Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.
Through bushes and through briars,
I lately made my way,
So the Green Grave would see me
For I can't love that man...

Life is cruel. You and your family toiled in the fields for the right to live on land claimed by a lord, on behalf of the king. A portion of all harvest given to him, to feed his warriors. Brothers and cousins given to wars in lands beyond the horizon. You and other girls wary of his eye and those of his underlings.

Life is cruel. The priest tells you this is punishment, for the sins of the fathers. He offers dire warnings about the evils of your flesh and weakness of your will. He dismisses your pains and accusations.

Life is cruel. The most powerful woman in the village told you so, and she knows - she is older than anyone else, even the local lord. Her face is lined by laughter and suffering, her back straight and gaze piercing. She knows how to treat ailments the priest ignores. The men at arms fear her. To the village, she is the midwife - she delivered you, and your mother, and perhaps even your mother's mother.

But she has told you stories; the Green Man of the Woods, the Queen Under Hill, the Lurker on the Threshold. Now you hear the call, o human child, from gods & monsters of the wild.

----------------------------------------------------------​
This game of horror, transformation, and rebellion will feature four to six Witches as the player characters. Each Witch has sworn herself to a wild god in exchange for power - what she does with that power is her business, though some patrons expect more service than others.

There are two ways to approach this.
1. A group of Witches sworn to different gods, working together across a large-ish region.
2. A group of Witches where one player is the Hag in charge, each embodying a different aspect of one god.

Characters should be female-identified, though I may allow one exception if someone convinces me with a concept.
Prior experience with dice is appreciated but not mandatory. New players will receive direct assistance from me and will largely learn by doing.

You are required to read at least enough for the system and setting doc to make a Kelene character.

RULEBOOK: CDA Special Edit - revised
Character Index: CHARACTER INDEX - COVENANT - Characters

Questions and comments welcome.

CC @Alexandra @Hair @FuzzMonster @Ragoza @Custodiet Teh @Silvertongued

Last edited:
So we have Love, Night, Sun, Hunter, Fortune and Mysteries. Won't we be an interesting motley crew!

Reactions: Custodiet Teh
So we have Love, Night, Sun, Hunter, Fortune and Mysteries. Won't we be an interesting motley crew!

As Excession observed, the party literally seems to be concentrating all of the 'Get Shit Done' ability at night.

Just because it's you, Hair, I will trust you to play a psychopath as long as:
A) The rest of the group is okay with it.
B) They're a functional, rational psychopath - like a CEO, or a stock broker.

I'd be fine with it, so long as we're talking a rational sociopath who isn't going to flame out in a burst of self destructive cruelty.

Oh, yeah, I'm not thinking a sadist, just a manipulative monster who cares not for human suffering. If anyone is not happy with me playing a character like that I'm perfectly happy playing the other concept, one veto is all it'll take.

As long as it's not the lol evil I'm a psychopath approach, I don't mind. Not only does that kind of thing bore me to tears, it would make literally zero sense for your patron to allow you to continue to exist.

A fae Umbridge

I'm expecting lots of wild cats

If there are questions about rules or setting, don't hesitate to prod me especially on Discord.

Silvertongued is helpfully getting sheet templates sorted, but some character biographies would be helpful in the meanwhile.

Ok, I have Fera statted out now, but I just have two questions, please!

1. Where would you like them submitted to?
2. It's not mentioned in any source I can find, but Witches have a familiar, but Love doesn't appear to have a familiar animal associated with it. Can I make an educated guess and presume it's a kind of bird? Or can you enlighten me?

Ok, I have Fera statted out now, but I just have two questions, please!

1. Where would you like them submitted to?
2. It's not mentioned in any source I can find, but Witches have a familiar, but Love doesn't appear to have a familiar animal associated with it. Can I make an educated guess and presume it's a kind of bird? Or can you enlighten me?

1. There should be a link to the character thread in the original post.
2. Good point. Witches don't have to have a familiar, but a swan would be appropriate.

Familiar can be a bit odder, incidentally. I once had an NPC sea witch who had a water elemental in her bloodstream.

Strangely enough I was almost considering giving her a large copper key that only she could talk to as a familiar. Key to your heart and all that, but I might also just go for a Dove. Seeing as having a slightly prettier pigeon around wouldn't be all that conspicuous. Though the thought of having a rather terrifying swan/goose squawk and flap and hiss and chase people is incredibly funny.

• Out near the Frontier is perhaps a slightly safer place than it was a few years ago. Margot's parents mutter about the Winter War sometimes, but she's never paid attention. It's not important! She has things to learn now, especially if she wishes to take over for her mother someday, and that she certainly does. Marguerite's cures require constant work, gathering herbs, roots, flowers, and bark from the forest and the meadows surrounding, but the reward is greater freedom than most of the village women know.
    Margot's going to avoid the loutish village boys, she's going to work hard, stay up nights and get up early mornings. She's never told her mother, but she knows how to write her name, and she knows all the letters. She learned from one of the mercenary guards last winter.
    Margot's going to be better than her mother. She's going to be better than just one of these ignorant villagers. If she can just avoid being eaten right here, right now, on this moonlit night, with the howling behind her and the blood rushing in her ears.

Margot is going to be sixteen years old at the end of the summer. She's slightly darker than most Kelene folk, slightly stockier, and keeps her hair in a single long braid. Best not look under her tunic.

• Dexterity 2
    Strength 2
    Fitness 3

Intellect 3
    Intuition 4

Bearing 2
    Guile 3

Willpower 2
    Composure 2

Athletics 2
    Stealth 2
    Awareness 1

Ranged 1

Defend 1
    Lore 1
    Academics 1

Administration 1

Survival 3

Medicine 2

Melee 1

Unarmed 1
    Persuasion 2
    Subterfuge 2
    Empathy 1
    Languages (Kelene 4), Hrothgaard 1

• Training: Frontier Village Girl

Athletics, +1 to climbing.

Stealth, +1 to being silent in the forest.

Ranged, +1 to use of slings and stones.

Knowledge: Apothecary In Training

Medicine, +1 to fevers and illnesses.
    Survival, +1 to forage useful plants.
    Administration, +1 to seasonal village management.

Familiarity: Duck Low, Attract Little Attention

Subterfuge, +1 to appearing harmless to those who might find her a threat.

Persuasion, +1 to appearing useful to those might have power over her.
    Empathy, +1 to recognising when the first two specialties are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Excession
@daird you need a hand with your character at all?
@Custodiet Teh can I compel you to make her from a Delat vassal, for reasons?

Can do, Just let me go through the lore and change things up

Oh, god, this completely slipped my mind! I'm off from work this weekend, so give me until tomorrow night and I'll have something ready to go.

Quite alright. Ping me if you need anything.

Unfortunately, between time issues and difficulties understanding the system, I'm going to have to pull out. Sorry.

Unfortunately, between time issues and difficulties understanding the system, I'm going to have to pull out. Sorry.

I'd be happy to help clear up any confusion about the system (or if you can spare a moment to tell me of any specific difficulties in case I can fix that in the net draft), but I understand how time issues would make that unappealing. Perhaps another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.