*Closed* Royal and Not *Lady AlainXShadow Assassin*

• Thread starter DJae Writer Chick
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the remainder of the day, nothing else piqued my curiosity. No movements, no people talking behind trees, nothing out of the ordinary. I wasn't sure if I should be glad about that or even more worried. It wasn't until I packed up to head home that things took a turn for the worse. By then the sun sat low in the sky, casting long shadows across the castle grounds. Shadows perfect for conducting shady business.

I saw the yellow and green again. A rather average looking man with a lithe build breezed through the garden gate, his green cloak flowing out behind him. He walked with purpose, as if he had every right to be there. For all I know, he did. Only, my gut told me that this was the guy I'd glimpsed earlier and he was up to no good. I strode out to meet him, my love for Ellie and her love for her family overshadowing any reservations.

"Can I help you, sir?" I asked, blocking the path so he couldn't get past unless he tread upon the grass in his shiny, gold-buckled slippers. As I suspected, he stopped and frowned up at me.

"Who are you and how dare you address me in such a manner, peasant?" he demanded, his scowl deepening with each enunciated syllable.

I saw to it that David returned to mother and father, and that he would be with them for the day.
It was getting late and I couldn't wait to go home and rest. It had been a long day.. I started towards the garden, worried that David might wander off on his own again.

"I am a gardener, sir, and you are in my garden," I replied, surprisingly bold today. I guess David pointing out that I was practically a prince had gotten into my head already. Was I turning into a snob? No, if I was a snob, I would have told the man I was Ellie's husband instead of a gardener. But then, I was also wanting to protect Ellie and her family and I couldn't do that as well if I was considered part of the enemy.

"Can I help you?" I repeated.

"Actually... peasant..." the man trailed off, his gaze darting off towards the palace. He frowned and pulled out a wax-sealed envelope from his coat pocket and handed it to me. "Give this to Lionel."

Before I could ask who Lionel was or firmly grasp the letter in my hand, the man pivoted on his heel and stormed away, his cloak swishing and floating behind him. There was nothing I could do but keep it, now. I stood on the garden path, completely confused and staring at the parchment in my hand.

Nearing the gate, I stopped as I saw a man walk out... I did not recognize him. I suddenly hurried to the gates, glancing into the garden before slowly entering. "Jabez?" I asked softly, biting my lip.

Turning the envelope over, my brow furrowed as I tried to make out the flowing script. Printed words were hard enough to read, but this was next to impossible. When Ellie appeared next to me, I showed her the letter.

"The man I saw earlier gave this to me. He wants it delivered to someone named Lionel. I can't read the script, though. Do you think it's okay if we open it?"

I felt relief flicker in my stomach. He was still okay..

Looking down at the package in his hands, I bit my lip. "I'm not sure.. I don't know who that is." I tilted my head. "Wait, was it from that man I saw leave?"

I nodded. "I'm certain I recognized his voice from the confrontation I ran into on my way here earlier today. Do you know him?"

I shook my head gravely, biting my lip slightly. "I don't know him... But if you know it was the same guy from earlier, we should find out what it says. It could have plans about how they're going to try and attack my brother!" I said quietly.

((I'm sorry for not responding! I never got a notification o,o))

Ellie was right. With shaking fingers, I undid the seal and pried open the parchment before handing it over to Ellie to read. I knew it would take way too long for me to try to make out the words.

Move tonight. East door at 8. Have cart ready by gate.
Quimby

I frowned. Nothing in the note said anything about the prince. It would hardly prove my theory, but at the same time it did not look very innocent. "Do you think it could be about Prince David? A plan to kidnap him maybe?"

[No worries!]

As I read over the note, I scowled. "It isn't very clear... But we can't be too cautious.." I said quietly as I folded the note in half. "We'll have to keep an eye out.."

I reached to take the parchment back. "I better find whoever this Lionel person is and give him the note. It might be worse if we interfere before we know what's going on." Stuffing the letter in the pocket of my vest, I tried to give Ellie a brave smile. "Your brother will be okay, Els. I won't let harm come to him." Then I set off for the servants' quarters in the castle to locate this mysterious Lionel.

After a few inquiries in the main kitchen, I soon discovered he was one of the guards who normally has his shift in the evenings. I also made a mental note that the servants' wing was on the east side of the palace. 'Which passageway and what door along here are they planning on using?' I thought to myself. The one off of the sleeping quarters? The kitchens? The assembly room? The pantries?

I turned the corner and walked down the corridor where the guards' rooms were and knocked on the fourth door on the right, where one of the kitchen maids had told me Lionel would be. A grunt sounded from behind the door and I could hear the rustle of straw as someone stood up from a mattress. I pulled the letter out from my vest and tapped it against my palm. The door creaked open just enough to show a hard, rough face of a man somewhere in his prime. Stubble littered his chin and spilled down his neck. His nose was crooked, most probably from a significant break, and a pale scar ran along one jaw.

"Yes?"

His breath reeked of port. I held out the letter. "This is for you."

He took it without looking at it and slammed the door. Well, that was done. At least I knew who to look out for now. I pivoted on my heel and hurried back the way I had come. Now all we could do was wait. Wait and keep an eye on David.

I nodded silently, fearfully watching Jabez leave. I prayed he would stay safe.. I dashed off to find my brother, my footsteps light as I traversed the halls. It took quite a while to find him down by the dining hall. He greeted me with a happy hug. I forced a smile, trying to pretend everything was okay, at least for now.

Time crept by slowly for the rest of the afternoon. Eventually, the sun began sinking towards the horizon and I headed into the palace kitchens to eat supper. I thought it'd be better sticking around than running home to eat and I knew Ellie would want to keep a close eye on her brother. Besides, the servants were delighted to have the opportunity to ogle at me in relative safety. I may technically be related to royalty now, but that didn't keep them from being nosy. The head cook greeted me as I entered the kitchen.

"Ah, the princess's new beau! Come on in and take up yerself a bowl. We eat right sharp around here to get ready for the big meal upstairs."

I obeyed without a word and sat down at the end of one of the long tables in the mess hall. A man-servant sat down next to me with a similar bowl and stared for a good moment before asking:

"So, where'd the princess pick you up, eh?"

I took a little bit of courage and stared right back. He wasn't nearly as frightening to me as the large cook. "Dorset."

"That's a small place. What were you doing there?"

I glanced towards the kitchen door before conveniently filling my mouth with stew, hoping against hope that Ellie would waltz through at any second.

A false smile plastered on my face, I sat with my brother by the table. We talked with my parents for about an hour or so before father gave me a strange look.
"Where is your husband?" He asked in an almost upset manner.
I simply looked back with a soft sigh. "Father, please.. He's working." I said softly.
My mother nudged him and the conversation resumed. In honestly, everything I did was an act. I was a wreck of nerves. In the heat of the moment I could make a decision with a clear mind, but to wait was pure agony. I glanced nervously at the Windows, praying our understanding of the situation had been wrong..

After finishing my stew and answering a few more pestering questions, I exited the kitchen and wandered down the halls to look for Lionel. It was almost time for the servants to bring up the meals for the royal family. And after that, it was whatever was happening at eight.

I found Lionel on his way to his post. Keeping to the shadows of the torch light, I followed him until we reached the outside entrance of the servants' quarters. He sat down at a side table. Another man was already there with two bowls I recognized from the kitchen. He set one in front of Lionel and then continued on down the hall in the opposite direction from where I was. I crept a little closer and found a niche in the stone wall where somehow I managed to fit most of me inside. I sat down and waited.

I was relieved to see the food come, breaking the conversation. If gave me an excuse to avoid any questions or talking. I kept a close eye out on the doors and windows, listening as my brother and parents spoke about a wide variety of topics. I didn't eat much, nibbling here and there on my food. It was getting closer to time and I just got more nervous at every passing moment.

Just as the city bells chimed eight o'clock, Lionel got up from his seat and, looking both ways down the hall first, proceeded to open the heavy oak door. Two cloaked and hooded figures passed through. They stopped, exchanged a few quiet words with the guard, and then all but floated down the hall towards me. My breath quickened and my heart flew up into my throat. I squeezed tighter into the hiding spot I'd found, praying for all I was worth that the dark figures wouldn't see me! They passed on by, their feet scarcely making a sound on the stone floor. I counted to ten before wriggling out of the niche to follow them.

At first I'd thought I'd lost them as the corridor was clear of anyone, but two passages down I caught sight of a hem of a cloak as it vanished around a corner. I hurried after it, making sure to make my own hefty steps as inaudible as possible. I followed the silent cloaks down one hall and up another. They seemed to know the best way to go to avoid the bustling servants for we didn't pass by a soul. We went up steps and into the royal family's quarters. My heartbeat grew more insistent within my chest, as if it threatened to beat hard enough to leave my chest!

They turned one last corner, but by the time I rounded it, they were gone. I panicked. Where had they gotten to? Then I heard voices coming from a set of double doors in the corridor. I crept closer and put my ear to the door. I recognized the voice of the king instantly. And Ellie. They were just wrapping up dinner and about ready to leave the room. The hooded figures must have hidden themselves somewhere to ambush the prince. I backed away from the door and slid behind a suit of armour standing nearby, waiting for the family to emerge.

Finally, everyone had finished eating. Father was the first to rise, mother at his side, as they bid us goodnight, father claiming he was going to retire to his bed and mother saying that she would be reading. My brother and I waved goodbye as they left, the doors closing behind them again. Several minutes passes as I waited for David, and when he stood, I did as well. He gave me a strange look.
"Eclipse, what is up with you tonight?" He asked with a concerned frown.
"You're in danger, David... You-"
He interrupted me.
"I have already told you that I am perfectly safe!" He frowned. "You should stop letting childish rumors run through your mind." He turned, starting out of the hallway. I stood in shock for a few moments as he opened the doors, stepping out..

In the amount of time it took me to blink, the two hooded figures materialized out of thin air with a large, burlap bag. The bag's gaping mouth was aimed for Prince David's head and I could see Ellie wasn't far behind him in the dining room. "Watch out!" I cried, lunging out from my hiding spot. But I was too late to warn David, one of the intruders had their arms already around his neck and was attempting to drag him away.

I patted myself for a weapon, but came up empty. I didn't even have a trowel tucked in my shirt! I could have cursed myself for coming empty-handed, but I realized that the suit I'd been hiding behind had a mace. Yanking the weapon from the display, I brandished it above my head and dove for the second hooded man who was trying to tie the bag around the prince.

"Let him go, now!" I demanded, but before I could reach him, I heard the sound of at least half a dozen footsteps come from behind me. Someone grabbed my arm, shoving it behind my back. I followed the momentum and dropped to my knees, throwing my assailant off-balance and he went toppling over my back.

I heard Jabez's shout and swore that my heart had stopped. Just as I made it to the door, I saw Jabez raise a mace over one of the men's head. I quickly looked away, not wanting to see the man's head explode... My eyes flickered open as I hurt more voices and, confused, I stood in paralyzed silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.