Dark Souls 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is fairly linear and it's never too difficult to figure out where to go next
Ha Ha :P
you won't lost anything permanent.
Two Notable exceptions here:

1. If you discard an item (even unique) it's gone forever. Basically note leave = drop, discard = delete
2. Boss Souls are one time per game, so if he were to convert that to souls (instead of a weapon or item) and then die and lose the souls? That would count as a permanent loss
2a. Exception being using stuff like a bonfire ascetic from DS2, but I'm not sure if the third has something like that or not.
I've played Bloodborne (own it, actually), and apparently those games are identical? Play-wise, I mean, with the dying a lot and all that shit.

I figure I'll just skip out on playing DS1 and 2 altogether, read the "story" on the wiki, and just pick it up with DS3 from GMG or something.
I never played Bloodborne myself due to it being a Playstation exclusive. But to my understanding it's the same idea and general principle, just a bit easier (reportedly, that's just what I've heard) than Dark Souls.

Reactions: Grothnor
I've played Bloodborne (own it, actually), and apparently those games are identical? Play-wise, I mean, with the dying a lot and all that shit.

I figure I'll just skip out on playing DS1 and 2 altogether, read the "story" on the wiki, and just pick it up with DS3 from GMG or something.
Bloodborne is pretty different imo. They have the same, difficulty and dying a lot part, but when it comes to actually playing them you can't directly transfer skills from one to the other. The lack of shields in Bloodborne creates a faster paced atmosphere where you're moving in and out of range, sidestepping then striking, always avoiding getting hit. Having shields in DkS allows you to play a much more patient game, letting your enemy hit your shield over and over until you see an opening. Your character moves slower and you have rolls instead of sidesteps when locked on which don't provide the same type of mobility. I tried to play DkS 3 Bloodborne style when I started and immediately realised I couldn't.

You can probably get away with not reading the story of 1 and 2. I'm not sure there's anywhere you can read the whole story given the piecemeal nature of the information you are given and the fact its all uncovered by the fans. E.g. this is a link to one of the prominent Dark Souls wiki's lore pages and you can see its not what you'd expect. If you want to read about the story in depth you'll need to browse their forums to find the lore section and read the threads there.

@Gwazi Magnum You are correct about those however I was referring to what you lose when you die specifically.

I should add, if you enjoyed Bloodborne you will enjoy the Souls games

Last edited:
The lack of shields in Bloodborne creates a faster paced atmosphere where you're moving in and out of range, sidestepping then striking, always avoiding getting hit.
Remember there are a number of builds that don't utilize shields.
@Gwazi Magnum You are correct about those however I was referring to what you lose when you die specifically.
I know, but when someone's asking who has yet to play Dark Souls I figured the clarification should be made.

No, I mean a chime. I've seen some drop off of the scrubby enemies after (and probably before) Iudex Grundyr on my brother's character. It's special ability is a heal that I could use for just a small amount of faith without sacrificing an attunement slot for a heal spell.
Okay, so, an update on this situation:

I got the chime after grinding on the guys outside Firelink Shrine for about 10 minutes and got my faith up to the required 14 to use it's heal spell (6 health each second for about a minute for about 14 FP, it's pretty great). Then later (probably after I turned in the paladin's ashes to the merchant hag lady) I noticed she was selling a chime with the same spell, but it only required 10 faith to use and I saw in a loading screen that there was ANOTHER chime with the ability that was Intelligence scaling (Caitha's chime), which makes me feel like a dumb asshole for dumping a bunch of unnecessary points into faith.

So, in summary, does anybody know if it's possible to respec like in DS2 and if so how? Nevermind, looked it up, not pleased with result.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, in summary, does anybody know if it's possible to respec like in DS2 and if so how?
It's possible. Just a fairly long way into the game before it becomes available. Not gonna spoil it since I googled it myself. But you need an item to do it. If you're still in the beginning area looking for a chime then you've got a long ways to go still.

Also, I keep seeing how hard the Abyss Watchers are. Beat them first try after my phantom offed himself by doing nothing but parry spam. Even the five or so times I've been the phantom I can just sit and watch the fight finish.

Also, this years vacation is gonna be a little more difficult with another blind girl taggin' along..

c0f4Ncj.jpg

[spoili]You'll never get to go on a Soulsborne beach trip and build castles with the characters.[/spoili]

Expanding on my reasons why I adore the Soulsborne games, FromSoft knows how to perfectly marry music to a scene. The absence of music outside of critical areas and boss fights makes it all the more impactful.

Reactions: Darog
Dat fucking tree demon boss wtf cancer mushroom tho

Dat fucking tree demon boss wtf cancer mushroom tho
Cursed Greatwood?

First time? Absolute breeze with a single phantom.

Any other time after that? Absolutely terrible. Even with my +4 fire axe at the time

Cursed Greatwood?

First time? Absolute breeze with a single phantom.

Any other time after that? Absolutely terrible. Even with my +4 fire axe at the time

I know right. I have a cleric and nearly wooped his ass in the 1st time. But I wasn't familiar with his body yet, choked because I couldn't find one of his mushroom or are they cancer tumor thingies. And I died.

Then any other time. I got my ass fucking wooped.

I know right. I have a cleric and nearly wooped his ass in the 1st time. But I wasn't familiar with his body yet, choked because I couldn't find one of his mushroom or are they cancer tumor thingies. And I died.

Then any other time. I got my ass fucking wooped.
They're like cysts or something equally cursed and nasty. Did you notice he has four locations with them? Equipped the great club two-handed and you can hit the ones on his back for a bit. Super useful for coop.

Currently in... Irithyll Dungeon and I don't like it. Phantom'd with hosts around it a few times but now that it's my turn I'm totally lost cause I can't see items or open doors of the host..

Level 60-ish if anyone's around there. Really bummed I can't level edit like in DaS1 on the 360 and coop as NPCs with people. Just ask them where they are, save edit on PC, put it on a thumb drive, ta-da, Siegmeyer joins the fight against the Gargoyles. Matching attire to go with it.

Level 60-ish if anyone's around there. Really bummed I can't level edit like in DaS1 on the 360 and coop as NPCs with people. Just ask them where they are, save edit on PC, put it on a thumb drive, ta-da, Siegmeyer joins the fight against the Gargoyles. Matching attire to go with it.
Apparently DS3 has no real level gap in the sense you can't play with others.

Just that if you're above the gap you get levelled down temporarily to the gap limit.

They're like cysts or something equally cursed and nasty. Did you notice he has four locations with them? Equipped the great club two-handed and you can hit the ones on his back for a bit. Super useful for coop.

Yes I had. I actually stick behind him, and hit him on all of his back spots and that's how I usually kill him.

-Mushroom Cancer in front, till he breaks through floor
-Mushroom Cancer on the back, till those break
-Mushroom Cancer on the ankle
-Mushroom Cancer on the back of the thigh
-Mushroom Cancer on the hand

And that's how I end up killing him, but that extra hand tho. Motherfucker. He didn't need three fucking arms.

I found the cursed greatwood pretty easy with the uchi. You just constantly circle him and none of his attacks will work. Then once the second phase begins
I just baited the hand to attack and slashed it a few times so I didn't have to go cancer searching
Beat it on my second try solo.

I beat Irithyll dungeon yesterday. My recommendation is bring along a bow and lots of arrow. Used the Light spell a lot too so I didn't need to waste a hand on a torch which really helped.

Just cleared the dungeon as well with the help of a naked phantom wielding a Great Club. Fuck those enemies. All of them.

Hope you enjoy having literally 45 health when my max is 1500.

So, anyone fight High Lord Wolnir yet (aka the giant fucking skeleton in the dark)? That fight was an utter bitch until I figured out how to fight him. The only things that made the fight bearable was the fact that your bloodstain gets left outside the boss arena and *SPOILERS FOR CARTHUS CATACOMBS AREA* [spoili]that you get to play Indiana Jones by cutting a rope bridge out from under a horde of enemies[/spoili].

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Windsong and Darog
I've been wielding the Butcher's Knife since I found it, man it's my dream weapon. I JUST WANT YHORMS GIANT MACHETE NOW!. I'm going mostly strength with a little of Pyromancy too. it's all goooood.

Man I love this game....

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Windsong
All these people being unique an shit and I'm over here using my long sword dropped from the High wall..

Would be using my axe but it's just too slow to deal with uchi-tryhards. Long sword wrecks them day and night. Aggressive play is best play.

Also fuck Wolmir. Phantoms take out his two bracelets and were floundering because he didn't set his other wrist down for five minutes.

I go archer in pretty much all my games if I can. I love shooting people before they reach me. Sadly, in DS games, archer means you are rushed and become the meat in a skeleton sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.