*Closed* Royal and Not *Lady AlainXShadow Assassin*

• Thread starter DJae Writer Chick
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time I was able to get up again, David was gone as well as his captors and five masked swordsmen had me surrounded. All of them drew their swords and pointed them towards me. They were so focused on me that none of them noticed Ellie coming from the dining room. I met her gaze and nodded to the man just off to her left. If she could take him out, I could aim for the swordsman next to him and hopefully wrest his sword from him. A sword would be much better than the mace in these close quarters.

I waited for Ellie to move.

I felt like I couldn't breathe, but my reaction was almost instantaneous as my gaze met Jabez. I silently, slowly snuck up behind the man, one arm wrapping around his neck, the other grabbing this wrist. I threw him to the ground, attempting to get his sword, still putting enough pressure on his throat to heavily hinder his breathing. I was angry, and terrified, which added much more to my adrenaline.

The moment Ellie moved, I sprang for my target, tossing the mace behind me to discourage the others from closing in. I was able to knock the man to the ground with the force of my body weight and wrestled for control of his sword. The other swordsmen moved in.

"It's the princess!" one of them exclaimed.

"Quick! Does anyone have another sack?" asked another.

A third one chimed in, "Don't harm her!"

I managed to yank the sword out of my opponent's hand and conked him on the head with the butt end, effectively knocking him out. Then I scrambled to my feet as a blade slashed dangerously close to where my head had been moments before. My breath came in halting gasps of air. I pivoted on my heel to see how Ellie was doing, deflecting two rapiers and sending their owners stumbling back in the process.

"Your brother!" I gasped, "They kidnapped your brother!"

I managed to get the sword.. But only because the man had fallen unconscious from lack of oxygen. I stood, looking to Jabez, shaky. Seeing someone move, I brought my sword up and caught his blade, knocking it aside. I looked to Jabez. "We have to save him!" I said as I disarmed the man, kicking him to the ground and holding the blade in front of his neck. That left two.

I nodded at Ellie in agreement. We had no idea which way they had taken the prince, but surely one of these men would know! I ducked as one of the swordsmen aimed for my head and rammed into his chest. He made a squealing sound like a pig as the air whooshed from his lungs. I took the opportunity to back him into the wall and held the wrist of his sword arm against the wall, my knee pinning him in place.

"Where are you taking the prince?" I demanded.

"I'll... never... tell you!" he answered breathlessly.

"Would you like to tell that to the prison guards?"

It wasn't much of a threat, as I highly doubted anyone would listen to me and throw this man in the dungeon, but it seemed to work. The man hung his head. "They'll be sneaking him through the servants' sleeping quarters."

"Thank you." I let him go and glanced back at Ellie. "Do you know a shortcut to that part of the castle?"

I kicked the side of the man's head, knocking him out as I ducked, avoiding the last man's blade, but as Jabez pinned the other man to the wall and I stood defensive with the stolen sword, the man turn and fled. I turned to Jabez, listening to the interrogation. "Yes, it believe so.." I said as I tossed the sword to the ground. I drew my own, spinning it. That felt much better.. Part of my mind questioned why I hadn't grabbed it in the first place. For the first time I realized I had actually panicked.. I shook my head. "Let's go." I said, looking up at Jabez. "We need to get there before them."

I set my hand on her shoulder, my eyes brimming with my concern for her. She was right, we did need to get there before them, but I could see that she had been shaken up by the ordeal. No matter what was happening, her well-being came first. I offered her an encouraging smile.

"We will stop them, Ellie. We won't let them get away with this. I promise." I gave her shoulder a squeeze. "Are you okay?"

I looked up at Jabez, amazed by his calmness. I nodded, managing to relax some. "I am now.." I nodded again, glancing to where they disappeared off to. "C'mon." I set my hand atop his for only a moment before I stepped forwards, sword held close, walking towards a shaded hallway, a shortcut.

It never occurred to me that I could be anything but calm in a situation like this. I always kept my head when under pressure, always used my wits. They were what saved me in unintentional tavern brawls or when thugs unexpectedly attacked in alleyways and the pretty girl I'd just met turned out to be their target. And now, they were the pillar of strength Ellie could lean upon in this hour of need.

I held the 'borrowed' sword firmly in my hand and followed Ellie down the hallway, hoping we could get to David in time.

I pause outside the hallway, listening before I glanced at Jabez, giving a silent nod and quickly moving forwards. The hallway had no doors or windows, the only way in or out was the beginning and end, both sides hidden by a banner that hung from the ceiling. I hoped we could make it there before they got out.. This tunnel would put us just outside the door, where we could intercept them if we were fast enough. I prayed we were..

I followed Ellie down the hallway. Every once in a while a passageway veered off to a side door like the one we had come through. The tunnel had so many twist and turns, I was glad she was in front or I probably would have gotten lost and taken a turn before I was supposed to. At last we neared the end of the tunnel and she stopped before a door. I brushed past her to open it first-- there was no way I would let her walk into a fight if I could help it!

The corridor outside was empty except for Lionel at his post. I frowned and pushed open the door a little wider. Were we late? Then I heard it... footsteps. Several footsteps. Stepping into the corridor were the two men and David caught between them!

"We made it!" I turned back to whisper to Ellie. Gripping my sword tightly in my hand, I jumped out in front of the two hooded men. "Stop right there!" They halted, shocked by my sudden appearance, and then one of them pushed David onto the other man and took out his sword.

"We just can't get rid of you, can we?" he said menacingly, taking a step forward.

"Not when you're threatening my wife's family," I snapped back, also taking a step forward.

"Then I suppose I better make sure you can't alert anyone else!"

The man lept towards me and I caught his blade with my own, pushing him back towards the wall. He grit his teeth and strained against the force. Slowly, I felt my position weaken as my foot began to slip on the stone floor and I had to readjust my hold on the hilt. The man took that as his opportunity to swing at me and I barely caught his sword with mine in time to ward off the blow. Our swords clashed again and again while the other man holding David inched his way along the outside wall towards the door that Lionel was quickly trying to unlock and open...

As Jabez jumped out, I stayed hidden behind the door. My eyes were on the clash until I heard the jingle of keys. "Traitors!" I gasped as I stepped out, my sword pointed at them. "Back away from my brother!" I said angrily, approaching, my sword pointed at their necks. "Now!"

Ellie's entrance startled the man I was locked in combat with and I used the diversion to knock him senseless on the side of his head with the butt of my sword. He slumped to the ground easily and I joined Ellie. It was now two against two, and considering none of the other members of their ambush party had made it past us in the previous skirmish, I figured we had the upper hand.

But I didn't count on the other hooded man to give up his prize to save his own neck. The man shoved David towards Ellie and disappeared down the tunnel we'd just come through.

Lionel turned around slowly from the door, dropping the keys as he lifted up his hands in surrender. "I have no part in this!" he exclaimed. "Just doing what I was told to do like anybody would in my position." I hurried forward to collect his keys and check down the passageway for the other man. He was nowhere in sight. I turned back to Ellie. "What do you want to do, Els? Should I try to chase the other man or should we take his partner to your father? And you...!" I whirled back to catch Lionel by the throat as he tried to slip away, "I know you have much more to do with this than you'd like us to believe!" He raised his fists as if contemplating starting a brawl, but I was so much bigger than him he decided to stay put. I slowly released him and pointed towards the unconscious man. Lionel moved to stand by him.

"Well, Ellie? What do you think?"

I watched the men closely as Jabez started over. When David was shivers towards me, I dropped my sword to catch him and help him out of his bondage. "Take him to father." I said, glaring at him. "The other man should not be an issue again." I said as I glared at Lionel.

Nodding, I picked up the stunned man and threw him over my shoulder, then aimed my sword at Lionel so he didn't get any fancy ideas about running after his friend. I turned to David. "Are you all right?"

David nodded weakly, wide-eyed. I kept an arm around him to help him stand. He was shaky. "C'mon.. Let's find father.." I said, calmer now. Nudging the sword with my toe, I picked it up and sheathed it, still holding David up.

Walking single-file down the halls of the castle, we made quite the procession. Lionel led the way with me close behind with my sword and Ellie was only a step or two behind me with David. Eventually, the unconscious man came to and I paused to set him down so he could walk with Lionel with his hands tied behind his back with the rope they'd used to secure the hood over David's head. Both of them seemed rather shaken up over the ordeal so I wasn't too worried about them trying to attack us to escape.

Finally, we made it to the king's study where one of the maids had said he'd retired to after dinner. I stood outside the door with the two prisoners, nervous about facing Ellie's father again. I knew he didn't like me. Turning to Ellie, I said, "You should probably go in first and explain the situation. I don't think your father will listen to me."

I looked at David as we stopped, worried by his pale complexion. Had sickness set in again? I looked up at Jabez. "Uh.. Okay..." I said hesitantly. I helped David to the door and knocked.

"Come in." I heard from inside. I nudged the door open and helped David to a chair.

"What happened?!?!" The King asked, standing and moving over to his son's side.

"He was attacked.." I said worriedly. "Some men tried to kidnap him-" I was cut off.

"Did the guards catch these men?" He asked impatiently.

I shook my head. "No... But my husband caught two of them."
I said as I glanced at the door.

The King tensed. "Your husband?" He turned to me.

I nodded. "He saw suspicious activity and alerted me to the danger... Then he caught the traitors and saved David."
I said as I looked to my brother, who nodded weakly.

The King seemed hesitant. "Where are they now?"

"Jabez and the two prisoners are right outside the door."
I stated, calmer now that he'd semi-relaxed. I turned and walked over to you, smiling faintly. "Just be honest with him.."

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, anxiously waiting for Ellie to come back out of the room, but at the same time wishing she wouldn't. I didn't really want to face her father again. He reminded me too much of the people in the village who made it perfectly clear to the blacksmith they didn't want a "monster" like me to touch their projects. Even though I was used to that kind of treatment, it still hurt.

All too soon she returned, though her little half-smile was somewhat reassuring. Just tell him what happened? Yes, yes I could do that. I swallowed hard and motioned for Lionel and his accomplice to head into the study. Just tell him what happened. I followed them in and hesitantly searched the room for the king, finally setting my gaze on him and looking him in the eye.

"Your Majesty," I said, giving him a short bow. "I caught these two men in a plot to kidnap your son. There was a third kidnapper involved, as well as one of your courtiers, but the kidnapper got away. I am not sure of names, but I am certain I can recognize faces and/or voices if presented." I paused to take a breath and wait for a response.

[Sorry about the long delay! I didn't have much time for posting over the holidays. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!]

((It's alright. And I did! I hope you did as well~))

The King didn't say anything for a long moment, just looking between Jabez and the two men. I shifted a little, standing proudly next to Jabez. No matter what my father would say, I would always be proud and supportive of Jabez... He always did the right thing, and I didn't care what his blood was like. Father would just have to put that aside...

David shifted and the King knelt down, listening to his quiet whisper. The King looked down at him, then nodded. He straightened, walking over Jabez and extending his hand for a handshake. "Well. Then I suppose I shall thank you for saving my son's life and the future of this kingdom." He glanced at me before looking back at Jabez. "I suppose Eclipse might know a little on who the right people are. Thank you." He said, the last words a little more sincere than the formal declaration of the first bit. He then turned to the prisoners, his calm expression turning to an angry scowl. "And you will pay for your treachery against this kingdom." He growled.
I smiled as I looked up at Jabez.

Status
Not open for further replies.