the efforts to make sure everyone gets along and the mission runs smoothly are led by the human Chris, second in command only to Tre'Ariel. His true title is commander, but he is the acting captain in all but name.

The ship has diplomatic immunity in many systems, with authorities not even bothering to stop them, knowing them by reputation. The governments that do not like them attempt to bring them in, using any excuse, often finding out too late, their mistake.

Ship Demographics
More than half of the ship's crew are simply cargo jockeys, they are all Firsts who disembark once arriving, not coming back on the ship for further runs until maybe a later time. They are a mish-mash of various species and cultures from different backgrounds, their shifting population is different from every port as it is simply whoever is lying around and wants to join, training them to use the equipment on the way.

There are 37 members of the mercenary corps on board, only five members are not Polaris.

One doctor for the crew (Aritifical intelligence/robot), one doctor for the ship itself (Must be Polaris), and three nurses.

Three maintenance crew (One slot filled)

Three kitchen staff.

One Counselor (Must be at least half human) Taken by MandaPanda

Technology:

Most jobs are automated in this advanced society, the primary purpose of the cargo jockeys being to encourage spaceports to allow Tre'Ariel and Jameson to land peacefully, as they will spend a significant amount of money once they land, and their cargo is generally very valuable and sold at comparatively low prices.

Solid projectile weapons are favored as any weapon that uses energy projectiles would do more damage simply using the amount of energy to launch a piece of metal at someone, and they don't have the problem of ricocheting off of any reflective material. Gauss railguns are popular among human to human battles, however weapons are nearly nonexistent on the ship, as violent crime is completely nonexistent with the exception of the captain.

Energy projectiles are in use on space ships, solely in ship to ship combat, primarily because of their abilities to pierce energy shields.

Races:

Knowing all the races in the galaxy would be akin to being able to name every species on Earth, it is simply not feasible, and as crew members are picked up from everywhere, there is no saying what race takes up a majority of the crew.

Open to race suggestions, but here is a list of ones I haave already made.

Polaris: The Polaris are a race of empaths who upon coming out into space found a race of monstrous creatures who fly through asteroid fields, their bodies able to be contained in warp bubbles. They took this mighty race and befriended them, cybernetically enhancing them, and other species in the ecosystem of the grand creatures. Their empathy leads them to having trouble with how other species communicates, and as such they are terrible at diplomacy other than being an advisor. They have dramatically dark skin and white hair as a mane, silky and smooth. Their eyes are exclusively dark brown, and both males and females look effeminate by human standards. They live to be three hundred years old on average.

Vell Os: the Vell Os are a race of psychics who can will structures into existence. They weave their ships from psychic energy as well as their weapons. They are related to the Polaris, and are indiscernible by anyone but other empaths and psychics, unless one were to dissect their brain. They are as haughty as one would expect a race to be if the average member could rival space age technology on their mind alone. They live to be 200 years old on average. (All Vell Os slots first)

Humans: Humans are a very empathetic race, able to band species together through their diplomatic skills and their abilities to sympathize with any species. Human crew members are considered to be invaluable on any ship with any amount of diversity. Most require a pet to be truly content.

Any member of the Star Trek Federation (Not any race in the star trek universe, only the federation member races)

The Big Idea
Pretty much what it says in the title, we are to have our adventure, and whatever we do, we must not wake the captain who sleeps a ridiculous amount. Anyone who wakes the captain gets a 10% pay dock, up to 50% though he pays enough that a 50% pay dock is still more than you would earn on most other ships in the same position (or even a promoted position) this is to have elements of adventure, slice of life, with a sprinkling of action.

How to join this RP.
If you're interested, post in this thread and link to a sample of your writing and post a character whose race is one of the listed above and has been on the ship for at least 5 years. I would like anyone who wants to join be at least intermediate in their writing, and it would be best if you could reply daily, not gonna boot you if you don't, but that would be best to prevent loss of interest. If you wish for a race to be included in this that you do not see above, either post here asking, or PM me. A description of attributes applicable to the race in general is the minimum requirement, bonus points for specifics and pictures. As an RP this broad is bound to have some sexual content, applicants should be 18+, sorry.

5/6 slots filled.

Last edited:
Consider me interested. I want a slot! You know my writing level, I think I pass. XD

Yes, you do pass, is there a race you wanted to add?

All right, we have three of us, let's start plotting some stuff out, is there anything specific we want about the journey, any episodes of any space farin show we want to model it after and so forth?

Oh, ok, two things, one, this is going to be turn based, we can slot you in and shuffle around it, and two the captain can interupt at any point, not me in particular, but the captain, and when the captain interrupts, post order reverses, this is to allow the people who the captain would be speaking to to reply first.

Ok, so future plot points

Recurring:
  • Pirates

One Offs:
  • Space Weed (Captain gets high, due to psychic powers, takes us all into his bad trip)
  • Polaris General visit
  • Republic
  • Opposing psychic
  • Tickler (Space Worm)
  • Droids

Last edited:
Any contributing ideas would be helpful.

I"ll take the Robot Doctor. If you need a writing sample....

[/Arryn sat at a table away from the bar with her back to the wall. She usually chose such a seat, so that she could see everyone, and know where everyone was in relation to herself. If someone were to ask why, she'd likely just shrug and maybe attribute it to habit, but the truth was that she didn't like the idea of being surprised. No one could sneak up on her this way, and that's exactly the way she liked it.

She held a thick piece of wood in her hands and a sharp knife. The wood was beginning to have the look of something that only she could see hidden within it's depths, but it was far from complete. Whittling relaxed and pleased her, so on times like this when they were on land she tended to create little figures, or carvings for fun. Sometimes she sold them, sometimes not.

She looked up at Saethos when he began singing, and lifted a brow. He was a happy sort of person, she'd give him that. If truth be told, she was envious of his ability to embrace life's joy with such abandon. She'd been with this crew for quite a while, and she'd come to think of them as family, though she'd imagine all of them would be surprised to know it. sharing times like this was not her usual habit, though it had little to do with them. She enjoyed their company when she had the chance of it, but she held herself back from them as well. Until she knew if the wishes were reality, and if they would work, she would likely keep to her solitary habits. No sense hurting people.

She wasn't quite as tispy as the others, mostly because the barmaid didn't always bring more around to her with every new round Saethos ordered. She had a fair tolerance though, so she wasn't even bleary yet. She saw the captain not far from her watching as he always did, though he seemed to be a bit foggy as well. She wasn't ever sure what to make of him, to be honest. He kept a little distance as well, but she doubted for the same reasons.

Without realizing it her foot was tapping along to the music as she whittled and carved away the excess from the wood that was hiding the eagle within. The basic form was there now, and she sheathed the knife and pulled out a smaller tool and began making tiny feathers on the wings. Biting her lip and scrunching her face up a bit she leaned into the sculpture as she worked, taking her time to get every detail perfect.

She looked up when Min left and she waved an absent hand to her as she passed. She'd be glad of the fresh supplies when they were back on board. She looked at the eagle and frowned. She probably should be making more productive use of her time as well. Drat Min and her work ethic. She sighed a heavy, sad kind of breath and walked over to the captain's table and set the eagle down, "Keep an eye on that for me?' she asked, "Please?"

She looked at it longingly, but shook it off and then turned her attention to the captain, "Do you ahve any special projects for this trip?" she asked, "Or shall I just get the normal load of wood for repairs?" Sometimes they made furniture pieces or added beds for extra crew. She never knew until the captain announced it. This might be one of those times she might have a bit of heads up before hand.

Writing looks good, I'll have to find where the character sheets are because Manda made the page and I apparently didn't put it on this thread, will be fixing that momentarily.

Apparently... Character sheets are recommended, but not required *feels like a bad GM*

Still open for extra partners, we can slot you in at almost any time, just after one in RP day passes.

I would be interested in playing Maintenance Crew.

Some of my work: https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/postapocalyptic-fixer-and-werewolf-ysoldexsaberwolf.158855/

Name: Arisawa Chou-McFadden

Physical Description: Arisawa is a well rounded woman of shorter stature. She is 4 feet and 7 inches tall weighing about 160 pounds. Her skin is a light shade of brown with a mix of freckles about her. She has dark red hair and brown eyes with almond shaped eyes. At 43 years old she hardly shows her age at all without laugh lines, wrinkles, or silver in her hair. She keeps herself fit and has the eye of someone who has won numerous marksman awards.

Mental Description: Arisawa is a navy girl through and through. She can put a tone in her voice that commands attention from nearly anyone who hears her, switch tones to show respect for a commanding officer, or word a suggestion to a newbie Lieutenant that usually makes them realize they are about to make a boneheaded mistake. She's strong under pressure and doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. She also has an extendend vocabulary of swears that she pulls out for special occasions both in Chinese and Gaelic.

Ship Role: Chief Electronics Technician (Reactor): The Chief Petty Officer in charge of the reactor is responsible for the proper functioning of the reactor as well as training junior officers and leading her division of sailors and petty officers. Chief Petty officer is the highest non-commissioned rank and it takes years of service to reach that grade. A smart graduate from the Naval academy knows to lean on their chief petty officer for their years of service and knowledge of ship's systems.

@Ysolde It is a polaris ship, meaning two things, one: it is alive, maintenance's job would be a mix between doctor, counselor and welder for the spots that the little repair bots can't get into, there are little electronics jobs around the ship, but there isn't a person in charge of maintaining THE reactor because electricity is caused by small generators that are powered by the ships pumping of its blood. There are backup systems that you could maintain, but the main generators are kept running by little bots that go through the ship's bloodstream and help check on its vitals as well as do maintenance.

And two, the only people onboard holding a military rank are polaris.

I forgot to put the ship's doctor on the list (not to be confused with the ship doctor) So, you could be the ship's Doctor if you still want to have a primary role in maintaining ship power, but you would have to be polaris.
EDIT: The Polaris on the EV Nova wiki have a caste system and I decided not to include this for simplicity reasons.

Last edited:
Alright never mind then.

I'm interested. Let me find a sample and get your approval before I make a character. Speaking of, I'd also like to talk to you about a possible race. But, again, I'll wait until after your judgement.

Buras gave a look to the skies, waiting for something to happen. And when nothing happened, he nodded in acknowledgment of the Ancient's will and began walking towards the door and back to the forge, like Magana was so eager to do. "You look uneasy, Magana. And I would have thought you wouldn't be phased. I was the one talking to them after all, and I'm the one that questioned them when I was accepted as Lord Delegate. I have more to fear then you do, I doubt they get mad at people simply through association." He told her as they made their way back to the forge, him walking quickly to compensate for his shorter strides. That and he wanted to be away from that place. He may have talked boldly, but he was just as shaken as Magana by the whole thing. The gods had decided to talk to him? If he wanted to, he could have that written down in his clan's histories and archive it to prove that he was the best of the leaders and as a reason to rule. But he didn't want to, and he prayed no one but him and Magana knew about his short chat with the Ancients.

Upon arrival at the forge, he sees a letter in a creamy colored envelope, sealed with wax that had the symbol of Clan Yurick. "Now that was quick." he muttered as he picked up the letter, already guessing who had written him and what it was about. But he would read it at a later time, right now he had teaching to do. So he tucked the letter away on the inside of his apron, protecting it from the harsh heat of the forge and any sparks that would try and set it on fire.

"I banked the coals slightly before I left, so we shouldn't have to much work to get it back up to heat. Get back on the bellows, a few good puffs and some coal and we'll be right where we left off." he told her, gesturing once more to the billows as he got ready with the coals. Once that was done, he looked at Magana and said. "Now that we have the forge heated, we can begin. I should have a piece I'm working on for a close friend with my things. I'll show it to you as a goal for you to reach." Smoothly he went to several rows of hooks and grabbed a bag. And from that bag, he pulled out an elaborately worked and decorative sphere. Looked from one side it could be argued that the sphere was supposed to resemble a head. But looking at the different sides, you could easily tell that that wasn't the case. "All they told me was that they wanted a more solid document of their clan's history. And that is what this is. From their founding all the way to when he commissioned it. I have only added what is important to their clan, there's far to much for me to engrave if I was to put everything. Currently I'm finishing up the focal point," here he tapped the gold and silver face "and then I'm going to have it delivered to a craftsman so they can inlay jade into these grooves right here. Once that's done they'll deliver it back to me and I'll begin engraving the jade myself and fill them with silver. By the time I'm finished with that it'll be mostly completed. From there some detailing and polishing will round it out and make it presentable."

"But you are just starting, so you will not be attempting anything like this for possibly years to come. No one will go to you for commissioned pieces, they will come to me. And even then you won't lay a hand on these pieces unless it's to polish the finished product. For now, you will be doing things that everyone comes to a smith for. Horse shoes, nails, farming equipment like a shovel head, and repairs. But you won't even be able to do that if you don't know what you are doing." With that, he began his lesson in forging. From properly heating metals to what specific parts of the anvil were used for as well as what hammers to use when. "Are there any questions so far?" he asked, taking a short pause in between describing when to dip metal in oil, brine, or water to treat it.