Dark Souls 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go archer in pretty much all my games if I can. I love shooting people before they reach me. Sadly, in DS games, archer means you are rushed and become the meat in a skeleton sandwich.
Archer builds are looking super-viable in DS3, though you're gonna have to buy arrows all the time cuz you can only carry 99 of each type at a time (and can only have up to 99 more stored in inventory). My suggestion is that you pack a backup melee weapon that isn't thrust, just in case you come across skeletons enemies resistant to thrust attacks.

Or a nice variety of elemental arrows. That works too.

I go archer in pretty much all my games if I can. I love shooting people before they reach me. Sadly, in DS games, archer means you are rushed and become the meat in a skeleton sandwich.
Dragonslayer Great Bow + Height + Narrow path with sheer drop = best fun.

Bonus points if you bring friends with similar taste.

Used to dress as one in DaS and coop for people as a silver knight with that thing. Bosses were trivial at best with a tree trunk sticking from their eye.

Reactions: Grothnor
So, anyone fight High Lord Wolnir yet (aka the giant fucking skeleton in the dark)? That fight was an utter bitch until I figured out how to fight him. The only things that made the fight bearable was the fact that your bloodstain gets left outside the boss arena and *SPOILERS FOR CARTHUS CATACOMBS AREA*
You didnt notice the three giant glowing weak points on his wrists? XD He killed me once because I didnt realise how bad his breath was (didn't hit him once that run), but the second time he didn't even come lose to hitting me. You just run to the side of his wrists and all his attacks miss.

I hate the face you can only have 198 arrows total. The number of times I have run out without realising is in the double digits.

@DoughGuy
I thought the bracelets were there to show you where is hands were so you could know where they were in the darkness and, you know, dodge them. I just started poking his hands with my estoc instead of his bracelets, took me a few tries to realize they were weak spots. It took me a few more tries to learn how to deal with his breath attack, and then I had it down. Beat him in about a minute and a half.
I hate the face you can only have 198 arrows total. The number of times I have run out without realising is in the double digits.
Hopefully they'll patch the storage cap for arrows like they did blood vials and QS bullets in Bloodborne (they upped the initial storage cap from 100 to 600, for those that didn't know/play Bloodborne).

Though I like how all items in storage are automatically put into active inventory at bonfires. They did that in BB, but only with blood vials and bullets.

Anyone got to the Abyss Watchers?

Wtf is this shit.

That's the cheapest....

So here I was happy as could be because I thought, wow I beat this boss in 1 try. Omg I am getting better at this game. Then the cheap asshole regains embers on death and has a flaming sword.

I hate bosses like this. Either give him the flaming sword on the first hand or don't.

Abyss Watchers were a joke with summons. [spoili]Stage 1 was too easy, and ever since Ludwig from Bloodborne DLC, I fully expected 2 stage boss fights, especially since they look like they're straight out of Yharnam.[/spoili]

Plus their music is amazing. I'm listening to it now.

Abyss Watchers are piss easy once you realize parrying and back stabs work. Also let them fight each other. Otherwise an awesome two-part fight.

Now then.

When did invaders become so trivial? And why is the seed of the tree of giants so fucking devious I love it.

• Heading into Anor Londo. Yeah, you heard me. Archers are back x3.
  • Invaded by Dark Spirit Sander. Thorn armor and Yhorms Machete (great weapon)
  • Phantom and I clearing ways up the building. Sander harassing and running.
  • Pop seed.
  • Sander does a two handed leap attack at me. Certain death before a quicky sippy.
  • PTWANG
  • Sander is nailed mid-jump and launched off to his death.
  • "Well what is it?" Phantom emotes
Sander and I met again..
  • Invades me as opening a shortcut, have a sorcerer phantom
  • It's Sander v Kiarrn again..
  • Oh there's one of those spider cat things too
  • Phantom dies horribly to enemy
  • Sander constantly chasing me around bonfire while giant spider chases and hits me every so often
  • No chance at summoning help at all. No time to stop moving
  • Low health again. No seeds.
  • Manage to start a summon
  • Sander once again leap attacking which would've ended me
  • Spider thing slams on top of him while obviously coming for me. he Ded
  • Flop back animation as phantom arrived and finishes off the enemy thing
  • Beat Aldrich Bullshit Boss with only 2 out of 13 estus

Every other invader I've beaten by being aggressive. All they do is roll away, heal, rinse and repeat til they're out then it's just a matter of going until they've got nowhere to go.

You're an invader! Strike fear into me! Quit being free estus! I'm not even that good!

Also at Lothric castle if anyone's on tonight around midnight eastern on PC.

Also, Hidden Body + Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring = Easy mode. It got me past the aforementioned archers and let me backstab them off the cliffs (among other almost game-breaking shenanigans).

Well I cannot summon anyone. I am not playing online and don't have PS Plus

Abyss Watchers were a joke with summons. [spoili]Stage 1 was too easy, and ever since Ludwig from Bloodborne DLC, I fully expected 2 stage boss fights, especially since they look like they're straight out of Yharnam.[/spoili]

Plus their music is amazing. I'm listening to it now.

Abyss Watchers still is honestly my favorite boss so far. The music is amazing. I want to know more about their lore. And that fire sword tho.

Recently cleared Irithyll Dungeon myself; I didn't mind the enemies apart from those lantern-wielding piles of festering shit. I'm maining the Greatsword and have it to +7 so far (as in, the classic massive Ultra Greatsword that weighs 20.0 and is crippling to wield but I god-damn love it too much), so most things go down like a sack of shit in two or three hits, or one fully-charged attack.

Also, jumpscares. Really, Dark Souls?

But if there's anything Irithyll Dungeon taught me, it's that 80% of chests are mimics now. I've only died once to a mimic; the one inside that tower in the game's first area got me, because I was like 'they can't put a mimic this early, right'? Attacked every chest on sight ever since. I wouldn't mind this change if the new chest-opening animation wasn't so damn satisfying to me for some reason, and if the mimics were more enjoyable to fight. Less mimics more epic chest openings pls ;__;

Anyone got to the Abyss Watchers?

Wtf is this shit.

That's the cheapest....

So here I was happy as could be because I thought, wow I beat this boss in 1 try. Omg I am getting better at this game. Then the cheap asshole regains embers on death and has a flaming sword.

I hate bosses like this. Either give him the flaming sword on the first hand or don't.
I didn't really mind that boss thanks to the wonderful music and beautiful-looking attacks. Took me two tries because I went in with only 2 estus charges left for some reason without being smart and going back to refill first.

[spoili]Also, after seeing how quickly his health bar was going down, I was totally expecting that stage two. It's never that easy.

For some reason, I found it really amusing how you can literally send him flying with a charged Greatsword attack and backstab him like any other mook, even with how epic his attacks were.[/spoili]

Yeah, fuck you, From Software. Scared me half to death... twice. It's one thing if the jump scare is trying to kill you: that's a legitimate fight or flight reflex, but a friggin' false-alarm loud noise out of nowhere? Come on, FromSoft, now you're just being mean.

Recently cleared Irithyll Dungeon myself; I didn't mind the enemies apart from those lantern-wielding piles of festering shit. I'm maining the Greatsword and have it to +7 so far (as in, the classic massive Ultra Greatsword that weighs 20.0 and is crippling to wield but I god-damn love it too much), so most things go down like a sack of shit in two or three hits, or one fully-charged attack.

But if there's anything Irithyll Dungeon taught me, it's that 80% of chests are mimics now. I've only died once to a mimic; the one inside that tower in the game's first area got me, because I was like 'they can't put a mimic this early, right'? Attacked every chest on sight ever since. I wouldn't mind this change if the new chest-opening animation wasn't so damn satisfying to me for some reason, and if the mimics were more enjoyable to fight. Less mimics more epic chest openings pls ;__;

I didn't really mind that boss thanks to the wonderful music and beautiful-looking attacks. Took me two tries because I went in with only 2 estus charges left for some reason without being smart and going back to refill first.

[spoili]Also, after seeing how quickly his health bar was going down, I was totally expecting that stage two. It's never that easy.

For some reason, I found it really amusing how you can literally send him flying with a charged Greatsword attack and backstab him like any other mook, even with how epic his attacks were.[/spoili]
I play a Sorc and a Cleric.

Sooooo....greatsword not really an option

I thought the exact same thing about the first chest in the tower but my muscle memory was so strong that I attacked in anyway. When it turned out ot be a mimic and jumped up and started attacking I almost died cause I was laughing so hard at the fact it was actually one.

As someone who normally hates jumpscares I was surprisingly ok with the ones in the dungeon. Probably because I was already on high alert due to the dark ar4ea and general spookiness and I reacted to them by going into full defensive mode (holding block and spinning the camera like a mad man looking for the incoming horde of enemies alerted by the sound).

The Abyss Walker boss was pretty easy with a refined +something Halberd, it's just a matter of dodging his strikes. I wanna call him easy because I've died to almost every boss so far save the (tutorial boss and that boss with HUGE GLOWING WEAKPOINTS) WITH phantoms multiple times, but this guy I did first try solo.

On that matter is it me or are straight swords just ridiculously overpowered right now? It feels I'm getting hit just as hard as I hit them except they can swing for days and days. Also I believe you are prioritized to invade people with phantoms and those with way of the blue covenant, because almost every invasion has involved a host and two phantoms clearing the dungeon for them while a darkmoon gets summoned because a 3v1 was too much in my favor still.

The Abyss Walker boss was pretty easy with a refined +something Halberd, it's just a matter of dodging his strikes. I wanna call him easy because I've died to almost every boss so far save the (tutorial boss and that boss with HUGE GLOWING WEAKPOINTS) WITH phantoms multiple times, but this guy I did first try solo.

On that matter is it me or are straight swords just ridiculously overpowered right now? It feels I'm getting hit just as hard as I hit them except they can swing for days and days. Also I believe you are prioritized to invade people with phantoms and those with way of the blue covenant, because almost every invasion has involved a host and two phantoms clearing the dungeon for them while a darkmoon gets summoned because a 3v1 was too much in my favor still.
Straight swords or just long swords in general (including uchi and dark sword) are op in the sense they put out more dps than any of the ultras or greatswords while swinging faster and leaving fewer openings.

Or so I've heard.

Switched to a generic long sword just because it's better all around than my axe and during invasions.

And yes, invasions are prioritized by phantoms. A friend said you can invade when the host isn't even ember'd, said person also believes he's really a dragon, so yeah.

Invaders got shafted this time around. But could honestly care less since their whole premise is "be a dick and interrupt other people". Which is a fucking blast, but people don't like being on the receiving end.

It honestly makes sense to prioritise hosts wit phantoms over lone hosts. By summoning a phantom you are making the game easier than normal. Therefore the addition on an invader balances out the difficulty. Whereas invading a lone host ups their difficulty significantly without any help. I can't imagine how painful it would be fighting through the knights in Irithyll and having to keep an eye out for an invader joining in.

On that matter is it me or are straight swords just ridiculously overpowered right now? It feels I'm getting hit just as hard as I hit them except they can swing for days and days.
Straight swords are really powerful because you can usually get away with the same tactics: run with guard up, swing swing swing swing swing swing swing, roll, repeat until dead. They're crazily fast - much faster than in the previous games if I'm not mistaken. What makes them even better is that they have AoE swings, allowing you to chop through multiple lower-class enemies at once. Plus the weapon skill is decent. Not great, but decent. The only downside I had with the weapon was that it just wasn't really that fun to use in my opinion; I find all the other weapon types a lot more interesting.

And damn, don't even get my started on PvP'ing against straightsworders. I highly struggle to beat anyone wielding any sort of straightsword, as my Greatsword strikes are very predictable and usually leave me out of stamina afterwards. I just have to grin and bear it as my opponent spams RB without much thought and I get absolutely destroyed for it. Uchikatana users are even worse with their bleeding effects, parries, crazy gap-closing attacks, and general stylishness whilst I get my ass handed to me. I also fought someone who was using a Washing Pole once. It was not fun.

Also, am I the only one who's noticed that pretty much nobody runs the spear or spear-type weapons anymore, apart from the halberd? It might be just me, but I haven't seen a single spear-wielding phantom or invader so far.

Also, am I the only one who's noticed that pretty much nobody runs the spear or spear-type weapons anymore, apart from the halberd? It might be just me, but I haven't seen a single spear-wielding phantom or invader so far.

I thought about using the pike, but really the wide arc power attack from the halberd is just so much better when you are surrounded by multiple enemies and the poking is useful against 1v1 pve encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.