Dark Souls 3

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really glad I found the cloranthy ring for that extra regen too.
I always pride myself on having an eye for loot that others often miss. My brother was walking through the place where you get the chloranthy ring and was about to pass it by when I noticed the glow of loot. I pointed it out to him and when it turned out to be the much coveted Chloranthy ring, I felt incredibly smug. Like a proud smug, not an asshole smug.

I got a Chime on one of my characters, it was a random drop from an enemy. Not sure which though.
@Gwazi Magnum I don't want to spoil anything but there is another way into that hole that doesn't require jumping in. It is very tricky to find though, and you won't finding it by searching in that area. If you want me too I can PM you how.
No need to tell me specifics, I'd just like it to know is something I can reach relatively soon or will it take me a while to find it?

No need to tell me specifics, I'd just like it to know is something I can reach relatively soon or will it take me a while to find it?
Its something in a different part of the Undead Settlement. Just a bit hard to find and not obvious when you find it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Looks like I really need to start digging then. XD

I figure this is the right place to ask this, and I do not mean this question in any kind of inflammatory or troll way. This is something I'm curious about.

Why is Dark Souls popular? Why do you guys like it?

I figure this is the right place to ask this, and I do not mean this question in any kind of inflammatory or troll way. This is something I'm curious about.

Edit: It's popular because it's hard. That's why the meme "The Dark Souls of Shooters/action/etc" suddenly blew up. People saw it 'true gamer cred' if they played it.

I like the gameplay mostly. It was originally good from keeping the casuals away.

Otherwise the music is top notch, very atmospheric. The way the story handled is pretty uncommon, making it kinda unique and appealing in that way. Characters are unique and attractive in various ways, from personality to armor and weapon sets. Monster design is pretty crazy too, Bloodborne especially.

It's complicated. Not for everyone. But it was a breath of fresh air into a relatively stagnant time in gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Reactions: CalibansEnthusiast

I originally got into it out of desire to see what the hype was with it being such a challenging game. And it was indeed challenging, but unlike most challenging games it actually knows the difference between challenging and punishing. It heavily rewards skill so your encouraged to practice the game and not just zerg rush it, it encourages you to play cautiously and think things through.

Secondly, as an RPG it's brilliant as a character builder, since it's starting 'classes' are more just starting stat and item sets. Anyone can build any class into anything, if you make a mistake it's not a game over or restart. What combination of skills, weapons etc. you want is completely up to your imagination, without there being any artificial barriers preventing you from certain concepts.

The player community is, interesting. Summoned Phantoms are usually very helpful and friendly, seriously. I'd never seen another game where people are more eager to help someone find hidden secrets on such a common basis. But then there's Invading Phantoms, those being players who come in to kill you. This is honestly something I dislike a bit, but only because of how it combines with the soul system (which I'll get into later). However, the invading phantom has the balancing factor of being forced to fight you and up to 2 (or 3 in DS2) others at once, so they better be a skilled player to be a threat. Which considering they're interrupting an already hard game, of their own will I feel is rather fair, otherwise no one would get anywhere because of constant invaders. That you got two types of Invaders, the honourable ones and the cheap ones. The honourable ones follow an unwritten code of honour the game community has developed over the years, there's smaller details like using Estus (Health Potions) that people clash on, but the main idea is that you approach the host, exchange greetings and then engage in combat like a duel. This mind you isn't forced on people in any way, but it is a rather popular culture because of how much more enjoyable it tends to make the game for both sides and for how it helps the community bond. But then you got the unhonourable ones, which atm flood Dark Souls 3 on account of it being a new game with a lot of fans, and being console-PC compatible to my knowledge. Basically, these are the players who use any trick in the book to win, which is usually baiting the host into every enemy on the map and then ganking them. It can be annoying, but it's also provides extra challenge in itself. But since invaders have a timer, it's also fun to just sit there and watch the invader freak out because their plan isn't working.

Before I forget, the soul system mentioned before. Soul's are both your Gold and Experience, you choose how much does to your character itself and how much goes to getting new gear or upgrading current gear. Rather simple idea, except for one catch. When you die you drop all the souls on you, and the only way to get them back is to return to where you die and retrieve them. If you die before getting them though? They're gone forever. This has caused many rage quits from people (including myself), but at the same time it adds an incentive to stay alive and use your ahead.

Then there's the world. It's dark, gritty and pretty unforgiving. With only brief glimpses of true happiness, it's not a world you get to experience too often (that's well executed) and it really set's the mood for the challenges you have ahead of you.

It's method of telling a story isn't straight forward at all either. It does it in a way where if you just want to game you can do that, kill bosses and more bosses just because you like the gameplay and don't worry about a story. But if you do care about the story? You've got a rich amount of lore to dig into that runs so deep that there are channels dedicated to it. And note the same applies to the characters, they're a lot deeper than the game would suggest by itself, but even with the game alone there are a variety of interesting and entertaining personalities.

And lastly, the sun.
Always praise the sun.

Edit: The soundtrack is also awesome.

• Useful
Reactions: CalibansEnthusiast
@Grothnor I do have that chime actually. 4 of them to be exact XD I am pretty sure they drop from the enemies in the pre-shrine area of firelink shrine.

tl;dw It's a thinking man's (or woman's, whatever) game. Even though skill and reflexes will take you far, observation, awareness, and preparedness will do so as well.

Also, I do adore how FromSoft can make a set-piece. I saw Crucifixion Woods recently and it looked like a grim, depressing dump of a swamp, but it looked GOOD.

Also, the music is spectacular.

• Love
Dark Souls 3 is absolutely bloody fantastic, simply put. I went in with low expectations that were completely blown out of the water, as I feared they might focus too much on the graphics and not what matters - the gameplay. However - it's just what I wanted. A high difficulty, loads of fantastic weapons with their variety of abilities, great character customization, and that euphoric feeling when you beat a boss. This is how sequels should be, as in my opinion, literally every aspect of the game is improved over its predecessors - and the previous games were both bloody brilliant imo.

My character is Jesus - his long brown hair and brown beard swishing in the wind at his every step. Donned in a white robe and with his divine blade at his side, he's a Blue Sentinel that comes to the aid of those in trouble, repelling sinners across the globe.

I'm usually called to help players who have been invaded by 2 (sometimes 3) dark spirits at once. For those occasions I get out my crossbow/throwing knives and here's what happens in a nutshell:

I'm not religious, but it's just so bloody brilliant to just play as Jesus casually walking through the game. Started as a Warrior; even though it would make sense for Jesus to have a Faith-focused build, I'm just doing a pure Dex/Str build because I like to use all the weapons - particularly the massive ones - and hit damn hard with them. Flynn's ring is a great addition as I don't really like to wear proper armour.

I usually run the greatsword you can craft after killing the cursed tree (forgot its name), but I use a rapier for PvP - as it's an extremely fun weapon to duel with, and its special moves both look and feel awesome - especially being performed by Jesus himself. If I'm ever invaded by a dark spirit, I just go to an area with no enemies, sit down, and wait for them. When they arrive, I bow to them - and every single time, they've bowed back. We then proceed to empty our estus flasks and have an honourable duel. It's just so great to see pretty much every Dark Souls 3 player having a sense of honor.

I've managed to kill four bosses so far. I'd say one of the best things about Dark Souls 3 is the sheer amount of choice. There are so many split paths, so many places you can go, so many ways you can do things... I think it's safe to say Dark Souls 3 will remain as one of my favorite games of all time.

I own it on PC, if anybody here wants to run a boss together or something.

This game is so back and forth with its bonfire placement. I went through one area where there are 3 bonfires within 10 feet of each other. And then comes a part where there isn't a bonfire for about half an hour of content. It lures you into a false sense of security and then you have the most stressful time of your life.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Flynn's ring is a great addition as I don't really like to wear proper armour.
I have a feeling that item is going to encourage a lot of players (me included) to try builds involving minimal armour.
When they arrive, I bow to them - and every single time, they've bowed back. We then proceed to empty our estus flasks and have an honourable duel. It's just so great to see pretty much every Dark Souls 3 player having a sense of honor.
I wish my invaders were like yours. :(

The hype is real, I just found the Llewellyn set i.e. the coolest looking armour in DkS 2 :D

Holding off on beating the last boss and doing some PvP. The Farron Greatsword is just absurd. =-=

Holding off on beating the last boss and doing some PvP. The Farron Greatsword is just absurd. =-=
The amount of times Farron Greatsworders have killed me with that ridiculous spin attack is starting to go into double digits...

I have never played a Dark Souls game (even having owned them through gifts and sales).

Someone explain to me a) where to start, b) if I should start, and 3) anything else.

a) where to start
Narrative wise? Dark Souls 1.

That being said though, Dark Souls narrative system is a bit unique in that they don't tell you much in-game, but rather a lot of personal digging and fan finding sharing is needed to put most of the pieces together. And that requires a good investment in the series to begin with to get started on, so in that aspect you'd probably want the one with the best gameplay.

In which case, Dark Souls 3.
It's taken the best from both games and built further on top of it.
b) if I should start
Are you looking for a game that requires time, patience and a lot of thinking and thrown controllers? If so, definitely.
Are you looking for a game just to relax with and play casually? Then it's probably not your cup of tea.

Jimquisition is right when he says the "Dark Souls is the most challenging game" reputation is greatly exaggerated. But it is still a game that does require a good amount of investment.
3) anything else.
Anything I can say was covered a little bit ago.

Last edited:
I have never played a Dark Souls game (even having owned them through gifts and sales).

Someone explain to me a) where to start, b) if I should start, and 3) anything else.
a) As Gwazi said start at one and work your way through them (if you include Demon Souls in the souls games you can start with it but its not within the same universe, neither is Bloodborne).

b) Dark Souls is rough for a beginner. Expect a lot difficult enemies and not much narrative direction. The game is fairly linear and it's never too difficult to figure out where to go next but its rare for it to be obviously stated. Its not everyone's type of game but they are very enjoyable and its worthwhile to play them.

3) Prepare to die. And don't be afraid too. The only penalty for dying is losing your souls (which can be recovered) and your humanity (which you can always find more of). You'll keep all the items you found and importantly the knowledge you learned on that trip which will make the next one easier. Enemies respawn and you can always get more souls from them, you won't lost anything permanent. It can really suck to lose 10k souls, but you got them once, you'll get them again. Dying isn't bad. If you die, you'll learn. Expect to die because you will and it will make the game less rage inducing.

I've played Bloodborne (own it, actually), and apparently those games are identical? Play-wise, I mean, with the dying a lot and all that shit.

I figure I'll just skip out on playing DS1 and 2 altogether, read the "story" on the wiki, and just pick it up with DS3 from GMG or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.