*Closed* Royal and Not *Lady AlainXShadow Assassin*

• Thread starter DJae Writer Chick
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was happy to show him the seeds and lead the way to the spot I'd picked. It was darkened in a shadow now by the late afternoon sun, but that was no matter. I stayed by Jabez's side, watching curiously as he began to work. Each step he took was matched by my own and I watched.

As I plunged the shovel into the ground, loosened it, and overturned it, I explained to Ellie how the soil needed to be in order to allow the seeds to grow. Once the outline was finished, I moved inside the dirt square to start on the furrows. The perimeter would have to be dug out later to make a trench for the rain water to run off. I kept at it with the shovel, loosening the earth to make it easier to mold the furrows where we would plant the seeds. Finally, that was done and I switched to the hoe.

"If you want, you can take the shovel and make a trench around the outside," I offered. Knowing how active she was, I figured she might appreciate a job instead of watching me sweat and work.

I listened intently, following close beside Jabez. He knew a lot more about this than I. I smiled softly. Then, he told me I could use the shovel to make a trench. I giggled and hopped to action, picking up the shovel and starting at one corner. It took me a few tries to get it deep enough in the ground to start digging, but once I got it in, I just had to dig from my little hole around the garden. It was a lot harder than I had originally expected, but it wasn't hard enough to make me quit.

I couldn't help but grin to myself at Ellie's determination. Once she set her mind to something, nothing could deter her. By the time she had finished digging the trench, I was done with the furrows. It was time to plant the seeds. I set my hoe down on the ground outside the garden patch and hurried off to retrieve them and the potatoes. I separated the strawberry, herbs, and grape seeds from the rest of the group, knowing that we didn't have a trellis for the grape vines to grow on and that strawberries tend to take over rather quickly. They would go best by the house where we could easily pluck the berries to munch on. The herbs would also be better closer to the house. As for the grapes, I'd have to figure something else out there.

But the vegetables and squashes would grow well out here. I set the package of cucumber seeds at the end of the first row, then the lettuce at the next one, followed by the beans, tomatoes, potatoes, and pumpkins. I demonstrated to Ellie how deep the holes needed to be in the furrow and how far apart the seeds needed to be to be able to breathe. Then, I set her to work on the cucumbers as I began cutting the potatoes in half to plant those.

I watched intently, determined to learn everything the first time. Then, Jabez had me planting cucumber seeds. Oh dear.. Okay, let's see. I dug each hole just as he instructed, then I planted each seed carefully, gently covering them and giving them a little pat.

After planting each potato half in its row, I got up from my position on my knees to cross over to Ellie's row to see how she was doing. Cucumbers were such hardy plants, I had figured they would be the most forgiving if she crowded them too much or spaced them too far apart. "You're doing just fine," I complimented her. And indeed, she was. They were practically perfect, which was almost unheard of. Father Mitchell would have been proud of her work, just like he'd been pleased by mine when I was a boy in the monastery.

"When you're finished with the cucumbers, the pumpkins should be planted in the same way. I have them on the last row. I'll do the rest of the seeds and hopefully we'll be done before the sun goes down!"

I would definitely be ready for supper and a good drink of water by the time we were finished here!

I looked up with a bright smile as Jabez complimented my work. I was only about halfway done, but I was happy he thought I was doing good. I glanced up and figured we should have time to finish. Returning to my work, I continued to make little holes, burying each seed and then covering it, giving it a little pat.

I finished planting the last package of seeds just as the sun slipped behind the horizon, leaving enough of its glowing rays to make it fairly bright for twilight. Good, we would be able to see just enough to get home and see about supper. We really should water the garden, but I didn't have anything to carry water in, let alone know where to get water. Besides, the clouds looked like they might possibly do the watering for me come morning. That would be soon enough.

Getting to my feet, I turned to Ellie. "Ready to go inside? What did you find for supper?" I walked over and held out my hand to help her up when she was ready to stand up and then stepped back to admire our work. "In a few months, we'll have so many things to choose from for supper." I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into one of our cucumbers!

I hadn't even noticed the darkening sky until the sun was almost gone. I looked up and smiled at Jabez when he mentioned supper. "I got some lettuce and some things to make a salad." I said softly, gratefully taking his hand. I was glad to see Jabez happy.

Smiling down at her, I squeezed her hand. "You did a very good job today in picking seeds and helping me plant them," I told her. "Let's go eat, eh? I'm starved!" Leaving her momentarily to pick up the shovel and hoe, I balanced them over my shoulder and walked back to Ellie to slip her hand in mine again as we went back to the house. When we got to the cabin, I put the tools down by the front door. Once inside, I noticed the ham and bread on the table as well as the lettuce and I bent over to plant a kiss on the top of her head. "It looks delicious."

[I'm running out of motivation to keep this RP going. Want to start gearing down to end it?]

(Sure~ How do you want to end it though?)

I smiled happily as we walked back to the house. Giggling softly as Jabez kissed the top of my head, I gently pulled him to the table to eat. I was glad he was happy, as it made me even happier.

Only after stoking up a fire in the fireplace did I follow Ellie's urging and sit down at the table since we had lost all of our light. A lantern! Or a couple of candles. We could use some means of light other than the fire to light up our new home. Summer and roaring fires didn't exactly go together. But I did like to watch the flames and daydream about the beautiful things I'd made in the blacksmith's shop.

After one daydream, I looked over at Ellie. "What's your favourite memory from growing up?" I asked her curiously before spearing a lettuce leaf with my fork.

[Did you have anything else you wanted to accomplish in this RP? If not, what if we worked towards one last kerfuffle such as a conspiracy to kill Ellie's brother and Jabez gets to save the day and everyone is happy?]

I watched Jabez make a fire while I worked on creating dinner. I sat down, smiling. When asked about my childhood, I tilted my head. A bright smile lit my face. "Learning to sword fight." I said with a giggle. I took a bite of bread.

((I had thought about a plan to kill the king, but her brother works too X) I like the idea of him saving them~))

I chuckled. I should have known it was something like that considering how fond she was of her sword and showing off her skills. "How long did it take you to learn? Were you a natural or did you have to work at it?" I figured it wasn't the latter. Ellie seemed like the kind of person where everything would come naturally as long as she put her mind to it. Unlike me.

[Excellent! You bring it in and Jabez will finish it. ;) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
(Okay, haha ^~^ How about the next day?)

"It took a while.. Several months.. Before I could even lift the sword very well. I learned basic attacks and blocks... Then I was given my sword, it was a lot lighter, and I learned most of what I know now. Roughly three years of practice. Once I got this sword though, it came a little easier." I said happily, continuing to nibble.

"Well, however long it took you to learn, you fight like a natural," I replied. "Just watching you fight at the sword challenge in my village... I couldn't believe how well you handled your sword and those men. I'd never seen a display like that before." I fell into silence then, thinking about the last month and how much had happened in so short a time. Ellie had brought a whirlwind of action into my life and seemed so natural in that context. But then, she also seemed so at home here, sitting here in our cozy little cabin with very little but the wilderness and the beautiful scenery to entertain.

I had to admit, as exciting as fighting off brigands had been, I preferred the quiet, loving home where everything was stable and able to be relied upon. "What do you want most in your life, Ellie?" I asked as an afterthought.

[Sounds good! Can't wait. ^^]

I looked up, tilting my head. "Most?" I said curiosly. I sat thoughtfully for several minutes before nodding to myself. "To make a difference in the kingdom." I said with a faint smile.

"You've already made a difference in my life," I whispered.

After supper came bed time, and with bed time came my favourite part of the day: snuggling with Ellie. I loved having her so close and in my arms, just a breath away from kissing her hair or nuzzling her cheek. Then came sleep, and I drifted off, the happiest I had ever been.

---

The next morning, I got up at my usual hour and took the time to stop by our garden before heading out to work. I wanted to make sure the beds were still all right and no animals had come in to dig up our hard work. To my relief, they were fine. Gathering up the borrowed tools, I then turned on my heel and walked more briskly than usual to the palace. But before I made it to the gate, a couple of vehement whispers drifted by and caught my ear. Curious, I slowed down and walked a little closer to the sounds.

I smiled softly at Jabez's whisper. When we finished eating, I was all too happy to cuddle again. I loved being close, held in his arms. I slowly managed to fall asleep, my head resting on his chest.

--

I woke up a little earlier than usual and stretched, yawning. Jabez was already gone by now. I hopped out of bed and straightened my dress. I really needed to move my clothes into here so I didn't have to go to my old room to change.. Shrugging the thought off, I headed back to the castle. I wasn't really hungry, so I skipped my typical stroll through the market. I just wanted to say good morning to Jabez! It wasn't until I was halfway to the castle that I noticed how many people seemed to be missing from the streets. I stopped in my tracks, looking around. It was much quieter than normal, and that worried me a little. I decided to continue on, much slower and cautious now. I really wished I'd grabbed my sword before I left.

"...and you're sure the guards won't be expecting anything by the time Phil makes it past the servant's quarters?" came one gruff voice from off in the shrubbery. "That's a lot of people and events to get lined up. Sounds a bit too complicated if you ask me."

"Stuff 'n' nonsense!" cried a more blustery voice. "This plan is fool proof if we can find one lowly servant to pay off. I can guarantee you, the Prince will be dead before the month is out."

Upon hearing that, I blanched. The prince? As in Ellie's brother? Why? But that last question was not to be answered. In my attempt to draw closer, I accidentally stepped on a twig and it snapped, causing the two in the distance to hush up and sneak away. I didn't even get a good look at their backs. Disturbed, but not knowing what else to do, I continued my way to the gardens to begin working.

Status
Not open for further replies.