Sometimes, life could be a bitch, and, for Sage at least, life was giving him a real good kicking.

It was true that Jasper couldn't overlook the heavy hinting any further. It had past the point of subtlety long ago and the blatancy finally allowed him to stare across at Sage with that look of understanding for the first time-- but then that moment was ruined by the phone going off. Jasper hadn't looked appalled or horrified or disgusted, but his reaction was undetermined because the phone had interrupted him before he could let a real expression form to show how he felt.

And then came the real sore point. As he handed the phone to Sage to deal with the businessperson on the other end of the line, Jasper had gotten up to sort some files just as Amelia entered to place down a few papers. Jasper saw it as the perfect opportunity to confront her about her 'flirting' and 'sexual behaviour' and so slipped out of the office behind her. Inevitably, he'd soon realise that Sage had spun him a bunch of lies and his feelings for Amelia would just kickstart again.

Simply, nothing was ever simple for Sage when it came to confessing his feelings, and this was yet another twist in the road.

Sage watched as the two left feeling nothing but rage boiling up. He growled and then quickly covered it by clearing his throat as he handled the business on the phone.

Meanwhile, outside of the office, Amelia's eyes widen at the confront. "What? Excuse me, Mr. Davenport but I do not flirt with any man especially on the job. I'm far to professional for that. What ever gave you that idea?" She asked, her arms crossed and her eyes narrowed.

He didn't really appreciate the way this little whore was speaking to him and, if not for the confusion he was hit with, he would have made her pay for such insolence. He didn't mind people challenging him if they had a reason, but he just found her attitude grating-- though, admittedly, rather admirable. She knew who his family were and what power they had, and yet she stilll defended herself with confident authority. It was hard not to find that impressive.

"I was told that you made it a hobby of yours to flaunt yourself in front of men in this building. Men who are, say, in high positions with aspirations and who don't need you belittling yourself like a little whore-- I was told this took place and I was slightly saddened because I felt we... had a connection. I certainly don't plan on spending my valuable time with a slut. It's bad enough you're just a secretary and not something more... worthwhile.

Of course, she was stunned to hear this. It was demeaning and degrading how he spoke to her. Her glare hardened on Jasper, holding back the urge to smack him across the face. "....Mr. Davenport, I advise you to not belittle me. I am not a whore, what you heard was simple rumors. And yes, I am a secretary, and I hold my title with pride. I worked hard to get where I am and I don't need you decrying me because you hold some powerful surname. I take my offer back about going to get some coffee. I too thought we had a connection, but I was greatly mistaken." Growled the thin woman, before storming off to finish her work.

She may be short and thin, but she had the attitude of a man six feet tall. She wasn't about to let anyone walk all over her. Davenport or not, she knew her worth, and she knew she would not take her name being dragged through the mud like that. Ugh, and to think she even liked that guy! He was just like the rest entitled rich jerks she had to put up with all her life.

For a second or two, Jasper stood rooted to the spot in genuine shock. Nobody, and that meant NOBODY had ever spoken to him like that in his life. He was a Davenport - that name alone usually demanded respect and exuded authoritativeness. He was born into the world and deserved respect right from that day to the day he took his final breath. To be ridiculed and belittled by a little secretary of all people was downright disgusting.

He didn't quite believe the way she had spoken to him, but he was also confused. She had said that it was all rumours, all make belief, but she would say that, wouldn't she? If he did theoretically believe her, that meant his best friend had been lying to him, and he saw no reason why Sage would contemplate doing that.

So yes, he was confused-- especially when he found his anger fading and replaced with admiration. It was hard for him to accept that, but yes, he found it admirable that Amelia had spoken to him like that. It wasn't right of her and he ought to be furious, but... well, it was good to see a girl with a backbone.

Sage sat in his office, finally hanging up with the business call. He grimaced when he noticed Jasper hadn't yet come back. Standing up, he straightened his tie and walked out of his office. As he walked out, he saw Amelia angrily storming past him, walking to the break room. Smirking slightly at her anger, he went to go find Jasper.

Seeing him, he smiled brightly at his best friend. "Jasp, what took you so long. I began to think you ditched me~" Whined the man, moving to grab a paper cup from the water fountain and fill it up.

"...That girl is deluded. I honestly think she has a screw loose in that head of hers. The way she spoke to me was appalling, I've never had someone talk to me like that. I was one second away from smashing her head against the wall behind her and watching her bleed out," the other admitted, the fact he was speaking so violently not being that surprising. As teenagers, the two had often sat at lunch, talking about how, one day, they would have the whole city in their hands, so speaking like this really wasn't so surprising.

He would never talk like this with anyone but Sage, and only when they were alone. Sage had a reputation to protect. The people in Snowvale couldn't know their mayor was a violent psychopath, could they?

"I didn't do that, of course. Far too messy. She refused to admit what you said was true, it was laughable. The little whore's a good liar, you know. I'd have fallen for her lies if you weren't the one to tell me them. I believe you."

"Well, she has to be a good liar, she works for me. Being a good liar is in the job description." Joked the man, as he swallowed the water as he leaned on the wall. "Listen, Jasp, don't fall for her lies. I mean, you could ask any of the men around here~" He smirked, knowing they would agree. For one, a lot of men had asked her out. She denied them all, and they were all still bitter about it.

Sage, of course, thought this through well. Yes, Amelia was a bump in the road, but she was a minor bump. She wouldn't stop Jasper from being with him. Nothing will. Jasper was his, and his alone.

"...I found her interesting, though. I know she's a disgusting little liar and I shouldn't pay her any notice, but Sage, nobody ever speaks to me like that. She knows who I am, she must know what I did to my sister too because it was in all the papers, but... but she still spoke to me like that. She defended herself with such vivacity and passion and... I found her terribly entertaining," the man admitted suddenly, staring off into space as he rethought and reexamined the interaction in his head, that same small smile appearing to lift at the corner of his lips the more he remembered how her cheeks grew red in anger, how her eyes shone when she got so passionate and loud...

Oh, she was definitely on his mind now.

"I disgust myself that I'm remotely interested in such a disgusting person, but... I don't know, she's incredibly intriguing to me."

He was going to kill that bitch himself. Watching his best friend go all...Weird for this girl was really pissing him off. Jasper never, not once ever looked at him like that! He never spoke about him like that he never...Did anything like what he's doing now like that! And it was over some ugly little whore, who was just so damn plain?! Are you fucking kidding me. His discolored eyes glared harshly at his best friend, as he tossed his paper cup into the trash.

"Obviously, you've gone mad. I don't want to speak to you for the rest of the day. You disgust me. You are not Jasper Davenport." Hissed Sage as he went to his office. Like hell was he going to sit here and listen to how 'admirable' that skank was. She was trash. Trash needed to be disposed of. And Sage was going to make sure she was.

Jasper knew that his friend would think him disgusting for his apparent fascination in this secretary. Jasper disgusted himself with it. Even though the girl wasn't whorish, she was still a humble secretary, from a social class far, far beneath his. That reason alone was one that should have turned him off her, but it just wasn't. For someone so beneath him to speak as she did only made him more interested in her.

Even though he'd clearly pissed his closest friend away. He had no idea that Sage had more than just that reason, that he loved Jasper and couldn't stand him acting like this to someone who wasn't him. He just thought his friend was disgusted Jasper liked someone so... low. And he didn't understand how he was supposed to rectify this. He couldn't pretend he wasn't interested in Amelia, but the more interested he was, the more Sage would dislike him and the situation.

He was in a pickle, and he really didn't feel comfortable with it.

"...Are you honestly mad at me because I find a girl interesting? How can I help it?" He began as he trailed after him, his frown returning to his face. "...Tell me what to do, Sage. I won't allow you to be mad at me. We've been apart for years, let's not... bicker like children."

He wanted to yell, 'Then kill the little skank, and I'll forgive you!' But he couldn't do that. He glared at his friend as he sat down. "Stop talking about her, stop talking to her. It's disgusting and nauseating. I really hate her." Growled the man, thinking he was just going to fire her. Then that was one less problem. Typing away on his computer, he refused to speak to Jasper again.

He just...Ignored all the hints he thrown at him! Sage basically said he loved him and wanted to be with him! Yet he ignored this! Or he was too dull to sense it! And that was beyond frustrating!

For once in his life, Jasper was angry at the other man. Truly angry. Even when he felt like he had been abandoned, he hadn't been too angry at him, but now... now he was. He didn't understand how he was being shouted at when Sage had had sex with a whore from a nightclub. Surely that was far worse than the simple intrigue Jasper had for this secretary; a woman Sage himself had said was good at her job. She was relatively respectable-- more so than a disgusting man from a club, anyway.

"...I understand. Thank you for the insight," he simply commented in that robotic fashion he was infamous for-- except, he had never ever shown that to Sage. Even when they first met, he had found himself relaxing in the boy's company because he thought they were similar. Yet, he shut that down now, treating him like he treated most people. If Sage was going to rant at him, he was going to treat him like this.

Glaring at the tone of voice he had, Sage slammed his hands down on his desk, standing from his desk to glare at him. He barely ever got out of character, but Jasper was really taking him there. "What the fuck is so interesting than a little slut?! I am far more interesting! I have the titles, I have the money, I have everything Jasper! What in the fuck could she possibly have that I don't?!" He growled out, letting out before he could hold it back.

Once realizing what he said, he grabbed his jacket and keys. "....Obviously...I need some air." Grumbled the man, and left the tension-filled office, slamming the door. He was more than pissed off. He...He couldn't get it through to his dense friend that he was in love with him! And this idiot falls for some stupid skank?! Just like that?!

He may be dense, to the point of it being almost unbelievable, but even an idiot would understand that, from Sage's words, the infamously powerful man was in love with him.

And it was something that knocked Jasper back.

All the time they had spent together, he began to reexamine. Every time Sage complimented him, every time he comforted Jasper when he was down... he loved him through all of that?

No wonder he got so furious with Jasper's apparent infatuation with Amelia.

Though, what was Jasper honestly supposed to do about it? In this city, a mayor coming out with a boyfriend was career ending. It was sad, but it would be in the papers and it might just lose Sage his job, however powerful he was. And Jasper didn't even know how he felt about him. It was just... confusing.

Yes being gay was career ending, Sage knew this. He knew all of this. But he couldn't help if he fell in love with Jasper. He loved Jasper long before he became mayor. Long before he had become the boss of the mafia. He fell in love with him at the tender age of twelve. So for the love he had for him to not die meant it was real. He couldn't ignore his feelings, and he certainly couldn't ignore that bitch coming in between them.

• Thank You
Reactions: potassiumboron
For hours, Jasper didn't return to the place he now called home alongside Sage. He didn't want to for a variety of reasons, mostly because he wasn't entirely comfortable facing Sage with the realisation that the other man loved him. In the end, though, with the rain pelting down and the wind being so strong that it became too much of a pain to fight against it with his umbrella, the man returned to the warmth of the mayor's home. He had wandered around the city, hoping somebody would recognise him and tell a friend so the fact Jasper Davenport was back would spread... but nobody did. He couldn't blame them for not knowing him, though. He had also passed by his old family home, a large, grand home in the city, hoping to see his father and mother... but, alas, that didn't come to be either. He would wait until Sage was Governor before he became known again. It would be worth the long wait.

However, he couldn't wait any longer before returning back to see Sage, even though he had waited all day to avoid it. Calmly passing by him, he took a seat in the other armchair opposite the fire to warm up a little, drinking a whiskey to help with that.

"I apologise for being late home, it's... rather rude of me not to tell you I was busy. I... was sightseeing. It's been a while since I had the chance to see the city, I was drinking it all in."

Sage was seated in his leather armchair by the fire, on his Kindle as he read a book. He didn't even look up when Jasper came in. "Jasper, you weren't sightseeing, you were avoiding me. When it started to rain you had no choice but to come home. I've known you since you were twelve." Replied Sage, without even looking at him. Sage wasn't stupid, he was a smart man.

Sitting his Kindle down, he looked over at the man, grimacing at him. "So you hate it that much? You hate that I have feelings for you that much that you avoid me all day? So what am I disgusting now? Do you wish you've never met me?"

"I never for one moment told you that I hated your apparent... 'crush' on me, did I? I was surprised by it, if nothing else. It's a surprising thing to hear from one's best friend after we spent six whole years together in a correctional facility. You never once gave me an indication you liked me. I don't mean hints, I mean an outright declaration of love. You must realise I'm not accustomed to... love and that sort of thing. You should have boldly declared how you felt and allowed me to think it through," the man began in his typically well-to-do and grammatically accurate way of speaking, setting his hands on his thighs and staring into the fire, not allowing his eyes to leave the flames. The only other place he could look was at his best friend, and he'd rather avoid that awkwardness.

"You had sex with other people. That does somewhat counteract the fact you love me," he pointed out calmly, if only to fill the awkward silence. "I don't really know what you want me to say, Sage."

"I had sex with him because he looked like you. If you wanted to know the truth, there you have it. And what do I want you to say? I want you to tell me how you feel about me, Jasper. I...I want to know the truth." Demanded the mayor, grimacing at how Jasper was refusing to even look at him at the moment.