Cowboys & Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hours later -- 7:00 p.m -- SUNSET

Lilith couldn't stretch the word: worry anymore than it had been today. After Sam left she decided to put down the walls of his tent and fill it with as many extra blankets and pillows she could find around the shack. That took about fifteen minutes and he was still gone. She decided to head back to the Saloon and continue working, putting on a fake smile and pinching her cheeks for Earl when he came to ask about her day out with the "mysterious cowboy." Once she began handing out drinks and making idle conversations with the locals she almost believed that Sam was an illusion and the entire day was some fantasy playing in her scrambled mind. Lilith wanted so badly to be rid of this town, but the Coons and their new found love for Armadillo always kept her cooped up in the old, brown town -- looking after her family and few friends.

It was five o'clock when she decided to end her shift at the Saloon, good thing too since the nighttime drunks always decided to cause a ruckus around that time. She walked home slowly, sullen and blistered from the ankles down... She always hated the black heels Earl made her wear. Once she was home she began making dinner until six when her parents returned from a loooong day of work and simply needed to fill their bellies before bed. Lilith would be lying if she said their routine was the same ever since... Ever since, well, things were different now. Her father scarfed down his food like a hog, while her mother nibbled here and there until she declared herself too full and tired. They went to bed with a quiet: "Goodnight Lily dear..."

Lilith then prepared Sam his own food as well as that sweet cornbread she promised him. It was piping hot by six forty-five and she set it in his little tent before returning inside. She was sure he wouldn't really want her sitting in there and waiting -- like someone who may fancy someone else. The blonde had been too exhausted to change out of her dark maroon saloon girl outfit and instead threw on her pajama shirt over. Earl never asked her to put her hair up like the other girls so usually it was always down and poofy. She didn't have to worry much about her appearance though honestly... No, she just needed to wait for Sam and see if he enjoyed the food she made him. She sat in the living room, beside the screen door and waited...​

Sam slowly trotted back up to the worn shack with the small flicker of candle light inside the dark windows. He looked up still wearing his dark brown hat even though the sun had already began to fade. He brought his horse around back and climbed down realizing his things had been altered. His tent was fully covered and seeme to have many extra blankets atop his beautiful quilt. As he drew closer feet aching after being worn into his boots like a shell, he saw a plate of food waiting atop his things.

Sam looked through his bag to find it had not been touched and nothing of his was missing. He didn't question it but just wondered. He looked at the bowl of chili and the delicious yellowed corn bread next to it. The chili still gave of a warm sensation up close. He hadn't touched food in a day and wanted to take the plate down through a funnel into his empty stomach but set it back down. Sam first began to unpack.

His day had been long and he had exactly what he needed now, the desert had tired him out much like it did most days, only today it was much worse. It felt as if he had a weight on him the second he departed. He didn't enjoy the feeling at all. As he slipped of the boots that had formed onto his feet, put down his supplies, and loosened his belts he sat calmly by his dinner.

The smell of the chili reminded him of meals he used to eat with his family as he grew. His mother often made chili herself, and since he hadn't had a single bowl that was soo delicious. The bowl Lilith had left hit his senses like a fully loaded cannon, and drove him to want to eat at speeds faster than healthy. He nhan to eat down the chili. Reaching for his corn bread he took one single bite. "Ohh this really is sweet!" he thought in awe as his eyes widened. He began to furious fill himself almost loosing the surroundings around him. Not wasting a single bit, picking every little crumb off his dusty shirt and enjoying it to the fullest.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Lilith passed out from exhaustion minutes before Sam arrived, but once the click clacking of hooves was heard through the screen door she awakened and stretched out her aching muscles. She peeked around the corner and out the screen-door, noticing the tent was ablaze with light and the faintest noises of metal against glass. Sam was back and he was eating her chili profusely -- if she heard correctly. Lilith almost smiled to herself, but then began to ponder over an excuse to go and see him. Maybe I can simply pretend to check if he was in yet and be surprised with his occupancy? Or I can be straightforward and demand to speak with him? She shook her head, sighing deeply and fiddling with a button on her shirt. She was being a big baby... In all honesty, she just wanted to make sure he was alright. He was gone for so long... Why was she so worried? Why was she intrigued? She groaned and buried her face in the couch pillow. "Damnit," she muttered into the fabric.​

Sam finished up his bowl with not even a particle of his meal to waste. This was the best thing he had had in a very long time. He breathe out in relief to himself over the long day he had. Then a new thought iccured as the moon began to appear over the horizon. He would need to bring his plate in. This made him really think. He didn't want to alarm anyone or sound like an intruder, but just as much did he not want to be rude and leave this nice ladies glass dish-ware out in the dirt. He pondered for moments and decided to slip into the screen door.

Being silent was soothing, something he was very good at, and had much practice with over his life. Stealth was required on many jobs he had been through before. He walked over to the door and peered through the screen. He wondered where Lilith may have been and if she had fallen asleep by chance.​

Lilith had decided to sulk in her fabric pillow for awhile until she had come up with a plan. In the end though, she had nothing and decided to procrastinate her decision and curl up in the couch instead. Her mind was a buzz with lots of different sorts of scenarios that could occur with either types of decisions, but that didn't mean she was going to try and act one out. Just as she was going to get up she heard a creak outside and immediately sat up, the pillow pressed to her chest as if it was a shield, "Sam?" She didn't even think twice about it. She simply called out his name and then shut her eyes and mentally hit herself again.​

Sam began to open the dusty screen door as softly as possible, inch by inch by inch when all of a sudden the hinge caught friction. SQQQRRUUEEKKK. The sound was only faint but just that small noise echoed in his head over and over again, each time sounding like it was actually louder than it had originally been. Sam immediately froze solid, he held himself to great standards when silent it was unlike him to make much noise at... "Sam?" called Lilith's soft voice from around the corner. Sam remained frozen but immediately without thinking reponded "I'm here" in a soft voice. He let his muscles relax and he broke the ice and crept in another step untill he could see Lilith sitting up looking at him on the couch, shielding herself from him with a pillow. Sam hoped he hadn't startled her, and began to wonder how long she had been up for. Sam pause and just looked at her from across the room with his cleaned plate in hand. He looked from under the brim of his hat noticing how good she looked.

Lilith seemed to glow under the light of the candle beside her. Her hair lit up and was spread out in a beautiful manner. She was definitely a sight to see at this hour. Sam tried desperately to take the thoughts out of his mind, and break the silence and ackward stare.​

Lilith took a long, deep breath as Sam responded to her and chuckled at the stingy screen door. It was always that last second when opening it did it squeak with such ferocity, though she knew it wasn't loud at all and her parents were still asleep. Lilith put a finger to her lips to shush him and then spoke in a whisper, "Did you like it? Here I can take it into the kitchen." She got to her bare feet and took the glass dish from him, the faintest brush of fingers registered in her mind, but she simply smile and took it into the kitchen. She placed the items into the wash bin and looked over at Marge, who was asleep in her bed. Lilith groaned softly and then remembered Sam was in the shack.​

"Ohh yes I did thank you for you kindness ma'am." Her fingers brushed across his as she took the plate from his hand. They felt soo soft, delicate, and cold altogether. He looked up at her as she walked the dishes over to the sink. He wanted to say something, anything, but he couldn't find the words to. He stood and realized he had better go, he didn't want to dwell into her personal home more than he already had. He began to silently turn and walk out the screen door just behind him.​

Lilith turned at the same moment he did, "You're welc-- Wait!" The last part came out as a high squeak and she quickly covered her mouth in fear of stirring the house. Marge sneezed and then returned back to slumber. The boldest face turned a bright shade of pink as she walked over, her head low, and opened the screen door for him. "Can we talk?" she cleared her throat, her voice hard and her eyes low, "You can leave in the morning, but this stranger thing doesn't happen everyday. You don't really talk a lot... I just-- someone once told me the people who don't know you can't judge you. You don't have to recite your own story Sam but I just need someone to talk to and then you can go..." She peeked up through her lashes, trying to manage a puppy dog face. She didn't even care if she sounded desperate for attention, she needed someone who would listen and wasn't a dog.​

Her soft voice entered his ears and he stopped dead in his tracks. Sam did want to talk to her and knew he couldn't say no. He began to walk out again past the door Lilith held open and replied turning toward her "Come, sit." he began to turn and walk out to his built tent. He planned to sit on the quilt he laid outside by the spot he intended to make a fire. He wondered what Lilith wanted to say. At this point he knew what she wanted. She seemed to have spent her whole life caged up and now was seeking an adventure. He admired her and felt that he could talk. Sam hadn't been able to conversate with anyone in months, and had been to blocked his mind with the thoughts of the dangers other can bring. He felt for Lilith and felt sorry that she had to live with what she did, even through he didn't show it. So he comforted her and accepted, knowing that she needed someone to talk to. He began to walk out to his dirty, blanket stuffed tent.​

Lilith smiled great fully, nodding and walking at the same time. She pulled her shirt tighter around her as the cold air nipped at her skin, raising goosebumps along every inch. Her eyes gazed across the night sky and she felt a slight pang in her chest. She had so much to say and half of her was glad that he would be leaving in the morning. Lilith sat on the quilt he had laid out and pulled her legs beneath her in a criss-cross type way. She didn't know where to start... She had never spoken to anyone about these things on her mind. "On my nights off, Bo and I used to come out here and count all the stars. He used to talk about visiting them all and bringing me souvenirs. He wanted to do so many things," she sniffled a bit and then continued, looking at Sam for a moment, "Bo was only eight when they took him. Those damn Coons..." Lilith moved some hair out of her face and looked up at the sky. She was so overwhelmed and talking seemed to make it worse.

Sam's eyes widened, he never expected to hear such tragedies come from her mouth. The Coons had brought more pain into her life than he thought. He adjusted his hat, and continued to listen.

He sat down across from her up against the wall of house, leaning backward with his hat low. He new she needed to go on and wasn't planning on interrupting. He asked a simple question intently to comfort her, "Bo was your brother?" He spoke quietly and calmly sounding interested. He wanted to comfort her and to help her let out anything she needed. He really was a stranger but this girl had been kind to him, and he wanted to do his best to help her feel better.​

Lilith nodded, keeping any tears at bay. How embarrassing would it be to cry in front of this stranger. "Yeah he was. The entire families only joy, that boy... It was about four months ago that the Coons returned to the town and immediately they demanded to take 'taxes' from us. When the current Mayor refused, well, it was my fault that I had taken Bo to the front of the crowd. He thought it was the neatest thing he had ever seen though..." Lilith looked away into the vast desert, her eyes becoming glossy and a raspiness taking her voice, "They saw him and snatched him up. Ma went berserk and I froze. Oh Sam... He was so scared! I can still hear him calling my name, begging for me." Her voice squeaked an she covered her face.​

The moon began to rise, and a cold wind blew through the desert. Sam watched and as Lilith covered her face at the thought of her brother. Sam looked down at the ground, as all Lilith's pain filled him and he felt all her sorrow. He wanted to comfort her, to do something to make her feel better on the cold night but he didn't know what to do. He sat up a bit and shifted himself over beside her. He sat for a moment and then replied, "Should I build a fire?" He hoped to warm her up and make her feel better so she would stay and say everything on her mind.​

"That would be nice, yes..." Lilith sniffled, watching the moon rise to its fullest and it's shining glory cast light upon the desert dirt below. It was so nice out tonight and she was digging herself deeper into despair. How selfish am I? She wondered, wiping her nose with the sleeve of her striped shirt and watching Sam give her the look. The look all residents of Armadillo gave her when Bo was taken. It was pity and condolences that filled her home for weeks on end after that fateful day and getting it again was like a stab in the heart. Overwhelmed, cold, and tired Lilith panicked and stood up quickly, "No no... I should g-go." She burst into tears, covering her face and shaking from the shoulders down.​

Sam saw her rise and begin to go, he didn't want her too but he wouldn't stop her if she was uncomfortable. He didn't want her to walk away like this so he knew he had to pull her back to make here feel right. "Lilith?" Sam spoke softly and confidently with his head low before continuing, "My real name is Samael..." He began to take off his hat. He was ready to be all out and open up. He didn't know how she would react or what she would say, it could possibly cost him his place for the night but he knew who he was and didn't need to hide a thing. He let out a breath and looked at her and proclaimed, "I am a bounty hunter here in Armadillo to look for blood money."​

Lilith collapsed back into a sitting position and practically nestled herself into Samael's side. "Thats a handsome name..." She sniffled, hiccuped, and wiped away her snot before sitting up acne looking at his face with intense curiosity. He was being open and truthful, why would anyone lie about being a Bounty Hunter? Lilith played with the end of her sleeve and sniffle once more before speaking, "Once in awhile one of you f-folks comes into town and checks the main board. Half the town ignore's it, but I pay attention." Lilith looked almost angry, but really she was just confused. "Last time one came in, he stayed at the Mayor's house and then the next day a Livery worker was dead. Clean bullet through the brain..." Her eyes were directed to the floor again and then they were back up and glancing into Samael's, "Thats what you are going to do huh? Find someone with a bad past and, ya know, kill them? For money?" Her voice was soft and small, she was so drained and the night had barely started.​

Sam lost himself in the moment, he felt every word pierce through him like the night wind. Her question stuck into his head. He was soo pressured as she looked into his eyes as if he was a monster, but with pity lacing her pupils. He looked down at her and he put his arm behind Lilith's body, leaning in close up against her warm side. He knew that he wasn't someone that this sweet girl could ever admire. He needed to back away. Sam looked into her eyes for a moment. And turned away towards the road; he went silent, realizing that he wasn't welcome in the normal world. His face darkened and grew serious as he slid his dark hat back on and covered his face under it's brim, looking at the floor. Samael said nothing and took his arm away from behind her back, suddenly moving it to his lap. Sam said nothing, he didn't have anything to say to this pretty Lady. Nothing that could change who he really was.​

Lilith could sense her question was toed aside and maybe even just a bit full of malice. That was not her intentions at all, but she knew that getting to close to a man like Samael would not end well. She stayed silent for a few moment after he retracted his arm, glancing up at the stars with nostalgia clouding her vision. With a soft sigh, Lilith turned back to Samael and slowly tipped the brim of his hat up so she could see his eyes, "You look nicer without this old thing." She smiled a tad before continuing, "I'm not judging you for her profession... I just know what goes on. It's all very interesting; the actions and ways of lives people go through." Lilith gulped and took his hand in hers seriously. "Maybe I can help you?"​

Sam looked up into her eyes again, now looking even deeper than before, practically getting lost. His hand being held firmly in hers. For the first time in ages his dusty cabinet of emotion burst open. His eyes illuminated as he looked into the moon shining on hers. Her soft hand held him close and his breathing slowed. The cold wind blew around them, and the world was silenced except for their breathing. Help him? How? He decided to ask, "How...Lilith?" He spoke slowly, calling her by her name for the first time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.